test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fixing Slotted Power Armor

pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
Toggle power armor has three major problems:
  1. It's overpowered relative to other ranged sets.
  2. It doesn't work without endgame gear.
  3. It doesn't play nicely with powers other than toggles.
I don't think those can be fixed without a fundamental rethink of how it's supposed to be used, but it should be possible with just adjustments to existing powers, rather than new powers. Changes I'd make:
  1. Hand toggles become standard maintains, with increased damage.
  2. Chest and Shoulder toggles become standard toggles (no lock-out) with long (60s?) cooldown, or some similar mechanism (balancing on cd is problematic when AoAC exists, but that's true with a lot of things).
  3. Hand slots get an advantage that reduces the cd on toggles.

Comments

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I like this idea. Although adding a bunch of ranged sparkstorms to the game is a bit worrisome.

Maybe have and advantage on the hand-maintains that reduces PA costs, and then make the toggles energy hogs.

Allowing other powersets to use the toggles without making them mandatory for maximizing dps would be the goal, in my mind anyway.

And yes, I am practicing the dark arts of thread necromancy.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Toggles are tricky things. On one hand they can be a cool way to use multiple powers at once when done right (ie; sparkstorm). On the other hand, they're prime powers for abuse (ie; the TK blade ult before it got nerfed).

Making them general toggles would mean having to ratchet up the cost on them quite a bit, even for existing PA powers. That isn't always easy to do. For example, Madness Aura suffers from being a toggle that is outrageously expensive, and since it scales uniquely from presence, it's nearly impossible to use it in a dedicated fashion on anything but a very energy-efficient healer.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    As long as i can keep 3 powers running at same time.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    I like this idea. Although adding a bunch of ranged sparkstorms to the game is a bit worrisome.
    Sparkstorm toggle doesn't have a cooldown (though it probably should). In general the way toggles should be balanced (but probably aren't) is to treat it as an interruptible DoT with a casting time of its initial activation time, a duration of the toggle duration, and a cost of the full maintain toggle cost.