test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2020 roadmap?

So can we get something from the devs about what 2020 is going to look like for the game? Are we going to see anything new?

Comments

• Well, the most newest thing we will see is Serene Abyss (Death Rattle 2).
  • You're fairly new here so I'll say it - this is not like most games. We do have a new series of missions coming out in a few weeks but largely most of the plans are kept secret. You'll see probably around 5 new costume sets this year, with lockboxes to unlock every part piece meal instead of the whole thing at once. We'll have a round of Foxbat Con and probably Circus Malvanum and who knows, Nighthawk and Nightmare Invasion before July when we have the anniversary/4th of July event. Then it's a nice cruise to Bloodmoon in October. Finally, the Christmas event come back. We might get a few new costume pieces from the events too.

There, you now know the road map. It's the same every year except for the death rattle stuff.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    The devs either choose not to give the players that kind of information or are not allowed to do so by their bosses. It's a pity really. Players would probably be more forgiving if they felt like they were more in the loop, but the lack of information thing is a tradition here.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • ajgurewitzajgurewitz Posts: 11 Arc User
    Actually I am not new at all, I have been playing this game almost since the start. Just kind of expecting the same kind of service as Star Trek Online, but I guess that is not the case.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    In the past when Devs have given the community road maps for future content, circumstances have meant that they are not able to deliver and this has caused intense backlash from the community.

This has, unfortunately, made them (understandably) reticent to give away too much info when it comes to future plans for CO.

From what we can see on the PTS, Serene Abyss (as mentioned above), is what we can look forward to, as well as power amendments/nerfs/buffs/fixes.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    As far as I remember there was only one instance in the past where Champs had a roadmap. Of course said instance 80% of the planned stuff ended up not happening (still waiting on Destroyer Island, Moon map, Vladic's time travel halloween event).

However I think a sketch of a roadmap might be useful for the game over the headless chicken development that's been ongoing for the past 3 years.​​
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    Frankly, I think any communication would be better than what we get these days :P
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I don't care so much for communication since it's clearly not in Cryptic's interest, so not gonna try to force it.
    Just want there to be a hint of a short term plan so at least we can know what to expect and what not.

These past 3 years:
    - Work started on revamping Power Trees, then it suddenly halted, then it resumed but only minor changes
    - Work started on creating endgame content, then it stopped, then endgame content started to be removed
    - Work started on creating new events, then it stopped, then they made more and more changes to force you to redo the same content
    - Work started to revamp OMs, they revamped 3, then stopped period
    - Work started to revamp lairs, they did 2, then stopped
    - A new custom alert around the Nemesis system was created, some minor adjustments were made after the first cycle, then it was abandoned

It feels as if focus can't be mantained on one aspect before they get bored and move to something else​​
    lezard21 wrote: »
    It feels as if focus can't be mantained on one aspect before they get bored and move to something else​​

This last part is why I worry they may never finish the Death Rattle > Serene Abyss > ? material.

I sometimes wonder how the current dev team feels about giving up on the biggest thing they added to the game, the QWZ. They broke Eido and either don't know how to fix it or have not been given the go ahead from the overlords to spend more time on it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    It feels as if focus can't be mantained on one aspect before they get bored and move to something else
    Champions Online in the Nutshell
    Oh cool new Feature-Content, how long until it gets abandomed like the rest?
    - A new custom alert around the Nemesis system was created, some minor adjustments were made after the first cycle, then it was abandoned
    and the Nemesis Vendor got abandomed again, despite mentioned that it will be updated with more new items
    - Work started on revamping Power Trees, then it suddenly halted, then it resumed but only minor changes
    THIS HURTS ME THE MOST!
    We went from 4-5 powerframe revamps per year to 2...

I would gladly sacrifice rehashed same events for more powerframe revamps
    Get over with this already, it will take 5 more years to reamp the remaining powerframes at this point​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    These past 3 years:
    - Work started on creating endgame content, then it stopped, then endgame content started to be removed
    - Work started on creating new events, then it stopped, then they made more and more changes to force you to redo the same content
    - Work started to revamp OMs, they revamped 3, then stopped period
    - Work started to revamp lairs, they did 2, then stopped
    - A new custom alert around the Nemesis system was created, some minor adjustments were made after the first cycle, then it was abandoned​​

Did they abandon these things, or are they just not putting them out fast enough for your liking? Do you have a good reason for why they should have spent longer on any of these individual projects? Haven't we learned by now that if they did dwell on any given thing longer, the people who want the other things would accuse them of "pandering only to that crowd"? They're doing their best to keep up with the catch 22 that is a wounded fanbase - everything they do is either the holy grail or the executioner's axe depending on where you're looking from.
    Well, without communication it then becomes impossible to know if something is truly abandoned or just taking a long time. E.g. vehicles seem to be abandoned, in the sense that we aren't getting new ones. Similarly, nothing has been added to OSV in years. So, are they abandoned, or just in long term development? No way for us to know, right?
    JwLmWoa.png
    I sure hope OSV is abandoned u3u

But yes, no way for us to know, so no reason to label them as such.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I don't mind the focus of featured content changing. That's not very surprising in development in general.

