test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 6/12/2020

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
Therakiels Temple
  • Fixed a bug where Light and Dark auras were not removed once you completed the lair.
  • Fixed a bug where Valerian's Blinding light didn't display its fx on the ground if you were off the ground.
  • Fixed a bug where Black Fang didn't always reset to his starting point.
  • Fixed a bug where Valerian Scarlet was dropping the incorrect items.

Valerian Scarlet Alert
  • Fixed a bug where the alert dropped rewards as if you were level 30.
​​

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Thank you!
    Valerian Scarlet Alert
    • Fixed a bug where the alert dropped rewards as if you were level 30.
    ​​

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • rathymosxrathymosx Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Meant to revise this post since we actually beat it a couple days ago but forgot, so here goes. Criticism now holds water, and we have the lair down to a T which means less trial and error switching.

Valerian Scarlet
    Alert version
    Pretty well-rounded and challenging overall, but maybe a bit too much for a lot of the more casual players which is what alerts are meant for. Only seems to be difficult when your team doesn't coordinate, but that could just be dumb luck on my part. As it is, I'd either leave it or nerf it since it doesn't need any buffs.
    Therakiel's Temple version
    Still think this is overtuned for an entry boss, especially with how hard the sigils hit. My advice would be to tone down the sigils and mob damage, otherwise it's fine. MAYBE a more forgiving timer on the sigils, but can't say for sure. The flight in both versions is a bit excessive too, as it's a chore to do damage as melee.

Black Fang
    Still the most balanced boss of the whole run, especially when you learn about his wombo combo instakill stacks and can keep them under control. Only advice would be to tone down the knocks that ignore block (whenever you can manage to sneak one in, that is) and maybe give the adds a little less health/resistance.

Baron Cimetiere
    The boss itself is fine, our biggest issue is still with the ridiculous amount of nonstop-spawning adds and a rather unforgiving enrage timer. Less adds with less damage, if you even want to go that far, would be good as well as upping said enraged timer.

Vlad Dracul
    Much like Black Fang, this was a pretty well-rounded fight. Only annoyances would be the collision on the "hold" zones of the cages messing people up and getting them stuck, difficulty targeting said cages still, and the VFX spam on the bats which he never stops summoning. The VFX still have a tendency to overload the game too, causing Vlad to become invisible. Maybe give the bats less effects or have them spawn less, otherwise the fight seems fine as long as you don't miss a block or heal him from the blood pool.

Therakiel
    SURPRISINGLY FUN, though very stressful for tanks. Still think the pillars in his phase 2 shouldn't move from where they're summoned. The DoT you get if you don't pick up light or dark, or pick up the wrong one, also results in an instant kill rather than "receiving more damage" as was stated in the release notes and PTS. Could be a severe DoT, but it shouldn't be instant death until he starts blocking again.

Misc. Details
    While we do have it down at this point, I still think it should be dialed back a bit so everyone in the playerbase can enjoy it. Heroics would be great as baseline gear, though as it is now, the lair's way too difficult for that to be possible for a whole team. Healers seem to struggle the most, as it's almost necessary for them to have top tier gear to keep up with everyone else, as well as have AoPM slotted.

While it was mostly Black Fang, the bosses after him seem to knock through block as well, ESPECIALLY Dracul. Knock resistance stacks wouldn't matter, so unless the tank and nearby DPS were against a wall, they were getting thrown into the drink which is a free heal for him. Not sure if it's a bug, but it's pretty annoying seeing as how Black Fang gets stacks from knocks (regardless if you block them) and Dracul effectively removes you from the fight for 12 seconds (enough for tank to lose aggro) or gets a free heal from someone who isn't paying attention.

Lots to take in with this lair, most of the mechanics being nowhere in the base game. I wouldn't exactly call that good design, but it's not as hellish once you figure everything out. Looking forward to guides, and I still hope you're not done working on the lair itself.
    Post edited by rathymosx on
    But why.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    Okay, the 6/12 'update' to Valerian Scarlet's Alert is terrible.

