test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yet anotehr attempt at Efreeti & Genie toons :)

ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
Looking for tips, ideas, and just plain help. :)

SO, I officially have the 'isolation bug'. I have been (trying) to churn out new toons faster than I can actually play and level them.
Now I'm on a genie-theme kick. (For today at least)
I want to build an Efreeti (Fire Djinn) and an 'genie', (which has SO many possibilities.)
Lets start with the one I have a clue with. Efreeti. Image of a big, burly guy with a scimitar and fire powers.

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=35&n=Effreet A (mostly Rng)&d=15730WEFAPQa0L00002000H109H60128032A00K5032D002M0725032L032N032O002P032Q000cZ43bhy3bDM10000000000&e=

Freeform[/url][/u][/b] (Any / Multiple)
v3.43:35

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 9: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
Level 12: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Throw Fire
Level 1: Cleave (Rank 2, Rampant)
Level 6: Guard (Rank 2)
Level 8: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Fiery Will
Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Thermal Reverberation
Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
Level 23: Living Fire (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Pyromancer's Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Flashfire (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Fire Snake
Level 35: Hydra (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace
Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Magic Carpet
Level 35:

Specializations
Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

This is not a leveling build as-is, just grouped certain powers together for simplicity.
Cleave is his 'main' (close range) filler/AoE, and Incinerate is his main single target attack.
Everything else power-wise is fire, more fire, debuffs etc. or in the case of pyromancers blades, looks cool. ;P
Everything after Incinerate is negotiable, but I like all the powers for the 'Efreet-fire-magic' feel.

I think it will run as-is? trying to tweak it to be better. Maybe swap Ego PSS for STR PSS, and trade Fiery Form for invulnerability, and run it as a hybrid/DPS.(?) Maybe drop the self-res and take 'Absorb Heat' for another heal?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance! :)

~Rags~

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    It's okay as is, I suppose- though the plasytyle of having the main single-target attack being ranged and the main AoE being melee is a bit weird overall. I guess that's my main contention w/ the build as a whole- is that the mix of range and melee makes me not quite sure how you plan on playing it usually (ofc, you can't be optimal at both melee and ranged simultaneously, so you'd have to decide where your focus is a bit). So, that makes it kinda hard for me to recommend power changes atm. I guess on the melee side you could consider something like Arc of Ruin for a pbAoE + extra debuff w/ its advs (could maybe replace Living Fire). Also, Fiery Form is good for Fire, but won't boost any Crushing dmg on any HW attacks you take (like Cleave); you could just take NW as a universal dps passive (and just not use the sneak if it's not thematic).

Absorb Heat could be a fine heal, sure- though you'd have to be w/in 25ft of the target to benefit from it. And yea, you could also run it as a Hybrid-dps instead (and/or go with dual passives); that's really just up to you and what you want to focus on w/ the build. Str PSS could be okay if you wanted to be more defensive w/ Juggernaut + Con SS (and maybe to have more knock resist), otherwise Ego PSS is nice cause its crit bonus from 6th Sense is universal (whereas Str's Overpower only applies to melee). Also, if Rec is your main stat here (assuming for Fiery Will), then you'd prob want 3/3 in 6th Sense. I may also get your 3 SS's and a bit of End in your talents, instead of Str (End can help TReverb a bit), and maybe also get Focused Strikes in Vindicator (for Incinerate).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Do you want to use the actual Fire set, or would something that looks a bit fiery work? TK blades might supply you with what you want. Just take a sword that looks scimitarish. Could use the Warlock's Baldes and some sigils instead of Hydra, Other fire aspects would come from auras you use. I only ask because sometimes people are more interested in "look", rather than actual power sets.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    @flow- Thx for thoughts, as always. Yeah he's a bit all over the place I admit. ;P
    I admittedly went with 'What powers I like/look cool' rather than min/max or work best together. (Although I did throw in fire snake only for debuff boost.)
    My first thought was run him as a mostly ranged based, (Spell casting efreeti) Dropping fire patches and incinerating, and use Sigils & Cleave when he gets mobs up close. I was NOT aware that Ego's Sixth Sense was universal, Good tip, thx.
    I'd be OK with swapping and running him as a hybrid/DPS HW I think. (I plan on making my Genie/Djinn ranged for sure) I already have a HW/Fire toon that I like, and I didn't want to take all the same powers. :) Just looking at new approaches & Ideas.

