test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Armor "BEAM" /DPS

koutaguelekoutaguele Posts: 81 Arc User
I have a extra slot gathering dust so I thinking of making a power armor hero I know that there is a couple of build in the forum but all are the guns and missiles type.
So can someone can help me to make a beam/laser focus power armor build.

That's all and thanks in advance.

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    FWIW, here's mine. I still find having the 2 ADs advantageous based on the situation, but feel free to sub whatever else you might like.

Iron Pharaoh 6 - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.42:34

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Eye Beam (Rank 2, 20/20 Fission)
    Level 8: Chest Laser (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Overdrive
    Level 14: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Chilled Form
    Level 20: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
    Level 35: Energy Wave
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Power Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Mach Speed

Specializations
    Ego: Mental Endurance (2/3)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Yea, Jaaz's build is a pretty good start. I may still get Rev Polarity on EWave, though, since it's nice to clump up mobs for Beam-PA's tighter AoE options. Could also consider Plasma Beam if you don't mind the manual aiming. I may consider still getting Power Conversion for easier energy (and then maybe not have to go as all-in on energy SS's), but energy management will also come down to gear and any ally buffs you may get. Could consider dropping he 3-pt block adv if you want some free adv points too (and/or w/ dropping R3 MD, ofc).

anyways- Happy Holidays, guys! Be safe out there.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
    Too many heals not much dps . U can revamp this for u and u can add dex to stats
  • corunncorunn Posts: 81 Arc User
    Can you post your version for comparison?
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Imo, you always hurt your dps by taking Phalanx Defense on the block. Better to go r3. However, if you are doing QWZ content, leave it alone.

Recon circuits is a wonderful Block Toggle disabler. For instance, I had to click my Block toggle key, now I can type something, etc. To go back to dpsing, I hit my Recon circuits then my 3 attack powers. Once I get Chest laser going, Recon circuits is toggled off. No need to hit some other key. AND, if I really needed a bit of extra heals, I'd leave the Recon going and just hit Eyebeams and Conc beams.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    warcanch wrote: »
    Imo, you always hurt your dps by taking Phalanx Defense on the block. Better to go r3.
    It's not supposed to (only laser knight lists a damage decrease) though it could certainly be bugged.
    warcanch wrote: »
    Recon circuits is a wonderful Block Toggle disabler.​​
    Due it being bugged, and the way they prevent other toggles from working while blocking being stupid.
    Just checked on PTS about Phalanx Defense. I used a char with all 5s in stats, used Concussor beam r3, Energy shield r1 without then with Phalanx Defense. And used Circle of Arcane Energy so I wouldn't use an EB.

Yeah, no reduction in dmg from Conc beam as I would have expected. There was a dmg variation range, but it was consistent with and without Phalanx Defense.

I could've sworn, long ago, that the dmg reduction was part of it. However, if you look at the Enhancements portion of Phalanx Defense and Laser Knight, the text is missing from PD. So, now the question is, are you actually getting any personal damage mitigation from PD?

I hate that about PA powers and using a Block toggle keybind then being unable to immediately activate a PA toggle without doing something else to untoggle my block.
    Similar issue with any AO or AD clicked puts PA toggles on a ~1 sec CD. That's aggravating.​​

edited January 2020
    Yea, last I checked, the Phalanx adv didn't have a dmg penalty associated w/ it, but then again its bonus isn't nearly as large as Laser Knight's bonuses are for melee, so it prob shouldn't have a penalty for being 3pts. The dmgRes bonus for Phalanx does still work, and quick testing on the PH lasers w/ Recon Circuits (for the proc) can show that.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    Phalanx defense is 10% in the block layer. Laser Knight is 33%.
    Thanks, guys. Always good to have accurate information.​​

edited January 2020
    Warcranch sure when I get off work I'll give u my exact build . I also use nuclear shockwave. Mainly for mobs but great for coming out of block so 've it does particle energy debuff. So I can go chest laser, hand cannon and shoulder launcher immediately and not have to mini gun or laser eyes. But keep in my it's a 10k VT OV power u have to unlock
    No need, Yann.

Most of my PA users are like this: (keybind) [power] ....
    (1) [heal], usually Recon Circuits
    (2) [hand slot]
    (3) [chest slot]
    (4) [shoulder slot]

So, when I have Block toggled ON, all i have to do is go: 1, 2, 3, 4. When I get to 3, Recon Circuits turns off.

