test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Magic: Legends

qawsadaqawsada Posts: 714 Arc User

From 0 to whatever, how excited are you for Cryptic's new game?
«13

Comments

  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    That looks so generic o3o If the title didn't say Magic I'd confuse it for 20 other hack n slash rpgs.
    Yeah, but how can you tell the difference between MTG and WoW as-is?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    That looks so generic o3o If the title didn't say Magic I'd confuse it for 20 other hack n slash rpgs.​​
    Not sure what you'd do to make Magic not look like a generic. Other than I guess 'everyone plays a wizard'.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,671 Arc User
    I almost thought it was a mobile game XD. If there are no playable beast races, Im out.
    mfZ37eB.png
    __________________________________________________________________
    Alts:
    Lord Sans (Full Healer FF)/Axel Leonard (Crowd Controller/Off-Tank)
    - - - - - -
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,447 Arc User
    I was super excited about the things I imagined it could be. Now that I see it's like a diablo clone basically my excitement is...moderate. I'll try it when it comes out assuming it's another F2P title.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Just looked over the website... not impressed. Not only doesn't it cover the various classes fully, meaning they likely don't know what they will be yet, they also are implementing some kind of random draw system for your 'spells'... great... now my level of ability to survive is going to depend on random... fracking wonderful.

    In case that wasn't clear enough. Nope not interested! Hard Pass!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    mordray001 wrote: »
    Just looked over the website... not impressed. Not only doesn't it cover the various classes fully, meaning they likely don't know what they will be yet
    "Mind Mage" is blue, "Geomancer" is red; I assume the other classes are green, white, and black. They're both more specific than the MtG colors, so I would expect the same for the remainder.
    mordray001 wrote: »
    they also are implementing some kind of random draw system for your 'spells'... great... now my level of ability to survive is going to depend on random... fracking wonderful.
    It looks to be exactly MtG: you design your deck, get a hand of cards, and can only use the cards in your hand. I'm not sure whether that would be mega-annoying or neat, but it would definitely make game play different (and tells me how they're going to monetize the game; F2P will get a basic selection of cards to build a deck from, and you buy expansion packs to get additional cards, which can be traded to other players...).
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,408 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    watch 'em pull a GW2/COH on us like NCSoft did and kill this game because this generic title doesn't do as well as expected.

    e: kind of neat cryptic's attempting some not-MMOish stuff for once. That at least's adaptation to the changing games market a little bit and won't be another massive game they have to constantly update and control an intermingling playerbase over or worry about an angry fanboy DDOSing them thereby killing the games instantly.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))
    
  • avianosavianos Posts: 5,556 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    This is where CO's money went from Lootboxes and ridiculous Limited time offer Z-store prices? Sad :anguished:

    Gotta copy the obnoxious Raid: Shadow Legends name as well by including the name LEGENDS
    qawsada wrote: »
    From 0 to whatever, how excited are you for Cryptic's new game?

    -50 Looks Bad Jim! It looks like a cheap Mobile Game
    and I have no interest in other game than CO​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point
    An Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable but farms way to much to archieve that
    Playing as EVERYTHING but Superheroesm! Playing since 1 February 2011
    Currently playing with 86+ Characters (7 ATs, 79 FFs) Loving all of them, ALTitis for Life! Run out of unique FF builds!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    watch 'em pull a GW2/COH on us like NCSoft did and kill this game because this generic title doesn't do as well as expected.
    Depends a lot on how their license works. If they've already prepaid license fees through time (X), they're unlikely to kill it before (X).
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    mordray001 wrote: »
    Just looked over the website... not impressed. Not only doesn't it cover the various classes fully, meaning they likely don't know what they will be yet
    "Mind Mage" is blue, "Geomancer" is red; I assume the other classes are green, white, and black. They're both more specific than the MtG colors, so I would expect the same for the remainder.
    mordray001 wrote: »
    they also are implementing some kind of random draw system for your 'spells'... great... now my level of ability to survive is going to depend on random... fracking wonderful.
    It looks to be exactly MtG: you design your deck, get a hand of cards, and can only use the cards in your hand. I'm not sure whether that would be mega-annoying or neat, but it would definitely make game play different (and tells me how they're going to monetize the game; F2P will get a basic selection of cards to build a deck from, and you buy expansion packs to get additional cards, which can be traded to other players...).

