test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please make event NPCs insta-kill OV players.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited January 2020 in Suggestions Box
Ever since word got out that soloing the event dailies with OVs is ezmode it's becoming more common, and it's annoying because you can't exactly jump in there and participate. Just make event NPCs insta kill OVs, or deactivate OV quests during events.

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    That’s stupid.

It’s been known for years now and they are about the only useful thing OV can do.

OV’s do not hinder your daily runs. Just wait or go somewhere else.

Glad to solve your problem.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    This suggestion is, in my opinion, problematic.

Some NPC's I've encountered as an OV during the event, will attack when I'm on my way to UNTIL Defenders.

I don't need the already irritatingly slow way of farming VT with an OV to be slowed even further.

People put out daily calls for teams for portals etc, just join a team and fly around MC finding hot spots.

Additionally, ruling out / deactivating certain content during events assumes that everyone wants to be participating in an event when it is on, which is not always the case.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    People put out daily calls for teams for portals etc, just join a team and fly around MC finding hot spots.

Wow, what an amazing solution, this totally solves the- oh wait, I was actually in a team of 5 people and an OV kept jumping into the pulls before we could. Your suggestion literally does nothing.
    OV’s do not hinder your daily runs. Just wait or go somewhere else.

Except they literally did. You may feel otherwise, but that's what the facts are. Why should I have to "wait or go somewhere else"? Why shouldn't they have to wait a week to do their OVs instead? I'm doing activities for the current event, they're not.
    edited January 2020
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Wow, what an amazing solution, this totally solves the- oh wait, I was actually in a team of 5 people and an OV kept jumping into the pulls before we could. Your suggestion literally does nothing.

Okay, so why didn't the five of you move from Downtown (or whereever you were) to another location? OV movement is pretty crap so unless you guys were farming the same area over and over, you could have avoided the issue.

My suggestion, if implemented will do plenty, you just need to find further hot spots away from the OV in question, that's all.
    Except they literally did. You may feel otherwise, but that's what the facts are. Why should I have to "wait or go somewhere else"? Why shouldn't they have to wait a week to do their OVs instead? I'm doing activities for the current event, they're not.

Based on what you said above, the player using the OV is likely farming the event in an alternative way to you.

It's just in a manner which means you have to adapt to by going elsewhere or waiting.

Your facts are valid, because you experienced them but it doesn't take away from the fact that you could have avoided the general area (they may have been farming portals between UNTIL Def points) and done the mission.

Remember, OV's are time limited, players aren't as time limited.

I could understand better if it was a bigger deal but it really isn't. If you see OV activity in Downtown...move to City Centre and go about your business.

Did you try PM'ing the player?
    Okay, so why didn't the five of you move from Downtown (or whereever you were) to another location?

We shouldn't have to. Why don't you just go fight a different event boss when an OV dives into the one you're fighting? Oh right, because that's griefing and the devs put measures in place to prevent it. This is no different.
    edited January 2020
    We shouldn't have to. Why don't you just go fight a different event boss when an OV dives into the one you're fighting? Oh right, because that's griefing and the devs put measures in place to prevent it. This is no different.

As quoted above, you said earlier that the OV was jumping the mobs BEFORE you were able to get to them as a team. Not sure that's griefing?

I think if you were already fighting and an OV jumped into the mix, then I could see the problem.

Again, doesn't detract from the fact that you could find another portal.

On a typical OV route (From UNTIL HQ to ARGENT to the Qularr Mothership) there's maybe two or three portals en route. I did some today whilst waiting for UNTIL Defenders to spawn at given locations, no players were around.

I could see other portals throughout Downtown which players could have gotten to if the three which I picked were problematic.

Based on what you've said Spinny, I think this is just a case of the OV player being an opportunist rather than intentionally griefing, since you said it was before you got to the groups, not during.

Just as you say you've got the right to farm in a location...so does an OV using player, as long as it isn't attacking whilst other players are in combat with portal groups.
    > @spinnytop said:

> Except they literally did. You may feel otherwise, but that's what the facts are. Why should I have to "wait or go somewhere else"? Why shouldn't they have to wait a week to do their OVs instead? I'm doing activities for the current event, they're not.

——————————————————-

They are doing their event dailies too...first come first serve, once again problem solved.

Multiple instances, several dozen other spawn points. Have fun!
    > @spinnytop said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > We shouldn't have to. Why don't you just go fight a different event boss when an OV dives into the one you're fighting? Oh right, because that's griefing and the devs put measures in place to prevent it. This is no different.

——————————————
    Griefing?!

Lol oh lord that is hilarious.
    They are doing their event dailies too...first come first serve, once again problem solved.

Multiple instances, several dozen other spawn points. Have fun!

Difference is, if it's just another player doing dailies I can join in. If it's an OV I can't. That's the issue here, which I guess you don't get.

Griefing?!

Lol oh lord that is hilarious.