It added a gated re-entry to Val's chamber at the end which requires players who are defeated to wait out the battle until a stage is complete or all players are defeated - 'You must wait until your friends have finished fighting'.

This is super fun and engaging for people who don't have min-maxed characters. Standing around while other people fight is not my idea of fun. Especially since a COMPLETE re-set happens if all heroes get defeated, making the 'Alert' nearly impossible to complete with a random group.

Had fun with it yesterday, as it was a challenge but still workable. Today I made the decision to never touch it again. (I quit out after our 10th total party wipe, so never even saw if the rewards were worth it.)

• blazeingdragoonblazeingdragoon Posts: 65 Arc User
    rathymosx wrote: »
    Dunno where to post this since some of what went up on Live TT wasn't accessible on PTS for a time but since there's no Feedback thread for it yet, I'll put it here.

Sooo... TT is quite the travesty as it is now, seems like everyone's input was once again overwritten by elitist tripe. Managed to get to Therakiel but didn't actually complete it. Quite a bit not okay with it.

Valerian Scarlet
    Sigils are overtuned and hit melee DPS like trains, otherwise the fight is... managable, if anti-melee. Could do with less health and damage, being the entry boss. Oh, and that flight ability is Terminal 7 for melee, in and out of the alert (just that the alert is actually fun and doable by anyone willing to learn it.) so maybe either scrap that or dial it back a bit.

Black Fang
    This fight was fine, other than the fact his 9-stack wombo combo wipes the whole team one by one until everyone is down rather than just the tank. Not sure if it's a bug. Could do with slightly less health for him and adds. Slightly.

Baron Cimitiere
    Oh my god, what happened? We managed to down him but holy w h a t are those adds, and why do they not stop spawning? His double enrage/wipe timer is unforgiving as well, since we had him down to 1/10 health twice before he whipped that out. Less adds and more forgiving timer would be nice. We also encountered a bug in his last phase where his shield/bubble would overlap with his attacks, resulting in no callouts and a team wipe.

Vlad Dracul
    Ehh. Solid fight all around once everyone learns it, just that the bats are WAAAAY too FX-heavy and frequent to the point where they made him go invisible a few times. Either less bats or less effects on them when they spawn. CO's a dinosaur MMO some people are expecting to run on potato machines, so that's unacceptable. His Enrage timer, while a lot more forgiving than Baron's, still doesn't seem to allow room for error. Miss a bite or heal him from the blood pool and it's an eventual restart and thus, a waste of everyone's time.

Therakiel
    Lmao. Not needing to block a gigantic superdeath AoE or else it kills you in a game whose usual gimmicks and playerbase teach you to block 24/7 is beyond sadistic. There's no reason for that. There's also no reason for the darkness pillars to follow players as it unnecessarily pads out the fight, nor any reason to get oneshot by literally breathing without the right aura on. This is the one boss we couldn't beat not because we weren't capable, but because at this point, we were running TT for 5 hours and we were all drained. If anything in any game manages to do this to it's GOOD players, imagine what it'll do to the rest.

Misc. Details
    We had to constantly switch out characters to even get that far. It was mentioned that this would be doable with Heroic gear as a minimum, yet we were struggling with Justice and Virtuous. The whole thing seemed to require an AoPM healer as well, since we tried AoRP and well... Immediately went back. Seemed like literal hell without AoPM. There was also a constant issue of being knocked through block, no matter how many stacks of knock resistance anyone had.

As it stands, in my opinion, Vlad and Baron were top notch as they were on the very first PTS release, minus Vlad's AoE spam. They didn't need buffs, only adjustments. Black Fang as he is now is hands down the most nail-on-head boss in this whole thing, aside from the excess health. Val was fine as she was on the first PTS release too, though the added tells to sigils and her random-target fireball are much appreciated, as well as the bug fixes so she doesn't get stuck in place talking to no one.

