test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help with Night Warrior

kingpin0000kingpin0000 Posts: 68 Arc User
So I'm trying to use my free FF slot. Decided to try Night Warrior, opposed to Way of the Warrior. I keep seeing NW builds scoring really high at cosmics & I wanna get me some of that lol. I'm feeling like I'm approaching it wrong though because even on PTS my numbers feel sorta off.

My character idea is a Spawn inspired mma fighter who passes in and out of nightmares and can attack from another plane of existence. Thought NW fit that nice. Can someone clue me in on the best ways to get the most out of it? I don't wanna waste a FF. Buying a retcon isn't an option & I'm quite poor in game too. Or maybe you can suggest a better passive to use? I'm stuck in the powerhouse until then so please help.

My strongest build is a might build that I have justice gear and cosmic secondaries for. It uses r7 strength mods. Still, it doesn't score that high very often. My attempt with NW seemingly had worse numbers using r9 mods. I did something wrong.

In general, I think given the stealth that charged melee attacks would get the most outta the build, or is that not so much a concern to overall dps? I want comparatively high numbers. I don't get to play enough to grind for endgame gear properly but I would still like to know what the best gear would be as well assuming I can get it eventually.

Any thoughts for me?

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Yea, because NW also reduces charge speed times, it's generally best used w/ builds that spam charged attacks. But that will also come down to what main attack you are choosing to use and how you are building around it. Outside of being Str-based (and we'll have to assume that you can't change the stat focus, for now at least), we could prob do w/ more info on your current build.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • kingpin0000kingpin0000 Posts: 68 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Yea, because NW also reduces charge speed times, it's generally best used w/ builds that spam charged attacks. But that will also come down to what main attack you are choosing to use and how you are building around it. Outside of being Str-based (and we'll have to assume that you can't change the stat focus, for now at least), we could prob do w/ more info on your current build.

I don't have any confirmed build for it yet. It's sitting in the powerhouse with no locked in superstats, specs, or powers atm. I was hoping for an entire build suggestion for the overall theme. As far as a main attack I was thinking about burning chi fist or haymaker. Not sure which would lead to better overall dps. It would be nice to fit one hundred hands in there solely because I like it, but I figure it may be a bit wasted.
    edited April 2020
    Well, if using Str, then that's either AotB or Enrage for the toggle/form. BCF doesn't innately knock, so I'd prob go w/ a Haymaker build then (that, or maybe Massacre/Bestial, or Annihilate/HW). I prob wouldn't recommend 100Hands for the build, since it takes longer for it to put up Demolish, and it doesn't knock for Enrage. Here's a basic Might dps framework as an example, but using NW as the passive:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)
    v3.43:35

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Blade (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Enrage
    Level 6: Pulverizer
    Level 8: Uppercut (Setup, Reckless Endangerment)
    Level 11: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Haymaker (Rank 2, Reckless Strikes)
    Level 29: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Intensity (Rank 2)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Overpower (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Brawler: No Escape (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Finishing Blow (2/3)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

(not an early leveling build, ofc)

Shockwave is there just so you have some decent AoE to work with. The basic rotation for bosses is to charge Demolish (to put up its debuff initially), charge Uppercut (for Reckless and Blindside), and then alternate between 3x charged Haymaker and 1x charged Uppercut from then on. If using Brawler spec, then you ideally want to be behind the mob for Flanking. Other powers- like an ult, another self-heal, a stun, or reses can be added to the free power slots, as you see fit. Gears mostly for Str, w/ some Rec and Dex (and some maxHP mods on defensive gear).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited April 2020
    Thanks, I'll give this a try on PTS & play around a bit with it before locking anything in with my new FF. With NW should I go for dodge chance gear so I can dodge a bit more often or concentrate on stacking avoidance so that when I do dodge it does more for me? Let's assume merc gear or fort gear is the best I'll be able to do for a long time. I figure I'm gonna need a Justice or Dist primary defense asap to get any truly viable amount of either value though right?

