test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seeking Advice

jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
(because I know someone here has done it - probably several someones)

I've recently gotten a bug in my head about a water-themed toon (who doesn't really swim well - his costume will feature a scuba mask, flippers, and a floaty ring on his waist). Problem is, I have no idea which powers look pretty much like water in use (assuming a blue tint to them). Suggestions?
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Water could be imagined from a number of diff sets, assuming you have power recoloring: like Force, Sorcery, Infernal, Wind- even Fire could work if colored blue-ish. Ofc, the 'water' illusion of any of these sets is going to be aesthetically different, so maybe just try them out visually in the PH and/or PTS and see which one(s) you generally prefer first?

Ofc, Whirlpool is a shoe-in for the ult (if you have it), but beyond that it's generally up to you.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Yep, LTS. I've tried Force and Wind so far - Force Bolts don't really look like anything, and Wind is just so... gusty. Guess I'll have to keep checking them out (Splash hasn't left the Powerhouse yet).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Holy Water is an obvious one, if you have it unlocked.
    Force Geyser kinda looks like it could be a quick squirty blast coming out of the ground.
    Containment Field and Protection Field look like they could be water.
    Force Shield also has a could-be-water-like appearance.
    Fire Breath has kind of a fluidy appearance.
    Condemn could maybe look like a gush of water coming from the sky.
    Mental Storm is kind of like a storm cloud with lightning coming out of it.
    Blue Power Armor lasers could be water jets?
    Bionic Shielding could be like a water shield
    Ice Breath might look watery enough as well... and well, Ice powers are literally water, just frozen.
    So far I've taken Force Bolts as the EB, with that advantage that can put a protective sheath on the user - "sometimes my powers feed back weird, and I get surrounded by a bubble of water. Helps deflect small-arms fire and lasers, but I have to wear this scuba gear so I don't drown." Also using Gust, which when charging looks kind of like you're creating a ball of water to throw, and - oh gads, I think it's called Hurricane? A short-range AoE centered on the character, anyway. Colored medium blue, it looks rather like a vortex of water. Using Hoverboard as a TP, wishing I had a skin that looked like a surfboard, but really hoping to find the Bubble Flight unlock either in a box or at the AH.

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I may skip the end builder's adv (shouldn't be using it much anyways) and maybe instead get Protection Field if you want a bubble visual, which you can also put on allies. Gust is okay as a basic attack, though you prob want to pair it w/ a heavier one, like Ice Spear, Typhoon, or Defile. Here's an example partial build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Gust (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Stormbringer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Chilled Form
    Level 14: Wind Reverberation
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Icicle Spear (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Force Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38: Whirlpool (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (2/3)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Alternates between Gust and the heavier attack (here, Ice Spear) for single-target dps, and uses Hurricane as its main AoE (you can cancel it early if you don;t want the scatter KB). Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con and End/Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I've used blue tinted infernal for looking a bit watery, but it's kinda dark and has some skulls in it, so probably not quite right. Condemn or Vengeance are reasonable candidates but not terribly good powers. There's also TK if you don't mind turning your water into weapons. Still, I wouldn't say there's any really good ways to do water powers, just a bunch of okay-ish.
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    I use the fire powerset and color it blue (Clinging Flames = Scolding Splash)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    wishing I had a skin that looked like a surfboard, but really hoping to find the Bubble Flight unlock either in a box or at the AH.

Have you considered the Surf Board travel power?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I mixed Wind and Ice and used Bubble Flight and Whirlpool Ult for my Atlantean character....I do wish we had more actual water powers in the Elemental set but...that doesn't seem like something that will happen soon.
    Haven't gotten lucky enough for any TPs to drop from the few lockboxes I've opened. (I did get the Whirlpool ult, so when Splash gets that high he'll at least have that...)

• megaerik000megaerik000 Posts: 15 Arc User
    Check out soul vortex from the shadow powers. Works perfectly.