My only advice would be, while testing it with the playerbase, to actually listen to the people who love, enjoy and want to play the game rather than the OP clowns who want the game tailored to them so they can run it into the ground. A lot more people would be happier that way, and you can even inquire about it in Zone chat now and then.

The alert's fine though, if a bit confusing for people who weren't on PTS to learn Val's new tech. My only concern is that, once they learn and overcome this alert, they'll go to TT thinking it's the same thing and get a swift kick in the jewels.

PLEASE tell me you're not done working on this lair...

Edit: And if you're still keen on putting us through hell, at LEAST have a guaranteed, though randomized, drop at the end.

this game is the main reason why i have pessimistic view of challenge and difficulty. adding much unneeded hoops to the "endgame" stuff with various stuff taylored to the overpower builds ran by those kind of players that aren't happy unless almost all bosses has the potential to reduce their character to atoms.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    We haven’t even made it passed Val.

We get the mechanic and got her to half life....but having that many powerhouse mobs and those sigils...we just couldn’t do it fast enough.

The sigils need to be easier to kill.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Did you really need to make Valerian Scarlet move like that? She's backing up, sometimes flying up (even when I'm not flying). I don't think I've been more annoyed by tanking in this game. Glad I wasn't using annihilate or some self-rooting melee attack.
  • rainier6rainier6 Posts: 6 Arc User
    Bug:

On the alert version I'm a lot of "multiple mechanics at once" bugs:
    - spawns and sigils over lapping
    - sigils and the stun fire loop tell attack
    - sigils and the nock back
    - got a trifecta once sigils, mobs, stun

Once she just went nuts did no mechanics and just did the knock back attack (no mobs no sigils), the block started going through blocks, no one got knock resistance, and the knock attack started to do triple damage ticks. We died.

Haven't figured out if it is a 'mechanic' (not killing mobs?) twice she reset health totally, she could have lost aggro range on everyone one of those (Like the LI rock boss does if everyone chases jets too far)
  • hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    vonqball wrote: »
    Did you really need to make Valerian Scarlet move like that? She's backing up, sometimes flying up (even when I'm not flying). I don't think I've been more annoyed by tanking in this game. Glad I wasn't using annihilate or some self-rooting melee attack.
    Enemies running away are possibly the most annoying mechanic in the game for me, and should have no place in a boss fight. It doesn't add any complexity or difficulty to the encounter and is simply there to frustrate the player.

I suppose we should be grateful they didn't give her the pathing Kigatilik's dogs have...
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    hemslord wrote: »
    Enemies running away are possibly the most annoying mechanic in the game for me, and should have no place in a boss fight. It doesn't add any complexity or difficulty to the encounter.
    Yeah it does. It means you need to think about movement at the same time as you think about hitting. That doesn't mean it's a sort of complexity I like, I find it pretty annoying, but not liking something isn't the same as it not being complexity.
  • rothilionrothilion Posts: 9 Arc User
    Its sad to see people complain so much about hard content. I could go play another game and you wouldnt see a single person crying about updated old content. Its not "overtuned" or "elitist viewed" anyone can do the lair. Just because you cant does not mean it is too hard.
    @rothilion said:
    “Its not "overtuned" or "elitist viewed" anyone can do the lair. Just because you cant does not mean it is too hard.”
    ———————————————————

Little contradictory there don’t you think?

Anyone can’t just do the lair, that’s the first problem, even experienced players can’t just do it.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    You can, all you need is practice to learn the mechanics, and get some very high DPSers to beat out the enrage timers.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • rothilionrothilion Posts: 9 Arc User
    @rothilion said:
    “Its not "overtuned" or "elitist viewed" anyone can do the lair. Just because you cant does not mean it is too hard.”
    ———————————————————

Little contradictory there don’t you think?