Edit: Oh, nvm that was defense gear you said. Can I ask why defense?
    edited April 2020
    Since you're a dps, I prob wouldn't focus on dodge/avoid, as it's unreliable mitigation, and you're not using something like BCR/RR anyways (which has a 10% base dmg penalty as well). Also, I advised getting +maxHP on defensive (ie. slot type) gear, not +defense itself. Extra defense can still be okay for the mitigation, but it won't scale as well here since you'll lack spec options like Fortified Gear. Most of your reliable mitigation comes from good blocking, anyways.
    Ah ok, gotcha. Gonna try this stuff as soon as I get the chance. Hope you don't mind me bothering you with an alternative build concept. I've wanted for a long time to create a NW build centered around one-shotting weak enemies from stealth with sniper rifle then retreating back to stealth as soon as possible. Outside of that, my main attack for cosmics & such would be a dual handguns power like two-gun mojo or getting upclose with bullet ballet. I'd also idealy throw in lead tempest for my go to AoE. I know I'm better off going with melee for damage sake with NW but is there a viable way to make that sniper NW build for fun sake & still score well? I worry it might not even hit the min at cosmics if I go with NW. This may be my one chance to build that.
    Here's the character background for that potential sniper build so you can get a good idea of the feel I'm going for power-wise & for the overall gimmick. An example build would be great.

Name: Gundae Mourning
    Specialty: Gunfu
    Favorite Weapon: Twin Handguns nicknamed Peace & Quiet

Background: Formerly a member of the "Church of Equality", followers of the "Book of Balance" which preaches the values of sin & redeemablity of faith. Sins are weighed by degree of excess & those guilty of sin can regain balance within society by donating equivalent time, money, and/or services to the church. Thus drug dealing, prostitution, even murder can all be deemed acceptable. Those who refuse to seek balance are "removed from the scale".

Members of select families within this group establish & maintain the balance. Each member serves as a preacher/pastor for their neighborhood's church. The church overlooks & regulates all neighborhood activities. They're trained from a young age in their family's unique specialty. Gundae was adopted into the Mourning family, Ben & Alexis, at the age 6 after his mother was killed in an incident. Six years later, Gundae's parents had a son, Willis who took over as Ben's heir. Relieved, prodigy Gundae became Willis's training partner. Gundae eventually agreed to fill in as heir until Willis comes of age.

Six years after Gundae took over, his mom, dad, & brother were killed in another "incident". With his family dead, Gundae lost his status within the community & was cast out while a new family was elected to fill the Mourning's role within the church. He mourned for his family, but was relieved to get out of the life & away from the church.

A year later, Gundae came across someone he had dealings with when he served the church. They let it slip that the tragic "incidents" in Gundae's life weren't "accidents". The church set it all up & found a way to get rid of him when his message & social influence began to upset the balance. Now Gundae wants revenge & to shut the church down for good. They won't see him coming but... Hell be there Gundae Mourning!
    Oh, one more thing. When I tried to build the sniper NW one myself, sniper rifle could only kill on critical hits and not always. Even with around 40% crit & the extra 10% from the avenger tree it would rarely even crit which left me wide open. Do you think snipe & run can be a reliable attack strategy like I'm going for at least for adds? From 120ft I can still run away & try again most of the time but reliability would be nice.
    NW's dmg boost is universal, so that actually doesn't favor melee over ranged innately, unlike something like WotW. Melee does have an easier time using NW's Shadowstrike (ranged can still use it, but they'd have to get up close), but that's about it for pve.

As for sniping: the main issue is that SR's sustained dps is pretty low, and that you can't use it if you're taking dmg constantly. It's fine for an opener, and/or if you want to dps from >100ft in content where other people are tanking mobs for you, but I wouldn't make it the main attack otherwise. It's also is a large dps loss to run away just to reset a mob to go at it w/ SR again- maybe you can do that to toy around w/ easy mobs when solo, but not in serious content, or if you're actually trying to be efficient. You can't guarantee a crit w/ it anyways, so the reliable thing would be having something like Sonic Device or Toxic Nanites to add extra dmg to your next attack (and/or maybe popping an AO right before using SR).

NW isn't as ideal for Muni, since Muni is mostly maintained attacks, and you give up being able to use Targeting Comp as the passive instead. NW can still work fine for a dps passive for the set, though- mainly if you still want easy access to stealth.

Anyways, here's a basic pistol Muni build w/ NW and SR, as an example build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.43:35

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Martial Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 3)
    Level 9: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Concentration
    Level 6: Killer Instinct
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
    Level 11: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Sonic Device (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Sniper Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Lock N Load
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

(not an early leveling build, ofc)

You're prob not gonna top dps charts w/ this, but it should still pull its weight pretty well, and be pretty easy to use. You could also consider the special adv on TGM over R3 for more dps that way, though that requires you to get up close, whereas R3 is the easier and more reliable option. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Dex and Rec (and some +maxHP on gear).
    Thanks a lot. Gonna try that build now. One question: Is the new dual handguns ultimate worth taking with it?
    It's pretty much a suped-up Lead Tempest. Take it if you want a bit more burst dps, though if you're playing in groups often you may want to consider an Ult w/ Overpower instead.