NW passive is a good idea, I'm for sure going to do that with my Genie/Djinn idea. Ranged/invisible Djinn dropping spells from afar! :)

@Jaaz- Yeah I was thinking 'real' fire powers, but for this toon,I can do looks first, actual powerset after. I'm all about trying out unusual/other ideas if it looks good and works. :) I'm happy to look at Anything that gives that 'Genie/Efreeti magic-vibe' with a close up sword use too. (I've had bad luck in past getting the TK swords to even be visible half the time, no matter what color I picked. is that better now?) I can always just use 'Fire Aura' during combat if there are no actual fire powers involved. (Though I like the ease that fire powers/ fire reverb seem to always work, better than some other sets do, for me anyway.) ;P
    So if you have any thoughts on anything, (on top of what you already kindly suggested) please suggest away! :)

Thank you both for your thoughts and time.
    Happy Heroing!

~Rags
  • Options
    This is my TK build. You could swap in Warlock's Blades and maybe sigils for a couple things you like less. There are so many fire-like auras out there that you can make anything look it uses fire ;). On my machine the TK blades show up fine as fiery swords.

Sekhmet 1 - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Kinetic Darts
    Level 1: Mental Discipline (Id Blades)
    Level 6: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Stressed Out)
    Level 8: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Masterful Dodge
    Level 17: Telekinetic Reverberation
    Level 20: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Ego Blade Dash
    Level 29: Telekinetic Wave (Rank 2, Mental Instability)
    Level 32: Antagonize (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ego Blade Pandemonium (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Tornado Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (3/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Finishing Blow (1/3)
    Brawler: Setup (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yea, recolored TK blades can be nice for the look (I'd prob take Indestructible instead of R1 MD in that build, though, if you wanted a mitigation cd for a dps; or just settle on having Resurgence for the AD and free up a slot). Single Blade's Reaper's Caress can also be made to put up CFlames w/ an adv, though there's not much else in the set beyond that for Fire. Guess it's also worth noting that HW's anims will tend to look slower and weighty, while something like TK or SB will look more agile. Not sure if that aspect matters that much to you, but perhaps it does.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    @Jaaz-So its a dex-based TK blades build? Nice, I'll file this away for future reference, even if I go another route. Thx! :)

@both-
    In my minds eye (and several artworks) I see the Efreeti as big and burly (IE=HW) types, but a slim, agile efreet could still beat you senseless! ;P (I guess a big, burly-looking guy moving really fast would be cool too?)

I was looking at other blade possibilities, with the Djinn the air/whirlwind is a theme, so thought about double blades Sword Cyclone, or Eye of the Storm. (And for the Sekhmet build, I just happen to have Ego Blade Pandemonium unlocked!) ;)

Hm, maybe I'll play around in the PTS powerhouse, (I dont do that a lot) and see if I go TK-based, if I can replace TK Wave and MD for something(s) more magical looking. Warlock's Blades, or just a different ranged TK attack? (Maybe this will be my melee-based Djinn?) :)

(EDIT- TK Burst looks like swords too, maybe swap that for TK wave as my 'magic' ranged/CC power?) Havent actually seen/used EB Frenzy? Is it any good? and does it look 'spinny' like the Dual blades moves? Hmmm,... I may now be leaning towards a TK as-many-blades- as-I-Can build) ;)

Thanks again for the thoughts guys, I really appreciate it!

I am getting to a good, solid (if basic) understanding of how things work together, (Finally) but there's still so much I don't know or hadn't spotted in skills, etc. I like getting to bounce ideas around!

If you live in the south, (Lousy-Anna, like I do!) Stay Safe!

Later,
    ~Rags~
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, EBFrenzy is a good melee pbAoE, esp since it can get a nice dmg shield adv (and w/ the dual TK blades enabled, it's channeling anim should match that of Eye of the Storm). TK Burst is pretty decent as a ranged AoE attack, and it can also CC a bit w/ the special adv. Warlock's Blades are fine too, if you like the look of them.

But yeah, feel free to experiment as much as you like in the PH, and maybe at some other time we could help you w/ other themes (like an Air djinn) if you like. Have fun out there 8)
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    If you're going to combine HW powers with fire powers, Cleave is a terrible choice. (Cleave is pretty much *always* a terrible choice, but it's even more terrible if you want to focus on fire).

Consider
    -Eruption (with magma advantage) - always applies clinging flames, click AoE, small cd.
    -Brimstone - split fire and crushing damage, advantage to apply a fire patch on full charge
    -Arc of Ruin (no quarter) - debuffs for fire+crushing damage (this should almost certainly be in this build), separate advantage to refresh clinging flames (and knock down).

