test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Player + Freeform

I'm a new player and i've been thinking about buying a freeform slot (or even a lifetime subscription) to customize my hero, but i'm not sure which theme to stick with and i'm also not sure how to build each theme, so here i come for help.

1)An alien race with extremely developed brains. Because of that they are both geniuses and telepaths. This particular alien used his intellect to build an weaponized cyber exoskeleton. A slightly modified version of this is an alien race made of pure psionic energy that uses cyber exoskeleton as a containment suit for their energy form. In the first case Intelligence is the Primary Super Stat and in the second case Ego is. What are the synergies between Power Armor and Mentalist (Telepathy + Telekinesis) framework?

2)Laser Sword build that applies Disintegrate (from Lightspeed Strike) + Burn Through (from Chest Beam) + Electric Form or Quantum Stabilizer (to boost Energy Damage). Now i want to use Sonic Device (because sonic is energy damage thus is affected by every buff and debuff here other than Burn Through) but i don't know which Particle AoE or Single Target Attack i'll add sonic damage to. Any idea? Any way to add Crushing and Electric damage too?

3)When i click on "The Witch" archetype on character creation screen to check the effects of Manipulator, it says ranged damage is boosted and energy is gained. Shouldn't it boost my crowd control duration instead? Also is there any way to apply Wither debuff (from Sentinel Tree) to control-immune enemies?

4)Son of an Angel and a Demon. Obviously he's going to have Celestial powers because of his angelical bloodline. Should i pick Darkness or Infernal Supernatural for his demonic bloodline?

5)How viable is a summoner of uncontrollable pets or a DoT expert?

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    For the Alien build: I'd say don't get too hung up on tying the theme to the chosen stat(s); the stats have too much practical and mechanical implications in a build to use them as limiters for a build concept, imo. That said, taking Concentration as the toggle/form means you can make most ranged builds Int-based, though ofc you don't have to go down that route either.

Anyways, there isn't any real synergy between Power Armor (PA) and most other sets like Mentalist, mainly cause PA slotted attacks lockout all other attack types when used (and the lockout also comes w/ a small delay before the powers get reactivated). Ofc, you can use non-slotted PA powers instead, but there isn't anything mechanically special about mixing that w/ Mentalist in CO. Here's an example build for PA + Mentalist (Telepathy, in this case):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Dex: 8, Con: 10, Int: 10, End: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Power Gauntlet (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Rocket Punch (Rank 2, Grasping Hand)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity)
    Level 23: Mental Leech (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Mental Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

The open power slot can be used for w/e ya want, and feel free to ask for further suggestions.

Power Gauntlet is the main single-target attack here, while Rocket Punch is the main AoE. Taps of Mental Storm and MLeech can help debuff and proc Molec Self-Assembly (MSA) for extra energy gains. Conviction is a quick self-heal that can also help proc MSA. Taps of Chest Beam can debuff for Power Gauntlet and Rocket Punch to do more dmg (or you can charge it for burst dmg, though keep in mind its scatter knockback effect, and its higher energy cost). Energy Wave can also be charged to pull-in scattered enemies for AoE follow-ups. Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Con and Dex.

-

For the 2nd build, it's a bit weird that a new player would be this clued into CO's mechanics already.. anyways, there comes a point where its not worth it to keep adding debuffs for the power slots used and combat time spent. Mixing Laser Sword w/ Chest Beam taps is fine, but I may just keep it at that for simplicity, and that way you could focus on Laser Sword. Here's an example build for it, for reference:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Cybernetic Warrior (Con: 10, Int: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Lightspeed Strike (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
    Level 6: Particle Accelerator
    Level 8: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Unified Theory
    Level 14: Particle Wave (Illuminate, Bad Footing)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Lightwave Slash (Rank 2, Light Mend)
    Level 23: Luminescent Slash (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Lightspeed Dash (Download)
    Level 32: Chest Beam (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Laser Deflection (Rank 2)
    Level 38:

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Setup (2/2)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)

Alternates between combos of Lightspeed Strike and charged Luminescent Slash for single-target dps (the combo can proc Brawler's Setup for the latter attack), and you can throw taps of Chest Beam in there for the extra Particle debuff. Particle Wave can corral enemies in front of you for AoE follow-ups from Lightwave Slash (the main pbAoE here), Lightspeed Strike, and/or Chest Beam. Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Con and End.