    Yeah all the more reason to ignore this game. Not only for the card mechanics, but also for the damned built into the concept loot boxes...

    Huh... how are they going to get around the anti-loot box laws? technically a card pack is a loot box...
  • I almost thought it was a mobile game XD. If there are no playable beast races, Im out.

    if i recall from like...third or fourth-paw info about this game, the character you play in it is a planeswalker, so...are there bestial planeswalker cards in the actual game? (i know almost nothing about MTG)

    if there are...probably gonna be here too - if not at launch, then at some point down the road​​
    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    I like Diablo clones but this game just looks generic. From the visuals to the gameplay, it just looks like everything that’s already been done before. The trailer shows no innovation whatsoever, so if there’s some amazing thing that makes this game stand apart from the dozens that are already out there, this was the time to show it. But nope, nothing new here. It makes it look like they landed the IP first, then said “okay we got this great IP, now we need a game, quick. Diablo clone, go!” Kinda lame.
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    The cinematic on the web page does a better job of showing off the game world.

    0:03 is that the symbol of the Tolarian academy?
    0:15 looks like it might be Innistrad or Ravnica.
    0:21 which was the plane with the dino-riders?
    0:30 This is Zendikar. It even has a Hedron in the background!
    0:40 probably Shiv. Hmm... where's the dragon hiding? We have the goblins and trolls.
    lezard21 wrote: »
    I mean, if I were trailer guy I would pull out some recognisable faces. Sure Jace and Chandra are series' staples, but very easily interchangeable with other fire/water elementals from other franchises. Show Ajani, Garruk, Liliana, Nicol Bolas.

    Show them fighting a recognisable raid boss, like Emrakul, Progenitus or the Leviathan.

    It's a trailer! It's supposed to not pull any punches and show all the "Oooooooh"s and "Aaaaaaah"s to hook people in.​​
    LOL! You seem to not understand the point. You're not gonna PLAY as any of those. If you see Liliana or Elspeth, or.... well ANY named character from the CCG, they're going to be an NPC. Kinda like Defender or Dr. Silverback.. etc...

    Also Jace isn't a water elemental. Literally none of the cards associated with him even have water in the art. His specialty is giving his enemies amnesia.
    I like Diablo clones but this game just looks generic. From the visuals to the gameplay, it just looks like everything that’s already been done before. The trailer shows no innovation whatsoever, so if there’s some amazing thing that makes this game stand apart from the dozens that are already out there, this was the time to show it. But nope, nothing new here. It makes it look like they landed the IP first, then said “okay we got this great IP, now we need a game, quick. Diablo clone, go!” Kinda lame.
    Um...... this game is about as much like Diablo as it is like Shadow of Mordor... Unless you think that literally all fantasy action games are Diablo clones.... which would be weird since Diablo isn't even the first one.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    Based on the trailer it read as Diablo to me. Third person fixed perspective fantasy game where you run around using spells to kill hundreds of creatures. If the game is anything else, again, the trailer failed to convey any of that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    In terms of game play, while I don't know if it would wind up being good, card-based spellcasting (with a hand and a deck) is certainly not something you expect out of an MMO, though it's perfectly normal for something like Hearthstone.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    Is it even an mmo?
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    Is it even an mmo?
    Huh. I was just assuming from their other products, but yeah, all we know is that it supports up to 3 players.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    It might have an in-game lobby like gw1, but yeah not sure if it qualifies. Who knows
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    It makes it look like they landed the IP first, then said “okay we got this great IP, now we need a game, quick. Diablo clone, go!” Kinda lame.

    To me it looks the opposite actually. Like "ok, we got our Diablo clone finished, now let's find an IP to put on top of it".

