test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dear devs, please please please pretty please

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
edited August 2020 in Suggestions Box
There are a couple of things I have wanted to see happen in this game for a long time:

1) an updated daily for Overwatch Hotspots. Why? Because I love having missions that send me out into the game world, but the current rewards aren't worth the time.

2) a daily Nemesis mission from the Nem contact police guy. Why? Again, I love these Nem missions that send you out to different places, and getting to fight your own custom enemies. However the randomness of the current system just doesn't give people the regular opportunity to play this content that it deserves, IMO.

Also, considering giving people a choice of rewards. Let them choose between questionite or tokens or whatever else instead of only offering one. Why? Because if someone doesn't care about Nem tokens or gear, they have zero reason to play the Nem missions. But if they get a choice of something else they may want, now they do. Reward choice gives more people a reason to play content that they may not otherwise play.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    For Nemesis daily missions just see Lt. Chair behind the Until/Unity building. Sometimes he needs a little coaxing, but he always comes through ;)

I have several times suggested both updating the mobs fought in the Unity 1 missions and giving the missions a bit better reward. I guess that since the Devs seem to want end game content to involve groups of players these soloable missions aren't likely to see any love.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting these things. I admit I know nothing about game development, but it would seem to me like these minor improvements would be "easy wins" because they would take little actual work (compared to creating brand new stuff anyway) but greatly improve the 'value' of the existing content in question.Hopefully the devs can find a way to fit this into their schedule :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I sometimes wonder if the devs think it is too difficult/too much trouble to make content that is equally fun, challenging and interesting for solo dps, tank, and support characters. However, of late I've set myself the task of trying to solo the QWZ with characters from all these roles and have, for the most part, been successful in doing it. Not always easy, but patience and planning (along with a non-stupid build) usually pay off. If they could make the Unity missions more like the QWZ missions and with comparable rewards, I know I would do them.

However, perhaps they are worried that if they make actual, intended soloable end game content with some decent rewards there will be less participation in their favored group end game content. I doubt we'll ever know.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    edited July 2020
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if the devs think it is too difficult/too much trouble to make content that is equally fun, challenging and interesting for solo dps, tank, and support characters. However, of late I've set myself the task of trying to solo the QWZ with characters from all these roles and have, for the most part, been successful in doing it. Not always easy, but patience and planning (along with a non-stupid build) usually pay off. If they could make the Unity missions more like the QWZ missions and with comparable rewards, I know I would do them.

However, perhaps they are worried that if they make actual, intended soloable end game content with some decent rewards there will be less participation in their favored group end game content. I doubt we'll ever know.

I do understand that in a game with a smaller playerbase it's important content to group people up. That said, I do miss the feeling of doing things solo, and feel like the 2 types of content mentioned in this thread would give me exactly the solo experience I'm after...if the rewards were remotely worth it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Nemesis Weapons!1!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    I've been saying it for years. Put rewards in the old missions that are worth getting and people will play them. A lot of folks play solo (hell, in games like Dungeons and Dragons Online and Star Trek Online, it's pretty much 70% of the population). Given that alerts already provide the XP needs, then missions should offer something worthwhile.
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    There are a couple of things I have wanted to see happen in this game for a long time:

1) an updated daily for Overwatch Hotspots. Why? Because I love having missions that send me out into the game world, but the current rewards aren't worth the time.

2) a daily Nemesis mission from the Nem contact police guy. Why? Again, I love these Nem missions that send you out to different places, and getting to fight your own custom enemies. However the randomness of the current system just doesn't give people the regular opportunity to play this content that it deserves, IMO.

Also, considering giving people a choice of rewards. Let them choose between questionite or tokens or whatever else instead of only offering one. Why? Because if someone doesn't care about Nem tokens or gear, they have zero reason to play the Nem missions. But if they get a choice of something else they may want, now they do. Reward choice gives more people a reason to play content that they may not otherwise play.

I absolutely love #2. A daily Nemesis mission would be awesome. I like the concept of the Nemesis system it just needs... more.

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    The only issue w/this stuff is that it's steamroll easy. In order to get better things to come out of it, it needs to have a 500% difficulty hike, rather than just mowing over everything.

But, it would be nice to have something to do, that wasn't so repetitive.
    [NbK]XStorm
    edited July 2020
    nbkxs wrote: »
    The only issue w/this stuff is that it's steamroll easy. In order to get better things to come out of it, it needs to have a 500% difficulty hike, rather than just mowing over everything.

Sometimes rewards are based more on the amount of time it takes to do something than the actual difficulty of doing it. Some of the dailies we're doing right now involve no combat at all (fireworks, for example) but take 5-10 minutes to complete. On the other hand the Red Winter alert does involve combat, but only takes about 5 mins to complete.