Yes, it's griefing, that's been made clear multiple times over the years. For some reason some people just refuse to accept plain fact.
    edited January 2020
    Just as you say you've got the right to farm in a location...so does an OV using player, as long as it isn't attacking whilst other players are in combat with portal groups.

So, you think "OVs forcing other people to move" is a good thing?
    > @spinnytop said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Difference is, if it's just another player doing dailies I can join in. If it's an OV I can't. That's the issue here, which I guess you don't get.
    >
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yes, it's griefing, that's been made clear multiple times over the years. For some reason some people just refuse to accept plain fact.
    ———————————————————
    ———————————————————

Sorry you can’t join, maybe they don’t want you to.

And they aren’t attacking you, they are doing their own daily. What part of this is griefing you? That you have to wait?

You’ll get over it. Or maybe you won’t...either way wait your turn or move. Or be better and kill your target and not hit the OV. I’ll be using mine to farm, and unless you are a worm or some demon thing I could careless about collecting player kills.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I've never encountered an OV getting in the way of doing these dailies. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I have never seen it. But, I usually look for the emptiest zone and start there. Bigger problem are the knotheads who don't take out the worm siphons and the relatively slow respawn time for mobs. Personally, if I saw an OV going after event dailies I'd just hope to another zone.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited January 2020
    Sorry you can’t join, maybe they don’t want you to.

And they aren’t attacking you, they are doing their own daily. What part of this is griefing you? That you have to wait?

You’ll get over it. Or maybe you won’t...either way wait your turn or move. Or be better and kill your target and not hit the OV. I’ll be using mine to farm, and unless you are a worm or some demon thing I could careless about collecting player kills.

I'm guessing you were the one person in that thread claiming OVs diving into event bosses wasn't griefing, and getting dogpiled by people showing you that the TOS explicitly states that behavior that disrupts other people's ability to run content in the intended fashion is against the rules.
    “Dogpiled” ?

My, it must be crazy to live in that head of yours, seeing how it was only you. But whatever makes you seem sane.

But good thing you were able to run the content, whew! Disaster averted! That was a close one.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I mean at this rate we might as well just remove OV, what does it actually contribute to the game? You can't open-world PvP with it because it effectively blends the line entirely between 'PvP' and griefing. The aim's not to actually attempt to fight off heroes, because no players are actually going to organize to do that intentionally: you can't buy anything worthwhile with hero tokens. Instead OVs just stalk a hero until they accidentally get hit with an AoE and then they flatten the hero for a token. Every update since their release has felt like a containment procedure to curb what damage the OV can do to the community and other open-world events.

They've also been nerfing the reward rate for OVs with slower NPC spawns to basically force people to either travel more or actually attempt 'PvP'. Wait that's precisely what's lead to this issue being discussed here, if an OV was able to farm and camp a single UNTIL defender spawnpoint like before, they wouldn't have to travel through potentially one-shotting event mobs, but the developer team's made it clear that farming a single UNTIL guard post is not the intended way to play OV at all and instead it's to travel across Millennium City and 'wreak havoc' (?) as a villain. Except, don't wreak havoc because then you can get reported for griefing or break our fragile open-world content, and just to make sure that doesn't happen we will add attacks to mobs specifically made to counter you - now not just for OM bosses but for Event mobs too! Watch as other players don't participate in OV in the intended way at all, but instead be courteous (usually) and once they're done park themselves in RenCen so that they can give free hero tokens to anyone that wants to slap them until they die. Really the decision for players, who are normally heroes ingame, to not let their OV run go to waste to willingly let others get tokens from them would be kind of poetic - if it wasn't for the fact everything else about OV's implementation was such a raging trash fire.

Anyways, expect to see it added in the near future I guess. Cryptic tends to look well upon people who unequivocally like everything about the game and listen to those ideas, probably because they think they're the only people they can even please with the minimal amount of effort they'll put into their product.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited January 2020
    bluhman wrote: »
    I mean at this rate we might as well just remove OV

Agree 100%, solve all the problems in one big go.
    Cryptic tends to look well upon people who unequivocally like everything about the game

Man, it sure would be weird if this was directed at me in a thread where I was complaining about something in the game I don't like =)
    edited January 2020

So, you think "OVs forcing other people to move" is a good thing?

I think it is unfortunate that all you appear to have taken from what I posted, is a fabricated assumption but I guess since you're obviously quite annoyed by this singular incident, I can't really expect much else at this point and that's fine.

(Maybe I'm not paying attention but I don't recall the last time you posted something like this?)

From the posts I've made here, I think you know that I've not stated anything like what you're suggesting in the quote above.

What I have said is that whilst I understand where you are coming from, your suggestion seems extreme and problematic.

I have also mentioned that based on what you've communicated here, this appears to be a player taking advantage of the OV state, not directly griefing you.

If they followed you to different portals around the 'vast' map of MC...then yes, I could see a problem but that doesn't appear to be the case based on what you've said.

