test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Great Old God Build

ragnakingragnaking Posts: 73 Arc User
edited September 2020 in Builds and Roles
Basically I want to see if a build that would befit a Old God from the H.P. Lovecraft lore. Specifically Hastur also known as the Yellow King and is considered a God of Shepherds. Naturally being one of the many eldritch beings that generally make you go mad if you see their true form, I figure the build would have various CC options (even though I know it isn't 100% viable for endgame I'm sure) to represent the strange effects and powers they have. Though that being said, maybe it's description on this wiki page will help with the build? Thanks in advance. Oh, and Hastur in the original works as depicted by Ambrose Bierce is actually pretty benevolent, so this could be even support build of sorts. I was originally trying to mix heavy weapons (to have a shepherd's staff to fit his God of Shepherds title) and mental that cause stuff like stress, regret, etc. But to be practical, that isn't very viable, but whatever you all come up with will be great, i'm certain.

https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Hastur

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    I think in cases like this it's important to also ask yourself what role (or roles) you want to typically play this sort of character as (melee dps, tank, support, etc). The type of content can also matter a bit. Nailing down the sort of powers you want is ofc important, but it's harder to make a cohesive build w/o knowing what sort of gameplay-based goals you have for it (if any) as well.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    The designation, "God of Shepherds," could also imply controller powers, given the implications of a flock of sheep. ;) That would more easily reconcile the "benevolent" aspect of Ambrose Bierce's Hastur, with the more malevolent interpretation by August Derleth. What you're describing would also be a very heavy hitter, which would need to be inserted into the setting carefully.

Note that the Champions Universe has its own analogues to Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and Outer Gods, i.e. the Kings of Edom, and other powerful denizens of the universes making up the Qliphoth. They aren't so much malevolent as alien and unsympathetic to our kind of life (despite how Champions Online developers have often chosen to depict them).

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    So, I will suggest a thematic, non-effective, build.

You need:
    -the Yellow sign (Hex of Suffering - Curse)
    -Madness (Madness Aura, Chaos, chaos! advantage - Mental Storm)
    -Mind warping (Mental Leech - Mind Control)
    -Foreign evil dimensions (Endbringer's grasp)
    -A gift of sight and mental clarity to those who follow the way to Carcosa (Aura of Arcane Clarity and Sentinel Aura/Mastery)
    -Tentacles (Shadow Embrace)
    -The Staff of the Shepherd (Guard)

Here it comes ... after stumbling queerly upon the hellish and forbidden book of horrors the two learn, among other hideous things which no sane mortal should know, that this talisman is indeed the nameless Yellow Sign handed down from the accursed cult of Hastur—from primordial Carcosa, whereof the volume treats...

also

An avatar of Hastur, or possibly Nyarlathotep, who is the title character of [the] play. The King In Yellow usually takes the form of a gigantic human dressed in tattered yellow robes, occasionally with wings or a halo. It usually wears the Pallid Mask which conceals the hideousness of its appearance. Worship of this being has increased dramatically in recent years, and many artists and intellectuals have fallen under the King's sway.

King in Yellow - Freeform (Support)
    v3.43:35

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 9: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 18: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Command Training (Int: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 3)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Shadow Manifestation
    Level 8: Mental Leech (Mental Weakness)
    Level 11: Aura of Arcane Clarity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Mind Control
    Level 17: Guard (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Mental Storm (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia)
    Level 26: Curse (Jinxed, Covet)
    Level 29: Madness Aura (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Hex of Suffering (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Endbringer's Grasp (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Resurgence
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations
    Presence: Dominion (2/2)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (1/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Rejuvenated (3/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
    Overseer: Overseer Aura (3/3)
    Overseer: Impact (2/2)
    Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Devices

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    How about HW and Fear? When I think of the Cthulhu mythos I always think of fear as the psychic state involved. It also gets you the weapon skin you want ;) This is just a first iteration to generate ideas. Things can obviously be changed.

Hastur - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.43:35

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Protector (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8)
    Level 6: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Shadow Shroud
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Dimensional Collapse (Glimpse of the Abyss)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire)
    Level 17: Enrage (Giant Growth)
    Level 20: Annihilate (Rank 2, Scorching Blade)
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Soul Vortex (Soul Drain)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Pulverizer
    Level 35: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Ghost Fire)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Overpower (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Note that the Champions Universe has its own analogues to Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and Outer Gods, i.e. the Kings of Edom, and other powerful denizens of the universes making up the Qliphoth. They aren't so much malevolent as alien and unsympathetic to our kind of life (despite how Champions Online developers have often chosen to depict them).