Anyone can’t just do the lair, that’s the first problem, even experienced players can’t just do it.

lol its made so anyone cant just do the lair
    Who remembers people struggling for hours on TA when it first came out? Yes, at first only a very limited group of people will succeed at it, but then lessons will be learned and shared, guides will be made, and it will be 'challenging' rather than 'impossible'.
    edited June 2020
    Indeed. Much rage quitting when TA came out, but, based on the relatively few times I've done it, it's certainly not insurmountable. OTHO it's possible that further efforts to up/refine the challenge for TT may lead to a replication of the infamous Eidolon debacle. I guess time will tell.

I am a little worried about the suggested needed for uber dpsers. As experience at dino shows, there really aren't many of those around.
    Who remembers people struggling for hours on TA when it first came out? Yes, at first only a very limited group of people will succeed at it, but then lessons will be learned and shared, guides will be made, and it will be 'challenging' rather than 'impossible'.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    As far as uber dps goes, you do need good dps, but absolute top of the line does not look to be mandatory.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    nbkxs wrote: »
    You can, all you need is practice to learn the mechanics, and get some very high DPSers to beat out the enrage timers.

Anyone can do it, so long as they're top 0.1% DPSers. *facepalm*

I've been on several teams at this point (as the tank) that couldn't clear VS because DPS couldn't clear sigils. The sigils do a ton of damage to dps, and most dps simply don't do enough damage.

You can explain the mechanics of fights to people, but there are hard number thresholds here that most players simply can't cut it no matter how perfectly they play. So much for 'play the hero you want to play'. It's use what would be a 'net build' if CO was popular enough to have net builds, or don't bother playing. "Learn the fights" and "teach people to play it" doesn't do a thing if they simply don't have builds or gear good enough to clear the number bar. That's not a challenge, that's fake difficulty.

I'm incredibly disappointed. TT should have been tuned to the numbers of the VS alert. What was the point for taking away the TT lair from 99% of the game population, and making it something only 1% of players can actually do?
    ^
    Yep.

But you’ll get the same few who will say you are wrong.
    edited June 2020
    Nowhere close. Soul sigils have 16k hp; any competent dps setup can kill one in under 5s, and you have around 30s (don't personally know exact timer yet) for them to be killed by 2 dps. The main thing that makes them hard is quickly finding them and moving to kill them, and while that's a skill, it's not a gear dependent skill (other than swift flight mods that no-one uses, there's nothing gear can give you that's better than just buying a travel power and ranking it up) or strongly tied to being top dps
    Nowhere close. Soul sigils have 16k hp; any competent dps setup can kill one in under 5s, and you have around 30s (don't know exact timer yet) for them to be killed by 2 dps. The main thing that makes them hard is quickly finding them and moving to kill them, and while that's a skill, it's not a gear dependent skill (other than swift flight mods that no-one uses, there's nothing gear can give you that's better than just buying a travel power and ranking it up) or strongly tied to being top dps

I think you'll find what you consider a competent dps is a pretty optimized build. 3k dps is a reasonably limited build set, and you need over 3k dps to clear 16k hp in 5s.

A pretty standard optimized single blade build with blue primaries and R5 mods only hits ~2k sustained dps (measured on dino admittedly, but you're also not exactly going to have the time to build bleed stacks and detonate them on a sigil), and it's going to get brutalized by the sigil damage while trying to dps it down.

AFAICT, 5 sigils spawn, and 2 dps would need to clear 2.5 sigils plus cover the distance between them. Spending much more than 5s on a sigil is probably a death sentence, considering Val tends to hide some up on the top platform - even an R3 tp is only so fast.

Once you start talking about full GCR gear and R7 mods, that's a pretty limited player set.
    I think you'll find what you consider a competent dps is a pretty optimized build. 3k dps is a reasonably limited build set, and you need over 3k dps to clear 16k hp in 5s.
    3k dps is 'pick the primary attack power of your set and spam it'.
    A pretty standard optimized single blade build with blue primaries and R5 mods only hits ~2k sustained dps (measured on dino admittedly)
    You spend a lot of time blocking at dino, and the dino has high damage resistance. If you can do 2k at dino, that's plenty to take down a sigil in 5s.