    Like the scenery shown in the trailer is so generic and dull. Magic's scenery is mostly realistic, but it also has some really trippy and cool looking planes

    024.jpg
    EN_Kamigawa_Header.jpg
    1000_Mirrodin-Island.jpg
    cardart_BFZ_Skyline-Cascade.jpg​​
    Those are among the weirdest examples you could choose though... Counter examples:
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191389
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370785
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=197254 <wide open featureless plains with ordinary clouds on the horizon... of course the horizon goes DOWN, but this one is apparently Serra's realm.
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249721 <so pretty, but it's generic forest #786

    It's a bit premature to say whether the boring terrain choices will be the norm in this game or not.
    In terms of game play, while I don't know if it would wind up being good, card-based spellcasting (with a hand and a deck) is certainly not something you expect out of an MMO, though it's perfectly normal for something like Hearthstone.
    Well...
    Control the chaos in real-time combat. Strategically choose the spells in your spell library because they'll be drawn at random as you fight.
    Sounds like MtG deck building is used to fill your active power bar. The video in the OP showed people with 4 skill buttons as they ran around killing things. Best guess: the game replaces each skill you use from a random "deck" of skills as you use it. If it's like the card game this can be as boring as a deck of 40 different direct damage spells or something that uses arcane combos that you need an entire essay to explain.
    Discover a myriad of spells and collect spell fragments to make them more powerful.

    An ancient force moves in the darkness and it’s up to you to walk the planes and gather the power needed to fight. Choose your path through the planes, collect spells to create powerful spell hands, and control the chaos of battle as you fight to save the Multiverse from its greatest threat yet.
    This seems to suggest that in-game grinding, mission rewards, etc will be used to get better spells for your deck.
    Based on the trailer it read as Diablo to me. Third person fixed perspective fantasy game where you run around using spells to kill hundreds of creatures. If the game is anything else, again, the trailer failed to convey any of that.
    Is it a swords and sorcery action game? apparently so. That's a REALLY big genre though. It's like the difference between a bull's eye, and the side of a barn.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    edited January 2020
    > Is it a swords and sorcery action game? apparently so. That's a REALLY big genre though. It's like the difference between a bull's eye, and the side of a barn.

    It really sounds like you’ve got your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears if that’s your argument for this game not looking like Diablo. This was my first impression of it coming into it without any previous knowledge of the game before watching the trailer. After watching the trailer I thought “it’s like Diablo but a guy floats.” No amount of your argument can change my first impression. That’s why I think if the trailer was trying to convey anything new or exciting, it failed.

    Also it’s not just “a sword and sorcery action game” that made me think Diablo. When I first saw Skyrim I didn’t think Diablo. When I saw Neverwinter I didn’t think Diablo. When I saw Breath of the Wild I didn’t think Diablo. When I saw Torchlight, yep, Diablo. But it’s visually distinct from all the other generic fantasy stuff.

    It might turn out that this game is real innovative and nothing at all like Diablo other than the fantasy setting and the surface gameplay and the POV, but if that’s the case, the trailer failed to show any of that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    The video in the OP showed people with 4 skill buttons as they ran around killing things.
    It also looks like those skill buttons change (I saw a distinct flicker on certain options), though I was having trouble telling for certain.
    It really sounds like you’ve got your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears if that’s your argument for this game not looking like Diablo.
    There's approximately a zillion games where you run around killing a bunch of stuff, so this game being one of them is not per se a problem. However, the trailer did fail to show off anything innovative, so whether or not the game actually has something extra worth bothering with, the trailer is a bit of a fail.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > There's approximately a zillion games where you run around killing a bunch of stuff, so this game being one of them is not per se a problem. However, the trailer did fail to show off anything innovative, so whether or not the game actually has something extra worth bothering with, the trailer is a bit of a fail.

    Right, and I actually like those games. I’m a big fan of Diablo and the various clones. The letdown with this trailer for me is that it didn’t really show me much that Diablo doesn’t already do. I’ll play it if there’s something cool about it but the IP paint job alone isn’t enough to get me to play.
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > There's approximately a zillion games where you run around killing a bunch of stuff, so this game being one of them is not per se a problem. However, the trailer did fail to show off anything innovative, so whether or not the game actually has something extra worth bothering with, the trailer is a bit of a fail.

