test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I was wrong! ( sorcery is actually fun and cool )

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited July 2018 in Builds and Roles
So after the sorcery pass I was kinda un-hype about it and I was all "This isn't interesting or cool, it needs another pass!". While my pet build utilized some stuff from sorcery it didn't really dip too deep into it. Well recently I figured what the heck let's give it another try and after some poking and tinkering I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting sorcery actually is, and how strong it is. I think the most interesting part is how it has cross-synergies with other powersets.

To start, here is a video of me poking things in QWZ with it:
https://youtu.be/ycW4-wzqo5M

And here is a link to the build

If you want more frequent burst ability you could replace Crashing Incantation with Fireball ( rank 2 + illuminate, so it builds your form stacks ).

Some strategies with the build that you saw me using in the video:

1. Since Skarn's Bane w/ Tranced 100% stuns anything with Jinxed on it, you can use taps of it to stun enemies then do something else ( summon sigils, use crashing incantation, heal, soul beam ) while they are stunned.
2. Always set your sigils up before a fight. You can drag enemies into them right away, or drag them in after your opening volley.
3. Drop sigils and then hide behind something; one of the most OP things about sigils is that they let you dps enemies that aren't in your line of sight.
4. Teleport into a group of enemies and then summon all your sigils. As you can see in the video you can get all 3 sets summoned before enemies even respond.
5. Warmth with Illuminate lets you build your stacks like literally all the time, so you can start every fight fully stacked.​​
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yea, the forums seem to have switched back to only allowing BBCode. I dunno what's going on there, but you'd have to export as that format to post the full build.

Anyways, Sorcery is indeed very nice now; its prob one of my fave sets after the revamp. It always had lots of powers, but imo lacked cohesion and decent normal attacks (outside of I guess the old, expensive Skarn's). New Sorc has pretty much the whole package as options now: solid attacks, buffs and debuffs that can work w/ other sets, control, heals, and some fun stuff to play around with in general.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yes, it is nice that they made it a more proper power-set, now if they can only adjust the other Frameworks like Celestial, Earth, Force, Telepathy, Archery, Wind, Gadgeteering, maybe other facets like Pets and Circles from Sorcery, like Circle of Ebon Wrath is woeful compared to the others no thanks to the Diminishing Returns on Damage and harsh healing debuff, not worth the trade off.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    That's a great tip w/ Warmth. I'm switching my Sorc char to it.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    That's cool, spinny, thanks. :)

One Q: I thought Warmth couldn't self heal, or are you healing something else (sigils?) with it to get those stacks?

RTMA - Yes, it is nice that they made it a more proper power-set, now if they can only adjust the other Frameworks like Celestial, Earth, Force, Telepathy, Archery, Wind, Gadgeteering, maybe other facets like Pets and Circles from Sorcery, like Circle of Ebon Wrath is woeful compared to the others no thanks to the Diminishing Returns on Damage and harsh healing debuff, not worth the trade off.

Well... the general principles are there. Spinny is using hefty spike damage (mostly via Ultimates+criticals and stacking debuffs), AoE stun effects for control, damage-while-blocking powers and auto-return self-heals. You can add those elements to quite a lot of builds and still retain the flavour of the set.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    One Q: I thought Warmth couldn't self heal, or are you healing something else (sigils?) with it to get those stacks?

Warmth can be used on yourself. You might be thinking of Nova Flare?
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I think I am. It's a good heal, though - that buff to DR and Illuminate is very useful. I guess it's why the Blazing AT works so well in that type of setting...
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Right above the textarea with the export copypasta is "Export Type" and a list of several options. Click BBCode. Now the copypasta is ready for the forums! Example:

HI PLEASE ADD A NAME TO YOUR BUILD UNTIL I GET AROUND TO ADDING A TERNARY TO HANDLE EMPTY STRING NAMES BECAUSE OTHERWISE PEOPLE CAN'T CLICK THE LINK TO VIEW YOUR BUILD UNLESS YOU PROVIDE SAID LINK MANUALLY OKAY GREAT THANKS
    v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1:
    Level 6:
    Level 9:
    Level 12:
    Level 15:
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts (advantages)
    Level 1: Sigils of Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3, Mystic Transference)
    Level 6: Sigils of Arcane Runes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Tranced)
    Level 11: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Conjuring
    Level 17: Spellcaster (advantages)
    Level 20: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Sigils of the Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3, Mystic Transference)
    Level 26: Hex of Suffering (advantages)
    Level 29: Curse (Jinxed)
    Level 32: Warmth (Illuminate)
    Level 35: Crashing Incantation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Conviction (advantages)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Teleport (advantages)

Specializations
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Battle of Wits (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Surprise Attack (2/2)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

- - -

That said, if html isn't used by the forums anymore and won't be in the foreseeable future, maybe I should remove it as an export option entirely.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    That said, if html isn't used by the forums anymore and won't be in the foreseeable future, maybe I should remove it as an export option entirely.​​
    I would probably just change the default type in the export tab.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    aesica wrote: »
    I would probably just change the default type in the export tab.
    Yeah, BBCode will be the new default unless something comes up between now and the single blade revamp release. However, the forum html was something of an odd bird in that it's mostly unsuitable as actual html: No line breaks, css-unfriendly formatting tags mainly. Unless there's a few other co-related forums which use it that I'm unaware of, it's hard to justify keeping a literally-useless export option.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    Any replacement for Curse (for those of us that do not want to stab a doll.)
    Any replacement for Curse (for those of us that do not want to stab a doll.)

Unfortunately Curse is the only tap aoe to apply Jinxed with. Eldritch Blast has an advantage to apply it to a single target, but that won't get you the "stun the whole group" effect that having everything instantly Jinxed will. Invocation of Storm Calling applies it at the end of a maintain, but you'd probably be dead by then. I searched high and low for a replacement because I didn't want to stab a doll either but luckily it ended up looking cute because of the character.

Jinxed is actually a pretty rare effect and isn't on very many powers.​​
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    Oh Poo......
    Well, there is Crashing Incantation. If you just start every fight with that you'll at least get a stretch of having several things Jinxed.​​
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    Pillar of Poz has a Jinxed advantage (Dilemma). Its range is limited, but can work with some adjusted tactics; like leading with Hex of Suffering (with Rune of Dismay), and setting up Poz/Skarn during the initial stun.
    edited July 2018
    Pillar of Poz, I totally missed that! \o/ Huh, with the knock back advantage and the Jinxed advantage that would actually be really useful​​
  • katiebonnellkatiebonnell Posts: 20 Arc User
    Pillar of Poz, I totally missed that! \o/ Huh, with the knock back advantage and the Jinxed advantage that would actually be really useful​​

What about Hex of Suffering to stun?

What about Hex of Suffering to stun?

It's a thing you could do. I use Curse because it also applies Jinxed which gives Skarn's Bane 100% chance to stun per tick. Hex of Suffering doesn't apply Jinxed.