What DOES concern me are the dwindling power changes and lack of revamps. Powers are the core of the gameplay and when that gets pushed to the backburner the whole game suffers.

There are powers that would be fun to use, but are usually so unbalanced that they never see any action. As much as you may want to make an archery character for example, it's far more fun to play a character with an updated powerset like bestial, TK, etc. Powers are probably the biggest thing to influence how people play the game, and neglecting those powers can affect the whole game.

If nothing else, I hope to see power revamps and changes pick back up again, for everyone's sake.
    panthrax77 wrote: »
    What DOES concern me are the dwindling power changes and lack of revamps. Powers are the core of the gameplay and when that gets pushed to the backburner the whole game suffers.

Well you don't need to worry about that, they haven't been pushed to the backburner. I had a thread where I looked up all the dates of the updates and discovered that while updates did slow down initially, since then the rate of updates has remained steady. This continues to hold true, so power updates continue to be on the frontburner... or you know whatever the opposite of that saying is.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    ajgurewitz wrote: »
    Actually I am not new at all, I have been playing this game almost since the start. Just kind of expecting the same kind of service as Star Trek Online, but I guess that is not the case.

Get CO players to spend as much on stuff here as STO players spend on spaceships and uniforms, and we could probably get that kind of service. (I mean, seriously - the 10-pack of hero ships being released in conjunction with the 10th anniversary is $195 US - on sale. Regular price will be $300!)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I feel like that's kind of a Catch-22 situation: We don't spend enough to get more stuff made, but there isn't more stuff for us to spend on. :/
    They also stopped giving out the rewards for those who bought lifetime subscriptions.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    They also stopped giving out the rewards for those who bought lifetime subscriptions.

Which rewards are you referring to exactly?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    bulgarex wrote: »
    I feel like that's kind of a Catch-22 situation: We don't spend enough to get more stuff made, but there isn't more stuff for us to spend on. :/

Wow, you have everything in the game that can be bought? You should start pushing for them to let you buy stuff for other people... me specifically!

There used to be monthly rewards but I think they stopped in 2018? There is a vendor in the Renaissance center that has the items.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    The devs either choose not to give the players that kind of information or are not allowed to do so by their bosses. It's a pity really. Players would probably be more forgiving if they felt like they were more in the loop, but the lack of information thing is a tradition here.
    Enh, I heard the reason is because of players treating it as a promise that X will happen. Thus the devs aren't gonna announce things that they aren't 100% certain will happen. So Kais can't really tell us more than the boringly obvious stuff unless it's something that is almost ready to go live.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

There used to be monthly rewards but I think they stopped in 2018? There is a vendor in the Renaissance center that has the items.

That's true. They did add an extra little incentive to getting a sub. It's a shame they have been discontinued.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    So, what is she focused on right now? I'd be happy to have a 3-month plan out there.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    I would love to see Archery get a revamp, and I don't think it would be that hard. There's some cool powers already, maybe adding a few more and adjusting the overall DPS would do the trick arrow :)
    At least, it looks easier to fix than Earth :p
    That's true. They did add an extra little incentive to getting a sub. It's a shame they have been discontinued.

*Avianos would like to know your location*
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I assume they like to say they have a "scheduled roadmap" but in reality they probably just cram their ideas like days(or less) before the next patch.

Because nothing else motivates harder than deadlines.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    spinnytop wrote: »

?

zrdRBy8.png

?

ba ba ba bird bird bird, bird is the word!
  • ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    Honestly, I'm just happy the game is still going at this point. It's one of the best superhero games available even if it is 10+ years old. I've been playing on and off since 2011 and I've yet to find another game that allows for the amount of creation that CO does other than CoH (which I never could get into)

I do wish that there was more content released though mainly things that added more story content or even player created content like STO and Neverwinter's Foundry.
    Foundry will never exist in CO. Too much work to set up and maintain.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Foundry is a completely unobtainable feature at this point, there is no turning back

Unless we get more DEV members who have the Iron Will to go throught the entire code of a 10 year old game, reverse engineering and organize everything!​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Tacofangs said that it'd take months just to build a database of assets to use.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    rhdH4pN.jpg
    GOOD! at least it's a bigger pile of spaghetti than last year. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters