test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swift Wings

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Has anyone fused these to higher ranks? I hear they get additional stats at certain ranks, wondering what they are.

Comments

• cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    I’ve only seen them on the PTS. I think at R9 they add 13 to out of combat flight and 4 to in combat flight.

Where do these even come from?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I don’t think they are in game....I’ve never seen one anywhere in live
    They are rewards for completing the revamped Dr. Destroyer's Robot Factory lair​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    So you have some?
    edited October 2019
    So you have some?
    Yes sir... only 2 because I only done it once to test it on Live
    The problem is there is HARDLY any motivation to run this lair, especially when the community is more focused on farming Endgame Cosmics and Teleios Tower, rewards that actually matter
    Doesn't help we are on Auto Pilot with Events with no space to breath
    EPLi1FV.png
    Makes you wonder why DEVs even bothered revamping and ranking up the lair's difficulty if players won't bother with it
    Just waste of time and resources ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have done testing with the mod in PTS, While Rank 9 has an obvious effect on the travel power, it's not really something amazing​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    They stack right? I’ve been thinking about putting a couple of them in an alternate utility primary just for a travel build. Once I get some that is.

Kind of neat but not worth it for me YMMV.

edited October 2019
    spinnytop wrote: »
    So like... how much speed is 4?
    Well hard to tell by the eye
    Here is some GIFs from PTS
    Rank 5 gives +3.5 flight speed out of combat and +0.75 flight speed in combat
    Rank 9 gives +13 flight speed out of combat and +4 flight speed in combat

Normal RANK 3 Flight - NO CORE
    lGkf0yf.gif

1 RANK 5 CORE
    EMKVH5s.gif

2 RANK 5 CORES
    r4tE6y9.gif

2 RANK 9 CORES
    ZIcZkY0.gif​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    What a waste u3u glad I asked before I started seriously farming Destro Factory
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    R1 Flight non-combat/combat top speed is 54/20
    R2 Flight is 67/25
    R3 Flight is 82/30

So 1 Rank 9 core is roughly equivalent to 1 Rank of Flight.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What a waste u3u glad I asked before I started seriously farming Destro Factory
    I can't believe Foxbat died for this! RIP Fox vs Fiend Mission onion-12.gif

Well unless you want the Destroyed Drone head costume unlock or the 2 flying punches pet device
    I think it's time for the DEVs to buff Swift Wings and give it additional bonuses like they did with the Special Threat-reduction modes​​
  • stormturmoilstormturmoil Posts: 10 Arc User
    Logically and thematically speaking, a Dodge/Avoid Bonus would seem appropriate (to represent a quick sideslip) alongside the flight speed increases, and even if it's small would make this Mod much more desirable (since more Dodge/Avoid is never going to be a bad thing even if you don't build round it, and if you do it's another source that isn't competing for your Defence gear slots), though it might have to be made to not stack to keep balance. It might even make it desirable even for characters that don't use flight.
    Logically and thematically speaking, a Dodge/Avoid Bonus would seem appropriate (to represent a quick sideslip) alongside the flight speed increases, and even if it's small would make this Mod much more desirable (since more Dodge/Avoid is never going to be a bad thing even if you don't build round it, and if you do it's another source that isn't competing for your Defence gear slots), though it might have to be made to not stack to keep balance. It might even make it desirable even for characters that don't use flight.

Excellent suggestion! and makes sense in theme since the mod is called "Swift" :+1:​​
    I mean shoot we got a Utility Mod that increases damage, might as well get one that increases dodge. Doubt it'd get any meaningful amount tho cause that'd make making a dodge tank too easy.

Hell I'd settle for some cost discount, or even "Increases your damage while you have Flight active".
  • jenniferloganjenniferlogan Posts: 44 Arc User
    While I am not arguing against any suggestion here, the Swift Wings mod does also add both charge time reduction for flight powers as well as a reduction in the increased power cost while flight is active. I am not clear on whether the charge time reduction also reduces the delay between stages for Jet Boots/Jet pack, which I would hope.

Another suggestion for an added effect I would love to see on the mod is some form of resistance to that gravity snare certain mobs in the QWZ uses to slam fliers into the ground. I've been killed by that numerous times and there are not a lot of counters apart from not flying.
    edited October 2019
    Another suggestion for an added effect I would love to see on the mod is some form of resistance to that gravity snare certain mobs in the QWZ uses to slam fliers into the ground. I've been killed by that numerous times and there are not a lot of counters apart from not flying.
    WOOOO BOY! Gravity is a terrible and flawed penatly mechanic by itself, which despite the complains and the bugs, Devs never addressed!
    Nothing says fair by making Flight powers complety worthless (in Eidolon RIP due to the speed DEBUFF, in a fight where movement is important to avoid enviromental hazards) and sliding from a 2 feet slops in QZONE cause you to take 5000 damage!​​ On a Ground Travel power like super speed
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Gravity is a horrible mechanic, but if it causes you to not fly it's working as intended.
  • silentline7silentline7 Posts: 21 Arc User
    I was one of those few who made the mistake of diving into farming these.