    Right, and I actually like those games. I’m a big fan of Diablo and the various clones. The letdown with this trailer for me is that it didn’t really show me much that Diablo doesn’t already do. I’ll play it if there’s something cool about it but the IP paint job alone isn’t enough to get me to play.
    So you thought of Diablo because that's what was most familiar to you? Honestly the environments look more like Neverwinter than Diablo to me. But that might be because I've never played a Diablo game newer than D2X.

    I have to agree that the trailer is boring though. It has a few bits with some nice environments to look at, but the actual combat parts were mowing down waves of monsters. I think part of the problem is how short it is. It skips around so fast you have to pause it every second or two to take in what's happening:

    0:03 Volcano(probably Shiv)
    0:05 I think this might be Tolaria and the magical academy at Tolaria?
    0:06 Some sort of desecrated shrine? That sun logo with 4 light rays is something I KNOW I've seen before but can't remember where.
    0:07 this feels like it was built by goblins or orcs...
    0:08 swamp with moss hanging from trees.
    0:12 Hmm rocky plain... fighting the Cabal. Sounds like it's Dominaria.
    0:14 swampy area, still fighting the Cabal thoguh.
    0:16 hhmmm this scene has an abjective that seems story based. Also the character in question seems to have both white(to include "Heavenly Assault", "Divine Wrath" and a ummon Griffin) and blue(Icicle, magnetic pulse, Psionic shatter, etc...) spells. And this is definitely a console UI.
    0:17 "Regroup with Lyra Dawnbringer" https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=442914 She's probably the angel you see in the left side of the screen at 0:13 Also Lyra is totally from Dominaria.
    0:19 this is the shrine we saw at 0:06. Apparently it's a shrine of Serra that was corrupted by the Cabal necromancers. And the boss is https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=442983 Not sure about the symbols though... Hmm... Might be markers for the objective "Stand in the light of Serra to cleanse the statue"
    0:26 "Find and protect Danitha Capaschen" https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=442900
    0:28 You can see at the bottom mana bars for white AND blue mana!
    0:32 this is the pyro/geomancer her mana bar is solid red. OOH! on her screen I can see symbols on spells to denote whether they're a creature summon(Emberlings, Earth Elemental) or direct damage ability(Slag Strike, Elemental Shatter)
    0:33 and now the players are apparently hunting https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=442999 The placename "Seven Sisters" seems to be new though.
    0:34 haha, now they have to find Suee https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=443034
    0:38 This is a GREEN character, seems to be a biomancer(Nourish)/beastmaster(Sporecap Spider)

    Most of the video is a Blue/white mage teamed with a red leaning pyro/geomancer (with a green character in a few scenes) doing a set of story quests fighting the black aligned Cabal. So it's actually a very small part of the game since it's apparently either a single mission or a set of related missions. The webite lists Benalia and Shiv(both are part of Dominaria) as areas that are in the game and most of the video was seemingly set in Benalia with a few parts in Shiv and one brief look at what might have been Tolaria.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    I thought of Diablo because it’s a fantasy game with fairly generic graphics in a locked isometric view where you run around killing hordes of monsters in various fantasy settings. What I don’t know about this game is the character leveling and customization system (cuz the trailer didn’t show it) and the loot system (if any, again because the trailer did nothing for that). Based on those things it is extremely similar to Diablo and not just because “that’s what’s familiar to me” but because it just plain looks and seems to play just like it.

    Apparently I’m not the only one to have this impression of it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+legends+diablo&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

    And before you say that that search is biased because of the keywords I used, here’s a plain search. Diablo references all over it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+legends&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

    I don’t think “that’s what you’re familiar with” holds up.
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    I thought of Diablo because it’s a fantasy game with fairly generic graphics in a locked isometric view where you run around killing hordes of monsters in various fantasy settings. What I don’t know about this game is the character leveling and customization system (cuz the trailer didn’t show it) and the loot system (if any, again because the trailer did nothing for that). Based on those things it is extremely similar to Diablo and not just because “that’s what’s familiar to me” but because it just plain looks and seems to play just like it.

