test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I miss this game, how is it now?

Hello all, I used to play this game like crazy 6 years ago. I know lots have changed since then. Now that university is over and I have more time on my hands, I have been thinking of returning. How is the game population doing? Would I still have peeps to meet at every timezone? Or has it reduced drastically?

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    You know that there are no monthly subscriptions anymore? You can buy a Life Time Subscription, individual Free Form slots, or go the free archetype route (sales on the 2 former probably coming around the 4th). This may affect your interest in coming back. As for the rest, there are people on all the time, but peak hours are when people in the USA are up and about and not at work.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Hello all, I used to play this game like crazy 6 years ago. I know lots have changed since then. Now that university is over and I have more time on my hands, I have been thinking of returning. How is the game population doing? Would I still have peeps to meet at every timezone? Or has it reduced drastically?

It's probably not that different to when you returned last year. Opinions will vary somewhat so it's best to jump in and see for yourself :)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    the game is basically a costly fashion show, it is creeping along peeks during some events and have had a few powers up dated from time to time. They seem to care only about the end game in this not much else and putting out a lock box to reap in cash, again with costume options mostly or devices. As if it was powers each person would only need it once but with a device well they is per character and much more profitable on their end. I really would love to see most of the device powers as actual powers to pick from, but doubt that will happen any time soon.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The game isn't super active development and it's gradually declining population, but it's changed since six years ago (pretty sure that was before cosmics revamp and TA). You can just try it out for nothing beyond the bandwidth cost of redownloading the client -- if you were LTS just log in, otherwise pick a character you don't mind being an AT, convert it to AT, log in, get the premium pack from the z store (free if you've ever subbed) and check who's about.
    Did you read any of the above first?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
    There is a whole lot more costume pieces, events, actual endgame content, transformation, emotes, and the like added in the past 6 years. The poplation isn't as populated as you remember. However, when tehre is a cosmic, mega D OM in MC, or an event in general, the population tend to spike a bit. You can have one character become an AT and try out the game for what it worth. I also made this list of stuff to do in current CO. I do advice joining discord and theendgame chat if you can.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Of course not. They used to give Cryptic a trivial amount of money back in the day - they're special.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Of course not. They used to give Cryptic a trivial amount of money back in the day - they're special.

Or it's not the OP, but another person that came back to the game and is justifiably upset. I think it's perfectly fair to be upset at having to pay a large sum of money upfront to play characters you put time into years ago, the only thing I'd suggest is aiming that anger at Perfect World rather than Cryptic.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    The game is actually getting new content on a fairly regular basis, which I would have found unbelievable a few years ago. I'm having fun :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Compared to *six* years ago? Yes, a *lot* has changed. The biggest change is the open world cosmic bosses. So, routine gameplay these days usually revolves around that when there isn't an event going on, and they have events going on all the time.

Content wise it's a slow trickle of content. I'd imagine if you were to do everything that was added all at once it'd be considerable.

• novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    I suppose I'll consider downloading it again and trying it out; I heard everyone gets a free freeform slot or something now which I wanna get for myself. I do hope the lockboxes can be unlocked without being a cashgrab tho. The champions online I remember was a wholesome place where I've had random people giving me a key on christmas and players helping me out (I was a kid back then so I didn't have a job) with getting sick ATs.

I miss CO's costume creation and variety of powers the most. Can't wait to get back in and see how it is. <3

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    You only get it if you were in the game...no freeform for you.

Perhaps you should keep it downloaded
    In past years (who knows with the pandemic now) there were sales for LTS in July/August. Can't remember if there were FF sale at the same time. Might keep an eye out.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Aaand my posts continue being deleted. Cute.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Champions Online has changed a lot. Some of it good change other changes have been divisive in the community. The best way to decide as I am sure people have mentioned is to try it out for yourself.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    spordelia wrote: »
    Aaand my posts continue being deleted. Cute.

Mine was too. I'm still getting notified of this thread, but my post is gone. I suspect it's because of what it had in it. I wonder if I'm going to get shadowbanned next? I sure don't have any notification of wrong doing from a mod or anything. Rest assured you aren't shadowbanned. I see your post.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Post being deleted may well be the forum system being terrible, rather than anything moderation related. It's known to delete stuff if edited too many times, and I've seen stuff vanish for no discernible reason.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Well, there is a censorship problem. FACT.

Many are often afraid to post their thoughts, have to wonder if they’ve been shadow banned, what’s happening to their posts, with no communication, no explanation, questions left unanswered, frustration, confusion, fear, anger, jadedness. That’s where we're at.

I’ve had 6 (out of 7) posts vanish in less than a week. No discernible reason. Rarely ever edit my posts. Am I supposed to go on Discord, pull somebody’s pants down and kiss their @ss? Not happening. Send you a friend request on freakin’ Facebook, watch your TikToks? To get some gd respect and decent communication, be privy to pictures/info of upcoming items and content – which btw, could be made into small teasers or “What’s to Come”, on the OFFICIAL game forums? It’s all just so ridiculous.

(Post disappearing in 3, 2…)
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    As someone who gets modded often...

Derailing a thread..insults...all that jazz, that gets your posts deleted.
This discussion has been closed.