test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions and the Olympics

This is a quickie on-the-spot question that I suddenly entertained!

Are the Olympics -- as we know them -- held in the Champions Universe? How does an international competition of the greatest of the greats interpret and utilize those with superhuman abilities?

Thanks for your time! :)

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I'm aware of a few specific mentions of the Olympic Games in Champions setting books, so they definitely are held in the CU, along with most other real-world sport events and leagues/associations. However, beings with superhuman abilities -- even relatively minor ones -- are not allowed to compete in such sports nearly everywhere in the world. A number of official characters, villain and hero, were disqualified from promising athletic careers when it was discovered they were mutants or the like, which they often didn't realize themselves. (Apparently there's genetic testing for that.)
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    Thanks a bunch. It's something that I may want to incorporate later down the road!
    edited June 2020
    I would like to point out that not all people categorized as superheroes or supervillains on Champions Earth are technically "superhuman." Authorities there recognize a category referred to as "trained superhumans" -- people who don't have abilities beyond what any human could theoretically achieve, but through intensive training have honed those abilities enough to compete with some actual superhumans. In the comics Batman, Shang-Chi, or Lady Shiva fall into this category.

While trained superhumans often follow the Batman model of utilizing various weapons and gadgets to give themselves a tactical edge against superpowered opponents, in the Champions Universe it's possible to learn fighting techniques more effective than any existing in the real world, or to master disciplines of body, mind, and/or spirit granting abilities resembling true superpowers. A number of martial artists on Champions Earth have received such advanced training, but sources for it are rare and often difficult to gain access to; and only the most gifted and determined students achieve the capacity for truly extraordinary feats.
    I appreciate the thorough explanation, as usual! :P

Going off of what you said, would somebody like a telepath be barred from athletic events? With powers so distantly unrelated to competitions, I'd almost figure they'd be allowed.
    I've never read of that specific type of power being addressed in Champions books in relation to sports, but let's look at the situation logically, in terms of the sorts of tactics fictional telepaths have used at various times. Those in direct competition sports, like boxing, basketball, judo or hockey, could read the strategy in their opponent's mind and anticipate their moves. Even in track and field races they could determine when a competitor was holding back and planned to surge ahead, or if they were experiencing an injury limiting them. Telepaths might also have the capacity to control another person's mind -- not obviously, but enough to make them stumble or freeze at a crucial moment. A telepath might be able to create a distracting illusion in an opponent's mind, or blur or cloud their vision, or make them feel pain, or implant thoughts of doubt or fear.

A clever person might figure out ways to use almost any super power to give themselves an edge in athletic competition... and it would undoubtedly be a way they've never revealed they can do to sports governing bodies who are aware of their other capabilities. A blanket ban would be the safest, surest way to prevent cheating.
    edited June 2020
    bulgarex wrote: »
    A blanket ban would be the safest, surest way to prevent cheating.

Never a fan of that logic, but it does make sense in this setting. What a shame! :(

Thank you much for all the information and clarification (as usual!) Mr. Bulgarex!