Hopefully you don't run into me as an OV if I happen to come across a portal and I'm farming for the Lance piece, because unless you are actively in combat with that group, I'll take them on.
    I mean at this rate we might as well just remove OV, what does it actually contribute to the game? You can't open-world PvP with it because it effectively blends the line entirely between 'PvP' and griefing. The aim's not to actually attempt to fight off heroes, because no players are actually going to organize to do that intentionally: you can't buy anything worthwhile with hero tokens. Instead OVs just stalk a hero until they accidentally get hit with an AoE and then they flatten the hero for a token. Every update since their release has felt like a containment procedure to curb what damage the OV can do to the community and other open-world events.

They've also been nerfing the reward rate for OVs with slower NPC spawns to basically force people to either travel more or actually attempt 'PvP'. Wait that's precisely what's lead to this issue being discussed here, if an OV was able to farm and camp a single UNTIL defender spawnpoint like before, they wouldn't have to travel through potentially one-shotting event mobs, but the developer team's made it clear that farming a single UNTIL guard post is not the intended way to play OV at all and instead it's to travel across Millennium City and 'wreak havoc' (?) as a villain. Except, don't wreak havoc because then you can get reported for griefing or break our fragile open-world content, and just to make sure that doesn't happen we will add attacks to mobs specifically made to counter you - now not just for OM bosses but for Event mobs too! Watch as other players don't participate in OV in the intended way at all, but instead be courteous (usually) and once they're done park themselves in RenCen so that they can give free hero tokens to anyone that wants to slap them until they die. Really the decision for players, who are normally heroes ingame, to not let their OV run go to waste to willingly let others get tokens from them would be kind of poetic - if it wasn't for the fact everything else about OV's implementation was such a raging trash fire.

Anyways, expect to see it added in the near future I guess. Cryptic tends to look well upon people who unequivocally like everything about the game and listen to those ideas, probably because they think they're the only people they can even please with the minimal amount of effort they'll put into their product.

I do agree Onslaught could have been implemented SO much better but that's not what I'm going to discuss here, they didn't take into consideration suggestions about making UNTIL Def points more appealing to players and OVs likely due to time constraints or something else.

I have noticed that it has become harder to get tokens. During the first week and a half of OV I managed to get 15,005 Villain Tokens as Medusa, was brilliant.

But now, in the same amount of time, I've only made 7362 Villain Tokens.

I've recently been OVing again (I want Gravitic Ripple) and found some players surprisingly up for OV fights in Ren Cen vs Gravitar. When I get out Medusa, some people still remember so just disappear or some do stick around and fight, which is refreshing.

Post edited by theravenforce on
    edited January 2020
    I think it is unfortunate that all you appear to have taken from what I posted, is a fabricated assumption but I guess since you're obviously quite annoyed by this singular incident, I can't really expect much else at this point and that's fine.

It was a question, not a statement.
    From the posts I've made here, I think you know that I've not stated anything like what you're suggesting in the quote above.

What I have said is that whilst I understand where you are coming from

So then you agree that it's bad. That's all I needed.
    😂
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    edited January 2020

FLASH! Spinny is content and no longer needs to post on the forums. Hit the OFF switch as all reason for Endgame (the Forums, you nub!) has vanished.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »

FLASH! Spinny is content and no longer needs to post on the forums. Hit the OFF switch as all reason for Endgame (the Forums, you nub!) has vanished.​​

Thanks for playing everyone! o/
    edited January 2020

A question rooted in a fabricated assumption, but a question none-the-less which I answered and you have...chopped the bits you don't like and have taken my answer out of context. If you are going to have discussions, at least be prepared to consider everything given, not just the bits you like.

I agree that if an OV player whom you communicated with, was still deliberately countering your efforts to farm in peace (i.e. moving around or moving to another zone), that this would be unacceptable.

As you have not presented anything to say that this directly happened, I can only assume you have become irritated by an OV player farming event portals in a different way to you.

A question rooted in a fabricated assumption, but a question none-the-less which I answered and you have...chopped the bits you don't like and have taken my answer out of context. If you are going to have discussions, at least be prepared to consider everything given, not just the bits you like.

I agree that if an OV player whom you communicated with, was still deliberately countering your efforts to farm in peace (i.e. moving around or moving to another zone), that this would be unacceptable.

As you have not presented anything to say that this directly happened, I can only assume you have become irritated by an OV player farming event portals in a different way to you.

I mean, I finished farming for the one thing I wanted the day or day after I posted this so you don't really need to worry about me. If the devs do something they do it, if not they don't. This discussion isn't going to change that, ya know? You can relax raven o3o drink some tea
    Well I am glad you finished farming!
    You can relax raven o3o drink some tea

I am, in fact, sitting down with a large cup of peppermint tea with a drop of honey. :)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I am sitting down with a Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA and getting ready to try to farm the last few colossoi I need.

I finally did see someone using an OV to farm the other day. I just hopped to another low population zone. Problem solved.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    I am, in fact, sitting down with a large cup of peppermint tea with a drop of honey. :)

MaRM3ml.png