Hmm, maybe they would be nicer if we stopped invading the QWZ?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe they would be nicer if we stopped invading the QWZ?

ROFLMAO =)

• ragnakingragnaking Posts: 73 Arc User
    Well, it wouldn't be hard to rule the possibly that "Yellow King Hastur" is a avatar of the real one, hmm, though I guess, if it helps, this is what I have them looking like in game.
    oCfShNy.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Well, how important is it to you that this entity be the Hastur/King in Yellow? If you'd be satisfied with it being just a "Yellow King" evocative of the original source material, there are a number of ways you could present it both build-wise and setting-wise.

BTW very nice outfit. It does suggest a concept to me, but not exactly what you're asking for.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
    I’m open to what concept it brings to mind. Also thank you for the generous comment, I’m still not 100% satisfied with it sadly.
    edited September 2020
    Okay, this is what came to me, based on the kind of character you suggest you're looking for, and how his background and appearance resonates with established Champions lore, primarily what's detailed in the book, Champions Beyond, which focuses on the "alien" side of the Champs Universe. This is how I would go if it was my character, which may be quite different from what you want. But you should consider yourself free to use any or all of it. And if you have something else in mind, don't hesitate to clarify and ask for further suggestions. There's a great deal of info to work with. :)

The being who would one day be called the Yellow King was born a member of the Thane, a race of powerful telepaths, created long ago as slaves and weapons of the Elder Worm in their war against the Malvans. Like their masters the Thane fled and hid from the victorious Malvans, but in the 21st Century have begun to take steps to establish an interstellar empire of their own. However, loyalty to the Elder Worm is still bred into their very genes.

The Yellow King was a rare exception. He was born somehow lacking the drives and behaviors that the Worm had engineered into the Thane. While his fellows used their telepathy to dominate other sapients, Yellow King found much in the minds of other creatures to empathize with. But he hid his thoughts from the other Thane, seeking to conform by mastering sorcery and the magic-infused technology they inherited from the Elder Worm. But the day came when the Thane felt the mental stirring of the hereditary supreme leader of the Worm, who on Earth is known as the Slug. Yellow King was among those assigned to search for him, and was the first to discover his presence on a distant world its inhabitants called Earth.

Yellow King felt the profound malevolence in the mind of the Slug, the desire to rule and enslave and devour. He also felt the minds of the billions of free humans on Earth, and understood what would happen to them, and all the races of the galaxy, if the Slug achieved the power he sought. Yellow King realized he couldn't stand by and let that happen. Arming himself with several stolen artifacts, and adopting a garb evocative of the Worm's ancient enemies, the Golden Hunters of Malva, he used a magic ritual to transport himself to Earth. At first the natives reacted to his appearance with fear, but when he proved his intention to protect them their attitude began to change. One human he encountered remarked that his look made him think of a character from their fiction, so the rebel Thane adopted a variation of that character's name.

Now the Yellow King seeks to end the threat of the Slug for all time, and to protect his new world from the Elder Worm and any other threat, including his own people if need be.
    That’s a really cool backstory and actually works a lot better than I was having in mind. Does beg one question though, what do the thane look like?
    Obviously, enough like your toon that the connection occurred to me. ;) Here's their description from Champions Beyond p. 224:

"The average Thane is about 1.8 meters tall with disproportionately long arms and fingers. His moist, leathery skin is a disturbing brownish-purple shade, and his glowing orangish eyes bulge from their sockets (and, on close examination, are faceted like those of an insect). His mouth is a mass of large cilia or small tentacle-like appendages, rather than a jaw with teeth; no one knows what he eats, or how. He typically wears a hooded brown robe. Due to the strange nature of his creation, he doesn’t register on bioscanners and other life force sensors."
    I see 😮 So a support role mix of magic and telepathy maybe more fitting then.
    ragnaking wrote: »
    I see 😮 So a support role mix of magic and telepathy maybe more fitting then.

Probably so; but you don't have to completely abandon some other features that are reminiscent of Lovecraft. For example, the unnaturalness of the Thane induces instinctive fear and horror in natural life forms that see them, like us. Thane are also more resistant to injury than humans, and can survive in environmental conditions that would kill most living creatures. The Elder Worm magic which some Thane learn is mostly unpleasant, and based on Darkness effects, given the extant examples. This Yellow King may be benevolent, but the precedents say he could be a figurative and literal terror to his opponents.
    Hmm, I see, interesting, thanks for sharing this ^_^.