test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do banned players see?

Every now and then I'll see someone's name on a forum page indicating that they tried to post a message (and that bit of text will still be there until someone else posts to that thread), but when I go to the actual thread their message is not there. So, they have been banned from posting. Do those people actually see their own posts when they go to the thread, or do they also see that their posts have been removed? I ask because if it is the latter, and they can see that their posts are not there, why would they ever bother to post again? And, if their posts are being removed, why are we still seeing evidence that they tried to post? Seems like even that little text indicating that they tried to post should also disappear. I'm more confused about this than anything.
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    What you're describing is known as a shadow ban or a ghost ban.

Typically a person who has been shadow banned from a platform isn't aware that they have been. From their view, everything will appear normal and their posts will appear to show up as normal. However, from another person's point of view they won't be able to see it.

Usually the point of shadow banning someone is to drive them out of a platform from bordrem/frustration over no one responding or acknowledging their posts.

I think this forum software has the ability to both regular ban and shadow ban users. Why and when one gets used over the other is a question for the mod team. Ideally if a person is shadow banned you wouldn't be able to tell they are even posting, but this forum software is well known for being not so good.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I have to say that I don't see a real functional difference between the two, other than that shadow banning seems crueler? I mean, if someone thinks they are actually posting messages that others can see, but don't, and the hope is to drive them away from frustration, that seems much less nice than sending them a message telling them they have been banned for crossing some line or other. At least then they know that there is no point to continue to try to post.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Shadow banning in theory means people are less likely to create sock puppets to vent. I have no knowledge about how well it actually works for that purpose.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Am I shadow banned?
    Sure feels like it with how often I seem to cap threads.

Someone answer meeeEEEeeeeee.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I don't see anyone here.
    Weird.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I don’t see Rune.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Rune who?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Ha.
    Thanks.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I have to say, this is a practice that seems very open to abuse. The banner doesn't take responsibility, doesn't have to justify or explain their actions, or even inform anyone that it was done. Of course it's easier for them, but it's always easier to take the downhill road.

And I don't like the instinctive fear I feel that just posting the above could get me shadow banned too. :/
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    If you and Flow were banned for some reasons (or just left) half the useful material on the forums would disappear. I hope that never happens!
    JwLmWoa.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    An easy way to tell if you are shadowbanned is after you post view the thread in an incognito window. If your post shows up, you're good. If it doesn't, well there you go.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg