test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dodge tank with ranged powers viable?

Just wondering if a dodge tank is even possible without taking Thundering Kicks, keeping it entirely ranged?

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    As long as you're not tanking stuff that can one-shot you on a missed dodge, you don't need 100% dodge.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Yea, normal dodge builds are fine for a lot of content, even w/o TKicks. I'd still take adv of the BCR/RR synergy, though, as that can be very nice for dodge tanks, and R3 LR + R1 MD alone will put you at 100% dodge when MD is up. It can also be useful to still have an upfront heal to help mitigate strings of bad dodge RNG, but for the most part you can just build and play it like normal tank, if you want.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I'm hoping we will get some ranged dodge options with the archery revamp.... that may never come.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Once you understand how LR works, you don't have a problem to tank whatever you want.
    From my own experience, you can either try to get as close as 100% dodge but you'll sacrifice damages (i.e. : less aggro so bleh) or you opt for a stronger damage mitigation.

Many ranged powers have Challenge so it should be possible to build a ranged tank but I'm not sure there are many ranged powers with damage mitigations?
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    The biggest thing with dodge builds are a couple very specific buffs with the advantage on party and the dodge buff on thundering kicks. Unfortunately, those aren't really available anywhere else and it doesn't look like the devs are willing to add them elsewhere.

Additionally, the advantage on party only applies to melee attacks, meaning it would need to be changed or a separate option would be needed.

Of course, that's in terms of end-game tanking where 100% is required. For most other content, just LR and good gear can hold you over pretty well. Just consider backing it up with some good con or defense and you're solid.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    LR tanks are basically the PA dps of tanking: super strong in their class, but extremely limited in their power choices. You gotta deal with the limited choice if you want that sweet sweet luxury of being the strongest type of tank in the game.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    LR tanks are basically the PA dps of tanking: super strong in their class, but extremely limited in their power choices. You gotta deal with the limited choice if you want that sweet sweet luxury of being the strongest type of tank in the game.

But ... but ... but .... BUT ..... argh.

What about a non-100% LR tank? Sure, I'd still have to block all of the things that Defiance, et al have to block, just to be careful. Does that matter? If not, then I'm going to make a ranged LR tank from someone.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited April 2020
    If you can survive blocking when your defensive passive disappears, sure. Hell in that case you might as well try a PFF tank.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I already do bring a PFF and Regen tank to cosmics. Both do well enough as MT with plenty of heals. Right up until that crit of spike damage. Otherwise a good AoRP helps any tank.

I'm not trying to MT with them. But, sometimes no one else steps forth.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    I still remember the day that TheRavenForce tanked Telios as PFF and we were all like "ermagerd" about it.
    I still remember the day that TheRavenForce tanked Telios as PFF and we were all like "ermagerd" about it.
    Of course, I've seen Teleios tanked by a dps. He doesn't really do much damage.
    Of course, I've seen Teleios tanked by a dps. He doesn't really do much damage.

I've seen him tanked by a support. Do I win?
    I've seen him tanked by a support. Do I win?
    The support seems like it would have more trouble with threat generation, but otherwise it seems about the same difficulty.