    Apparently I’m not the only one to have this impression of it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+legends+diablo&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

    And before you say that that search is biased because of the keywords I used, here’s a plain search. Diablo references all over it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+legends&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

    I don’t think “that’s what you’re familiar with” holds up.
    Actually you used google to search for Magic+Legends+Diablo first, thus contaminating the second search since google likes to prioritize sites you've been to recently.

    I looked through the first two pages of hits and found 2 comparing it to Diablo(but in broad strokes) while also finding comparisons to Core Punk(I don't even know what that is), Destiny, and WoW.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • but that kind of info is stored in cookies, isn't it? so one can just purge them and search again if they're really worried about search contamination​​
    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    but that kind of info is stored in cookies, isn't it? so one can just purge them and search again if they're really worried about search contamination​​
    I'm not sure about that. It might be or it might not. At any rate purging all cookies is something not everyone wants to do daily.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • you don't need to; all browsers (at least the ones i've used) come with a search bar in the cookie section of its options so you can look up specific ones for removal​​
    RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

    blacklivesmatter.png

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    but that kind of info is stored in cookies, isn't it? so one can just purge them and search again if they're really worried about search contamination​​
    Most browsers have an option to open a window that doesn't have or save cookies; name varies (Chrome calls it incognito, Edge calls it inPrivate, Firefox calls it private, I don't have Safari loaded so I can't check).
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    I don’t get why you’re fighting so hard against the game being compared to diablo. Diablo is a good game. And it doesn’t matter if there is “search contamination”. My search didn’t make those sites compare the game to Diablo. The fact that he game looks a lot like it isn’t probably the reason.
    biffsig.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,447 Arc User
    mordray001 wrote: »
    Just looked over the website... not impressed. Not only doesn't it cover the various classes fully, meaning they likely don't know what they will be yet, they also are implementing some kind of random draw system for your 'spells'... great... now my level of ability to survive is going to depend on random... fracking wonderful.

    In case that wasn't clear enough. Nope not interested! Hard Pass!

    huh. okay, that makes me a bit more interested.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    I don’t get why you’re fighting so hard against the game being compared to diablo. Diablo is a good game. And it doesn’t matter if there is “search contamination”. My search didn’t make those sites compare the game to Diablo. The fact that he game looks a lot like it isn’t probably the reason.
    Whether it's similar is not the question. The question was how many people think it looks like a "clone" of Diablo.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,447 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    but that kind of info is stored in cookies, isn't it? so one can just purge them and search again if they're really worried about search contamination​​
    I'm not sure about that. It might be or it might not. At any rate purging all cookies is something not everyone wants to do daily.

    My first impression was also diablo clone, due to the camera perspective, the apparent movement mechanics, and the way the attacks appear to be controlled and the way they effect enemies. They could have been holding laser pistols and be fighting aliens and I would have gotten the same impression (and now I want an Xcom diablo clone). "Diablo clone" is a set of UI elements and game mechanics, not art. If Diablo didn't create the genre ( I forget if it did ) it certainly brought it to prominence, and that's what happens. The disappointing part here is that the game, by that trailer, doesn't appear to be doing anything Diablo 2 wasn't doing two decades ago, other than the "your powers are a deck" thing.

    Of course that doesn't mean it'll fail or anything. Path of Exile is even more of a straight diablo clone and it's very successful. Though that does mean we need to hope even more that Cryptic's Magic game strays further from the formula, because we already have Path of Exile, and Cryptic won't be able to compete with it if it's just the same thing but less developed.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > Whether it's similar is not the question. The question was how many people think it looks like a "clone" of Diablo.

