test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aftershock part 6

So this is something that’s been on my mind for quite a while... What is up with the champions encounter at the start of Aftershock part 6, the one where the player has to take on the role of a gimp Avatar of the Kings of Edom and battle some or all of the champions (depending on group size). Is it bugged or are they really tuned like this? I most fun these solo since my friends and guildies don’t play as often as I do. I like the comic but this one particular part is rather infuriating as it doesn’t seem possible to beat both Witchcraft and Defender (for solo run) in a single attempt. Every single time, I get Witchcraft down but by that point there’s no hope in finishing off Defender before he finishes me off and I’m forced to eat a defeat. But then just this morning I was trying the run as the King of Lost Hope... 4 attempts and not once could I get Witchcraft below 10% so I just gave up and dropped the mission from my log.

What is up with this? This encounter doesn’t seem like it was play-tested at all. This definitely seems really overtuned.

Comments

• Grammar edit:

“mostly run these solo...
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Well that stuff came out yeeeeeeears ago, so if it was playtested then it was playtested way back then. I wonder if any of the champions had their powers tuned up as a result of balance adjustments to other stuff over the years and the avatars didn't. Shame too cause that's my fav comic series.
  • > @spinnytop said:
    > Well that stuff came out yeeeeeeears ago, so if it was playtested then it was playtested way back then. I wonder if any of the champions had their powers tuned up as a result of balance adjustments to other stuff over the years and the avatars didn't. Shame too cause that's my fav comic series.

Hmm. That is possible that the champions had their powers adjusted over the years since they have player powers by the avatar you’re forced to play as for this encounter wasn’t buffed to accommodate the above. In that case it would be just an oversight I guess. Just the main thing I’m getting at is I don’t really feel like an avatar of the kings when a single npc version of the toon I’m playing as would smash the temporary avatar...ness... self into the ground. I know full well that you’re technically a newly made avatar, but even newly made avatars shouldn’t be THIS weak. Either the champions need to be seriously nerfed, the player seriously buffed, or do a bit of both so that the player can actually feel like something of the demi god-like being they’re playing as for this one and only part in the game.

I know it’s too late for this, but it would have been really cool if you fought all of the champions regardless of group size, but the player(s) were just as strong as the cosmic level npcs the avatars are so it balances out.
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    I haven't done this in the last few weeks, but I can say that some of the Avatars are MUCH better than other ones. Sometimes I can whack both of them, sometimes just one, and sometimes it's a nightmare. If you're having a lot of trouble, I have erratically been able to lure one of the two off into a ditch, finish them solo, and then return for the other. It's not unusual for me to take a while to really get the 'feel' of the Avatar's powers and how they're supposed to work together. I'll try Lost Hope again and see what it looks like to me.
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    Did Lost Hope over the weekend and the poor guy is mostly hopeless.

He's got five powers most of which are of almost no use. I tried to get his paralyze power to paralyze but unsurprisingly with three-bar villains they mostly shrugged it off. His heal run power gives 60 hp per tick, but given that you have a bar of some 27 thousand, that's not important in a fight and just as unimportant out of a fight. His cone attack might get Witchcraft to split her heals, but since it doesn't do more total damage against two opponents you could just alternate targets with one of your other powers. Forget it.

I ended up engaging and then backing off in the air over the pit until only Witchcraft was shooting at me. I'd hit the resistance debuff (and most damaging) power every time it was ready and let the eye beams work her down the rest of the time. Boring, slow fight but it eventually takes her down. Eventually. And the same with Defender. For me it was a squeaker because I lost three quarters of my hps trying to get other powers to do stuff... if you didn't screw around it probably should be cake.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well that stuff came out yeeeeeeears ago, so if it was playtested then it was playtested way back then. I wonder if any of the champions had their powers tuned up as a result of balance adjustments to other stuff over the years and the avatars didn't. Shame too cause that's my fav comic series.

Honestly, I recall having trouble with soloing it way back then. And as fermi says, there is a difference in how well the avatars fight, which sucks if you want to pick a certain one for perk reasons...​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aethanasaethanas Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I tested it today and as far as I can see there is no way besides luck to win that encounter since every time Witchcraft in my case simply healed herself up to full health. Maybe with a full team you can wear both champions down, but no longer solo and that is a shame since it still states that such an Adventure Pack is for 1 to 5 players.

Yep, sure, it is older content, but better remove it then until nothing is left besides the "relevant" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ych_RJDkY
    Post edited by aethanas on
  • tfab10tfab10 Posts: 38 Arc User
    aethanas wrote: »
    I tested it today and as far as I can see there is no way besides luck to win that encounter since every time Witchcraft in my case simply healed herself up to full health. Maybe with a full team you can wear both champions down, but no longer solo and that is a shame since it still states that such an Adventure Pack is for 1 to 5 players.

Yep, sure, it is older content, but better remove it then until nothing is left besides the "relevant" stuff.

https://youtu.be/Y7Ych_RJDkY

Video disabled by the owner.
    Eidolon got fixed, one of the sliver linings of 2020. Now if we live through 2021 can we get a foundry?
    tfab10 wrote: »
    aethanas wrote: »

https://youtu.be/Y7Ych_RJDkY

Video disabled by the owner.

My bad, I fixed that issue. Embedding video was disabled.
  • senzsunsenzsun Posts: 70 Arc User
    I did this a few times many years ago and I honestly don't remember there being any problem finishing the champions off, and I have the action figures for all the kings to confirm it. Maybe in my ensuing 7-8 year absence something got changed?