And I prefer some power in that #1 spot that doesn't have a cooldown.​​

edited January 2020
    Ya its like that mine is just...lets say a diff approach.
  • zee#0965 zee Posts: 4 Arc User
    Greetings friends. I am basically brand new to the game and a PA Beam DPS is exactly the theme I wanted to go for. I am just like level 15, but I have been following the build posted by jaazaniah1. Have patches and whatnot changed what this build should be since this post went up? Does anyone have advice on how I should customize this?

Thanks in advance!
    edited February 2022
    zee#0965 wrote: »
    Greetings friends. I am basically brand new to the game and a PA Beam DPS is exactly the theme I wanted to go for. I am just like level 15, but I have been following the build posted by jaazaniah1. Have patches and whatnot changed what this build should be since this post went up? Does anyone have advice on how I should customize this?

Thanks in advance!
    PA didn't receive any major changes since the time that build was posted, afaik. So his build should still work. Slotted PA can get very energy-intensive, though (esp at lower levels), so you may want to consider something like Force Shield w/ its Force Sheath adv (instead of Energy Shield; then you can tap Force's block for a linger effect that gives you energy when hit) or Laser Sword's Power Conversion (which you'll have to squeeze in-between toggle usage) to help w/ energy- at least while leveling. He also took two ADs in that build (R3 MD for mitigation, and Resurgence for the big heal/regen), when you may be fine w/ just getting Resurgence, of the two (all ADs share a cd now). As before, I'd also consider getting Reverse Polarity on Energy Wave, if you want a means to group up mobs for the other AoEs.
    Thank you for your feedback, I will take your advice on those changes.

I do have a question about Chilled Form, it's not really part of the theme and it looks like PA has an ability called Concentration that seems to do the same thing. Am I missing something?
    edited February 2022
    The Forms Concentration and Chilled can both work with Ego. Chilled also works with Dex while Concentration also works with Int. There is nothing obviously different about them visually once you have them toggled on. Pick whichever you prefer, just be sure you have Ego.

The above build has evolved a bit since 2019. Heres the current version.

Iron Pharaoh 7 - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.44:37

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Eye Beam (Rank 2, 20/20 Fission)
    Level 8: Chest Laser (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Overdrive
    Level 14: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Concentration
    Level 20: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Sonic Device (Rank 2, Deafening Dissolution)
    Level 29: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Blinding Light
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Power Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Mach Speed

Specializations
    Ego: Mental Endurance (2/3)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Hi jaazaniah1! I am trying to better understand what makes a build strong. Would you mind briefly explaining why you made the changes you did from your original build you posted?

Regardless, thank you for the guidance on the build! I am really enjoying the lasers :)
    I took out Energy Wave because I didn't use it all that much; most things are dead before they get to me. Same with MD. Imbue gives it's highest bonus when your HPs are low, and I haven't found myself in that position so much.

I added Orbital Cannon as a opening strike. Another PA build uses Implosion Engine for much the same purpose (and also just tosses it in after having to block, if it is off CD, and before retoggeling all the beams. IE is nice because it clumps targets together). Sonic device is for a little extra damamge and the Stun. E.g. if I am soloing something I'd put it on OC to stun a group, then beam them down. I added a threat wipe because I was doing a fair amount of damage and sometime would steal aggro from a tank.

Hope that helps.
    JwLmWoa.png
    That's very helpful! One last question: You also switched out some traits, what was the thought there?
    By traits do you mean Talents? The change there was for a bit more Con for a few more HPs. Could have stayed with Dex, but the loss in crit chance was tiny.

I should note that I took End and Rec because I did't want to have to depend on there being an AoPM in end game content to help with energy management. This build can run 3 toggles all day.
    JwLmWoa.png
    I would note that, in team content, orbital cannon is functionally useless (unless your teammates deliberately hang back, by the time it hits the target is unlikely to be there any more), and stopping your toggles to apply sonic device (after start of combat) costs you more damage than it does.
    I use Orbital Strike as an opening move when I solo. It's fun to start it up, then toggle on 3 beams. I don't use it at cosmics and the like. I don;t stop toggles to apply Sonic Device. If I have to block and it's off CD I will use it. Also, I use it when I am soloing things and want something with a stun.
    JwLmWoa.png