3k dps is 'pick the primary attack power of your set and spam it'.

Assuming it's spammable (single blade's has a short cd, which is remarkably relevant when you're dealing with a 5s window). And assuming its one of the powersets with a powerful attack. Kamokami's build guide lists all the attacks that qualify - that's a pretty limited range of character builds.

You're also assuming you're single-statting with all your mods/gear, that your EU and form work off the same SS, and that you're using one of the PSS which has specs that allow you to double-dip on damage layer. You're talking a limited range of optimized builds. (My single blade character does these things, but it's far more optimized than what most of the game population is probably using.)

The game's biggest selling point is customization. You're describing content for a game that was basically nothing but 'archetypes', assuming the archetypes were designed competently instead of intentionally gimped.
    A pretty standard optimized single blade build with blue primaries and R5 mods only hits ~2k sustained dps (measured on dino admittedly)
    You spend a lot of time blocking at dino, and the dino has high damage resistance. If you can do 2k at dino, that's plenty to take down a sigil in 5s.

Possibly. IDK, i've always had to tank. But I can understand why lots of dps can't clear that bar.

Something I'm curious about, but maybe I am misunderstanding things. So, the Valerian alert is a watered down version of the TT version, yes? The devs are going to roll out the same alert treatment for the other TT bosses, yes? If those are true, then what I'm curious about is why they just don't have a "normal" version of the entire TT run (i.e. full TT but with the Alert version villains/mechanics) and an "elite" mode for those who want that experience? It just seems that if they are doing a lot of the work to create the watered down alert versions it shouldn't be that much more work to tool the entire TT in that mode. Or would it be tons more work? I honestly don't know. Having two versions, a"normal" mode that hundreds of players would use, and an "elite" version for others, seems like a win/win situation, especially if much of the work for the former is already in the works.
    JwLmWoa.png
    2k on a single blade is terrible, it should be more like 7-8k. Either way, I have a couple of setups that weren't able to clear, my end lightning setup couldn't do enough dmg in time. So there are plenty of things that will never be able to do enough damage. You'll have to pick something viable, 1 stat it, setup it up streamlined, and proper. And make sure you don't have any garbo powers in your build. But it is very possible. People will definitely have to adjust their builds heavily. Even the top-end folks had to make quite the significant adjustments to stand up against it. But they learned, and now, it's getting to the point where we can start really experimenting w/what works, and what doesn't. And I've had a blast doing it, and I love it. If people would stop being so negative about it, and try to step up a bit, they could have a decent setup, and learn the mechanics. We've sat through many, many long hours teaching folks. And that's not only teaching them, but refining your level against each encounter, and making you better at them with every attempt.

[NbK]XStorm
    2k on a single blade is terrible, it should be more like 7-8k.
    7-8k is powerhouse numbers. Top end dps at dino is usually around 4k.
    edited June 2020
    I have a couple of setups that weren't able to clear, my end lightning setup couldn't do enough dmg in time. So there are plenty of things that will never be able to do enough damage. You'll have to pick something viable, 1 stat it, setup it up streamlined, and proper. And make sure you don't have any garbo powers in your build. But it is very possible. People will definitely have to adjust their builds heavily. Even the top-end folks had to make quite the significant adjustments to stand up against it. But they learned, and now, it's getting to the point where we can start really experimenting w/what works, and what doesn't. And I've had a blast doing it, and I love it. If people would stop being so negative about it, and try to step up a bit, they could have a decent setup, and learn the mechanics. We've sat through many, many long hours teaching folks. And that's not only teaching them, but refining your level against each encounter, and making you better at them with every attempt.

People shouldn't have to adjust their builds. The game's about building the character that you want - content which tells people there's a very small range of acceptable builds is a terrible design philosophy *for this game*.