    Why does that matter? It’s obvious people are comparing the games. The only reason why Hey would donso is because the game just plain looks like it. And again if there’s some awesome thing that separates the game from Diablo, which I hope there is, he trailer utterly failed to show it. The trailer showed Diablo with a gamepad UI.
    biffsig.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    > @spinnytop said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > My first impression was also diablo clone, due to the camera perspective, the apparent movement mechanics, and the way the attacks appear to be controlled and the way they effect enemies. They could have been holding laser pistols and be fighting aliens and I would have gotten the same impression (and now I want an Xcom diablo clone). "Diablo clone" is a set of UI elements and game mechanics, not art. If Diablo didn't create the genre ( I forget if it did ) it certainly brought it to prominence, and that's what happens. The disappointing part here is that the game, by that trailer, doesn't appear to be doing anything Diablo 2 wasn't doing two decades ago, other than the "your powers are a deck" thing.
    >
    > Of course that doesn't mean it'll fail or anything. Path of Exile is even more of a straight diablo clone and it's very successful. Though that does mean we need to hope even more that Cryptic's Magic game strays further from the formula, because we already have Path of Exile, and Cryptic won't be able to compete with it if it's just the same thing but less developed.

    I agree with all of this.
    biffsig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,908 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    but that kind of info is stored in cookies, isn't it? so one can just purge them and search again if they're really worried about search contamination​​
    I'm not sure about that. It might be or it might not. At any rate purging all cookies is something not everyone wants to do daily.

    My first impression was also diablo clone, due to the camera perspective, the apparent movement mechanics, and the way the attacks appear to be controlled and the way they effect enemies. They could have been holding laser pistols and be fighting aliens and I would have gotten the same impression (and now I want an Xcom diablo clone). "Diablo clone" is a set of UI elements and game mechanics, not art. If Diablo didn't create the genre ( I forget if it did ) it certainly brought it to prominence, and that's what happens. The disappointing part here is that the game, by that trailer, doesn't appear to be doing anything Diablo 2 wasn't doing two decades ago, other than the "your powers are a deck" thing.

    Of course that doesn't mean it'll fail or anything. Path of Exile is even more of a straight diablo clone and it's very successful. Though that does mean we need to hope even more that Cryptic's Magic game strays further from the formula, because we already have Path of Exile, and Cryptic won't be able to compete with it if it's just the same thing but less developed.
    Ok... but using that definition is akin to calling all FPS games "Call of Duty clones". It's so broad that it makes calling it a "clone" meaningless.

    Given that it's only actually around 30-40 seconds, it really doesn't have much room to show us much. It does however show that the people doing the art made it look like Dominaria and even made the NPC characters look like the card art from the card game. Someone on Reddit posted a pic comparing the card art of Josu Vess with the in-game character and it's nearly identical. It does also show the quest structure which is similar to the way STO, NW and CO do it. But yeah, it's a tiny teaser of a game in alpha, there's not gonna be much to go on.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    So, there's somewhat more informative videos out there.

    (not that I see any particular *wow* stuff in it, but at least it gives a bit more informed speculation).
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,408 Arc User
    lol the like/dislike ratio
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))
    
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > Ok... but using that definition is akin to calling all FPS games "Call of Duty clones". It's so broad that it makes calling it a "clone" meaningless.

    I feel like you’re being purposely obtuse. Even on a surface level, comparing CoD to Doom, Halo, Hexen, Unreal Torunament, Goldeneye, Borderlands, I can tell you several differences just from a short clip as to how these games are all different. Now if you wanna compare CoD to something like Medal of Honor, sure you’re not going to be able to tell them apart at a glance. But that hardly covers “all FPS games”.
    biffsig.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > So, there's somewhat more informative videos out there.
    >
    > (not that I see any particular *wow* stuff in it, but at least it gives a bit more informed speculation).


    Skip to 6:39 😆
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,039 Arc User
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > So, there's somewhat more informative videos out there.
    >
    > (not that I see any particular *wow* stuff in it, but at least it gives a bit more informed speculation).


    Skip to 6:39 😆
    I don't recall objecting to calling it diablo-esque.
Sign In or Register to comment.