test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game is nonsense

I just do not get this game. How do I upgrade my character? If it means buying slottable ear like SWTOR, then how do I do that? If not, how TF do I upgrade? I simply cannot advance as this game stands. It's nonsense.

Comments

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    If you play the story content as you level, you should receive gear as drops from the mobs you defeat and mission rewards. Once you reach the top level, 40, it's time to start working for that gear. Plenty of content available to farm for what you want or go to the Auction House and buy.

I don't like to shill for any chat channel, but /join_channel TheEndGame is a good way to ask questions or just see what's being written there.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    How do you upgrade?

You play the game. I know, I know, in this modern era of pay-to-win games where you can just outfit your toon at the very pinnacle from the beginning and obviate the very concept of "play" that might seem counterintuitive, but give it a try. When defeated, enemies will sometimes drop things marked with glowing exclamations. Pick the item up, then when you get a chance open your inventory and lay your pointer over the item. A text box will pop up that compares what the item does with what your current item does. If it's better, equip it; if not, sell it to a vendor (there's usually one near every hub area in the game world - Karneeki the Magnificent, near the Powerhouse in Renaissance Center, is the earliest example). And if you don't have an item in that position, equip the one you found, because something's better than nothing, right?

Be sure to level up whenever the opportunity arises as well - that's the primary means by which you "upgrade" your character in this game, the gear is nice but only necessary if you're chasing DPS or need to survive Cosmics. If you want help figuring out what powers or stats to upgrade, there are a number of subforums in here, and I think a few Chat channels - just don't ask in Zone, because people will start giving ridiculous answers they think are funny.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    Every single time I've begun to respond to this post I have decided to delete what I wrote. So, I will just quote a famous rabbit, "If you can't say somethin nice... don't say nothin at all." and leave it at that.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Uh... the same way you do in like nearly all other MMOs?

Equip gear... pick skills... spend points. There is a little button on your mini map that looks like a blue lightning bolt that will go nuts whenever you have points to spend. Clicky clicky.

It would help if you said what level you are so we know if you're asking how to advance while leveling, or how to advance once you're max level cause the answer changes ( again, like in most other mmos)
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    You put new tights on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    I'm at a loss at what to suggest. I mean, if you just play the game (run the missions), look at at what and use what is in your inventory, and click the various buttons/icons you learn how the game works. Is this your first MMO?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    > @jarenkincaid said:
    > I just do not get this game. How do I upgrade my character? If it means buying slottable ear like SWTOR, then how do I do that? If not, how TF do I upgrade? I simply cannot advance as this game stands. It's nonsense.

Hello SWToR kin!

So in this game you get gear and you can train at anytime that you have spare power or advantage points. The Power House is also your friend as any unspent AP and Powers you have upon entry can be freely respec'd while you experiment and you have access to a number of rooms for different kinds of testing including a Danger Room analog for 'real' world sim tests.

Gear comes in the form of six slots divided into primary and secondary and further sectioned into offensive, defensive, and utility. As you play you'll secure a number of pieces both as random drops and as mission rewards. As you level up you will find gear, usually primary, with slots for upgrades these are tied into the games crafting/gathering system.

Sadly the devs dropped true crafting from the game and instead we have what is basically a refining system where in we sacrifice five of something for a marginally improved version.

Beyond this You'll kind of need to experiment... and read/listen to the tutorials as well as ask for advice in game, though IIRC there is some kind of lockout for new players/characters to try and keep the gold farmers off the channels, unlike SWToR where you have the joy of endless spam.

In general just screw around and see what you can do read tool tips and head to the builds section for help building a Free Form character as they are prone to being the easiest to screw up.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    One thing that is nice is that if you screw up an early level build it is fairly cheap to go to the Power House to redo it. You can spend currency to remove powers/advantages in the reverse of the order taken and can change stats/specs all in one go.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    So you you decided to come to champions and have no idea what your doing. Well read the manual and listen to these vets here and soon you to will be on your way to grind until death as well.
    giphy.gif