You could also focus more on HW, since it natively does fire/crushing, and just grab utility stuff from the fire powerset. I have a melee build that does this (themed as a wuxing sorceress with invisible weapon).
  • Options
    TK blades is nice. Sekhmet is one of my highest dps characters. The reason I had TK wave was to knock characters to me (good opening move for me), but there is a similar device (Coward's Lament, from Bloodmoon event) if you think you would only use TK wave now and then. Here's one way to set it up:

Start by getting Warlock Blades and Sigils up, use the device to pull the enemy in and then go to town with Ego Weaponry and Annihilation. If you find you don't use the lunge, Tornado Slash from SB is a nice cone shaped AoE stun (full charge is best). Stun plus a knock to can be nice.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Mental Discipline (Id Blades)
    Level 6: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Stressed Out)
    Level 8: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Mental Block)
    Level 20: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Ego Blade Dash
    Level 29: Warlock's Blades (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Sigils of Destruction
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    Thx again Jaaz, Flow, everyone.

(I've been away, had to dodge a hurricane and put son in hospital, RL is BLEAH!) ;P
    For my latest toon, I went with Jaaz's Sehkmet build, tweaked it a bit, and it is working very well so far.
    I call him my 'Sword-Sage of the Djinn' her is the tweaked build:

Djinn Sword-Sage 3 (Rags) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Stressed Out, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 6: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
    Level 8: Ego Blade Dash
    Level 11: Mental Discipline (Id Blades)
    Level 14: Warlock's Blades
    Level 20: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Mental Block)
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices

Additional Notes:
    Swap Conviction w/ BCR/RR?

I like it so far, He's almost lvl 20 so he'll be able to start doing some decent dmg soon. So far he is soloing fine. (Since I learned the basics of building, I usually run in 'hard' mode, so for a part time player like me, thats doing pretty good) ;P
    Only bad thing, I just dont know where to pull any points form to boost Warlocks Blades up a rank. :(
    If anyone has any tips/tweaks for the specializations, let me know. But as I said, running fine so far.

Still wanting to build a Fire-based (still prefer w/ HW) Efriit, and a magic-based Genie, (I have 3 wind-based toons already, dont really need a third, although the genie might have the wind ult or something)

BUT i'll get back with you all on THAT later!
    Thanks again,
  • Options
    If you're going to combine HW powers with fire powers, Cleave is a terrible choice. (Cleave is pretty much *always* a terrible choice, but it's even more terrible if you want to focus on fire).

Consider
    -Eruption (with magma advantage) - always applies clinging flames, click AoE, small cd.
    -Brimstone - split fire and crushing damage, advantage to apply a fire patch on full charge
    -Arc of Ruin (no quarter) - debuffs for fire+crushing damage (this should almost certainly be in this build), separate advantage to refresh clinging flames (and knock down).

You could also focus more on HW, since it natively does fire/crushing, and just grab utility stuff from the fire powerset. I have a melee build that does this (themed as a wuxing sorceress with invisible weapon).

Hey Squirrelloid, Thanks for the thoughts,
    I agree with you on 2 out of 3,
    I love Brimstone, and I like Arc of ruin just fine, (And both are perfect for a HW/Fire toon)
    BUt Eruption? Hm, I like it fine, I guess? it IS guaranteed to apply Clinging flames, and knock instead of the %chance that Cleave has, but that cooldown,... ARGH! no! BAD!
    Not TOO bad at higher levels I suppose? but starting out all you can do is hit once, block, hit once, block,... and hope the purple gangers dont shoot you full of holes while waiting for the CD to end. I much prefer the Cleave constant spam action. But thats just a preference I guess. (?)
    Now, I dont think that one hit of Eruption does more dmg than 3-4 hits from cleave? (Which is how many hits I can easily get off with Cleave while waiting for the Eruption CD to finish) If it does, I may have to seriously reconsider my position.
    I suppose that if you gear for CD reduction, it wont matter much, again, esp at higher levels?

I AM picturing my (eventual) Efriit build as a HW with Fire abilities, But fire has so many good attacks, I'm having problems narrowing them down! :)

Thank you for your thoughts and time, I always appreciate other opinions and ideas regarding builds in these games. (I will never have enough time on my hands to be an expert on them) :)

~Rags
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Regarding Eruption: he prob assumed that you wouldn't be leveling w/ Eruption being your only attack, which generally you don't want since it's on a cd. Ofc, it's pretty easy to pick up something like Cleave early on for a spammable attack, and then re-train out of it a bit later in the PH when you unlock more powers/attacks (the fees should be pretty small, as long as you're still in the low-mid levels).