So I see no issue with having comparable rewards in a daily nem mission that would take at least 5-10 mins to complete when you include the travel time to wherever it's at. The same goes for the Overwatch missions which will involve going to half a dozen different zones.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Some of the Unity missions involve Elder Worms. They have already been updated (for QWZ) and are also tougher in Unity missions (and everywhere else in the game). Give each Unity Elder worm group a Follower and Sorcerer and a small boss at least. So, if they update other mobs in general (maybe swap in New Shadows in some places since they have been recently updated?), Unity would become tougher as well. How tough do they have to be is the next question.

Personally, I'd like each Unity mission to be as tough as one of the various QWZ dailies. Players with powerful builds or who know what they are doing will be able to solo them, other players may want a buddy (no vehicle farming since all indoors!). The missions would be structured similarly to the QWZ as well. Each Unity mission would be worth 3 SCR, and if a player completes a set of 5 they get 5 more SCR (same as QWZ Nightwatch) for 20 each day. Complete the set of dailies five times and get a bigger SCR bonus and a little GCR.

Something like that would be fun for me.
    nbkxs wrote: »

JwLmWoa.png
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    Sometimes rewards are based more on the amount of time it takes to do something than the actual difficulty of doing it. Some of the dailies we're doing right now involve no combat at all (fireworks, for example) but take 5-10 minutes to complete. On the other hand the Red Winter alert does involve combat, but only takes about 5 mins to complete.

So I see no issue with having comparable rewards in a daily nem mission that would take at least 5-10 mins to complete when you include the travel time to wherever it's at. The same goes for the Overwatch missions which will involve going to half a dozen different zones.

Agreed.

Not all content needs to require the latest super uber doober goober equipment with a min/max build simply to slog through it for better rewards. I think a lot of people forget there is a difficulty setting in Champions. What needs working on is that system, so those who want top level rewards will get them - and the challenge that goes with it - on the highest difficulty settings. That way my theme build character can enjoy the same content as someone who is playing the latest fad-of-the-moment build.

Sadly, I think the dev team has forgotten this too. Content like Therakiel's Lair is now locked out for almost every casual character. If there was better scaling of the difficulty system, this wouldn't have to be the case. As more and more of the game is moving this direction, the less and less my characters feel like Champions and more like glorified by-standers.

That's one of the great things about the UNITY and Nemesis content, my hero feels like a hero - traveling the world and putting a stop to the bad guys! Especially when I don't have time to wait around for a group to form. And that makes them terrific candidates for a 'daily' mission system as proposed by the OP.
    That's one of the great things about the UNITY and Nemesis content, my hero feels like a hero - traveling the world and putting a stop to the bad guys! Especially when I don't have time to wait around for a group to form. And that makes them terrific candidates for a 'daily' mission system as proposed by the OP.

Yes. While teaming is great and should be necessary sometimes, we need some daily heroic stuff to do on our own. And while I know you can replay the story packs and recent serial missions, those are the same every time you do them. At least the Nem missions and Overwatch have some feel of randomness to them, and get you traveling around the game world.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I beg to disagree on one point.
    There are players who're top geared and therefore want to challenge their build which, in my opinion, makes sense. The rework of Therakiel Lair is meant this way and I believe it's the way to go.

However it's true that old content shouldn't be neglected as the playerbase is wider than a bunch of top-geared players. So I hope that devs will look into nem and unity missions but not to make them harder (that would be a fail answer) but to make them more appealing for everyone.
    I beg to disagree on one point.
    There are players who're top geared and therefore want to challenge their build which, in my opinion, makes sense. The rework of Therakiel Lair is meant this way and I believe it's the way to go.

However it's true that old content shouldn't be neglected as the playerbase is wider than a bunch of top-geared players. So I hope that devs will look into nem and unity missions but not to make them harder (that would be a fail answer) but to make them more appealing for everyone.

Considering what you said in your second paragraph, I don't think we're disagreeing at all. Yes, high end content for high end players is good. No, this particular idea isn't about that. So it sounds like we agree :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Yes, I was only disagreeing on the point about Therakiel Lair mentioned by another OP.
    Yes, I was only disagreeing on the point about Therakiel Lair mentioned by another OP.

Hmm. I didn't realize a thread could have two OP's :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    My problem with the Unity missions is that the hotspot missions are utter trash -- basic warehouse/cave missions where you run through a generic complex defeating stuff and/or interacting with glowies (there's also the side problem of finding missions that are in the lemurian coral). Likewise for the UNITY 2 path of the elements missions. If you were to delete the filler and only use the special assignments (8 unity, 4 unity 2) they would be more tolerable, though they do need to be tuned up to reflect the power level of PCs in 2020 rather than the power level of PCs in 2009.
    I mentioned this in another thread but it's along the same lines as what I'm hoping for here so:

A 'mega daily' where Defender gives an assignment to complete an open mission in every world/zone.

