test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So has everyone figured out STE?

Just curious how people are feeling about STE since in the past we've had lots of things that were horrifyingly impossible at first but then a few months later people in general figured it out and it becomes easy. Is there anyone left who still loses every single STE they join? ( assuming that was ever real to being with :P )

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I don’t think it’s they lose every single time, but eliminated completing it 100%
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I don’t think it’s they lose every single time, but eliminated completing it 100%

giving up is the same as losing o3o
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Star Trek: Enterprise?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Then winner...When you get that visor let me know and I’ll buy it off you
    The anal one

Analytical Visor
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Not so much that it is so hard, it's just that after all these years it would be nice to do something in which most of the difficulty is not surviving swarms of mooks; it's just more of what we do in 95% of the existing content anyway. I.e. let us have some minor npc villains instead, for at least some of it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    The anal one

Analytical Visor

If I get one I'll let you know. Does it drop from regular victory or one of the special ones?
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Not so much that it is so hard, it's just that after all these years it would be nice to do something in which most of the difficulty is not surviving swarms of mooks; it's just more of what we do in 95% of the existing content anyway. I.e. let us have some minor npc villains instead, for at least some of it.

Weird, cause I feel like "fight a bunch of things" is the content that we're really lacking - at least, challenging versions. Sure Grab alerts have groups of stuff, but they're just fodder. That's why I was so happy when we got QWZ, because it's literally the only level 40 "fight a challenging group of things" content there was. Then STE became the 2nd thing.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    The current build for my main is basically unkillable with all those bodies around them... EBF+Defiant+Multi Stacking Dependency = damned hard to kill once it gets rolling. The only problem I've had was the knock field phase and I sadly can't do the turrets phase by myself... seems like we need at least three bodies to pull that off.

Every run has been only the basic method without the other methods of winning even being discussed muchless attempted.

Honestly this is probably the most fun I get to have with my main right now. She's just so damned tanky that it's almost boring to play most content with her and the gang bang that is the event bosses just isn't that fun... survival isn't about what your build is or how you gear (though that can help), but rather whether or not there are enough healers... obviously I'm not a healer. I am not wired up for that kind of game play... I don't see someone dying and think about healing them I think about killing the attackers before the peep dies or at least drawing the attackers attention.
    The challenge isn't the thing. It's that most of the game is just fighting mooks. At endgame it would be nice to have something other than a somewhat harder version of Harmon Labs. Hence my interest in seeing some reuse of the minor supervillains already scattered through the game.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    The challenge isn't the thing. It's that most of the game is just fighting mooks. At endgame it would be nice to have something other than a somewhat harder version of Harmon Labs. Hence my interest in seeing some reuse of the minor supervillains already scattered through the game.

so long as they're not a bunch of wimps that fall over in 5 seconds u3u
    Agreed. I just want a battle that is something other than a bunch of mooks or a cosmic. E.g. maybe my nemesis could hire Soviet Guard (enhanced not to be pushovers) to protect his/her base.
    spinnytop wrote: »

so long as they're not a bunch of wimps that fall over in 5 seconds u3u

JwLmWoa.png
  • Ok, I admit it...I don't know what STE means. So, um, what does it mean?
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Yeah, I feel like they stealth-nerfed STE. Seems easy now. Don't think I failed a single run this time around.
    ... and yet this morning I heard someone claim they had been on 7 failed STEs in a row.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Ok, I admit it...I don't know what STE means. So, um, what does it mean?
    STE is short for Save The Earth, a custom alert that's on once every 2-3 months where you stop a Nemesis (player-made villain) from arming a space-death-ray.

I'm thinking there's still significant disparity between how difficult different henchmen powersets are. I remember Elec henchmen just melting people if they aren't constantly blocking, and in other cases stuff like Ninja Weapon guys are just annoying all-around to deal with with all the holds/blindness. I wouldn't say it's an issue of people not knowing how to do the alert, it's that the amount of damage that gets defecated all over teams can range from anywhere between manageable to utterly overwhelming.

How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• bluhman wrote: »
    Ok, I admit it...I don't know what STE means. So, um, what does it mean?
    STE is short for Save The Earth, a custom alert that's on once every 2-3 months where you stop a Nemesis (player-made villain) from arming a space-death-ray.

I'm thinking there's still significant disparity between how difficult different henchmen powersets are. I remember Elec henchmen just melting people if they aren't constantly blocking, and in other cases stuff like Ninja Weapon guys are just annoying all-around to deal with with all the holds/blindness. I wouldn't say it's an issue of people not knowing how to do the alert, it's that the amount of damage that gets defecated all over teams can range from anywhere between manageable to utterly overwhelming.

Really? Weird...because a few days ago I was just doing alerts almost randomly for fun with an alt that I don't use much. I can't remember the name of the alert I just remember it was on the dock in Vibora and had Nemesis in the name. I didn't think much about it until the mission was over...and I realized that the villain we just fought was my characters ALOMST FORGOTTEN nemesis. (Seriously, I've got max level characters that have NEVER finished their nemesis arcs. I wish they'd increase the speed on them. I sometimes forget I have a nemesis, its so infrequent)

That's not the same mission is it?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Nope.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited November 2019
    Really? Weird...because a few days ago I was just doing alerts almost randomly for fun with an alt that I don't use much. I can't remember the name of the alert I just remember it was on the dock in Vibora and had Nemesis in the name. I didn't think much about it until the mission was over...and I realized that the villain we just fought was my characters ALOMST FORGOTTEN nemesis. (Seriously, I've got max level characters that have NEVER finished their nemesis arcs. I wish they'd increase the speed on them. I sometimes forget I have a nemesis, its so infrequent)

That's not the same mission is it?