I tried it again recently with the ice tank AT and got through the stage OK. The Avatar I chose had a power equivalent to Pillar of Poz, and although it was very long to heal, I was able to resume the battle with good HP.
    You obviously need to separate the two champions to stand a chance and to do a lot of running and hiding and wait for a chance to snipe whenever you can. The giant imp statues can give good protection.
    ===================================

I am not bad at punctuation!
    MMORPGs are just bad at recognizing non QWERTY. :#
    senzsun wrote: »
    I did this a few times many years ago and I honestly don't remember there being any problem finishing the champions off, and I have the action figures for all the kings to confirm it. Maybe in my ensuing 7-8 year absence something got changed?

I tried it again recently with the ice tank AT and got through the stage OK. The Avatar I chose had a power equivalent to Pillar of Poz, and although it was very long to heal, I was able to resume the battle with good HP.
    You obviously need to separate the two champions to stand a chance and to do a lot of running and hiding and wait for a chance to snipe whenever you can. The giant imp statues can give good protection.

Oh, I once was able to separate both, but Witchcraft is the problem here. She will heal herself up and get your HP faster down than you hers, I tried two different avatars and both had the problem to deal not enough damage to counter her healing while healing themselves enough against her damage. If you try hide-and-seek with her, she will heal herself simply up when you have a quarter of her HP down.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    lots of things got rebalanced and boss attacks often get tweaked along the way
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    I remember doing this a year or two ago and only being able to succeed by getting a string of lucky crits against witchcraft as well as somehow baiting her out of Defender's engagement range. I ended up dying as well but she remained defeated so I proceeded to grind down Defender and never bothered running that mission again because it was obvious it couldn't be done reliably as a solo player.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    So, I haven't done this in a long time, but I remember it being pretty hard even when it came out. Not all the kings are equally good, the summoner (hearts, I think) is way easier, but I figured I might as well try it with lost hope.

Won on the first try, though I had the advantage of a ranged form (the become doesn't remove your form). It's problematic from a design standpoint that most of their powers are useless (I just burned them down with their energy builder). It does not seem harder than it was at launch, it's just that everything else is so much easier (because PCs have had so much power creep) that the difficulty seems absurd compared to everything else.
    I've just soloed it again, so I made some notes especially to feed this thread. Here are some of my pointers to winning that battle.
    1. If you don't like the avatar you chose, log out your character and come back 5 minutes later to choose a different one. It's pretty much the first action in part 6, so there's no delay once you are back.
    2. The Cthulu-looking one suggested above isn't good for this battle because no healing. I didn't check them all out but I get the impression the best you can hope for is a low-power healing rune, so be prepared to be patient. I chose the Master of All Sorrows (to the left of the big boss Avatar) and that worked out well.
    3. Don't worry about your build or gear or anything else. The avatar is what it is what it is and what you see is all you get.
    4. Block and block and block some more.
    5. Kill Defender first. He goes down quickest. Try at least to keep Witchy on the blind side of him if you can't split them up. You should be able to defeat him with plenty of health to spare.
    6. Attack Witchy but don't take her below about 75% health, and don't let your own get too low because she's going to be attacking you while you lead her to a place that's to your advantage.
    7. Find a place where she remains engaged in combat with you but can't "see" you. I found a rock formation with a jutting-out part that achieved that perfectly. As long as she is engaged but can't see you, she will not heal or go away.
    8. Heal yourself to maximum. This could take ten minutes or so but nobody's hurrying you. Take pleasure watching Defender writhe in agony if he's in the picture.
    9. Finish her off. I had a rotation going (for the avatar I mentioned) of hex of suffering - ebon ruin - then something that looked like venomous breath while the first two were recharging. I was on about 60% health when she fell.
    10. The only time I died in the whole adventure was right at the end when I got too brave for my own pants in the heroes-vs-avatars battle.
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/tFH1D6G"><a href="//imgur.com/a/tFH1D6G">Witchcraft kindly waiting while the enemy heals (completely ignoring her suffering boyfriend).</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Right, I just did this again so here's the method. It takes a lot of patience.
    - Choose an avatar with heal. It seems the best you can hope for is a low-power healing rune.
    - If you don't like the avatar, sign out and come back in 5 minutes to choose a different one (it's the first action in part 6). I chose Master of All Sorrows.
    - Forget build and gear. The avatar can't be boosted or assisted.
    - Block block block
    - Kill Defender first. Keep Witchy blindsided behind him.
    - Attack Witchy to about 75% HP. Don't let your own HP get too low because you're about to run under attack.
    - Find an irregular rock formation and find a positon in it where you're in range and she can see you but she can't target you. Ideally she should be firing at you right up to that moment.
    - She will then stay engaged in combat and won't heal or go away.
    - Healing rune, healing rune, healing rune for 10 minutes.
    - Kill Witchcraft.
    - And that's the weakest that avatar will ever be. When the gang appears at the end, it will be way stronger.

aftershock6-1.jpg

Witchcraft being patient (and completely ignoring her boyfriend writhing in agony on the ground).

edited August 2020
    Sorry about the repeated posts. I made them, then they disappeared, then when I looked again today, they had miraculously reappeared.
    Post edited by senzsun on

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Going to Necro this thread.

Just ran Aftershock with a friend and had no real troubles at all. Kovar does wander around a bit, but that's all. The Champions (Witchcraft, Ironclad and Defencer) near the end were pushovers compared to previous times I have done it (3 of them vs. 2 of us was new). We took no damage at all. When we then fought the avatars one-on-one they also were easy kills. If anything, my expereince on this run with two level 23 characters was that it was a cakewalk.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!