This would be awesome (IMO) because it gives you a choice of what open mission you want to do(meaning you don't have to do the same on every day) plus it gives you a reason to visit all of the different areas in the game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    One problem is that players will likely start doing the ones they can complete the quickest and for the least effort.
    This would be awesome (IMO) because it gives you a choice of what open mission you want to do(meaning you don't have to do the same on every day) plus it gives you a reason to visit all of the different areas in the game.

JwLmWoa.png
    edited July 2020
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    One problem is that players will likely start doing the ones they can complete the quickest and for the least effort.

While that may be true, I don't actually see it actually being a "problem". Smash alerts take less time than others, but they still have a daily.

Let's say it takes someone 5 minutes to complete an open mission in each zone; we're talking at least 30 minutes to do the hypothetical "mega". So assuming the rewards numbers are based upon a 30 minute time investment, what would the actual problem be?

That said, I also wouldn't mind the system picking the OM for you :)
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • cheeseagent69cheeseagent69 Posts: 35 Arc User
    i agree, should add more dailies and make open world missions more accessible to all players. This is a super hero game, as heroes we shud be patrolling cities, and fighting petty crimes until the big baddies decide to show up. But honestly, other than the prison one i havent doen any open missions since i started palyinfg when it went f2p. Not only are the rewards useless, they're not really that fun to do. I think they should add Q rewards to these, alongside recogn based on level. At 40 would be nice to get some silver recogn. And maybe gold recogn from weeklies? I know q-warzone has gold recogn from weeklies but u only get like one.

Would be nice if we can at least get 5 gold recogn per week doin glike nem dailies, q-warzone, open world missions ect. With population gradually decreasing and time and stuff prbly will help a bit if u dun got time for waiting on a timer for cosmics, or even finding a group for em. Wont matter much tho, game is decreasing in population, ive already burnt playing, mostly go on for fashion **** lol. New content have been minor, any new powers are locked behind lockboxes, tho i do praise em for some new changes and at least one free ultimate (while some changes i despise.)

But yea, more daily/weekly missions to encourage world exploration and for peeps like me already 40 to come in and actually play. Kinda tired of farming Q-warzone for heroics for my alts lol. But meh.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    I mentioned this in another thread but it's along the same lines as what I'm hoping for here so:

A 'mega daily' where Defender gives an assignment to complete an open mission in every world/zone.

No picking.

Rotate the OM.

It not only keeps people from just doing the "easy" mission every day, but makes sure that everyone is going to have a fair shot at getting to their favorite zones for the extras.

But, and I am seriously asking here, how long has Bunker Buster been broken?

I know it's a number of years, but I was wondering if anyone could narrow it down.

And that is the obstacle that the game is up against.

They either do not care or are not capable of fixing existing broken stuff now in terms of the nemesis missions.
    They do not care about the nemesis stuff.
    It is a dead system to whatever collection of people the game can claim as its dev team.

To me the game needs a heck of a lot more help than just a few more missions. It needs a total revamp and we all know, or should know, that that is not happening.

The ironic thing is that even though Cryptic bought the Champions IP (And PWE owns it since they bought Cryptic), the game may have damaged the IP in the eyes of prospective customers.

And, seriously asking again, when was the last time that there was new printed Champions material?
    When was the last time there was new downloadable content for sale?

I looked some time back and it seemed like there was just all the old stuff, and most of it was only available as a download.
    As in, Cryptic bought the IP but didn't do anything to support it. They are just letting it exist in the state they found it in.

Much like the game exists now.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Cryptic purchased the IP, but licensed the tabletop rights back to Hero Games. If you want new TTRPG supplements, talk to them, not us here in the forums.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    My problem with the Unity missions is that the hotspot missions are utter trash -- basic warehouse/cave missions where you run through a generic complex defeating stuff and/or interacting with glowies (there's also the side problem of finding missions that are in the lemurian coral). Likewise for the UNITY 2 path of the elements missions. If you were to delete the filler and only use the special assignments (8 unity, 4 unity 2) they would be more tolerable, though they do need to be tuned up to reflect the power level of PCs in 2020 rather than the power level of PCs in 2009.

That they're basic is a problem. That they're easy? Not so much. They were trivial in 2009 too. So what?

The real update these things need is EVERY UNITY MISSION SHOULD HAVE A BOSS. Creating a pile of ~nemesis difficulty supervillains and dropping them into the current UNITY missions shouldn't be too hard. The only memorable UNITY mission is the one with Corazon? Charazad? Whatever the miniature godzilla is called again. And its because he's a unique character.

Superheroes fight *Supervillains* doing things. Just mobs of mooks makes it feel like its some sort of special forces simulator instead of a superhero game. (Admittedly a special forces simulator in a lovecraftian world, but still not superheroic).
    There are so many fun villains just scattered through Bunker Buster. It would be nice to see some of them in the Unity missions.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Hmm, maybe if the Dev's friends on Discord suggest that what Unity really needs is the TT-style revamp something will happen? ;)
    JwLmWoa.png