No that was Dockside Dustup which is in the Smash category. Save The Earth is somewhere below that on the alert queue buttons thingy.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    And to answer Spinny's original question: I have no idea how to play STE, because I haven't done it. Too busy with altaholism (especially now that a random tweet has me itching to create Night-Monkey, but I'm still leveling Splash, and Pyretta Blaze and the Duck Knight are running the Franklin Stone thing every day, and and and...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    jonsills wrote: »
    And to answer Spinny's original question: I have no idea how to play STE, because I haven't done it. Too busy with altaholism (especially now that a random tweet has me itching to create Night-Monkey, but I'm still leveling Splash, and Pyretta Blaze and the Duck Knight are running the Franklin Stone thing every day, and and and...).

Someday you'll get to level 40, and then I'll take you up on that offer to take you to TA that you made like 3 years ago o3o
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    There is some truth to this, for sure. I haven't run into any of the really nasty minions yet. My least favorite are the ice (or maybe wind) ones that you can't see, cc you and do a good chunk of damage to boot. So annoying!

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    I'm thinking there's still significant disparity between how difficult different henchmen powersets are.
    There's some (PA minions with their repel are rather problematic in the electric floor phase), but for the most part fails are pretty basic problems with aggro management and being able to handle the incoming dps.

The alternate endings are basically for premade teams.
    Every time I think I've figured out that some type of minion is worse than another, I run a STE that contradicts those findings. I think Panta is right and the team itself is the biggest factor. I've never run into any combination of nemesis/minion types that can stop a team of strong, competent players.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I failed it enough times to say ,,|,, this piece of garbage. And just traded for the awesome glasses, and will never touch it again. :)
    [NbK]XStorm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Darkness can be a pain with their self heals making it hard to wipe them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I failed it enough times to say ,,|,, this piece of garbage. And just traded for the awesome glasses, and will never touch it again. :)

And here I am PUGing it to make sure it stays interesting 392239833826721792.png?v=1
  • peripeteiaperipeteia Posts: 39 Arc User
    I have been doing these runs on many characters, the one run with Vexx involved was simple. He herded and lost nothing.

The other runs came down to what herders were doing with the mobs. It pays to keep mobs away from as many of the DPS as possible. I say herders as you only have to gather up from perception using block and then move them away from the team but aggro can be shed. Bad runs consist of no one moving mobs away from squishy members and instead perhaps toward the door where everyone comes in.

Then someone who gets the panel is someone who knows how to lose attacking foes in order not to get interrupted and having tanks with hordes of mobs upon them not attack the turrets helps.

Up on board the platform, block when the grid goes up (but it can be helpful to get knocked off the first one incase anyone else does as it means 2 of you go back to a perhaps an empty side.)

Then people auto click recover after dying especially likely on the platform when fighting the boss, lowering numbers, as they're locked out. It is safer to pull to a corner. All in all, no special team make up or powersets required.
  • spiderbandit314spiderbandit314 Posts: 7 Arc User
    The best strategy that has worked for my team has been: someone (usually me) stay near the concole and spam the button to keep the shields down on the turrets, it occasionally works when the dps can finally melt the turrets must most of the time the one on the consoles usually splits when they start gettin attack or everyon concentrates in the mobs more then the turrets when the shields are down
    edited November 2019
    The best strategy that has worked for my team has been: someone (usually me) stay near the concole and spam the button to keep the shields down on the turrets, it occasionally works when the dps can finally melt the turrets must most of the time the one on the consoles usually splits when they start gettin attack or everyon concentrates in the mobs more then the turrets when the shields are down

See that's smart thinking. STE works best when people think in terms of roles and attempt to fill roles that aren't being filled. Console poker is a vital role, as is mob wrangler, and turret nuker. You're right that if everyone is mob wrangling, then nothing is getting done and some people just don't notice that that's the case and don't do anything about it. By being a dedicated console poker you are one of the people ensuring STE successes! \o/
    Hmmm as for difficulty changes... mob respawn was slower than I was expecting. Not sure if it was actually slower, or I was just expecting more.

I do know that some of the mobs used to be tough, but the current version doesn't have those.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    People may have StE mostly figured out, but that doesn't mean they like it. Most people I talk to call it the worst alert by far, and I agree. 5 smushy dps have no chance, so unless you get a self-sustainable tank or a solid healer, it's still going to be a ragequit experience.

I stand by my opinion that it needs to be toned down to match the other, similar content it's grouped with.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    People may have StE mostly figured out, but that doesn't mean they like it. Most people I talk to call it the worst alert by far, and I agree. 5 smushy dps have no chance, so unless you get a self-sustainable tank or a solid healer, it's still going to be a ragequit experience.

I stand by my opinion that it needs to be toned down to match the other, similar content it's grouped with.

Most people I talk to say that anecdotal evidence is poop.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    I find it completely uninteresting so don't do it.
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    I find it completely uninteresting so don't do it.
    I mostly do the custom alerts for the Q, so...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    nbkxs wrote: »

wait, weren't you the person in a previous thread about STE going nuts because I said STE benefits from having a tank and you were like "You don't need a tank at all I did it with five dps!".