Also, I prob wouldn't get BCR in the TK blade build, since it'll lower your base dmg while it's up (the RR adv also wouldn't be that strong w/o a decent dodge setup, which that build doesn't lay the foundation for). BCR is generally a decent alternative to Conviction, but you do have to mind its dmg penalty. Additionally, if you want a rank of the Warlock's Blades for that build, then you could take a rank away from the block enhancer for it.
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    ragadolf wrote: »

Consider

Hey Squirrelloid, Thanks for the thoughts,
    I agree with you on 2 out of 3,
    I love Brimstone, and I like Arc of ruin just fine, (And both are perfect for a HW/Fire toon)
    BUt Eruption? Hm, I like it fine, I guess? it IS guaranteed to apply Clinging flames, and knock instead of the %chance that Cleave has, but that cooldown,... ARGH! no! BAD!
    Not TOO bad at higher levels I suppose? but starting out all you can do is hit once, block, hit once, block,... and hope the purple gangers dont shoot you full of holes while waiting for the CD to end. I much prefer the Cleave constant spam action. But thats just a preference I guess. (?)
    Now, I dont think that one hit of Eruption does more dmg than 3-4 hits from cleave? (Which is how many hits I can easily get off with Cleave while waiting for the Eruption CD to finish) If it does, I may have to seriously reconsider my position.
    I suppose that if you gear for CD reduction, it wont matter much, again, esp at higher levels?

I AM picturing my (eventual) Efriit build as a HW with Fire abilities, But fire has so many good attacks, I'm having problems narrowing them down! :)

Thank you for your thoughts and time, I always appreciate other opinions and ideas regarding builds in these games. (I will never have enough time on my hands to be an expert on them) :)

~Rags

I was assuming a level 40 build. You can do pretty much whatever you want while leveling.

Eruption is more of a support choice for getting that guaranteed clinging flames, although the damage isn't bad either. It's not going to be your bread-and-butter attack. (That'll probably end up ultimately being Brimstone, unless you find room for a powerful single target attack like annihilate with burning blade).

I've certainly done the first several levels, including Talos, on worse than Eruption. (No attack power but an eb? Check). I wouldn't recommend it, but it's doable. But if necessary, taking some sort of spammable attack and retconning it by level 10 is fine. You only need 3HW powers to take Arc of Ruin, which is enough to level significantly on, and you can have Arc of Ruin by level 8.

It's only occasionally that level 40 builds end up with tier 1 attack powers, because tier 1 attack powers are generally bad. Either you live off a support attack choice until you can take what you want, or you retcon later to get rid of the crap you needed to level with. Cleave is basically unplayable at level 40 - and there's no reason you'd ever use it. So no (non-stupid) level 40 build is going to have it.
  • Options
    I was assuming a level 40 build. You can do pretty much whatever you want while leveling.

Eruption is more of a support choice for getting that guaranteed clinging flames, although the damage isn't bad either. It's not going to be your bread-and-butter attack. (That'll probably end up ultimately being Brimstone, unless you find room for a powerful single target attack like annihilate with burning blade).

I've certainly done the first several levels, including Talos, on worse than Eruption. (No attack power but an eb? Check). I wouldn't recommend it, but it's doable. But if necessary, taking some sort of spammable attack and retconning it by level 10 is fine. You only need 3HW powers to take Arc of Ruin, which is enough to level significantly on, and you can have Arc of Ruin by level 8.

It's only occasionally that level 40 builds end up with tier 1 attack powers, because tier 1 attack powers are generally bad. Either you live off a support attack choice until you can take what you want, or you retcon later to get rid of the crap you needed to level with. Cleave is basically unplayable at level 40 - and there's no reason you'd ever use it. So no (non-stupid) level 40 build is going to have it.

LOL<
    well, I never claimed that I wasn't stupid! ;P
    I have a HW/Fire toon whose main HW power is Cleave, (along with Brimstone & Vicious Decent) the rest were fire powers (Flashfire & Hydra). I always liked the way it worked. (I see that Cleave now has the Rampant/Reckless advantage it did not used to have. So it makes it much more 'usuable' for a soloist or off-tanky-type, if not helping the DPS at all) :)

(I will admit, again, that since I have not created & leveled 100+ toons, I do not consider myself an expert. I just like certain things) :)
    I AM, since there have been many updates since then, retweaking him of course. :) NOW, of course, I have learned much and realize that he could be much MORE effective w/ additional HW attacks, like Annihilate (Burning Blade) & Arc of Ruin. (AND since multiple AO's/AD's are a thing of the past, I have a couple of slots to play with) :)

Actually, this discussion is making me realize that I still have high hopes for my Efreet toon. :)

Oh yes, and if you can do Talos with ANY below lvl 10 toon, with only an EB?!? Re. Spect. I have trouble taking him down solo with a 'strong' build that early. (Which, again, is why I come here for advice on builds!) :)

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.

~Rags