-

Manipulator primarily boosts hold/CC strength duration, but it does also boost all dmg 2ndarily. Many toggle/forms have 2ndary bonuses as well. As far as debuffs and procs, typically debuffs can apply to CC-immune targets, even if the CC effect doesn't; it's the attempt to apply the effect that counts in that case (Wither's debuff doesn't have an icon, but it can still work). Anyways, I'm not sure what the actual build request is for this 3rd one.

-

For the Angel/Demon hybrid, it'll just depend on you what to mix w/ Celestial, since either Darkness or Infernal can work just fine (Darkness and Celestial both use Dimensional dmg, but I wouldn't say that's make-or-break here). Celestial atm isn't really a good set for personal dps atm, but it can add Support and possibly extra CC/debuffs, and then I'd prob just make either Infernal or Darkness the main dps portion. It could just come down to personal or visual preference, so I'll just let you make that choice between Darkness and Infernal.

-

Pet builds are fine for casual content. Pets in CO can have AI issues, can crowd out melee, and can die easily to heavy AoE, so for much of higher-end content they aren't generally desirable, but I imagine as a newer player that's not a pressing concern atm.

DoTs come in many diff forms in CO and are spread throughout many diff sets, so I'm not really sure what theme you'd use to bind them, and mechanically that could get messy. In CO, it's not gonna be like, I guess, an Affliction Warlock or SPriest in WoW or something. The closest to a DoT-heavy playstyle is prob w/ Telepathy atm, but its DoTs are more for utility and debuffing than for damage.

Anyways, hope all of that was of some help to you.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Oh, and I just checked in-game, and I think the Manipulator thing is just an error in that part of the description. The actual bonuses are outlined in the tooltip, and their numbers will scale w/ stats & gear (Int or Presence, in Manip's case).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    vincentr6669vincentr6669 Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks for the answers! Yes, it did help me.

About the Laser build, i know about mechanics because i've been studying about the game more than i've been playing. I started playing by the end of October with "The Inferno" archetype. Now i guess i'm going to play with the new Tenebrous archetype until i decide if i should buy a Freeform slot (or lifetime sub) or not. Anyway, isn't Sonic Device just a click/tap from what i've read? I hope this won't interfere so much with Laser Sword/Chest Beam rotation.

About the PA/Mentalist build, isn't there any kind of "reactive" (or always active) power that triggers automatically? This way i could use slotted PA attacks and psychic attacks at the same time. For instance i know that Ego Storm with Malevolent Manifestation advantage becomes a "Toggle" attack (the same can be said about Sparkstorm with Electric Personality), wouldn't i be able to use a power like this combined with Power Armor's Chest/Hand/Shoulder slots? Or it doesn't work the way i think?

About the Crowd Control build, i read on these forums (don't remember exactly where) that Wither doesn't apply to control-immune targets because unlike the remaining control-debuff feats (Vulnerability and Trapped), it isn't applied by the attempt to control, but by the control itself. It doesn't have its own timer unlike the other 2 debuffs because its timer is as long as the enemy is controlled. Also i'm not sure if i should focus more on CC duration (Stalling Tactics spec from Sentry tree) or on debuff (Trapped spec from Overseer tree). Presence and Sentinel tree are already set on stone. The theme on this one is CC mechanics itself, it doesn't matter which framework powers come from.

About DoT, i was thinking more of stuff like Bleeding, Chi Flame, Clinging Flames, Deadly Poison, Plasma Burn than i was thinking about DoTs from Telepathy (which you use on an asleep target as far as i know). I would use both Ebon Rift and Skarn's Bane with the advantage that applies random debuffs, don't know where to go from there.

About the Angel/Demon build, i was thinking about both Darkness and Infernal on his Demonic/DPS side. Probably i should use Enchanter passive in this case to buff both Dimensional and Toxic damage, Ascension as my Celestial Active Offense, Aspect of the Infernal as my Toggle Form, not sure which Energy Unlock.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    About the Laser build, i know about mechanics because i've been studying about the game more than i've been playing. I started playing by the end of October with "The Inferno" archetype. Now i guess i'm going to play with the new Tenebrous archetype until i decide if i should buy a Freeform slot (or lifetime sub) or not. Anyway, isn't Sonic Device just a click/tap from what i've read? I hope this won't interfere so much with Laser Sword/Chest Beam rotation.
    Okay, that makes some sense then.