I'm not negative because I can't put up a character who could do it, or that I'm unwilling to learn the mechanics. I'm negative because the design philosophy is counter to what this game is. Pretty much any level 40 character should be able to complete a major story arc lair. That new TT doesn't allow that is why it's bad.

I mean, just look at what you're saying. "No garbo powers" = forget theme, theme characters can't play this. "single stat it" - you have to be boring and net build to matter. Yawn. So much for all that freedom. You're basically saying the options the game gives you are all traps, and there's a small subset of very specific builds which are what everyone should be playing.

It's especially bad because the problem parts are fake difficulty number hurdles, not real difficulty.
  • rainier6rainier6 Posts: 6 Arc User
    You'll have to pick something viable, 1 stat it, setup it up streamlined, and proper. And make sure you don't have any garbo powers in your build. But it is very possible.

If were all to play identical streamlined builds might as well burn down the FF store make every one identical ATs with no flexibility. Sounds like WOW style game and players not CO.

Some of the comments in the thread remind me of neverwinter, people bought all the power items, ran through the game (plus skipping things with convince items) had 0 challenge and 0 game to play. They essentially paid to be bored and complain, the problem might not be the non-ideal players but the bored cash shop meta-only hurting themselves.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    ... the Valerian alert is a watered down version of the TT version, yes? The devs are going to roll out the same alert treatment for the other TT bosses, yes? If those are true, then what I'm curious about is why they just don't have a "normal" version of the entire TT run ....

Devs don't want to. Grumbling from the early days I remember people running with the dev team proposing something and getting immediately snapped with "No, this isn't how I'm doing it" "No this isn't how I want it". Never We or cryptic, always *I*.

Either way so far TT seem super popular (sarcasm) 0 runs in the mornings, 2 at best in the after noon. 90% troll comments about it, to quote theendgame "Based on the people I've seen running it I wouldn't trust the comments for accuracy of how easy it is".

At least a few are starting to admit there is challenge, and issues needing to be addressed.

+1 for pointeless request to fix that challenge system for all content: solo, duo, 5man, elite, epic.

Too bad cryptic can't even afford to add a few lights to Vals cave.
  • nbkxs wrote: »
    I have a couple of setups that weren't able to clear, my end lightning setup couldn't do enough dmg in time. So there are plenty of things that will never be able to do enough damage. You'll have to pick something viable, 1 stat it, setup it up streamlined, and proper. And make sure you don't have any garbo powers in your build. But it is very possible. People will definitely have to adjust their builds heavily. Even the top-end folks had to make quite the significant adjustments to stand up against it. But they learned, and now, it's getting to the point where we can start really experimenting w/what works, and what doesn't. And I've had a blast doing it, and I love it. If people would stop being so negative about it, and try to step up a bit, they could have a decent setup, and learn the mechanics. We've sat through many, many long hours teaching folks. And that's not only teaching them, but refining your level against each encounter, and making you better at them with every attempt.

People shouldn't have to adjust their builds. The game's about building the character that you want - content which tells people there's a very small range of acceptable builds is a terrible design philosophy *for this game*.

I'm not negative because I can't put up a character who could do it, or that I'm unwilling to learn the mechanics. I'm negative because the design philosophy is counter to what this game is. Pretty much any level 40 character should be able to complete a major story arc lair. That new TT doesn't allow that is why it's bad.

I mean, just look at what you're saying. "No garbo powers" = forget theme, theme characters can't play this. "single stat it" - you have to be boring and net build to matter. Yawn. So much for all that freedom. You're basically saying the options the game gives you are all traps, and there's a small subset of very specific builds which are what everyone should be playing.

It's especially bad because the problem parts are fake difficulty number hurdles, not real difficulty.

