test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Unarmed Combo Power

championsrperchampionsrper Posts: 66 Arc User
TL;DR: Take Blade Tempest, make it Crushing Damage, apply Demolish on the third hit instead of Shredded, and use the Righteous Fists animation instead. Boom. Easy.

Here's why.

As a life long Dodge Tank fan, Thundering Kicks is an obvious necessity, but even at rank 3, the DPS is pretty bad. Having enough DPS to maintain Threat is crucial for a tank. Most other tanks use powerful charge powers like Haymaker or Dragon's Wrath to deal big hits of damage between blocking.

However, in order to maintain 100% dodge chance, you have a 2 second window between melee attacks with the Elusive Monk dodge buff, another crucial part of any Dodge tanks build. This small 2 second window means that most charge powers take too long between hits, leaving small gaps in time when our defenses are down and we can be killed in a single shot.

If this buff lasted even a second or two longer, it would be far less of an issue, but instead, I personally have always relied on combo powers as my source of DPS since they attack in rapid succession. Thundering Kicks' damage is laughably bad though, and Rank 3 is necessary for the increased dodge chance, so any of the other potential advantages aren't even an option.

During the last rework to some of the Martial Arts, Thundering Kicks got an advantage that replaced the dodge aspect with Demolish. But why? I'm guessing it was an attempt to make it more offensive rather than defensive, but the damage is bad even at rank 3, and wasting 2 advantage points just to add a debuff is even worse, especially when you're also LOSING the defensive aspect. If this were a 0 point advantage I'd understand, but its just unusable.

So why can't we have a new combo power that applies Demolish on the last hit? Blade Tempest has GREAT damage, AND applies Shredded on the third hit, WITHOUT an advantage. Why can't we get an Unarmed combo power like that for Crushing damage and Demolish instead of Slashing.

Slashing has one handed weapons, two handed weapons, fighting claws, AND Bestial gets TWO almost functionally identical claw combos. Defensive Combo is interesting, but the loss of Threat and low damage make it just as bad as Thundering Kicks. Beatdown also has really lackluster damage output, and not everyone wants to look like Grond while punching things. Cleave is powerful, but slow, and the last hit deals half fire damage, which conflicts with Brute Force Threat Mods that want to focus on Crushing damage. Bullet Ballet is also fun and powerful, but also deals half piercing damage, and not everyone wants to punch things with GUNS.

So why can't we get a decent Unarmed Martial Arts combo power? Why don't we have one already? Instead we just have a series of kicks and big, singular punches. Think of how cool a mix of kung-fu punches and kicks could look as a combo.

Actually, don't even bother imagining, just check out the animation for Righteous Fists, because it is SERIOUSLY underrated and looks amazing. I would love to beat people up with that all the time if energy builders were good for anything other than a single hit in case your energy dropped a little too low.

Punching and kicking is like, the go-to for superheroes, but the few powers we have that do that are singular, cheesy, over-the-top punches. I want to feel like a martial artist with some awesome combo moves, not Repetitive One Punch Man.

Comments