test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rebuilding my dodge tank

squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
Looking for opinions or advice on some rebuild thoughts

Current Build:
https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=35&n=Zhu Bingyi current&d=12310vG29ALb043000B000E22BEC03B800BI00BU07ON03BP1KBD05BH005I00BB03BN04EN003UjB0tak3bDM10000000000&e=

Current base dodge chance: 73.1%
Current base avoidance: 84.1%
Current hp: 11072

Gear
Onslaught Gloves of Defender (R5 Con/Dex)
Cosmic Talons of Wrath (R5 Dodge Core)
Onslaught Mask of Speed (R5 Con/Dex)
Distinguished Gloves of Offense (R7 Con, R7 Dex, R8 Growth, R5 Confront)
Distinguished Armor of Agility (R8 Dex, R8 Dex, R8 Gambler's, R8 Gambler's)
Distinguished Helmet of Efficiency (R7 Con, R7 Dex, R7 Gambler's, R6 Dragon's Fangs)

Issues:
-Lacks a single target attack i can use to build threat on dogs during Kiga for phase 1
-Some issues keeping dodge at 100% against Kiga, especially following long blocks (ice breath, charged blast)
-Potential for energy issues when not under AoPM, a sadly frequent occurrence as a tank at cosmics

Proposed changes:
-Swap Vindicator for Sentry spec (Twist fate is the big draw here, but also more defense from gear, sentry aura, and fortify)
-Swap Str for Rec (with suitable innate and talent swaps)
-Swap a power for a good single target attack, possibly Dragon's Wrath. Take challenge out of one of the two AoE attacks for this attack.

Worries:
-I'm already somewhat marginal on holding threat in some cases, and these changes would probably noticeably reduce my damage (and hence threat) output. Obviously improving my confront mod will help, but that takes bucketfuls of GCR (which is why it's only R5).
-Finding a power to swap for a single target attack - I've tried to push the less 'core function critical' powers to the bottom of the build, but all of them have a purpose. (Currently leaning towards BCR as the most expendable. Intensity should be understood as 'some active offense', the key function is breaking holds).

Other thoughts:
I might be able to rearrange some spec points in dex. It's not clear i'm getting much out of the avoidance spec (+22 avoidance is probably negligible), and that could give me the critical severity spec.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Con PSS's Deflection can give you more return on dodge% than Dex's Quick Reflexes, and Dex's avoidance spec prob isn't adding that much due to the heavy DR on the rating w/ R3 LR. The Sentry option is also fine, but yeah many tankier options will come w/ lower threat/dps. Losing BCR/RR for dodge builds also kinda sucks, but you will gain some dps back w/o the dmg penalty. Upgrading some of the lower rank mods can help a bit too, though it is an investment.

Adding a higher base dps attack (like a Dragon move that can also grant Rush) sounds good, but it's prob not gonna be that easy to stick into your rotation. Backhand Chop can also be made to refresh Demolish, if you get a source for that somewhere. R3 TKicks can also boost dps a bit, though I'm not sure if that change would allow you to exceed 100% dodge or not. I'm also not sure about the use of a self-res on a Tank, but maybe you're using it for other content, and/or if not main-tanking. You do have many options, but it's kinda hard to say which to recommend, as dodge builds can be very fight- and execution-based.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    You want to mix crushing and slashing damages with Elusive Monk and BCR so yes, it's harder to have a consistent dps but you can have a look at this build :
    Zhu Bingyi suggested

A few notes :
    - Floating Lotus Blossom : forget it, it's bad. The buff is cancelled after a successful dodge which should happen in less than 1 sec when geared for dodge. To get a solid dodge buff, you go with TK R3.
    - Form of the Master : it stacks now with Chi energy effects (Lithe, Dragon Rush, Ghostly Strikes in the build) but you'll do fine with FotT. I'm just showing another option which works as fine too.
    - Nail to the Ground : I usually recommend this adv on a pure melee build (0 range power)
    - BCF with Ghostly Strikes : with the adv, it deals some really good damages.
    - Aurora : it's a bad choice for a tank. If you die, your aggro is reset and there's no way you can catch up with all the damages that the dps already dealt.

Spes : I've personally swapped to Arbiter Tree and I've been able to retcon End for Str which means more base damage, more knock resistance on top of the all the benefits from this tree. My max energy is incredibly low and yet I've no energy problem nor damage issue.
    Note that BCR can not crit so Enforcer is actually a good spe to rely more efficiently on this heal.

Since the rework on Unarmed powerset, Subtlety of the Tides had been removed and Lashing Dragon Tail doesn't provide a dodge buff anymore. So now the way to get to 100% dodge is with gears which make a LR dodge tank, the most expensive build.
    Post edited by holloweaver on
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    Update: Twist fate doesn't actually do anything at all... guess i have to blow 50G to fix that
    They broke this too?
    Last time I tried this adv was months ago and it was working. I remembered that the +% dodge was so low (around +0.1%, like calculated on base dodge) that I didn't kept it and reset for Arbiter.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    They broke this too?
    Last time I tried this adv was months ago and it was working. I remembered that the +% dodge was so low (around +0.1%, like calculated on base dodge) that I didn't kept it and reset for Arbiter.

Apparently it's only Rain of Steel that it doesn't work with.
    Have you tried with a ranged EB?
  • subjustsubjust Posts: 48 Arc User
    I ran into that same issue with Twist of Fate. I assumed it didn’t work with Rain of Steel because it’s an AoE energy builder. If it is intentional it would be nice if the tooltip for ToF reflected that it only works with single target EBs