test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to have rainbow powers

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Controls and Interface
I figured out how to make a set of bind files that let cycle through colors automatically rather that stick with a fixed color. The basic idea is to rebind keys 1-7 to not only push a power, but also change color, and load a new set of commands. Here is the step by step.

1) Create a .txt file in you Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\live folder. Start the name however you like. I used the character's name, Garland. End the name with a number that will be part of a sequence. I used '_##'.
2) in the text file copy and paste these 7 lines without the brackets into the text file.
<
1 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 0$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
2 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 1$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
3 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 2$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
4 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 3$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
5 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 4$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
6 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 5$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
7 "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 6$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"

t "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 14$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
shift "powerhue 0 0$$+PowerTrayExec 16$$bind_load_file Garland_02.txt"
>
3) Duplicate that file 7 times, s that you have 7 .txt files in your live folder
4) Name the file <yourcharacter>_##, or whatever you like
5)go into the files change each instance of 'Garland_02.txt' to whatever you choose in step 4. The important thing to remember is each file needs to load the next file in the sequence. Every line of XXXXXXX_01.txt needs to load XXXXXXX_02.txt.
6) Go through and set the second 0 to whatever color you like. Make it the same on all the lines in each file.
7) Log on with whatever character you like. type '/bind_load_file Garland_01.txt' with out the quotes and using the file name you chose.

And that should be it.

Let me know what if you like it or have any question, or better if you like up fun ways to tweak it.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I posted a better summary of how to do this effectively on my SG forums:

http://gentlepersons.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=36

I don't think you can make it change the color of a maintain during the maintain, but you could easily bind that to a random key and just tap it during the maintain ;)
  • Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Just to make things easier, I will post here what I found on another thread because I had my new main (yes, he's that awesome) up an running in minutes. If you follow the quoted text you'll have rainbow powers that cycle perfectly. The whole setup was flawless. Just follow the steps.

Note - Massive kudos to the original poster!

To use this method, you need to create two text files.
    1: A binds file. It can be named anything, but I recommend something like colorshift.txt for this one. It can be saved in:
    \Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live\

In that file just copy and paste these lines: (the ones between Begin and End, not begin and end themselves)
    Begin
    SHIFT "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 16"
    ALT+1 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 7"
    ALT+2 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 8"
    ALT+3 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 9"
    ALT+4 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 10"
    ALT+5 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 11"
    ALT+6 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 12"
    ALT+7 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 13"
    ALT+t "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 15"
    1 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 0"
    2 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 1"
    3 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 2"
    4 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 3"
    5 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 4"
    6 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 5"
    7 "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 6"
    t "+down1$$hue$$+powertrayexec 14"
    End

2: The alias file. This one must be named CommandAliases.txt, and must be stored in:
    \Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live\localdata

In that file just copy and paste these lines: (the ones between Begin and End, not begin and end themselves)
    Begin
    alias hue360 "powerhue 0 360$$alias hue hue75"
    alias hue75 "powerhue 0 75$$alias hue hue150"
    alias hue150 "powerhue 0 150$$alias hue hue225"
    alias hue225 "powerhue 0 225$$alias hue hue300"
    alias hue300 "powerhue 0 300$$alias hue hue15"
    alias hue15 "powerhue 0 15$$alias hue hue90"
    alias hue90 "powerhue 0 90$$alias hue hue165"
    alias hue165 "powerhue 0 165$$alias hue hue240"
    alias hue240 "powerhue 0 240$$alias hue hue315"
    alias hue315 "powerhue 0 315$$alias hue hue30"
    alias hue30 "powerhue 0 30$$alias hue hue105"
    alias hue105 "powerhue 0 105$$alias hue hue180"
    alias hue180 "powerhue 0 180$$alias hue hue255"
    alias hue255 "powerhue 0 255$$alias hue hue330"
    alias hue330 "powerhue 0 330$$alias hue hue45"
    alias hue45 "powerhue 0 45$$alias hue hue120"
    alias hue120 "powerhue 0 120$$alias hue hue195"
    alias hue195 "powerhue 0 195$$alias hue hue270"
    alias hue270 "powerhue 0 270$$alias hue hue345"
    alias hue345 "powerhue 0 345$$alias hue hue60"
    alias hue60 "powerhue 0 60$$alias hue hue135"
    alias hue135 "powerhue 0 135$$alias hue hue210"
    alias hue210 "powerhue 0 210$$alias hue hue285"
    alias hue285 "powerhue 0 285$$alias hue hue360"
    alias hue "hue360"
    End

Once you have both of these files in place, log on with the character that you want to have multicolored powers and type the following in the chat window:
    /bindloadfile "colorshift.txt"

This CommandAliases file is only loaded when the game launches, so you'll have to quit and relaunch if the game was running when you did this.

That should be it. That characters powers hould change color everytime one of them is activated.

I've also attached copies of the two files. If you're using different keys for your powers, or have other binds that might conflict, you'll need to edit accordingly.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    thats a new record for a necro post​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    chaelk wrote: »
    thats a new record for a necro post

This Forum Thread is marked as Sticky/Announcement

It doesn't matter if they Necro it, it was Stickied to last forever​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    wonder if Dakrushmor saw this before he got banned for promoting another method?