And yea, Sonic Device is a tap that adds on to your next attack, so you can put it in there if you want. Its longer cd (and ranged tagging in a melee build) means that it won't boost your overall dps by that much, but it can still have utility in adding some extra opener/burst dmg and a stun (and still be thematic, I assume).
    About the PA/Mentalist build, isn't there any kind of "reactive" (or always active) power that triggers automatically? This way i could use slotted PA attacks and psychic attacks at the same time. For instance i know that Ego Storm with Malevolent Manifestation advantage becomes a "Toggle" attack (the same can be said about Sparkstorm with Electric Personality), wouldn't i be able to use a power like this combined with Power Armor's Chest/Hand/Shoulder slots? Or it doesn't work the way i think?
    Well, slotted PA toggles do generally lockout all other power types (including other toggles from other powersets), but once they have been activated. You can activate the other set's toggle before the PA stuff and have that work out, but that will be even more toggle and energy management on top of what PA can already do (and 3-slot PA is already extremely energy-intensive, so you'd likely be effectively replacing a PA toggle slot w/ an intermittent toggle from another set to afford it all).

There is another general approach to deal w/ slotted PA build mixing w/ other sets (aside from just using non-slotted PA), and that's more strictly separating their uses- ala using PA toggles strictly for single-target dps situations, and another set's AoE for main AoE (or vice versa, though PA's main feature is it's highest per-target dps of all ranged sets, when optimized and properly managed). It can still be a bit weird to implement at times (as can anything related to slotted PA), but it can still work out that way generally.

-
    As far as Wither on bosses: I believe it does apply, but only very briefly, so it won't be as high-value as other CC-related debuffs- though even a moment of the debuff can help a large group of dps'ers, so it will somewhat depend on the content overall. It's still worth taking if using CC + Sentinel spec, imo, since Wither is still useful on trash and you'd likely be using the CC to proc Sentinel Mastery anyways.

Regardless, I prob wouldn't give a general CC build atm, since many sets can at least contribute to it potentially, but if you have any particular sets or powers in mind that you'd like to try then we could make a build around those.
    About DoT, i was thinking more of stuff like Bleeding, Chi Flame, Clinging Flames, Deadly Poison, Plasma Burn than i was thinking about DoTs from Telepathy (which you use on an asleep target as far as i know). I would use both Ebon Rift and Skarn's Bane with the advantage that applies random debuffs, don't know where to go from there.
    The problem w/ mixing all those DoTs is that they all come from different sets, so they may scale differently and/or have different ways of having to be applied (esp dealing w/ melee vs. ranged stuff), which could make the build messy or inefficient to play. Also, there's just the simple issue of you having limited power slots to work with, so you'd probably want to pare down on the amount of effects you're aiming for regardless (would also make the task of recommending a build easier).

-
    For the Angel/Demon build, it would generally be more efficient to focus on just Darkness or Infernal for the dps portion, but you can mix them too if you want and still do well for most things. I'm unsure what 'role' you want to play as, but here's an example ranged dps build for it (of many diff options, since there's many different attack combinations that you could do):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Dex: 8, Con: 10, Int: 10, End: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Infernal Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Enchanter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Draining Shadows)
    Level 14: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Ghost Fire)
    Level 17: Conjuring
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia)
    Level 29: Ascension (Judgment)
    Level 32: Ebon Void (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Celestial Conduit (Rank 2)
    Level 38:

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)

Alternates between the blast and ERuin for single-target dps, and uses SEmbrace for its main AoE (which can also heal you). Keeping the Wisp up in any case is important for buffing/debuffing, and rolling Conjuring for extra energy in the background. The Celestial stuff isn't obv going to replace a Support unit, but it can help out a bit as needed (you could include an ally or self res in there, if you want, of different supporting powers to replace what I included). Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Con and Dex.
  • Options
    vincentr6669vincentr6669 Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks again! I'll try to stick around the Laser Sword and Angel/Demon builds. I'll let the CC, DoT and Summons for later when i'm more decided about which theme to build around. I'll probably abandon PA/Mentalist because it seems really an herculean task to manage. Now i just need to acquire a FF slot.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    No problem. And yea, I generally would start out w/ simpler builds that focus on 1-2 sets, so you can get more of a deep-dive into their mechanics, and then later on you can use that experience/knowledge to help you build or try more complex stuff. Once you're able to get an FF and start experimenting more in the PH then that will also help w/ putting things into practice, so you can see for yourself, for example, how PA and/or Telepathy plays and get a better idea of what you want from them. Good luck, either way, and fun out there!