Theme characters are fun. It's why I play the game. If I wanted to just kill everything the fastest I can I would just make a fire using ranged character and spam fire ball all day.
    edited June 2020
    Any game that lets you choose the character you play, in ways that are not completely cosmetic, will permit creating more and less effective builds, and again, if your choices are not cosmetic, they will affect your ability to do things in that game. The range of effective builds is not that small.
    While there certainly are parts that are difficult from a numbers perspective, you've picked a bad example, the raw numbers needed for sigils are in reach of dps ATs wearing blues, most of the challenge there is recognizing what you have to do and promptly going and doing it.
    edited June 2020
    Any game that lets you choose the character you play, in ways that are not completely cosmetic, will permit creating more and less effective builds, and again, if your choices are not cosmetic, they will affect your ability to do things in that game. The range of effective builds is not that small.
    While there certainly are parts that are difficult from a numbers perspective, you've picked a bad example, the raw numbers needed for sigils are in reach of dps ATs wearing blues, most of the challenge there is recognizing what you have to do and promptly going and doing it.

The range of effective builds is apparently an average of ~1 primary attack power per framework for dps, ~2 tank passives (barely, and one of which is only playable in a straight jacket), and a very limited set of support builds (lots of passive options, but few effective heal options). That's pretty limited. Also only ~5 PSS, ~half the other spec trees, and darn close to just a single gear philosophy (stack mods in one stat).

Compared to the range of options the game offers, that's really small.

And I picked that example because i haven't even gotten to the other parts of TT, and keep watching the DPS I'm tanking for fail at sigils despite promptly going and doing it. (And not infrequently dying to the sigils).

It's a major story arc finishing lair. It should be available to just about everyone. It's fine if there's difficulty in terms of doing stuff that isn't numbers-gated, but there should be basically no numbers gating. If that means the sigils have only 1k hp, or even 1hp, fine, punish people who don't play the mechanics. But what's the point in giving them 17k hp except to say 'players who don't have the numbers to pass this point can't go on'?

For the people who do 8k dps/s, the difference between 1hp sigils, 1k hp sigils and 17k hp sigils would barely register. It's certainly not adding any challenge for them. It's just a meaningless number gate.

(I haven't gotten to experience the rage timers yet, but that also sounds like a terrible idea implemented solely to punish people who don't want to play a cookie-cutter power build).
    The enrage timers cause the boss to grow to about triple in size, and all attacks kill you instantly.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • bahramnimabahramnima Posts: 2 Arc User

I've been on several teams at this point (as the tank) that couldn't clear VS because DPS couldn't clear sigils. The sigils do a ton of damage to dps, and most dps simply don't do enough damage.

You can explain the mechanics of fights to people, but there are hard number thresholds here that most players simply can't cut it no matter how perfectly they play. So much for 'play the hero you want to play'. It's use what would be a 'net build' if CO was popular enough to have net builds, or don't bother playing. "Learn the fights" and "teach people to play it" doesn't do a thing if they simply don't have builds or gear good enough to clear the number bar. That's not a challenge, that's fake difficulty.

I'm incredibly disappointed. TT should have been tuned to the numbers of the VS alert. What was the point for taking away the TT lair from 99% of the game population, and making it something only 1% of players can actually do?

i agree with you, they should have kept the old version of TT for casual players with old reward and then add epic version of TT for hard core players with better reward, rather than removing the old version and suddenly making it super hard, considering this game has low population, it make no sense to make things harder and make number of players even smaller. in my opinion the way eso and gw2 and swtor are doing dungeons with normal mode for casuals and hard mode for more hard core players is right thing to do, making content for only one group will hurt the game in the long run and this will back fire in my opinion. but we have to wait and see.
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I should send you a link to my builds topic, squirrel. All are themed and effective builds. I'm pretty confident most of those can tinker with TT without much problem. It's in your mind that themed is opposite to effective.

I'm usually running TT on a Force themed, ranged tank, spamming Force cascade. Do you read that ? A ****ing ranged tank using Force Cascade. I also managed to solo kill all the sigils with an Open Palm Strike "magic-ninja" DPS. Not even a top tier main power. Is there really such an excuse like "muh theme" ?
    Post edited by leuchadegoutiere on
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on