Honestly hadn't seen this stickied before​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    While since we can post in here all willy-nilly I might as well add that I haven't been able to get this to work. Has anyone else tried it?
  • ericrightshow82ericrightshow82 Posts: 582 Arc User
    Is there a way to change these bindings to work on my xbox controller?
  • melangraenmelangraen Posts: 25 Arc User
    I know this is an old post, however I am now having some issues with my color changing powers. I'm lifetime and my fairie's powers were working this morning and now they aren't. What could be the potential problem? Give me some things to check please because I can't think of anything else to check.
  • doctordevicedoctordevice Posts: 2 Arc User
    First guess would be that either your key binds got reset or the CommandAliases.txt file got removed (or corrupted).

If the problem is with CommandAliases.txt, you should be getting errors in chat (something about unrecognized command, I think) when you fire your powers. If that's the case, recreate the file as listed above and place it in Cryptic Studios/Champions Online/Live/localdata . Otherwise, check your key binds.

If your key binds have gotten reset, you can reload them using the method above.

• stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    So, I made myself a rainbow character and made use of this bind layout.

Why I'm here is this. Although it works perfect with the keyboard (and not my num pad), unfortunately I don't play that way. I use the mouse and a gamepad.

Is there a way to adapt this for mouse clicks to the tray? Or am I out of luck and should just be happy with how it is?

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    stratluver wrote: »
    Is there a way to adapt this for mouse clicks to the tray?
    You would have to do it with something that can be bound, which I don't think applies to mouse clicks on controls (you can put binds on right/left click, but they don't get applied if you click on a window).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

You can bind, you just have to use the names in this list.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • cptmassive1cptmassive1 Posts: 120 Arc User
    Necro alert - I got this working yesterday.

That was yesterday. I tried both methods - the original and the simplified newer version at the link. Both seemed to work just fine yesterday.

I then added the keybinds for the xbox controller into the mix, basically replacing the keyboard key with the button or combo I had been using. Worked great all evening yesterday. Awesome.

Today I log on and all the auras I had on the character are not their custom colors they were assigned but they were one fixed color, all the same. The powers however continued to be changing to a different hue upon activation as they did yesterday.

No problem, manually reassign aura colors, fixed. Nope. Then all the powers were the same fixed color - not the same as the auras and not the default power color either.

THEN, I check all the bind files and remove them one at a time and replace them. Same sequence happens:

1) reassign aura colors; colorshift stops working
    2) unbind all
    3) exit and relaunch game, reload colorshift file, it starts working again
    4) auras are assigned colors until I start using the rainbow powers, then auras all go back to single fixed color, powers continue to rotate upon activation
    5) go to 1

Any ideers? I have tried both methods loaded into the directories and both will work...temporarily.

Both the commandaliases file and the initial colorshift file are the same as above. The controller binds just replace the keyboard keys with buttons - doubt I am allowed to post that file text according to the ToS.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    From what I've read this is a side effect of the keybinds changing your aura colors along with your power colors. The Dev's made a change a while back to keep the aura colors from rotating in combat. So you land on a color for your auras and it stays. if you drop out of combat and then re-enter, it will likely shift again. At least, that's my understanding of it..

You can use auras that don't allow color changes. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's a fix for this.
    edited April 2020
    It's not distinct to auras, you can see the same thing with any power you can turn on and leave on. A fx doesn't change color until something causes it to be restarted (zoning, turning it on and off, etc). Changing the color of individual powers by the menus does force that power to be restarted, but changing all powers does not.

This actually lets you make certain powers multicolored (for example, millennial flight is three different fx that turn on at different times). Auras that create objects that only last for a while (such as floating balls) also work for that.
    I figured it would end up being getting one or the other to work consistently if I wanted rotation so I went back to each power having a different color so I could keep my auras the way they were.

The original goal was to get redirected force to have a different color bubble for each ally protected by it. I saw someone do this years ago and I am guessing that capability is gone now as all the bubbles are the same color whether they switch at each activation or not.
    They were probably using protection field, not redirected force. You have never been able to make a single power activation produce different colors on different targets.
    If it was protection field, this person figured out how to activate about 10 of them in under 1 second on different targets (and had the E to do so, which should be nearly impossible). I'd say under 0.5 seconds, actually - virtually at the same time. Lit up everyone at the trainer with a different color.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    That's a cool trick. Maybe they'll see this post and let folks know how they did it?
    If it was protection field, this person figured out how to activate about 10 of them in under 1 second on different targets (and had the E to do so, which should be nearly impossible). I'd say under 0.5 seconds, actually - virtually at the same time. Lit up everyone at the trainer with a different color.
    Effects have speeds (targets closer to the origin are affected faster than targets further away), so I suppose you could use something to inject color changes very very fast and have different colors on different targets. It might be possible to do with a very long macro of powerhue 0 0 $$ powerhue 0 15 $$ powerhue 0 30, otherwise you'd probably have to use a programmable mouse.
    (looks at ~332 button programmable mouse he has for absolutely no reason) Uh, say again? I thought the mouse buttons only went up to 8 but I have this Corsair...

Dangit - now I need to find out the maps for my 12 thumb buttons. It's not like I'm locked in my house and can't leave.

@Spooky this was several years ago that I saw whoever do this - don't even know if the game still supports the ability.