If they literally decreased the travel lock out time the lair would be overpopulated with players all of a sudden spear headed by pvp elitists. If the wings were upgraded to cause a massive reduction in fall damage per say %50 a slot max and top it off with the distance of knocks being reduced that alone would lure me to the lair. C:

I would spend many nights in there.

This is an extraordinary topic.
    Very belated response but I have gotten hold of two Swift Wings R9 on Live now, so I'll summarize my experience with them below.

Using two R9 Swift Wings together with Jet Pack the out-of-combat speed is:
    a) sufficient to allow my character to fly faster than you can run with rank 3 superspeed. I tested this by racing a person using electric speed. No test was performed with just one Swift Wings R9 so it's not clear whether that would be sufficient to match superspeed.
    b) sufficient to fly faster than a Martinez VTOL vehicle, speed rating 4. Tested with the help of a SG friend.
    c) NOT able to match a Venom vehicle, speed rating 7. Tested with the help of a SG friend.
    Our best guess was that I was flying roughly as fast as a Vehicle with speed rating 5. I haven't done any tests with normal flight.

Energy usage while flying does not appear to work as advertised. The 6.2% reduction of the -12% energy discount when flight is active currently acts like a generic cost discount. In other words, two R9 does not fully eliminate the cost penalty from flying unless you have absolutely no other source of cost discount. I've posted a report in the bug section, since the behaviour does not match the description.

The flight charge speed boost appears to do nothing for shortening the time it takes for Jet Pack/Boots to power up. While not unexpected, as this is not a standard charge, it was nonetheless a disappointment. I am not certain whether it is working as intended or not. Heading over to test and picking up Flight R3 instead, it did shorten the charge significantly and seems in line with the given numbers (it's almost but not quite halved). Note that this is a subjective judgement though, as the charge is too short to use a stopwatch effectively.

I've had trouble testing the combat mobility. Entering combat with a weak mob with no snares or similar I flew circles around it while switching in and out the primary Utility with the mods. I could NOT notice any difference in flying speed while doing this. I'll keep testing this a bit more. I am not sure if I just can't spot the difference, if it's not working correctly, or if I can't test it this way.

Finally, as for how it feels... well, the extra speed does feel very nice and as I am not interested in vehicles I would likely not get it another way. I now have the mods slotted in an extra Distinguished Helmet of Speed, which I use in a travel build slot. For casual play I will likely use them quite a bit, and for more demanding content I can easily switch them out for a piece with the Utility damage mod. I do tend to be airborne during combat so the energy discount (wonky as it appears to be) does help.
    The main drawback is that getting hold of two R9 Swift Wings on Live is somewhat expensive. I used two Harmon Catalysts to get them, as I did not have the patience for farming up enough of them to use upgrade catalysts instead.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Oh man, unless you have that on a secondary piece of gear, you're gimping your dmg big time by not having an r9 dps core to match your build. And even then. >.< Wasting two harmons on that trash is pretty awful. Why not just get a cheapo jet or something to zip across zones if you're so desperate for speed?
    [NbK]XStorm
    In short, because there was not much else that I thought I'd have as much fun fooling around with.

99% of my playtime is on one character which I've played since release, and her theme doesn't include a vehicle.

As for damage, I have multiple gear sets on her for different roles already. Including a full Justice set with a DUC and R9 Ripper. If I need damage, it's just a button click away.
    I like the idea of clicking a build button to move fast more than I like the idea of clicking a build button and then activating a vehicle. Seems more convenient.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Would have been nice if these worked on the teleportation powers... making that set even faster would be awesome and I'd gladly look into farming for the bloody things.
    edited March 2020
    Oh yeah, this mod is still underwelming and nobody farms Destroyer's factory...
    Quality time and resources for lair revamp well spent

I was actually looking forward for similar mechanic as this mod since one of my main characters needs to constantly flying!
    and I got my wish granded on a monkey paw apparently
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Oh man, unless you have that on a secondary piece of gear, you're gimping your dmg big time by not having an r9 dps core to match your build. And even then. >.< Wasting two harmons on that trash is pretty awful. Why not just get a cheapo jet or something to zip across zones if you're so desperate for speed?

Yes lemme pull out my massive mark 2 vehicle with full speed mods IN A FREAKING ALERT/INSTANCE/LAIR where it becomes a Bricked Device tray​​