test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need Help Updating Fire DPS Build

blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
Hello there!

I'm in need of reworking my end game Fire DPS toon. She has two AOs and a very outdated build from *before* the fire rework. I'm curious of what are some ways to effectively rework her. Conflag has a special place in my heart, so I would like to keep it in some form, even if it is only used for trash mobs.

One combination I've had on mind is Fire Strike with the advantage that buffs up the next fire power used (and is not consumed while under the effects of immolation). Is that a solid thing to use or is there something better?

If it helps, I can post her current build. It's so outdated though, I'm not sure how helpful it would be.

Thank you for the help!

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Atm I would avoid Firestrike (unless you really wanted a fire attack that's 100ft), and assuming you want to use Incinerate for dps. Here's a simple Fire dps template that you can edit and add to:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 8: Chilled Form
    Level 11: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Fire Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 23: Flashfire (Fan the Flames)
    Level 26: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 30/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

(not an early leveling build, ofc)

Conflag is the main AoE, while Incinerate is the main single-target attack. Flashfire and Firesnake should be kept up for extra DoT dmg and debuffs. Open power slots can be for w/e ya want- like an AO, a self-res, Hydra (if you have it), a threat wipe, etc. Resurgence could instead be Indestructible, if you want a replacement for Masterful Dodge and were using MD before. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some End and Dex.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    Thank you Flow for taking the time to put this together! This is excellent. I'm geared for the same stats thankfully. The only difference is I have Dex as primary. I think I've wanted to switch to Ego for awhile, I just haven't done it. I'm unfamiliar with the guardian tree, so I'll be checking that out as well.

Thanks again!

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

No problem. You can use Dex PSS too, if you want- there's multiple SS setups that can work fine here (even moreso if you consider that you can use Conc or Fiery Will as the toggle/from instead, though that could mean changing the main stat focus).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
    What makes fire strike bad?
    yannbios wrote: »
    What makes fire strike bad?
    I wouldn't say its 'bad' in light of Fiery Escalation and its 100ft range, just that you now have Incinerate for single-target dps that you can use instead.
  • yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
    Fire strike still seemed lack luster even when u used consecutively for the boost. Vs incinerate it's pretty poor even for a 100 ft range
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Fire Strike is a long-range mobility power. No real use at cosmics, but can be useful in situations where you're range dancing. It's like Fire's only 100 range power. Also works real good as a debuff refresher.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    Interestingly, it counts as a blast power for Avenger's Preemptive Strike. I use it to add extra damage to some spike attacks on one of my fire users - boosts Pyre, Strafing Run, and Incendiary Grenades, and if you're fire/ice, should boost Rimefire. More of a 40 retcon concept than for leveling, though. And since it's the only "tap-only" blast that I know of in the game, it's a quick way to get a boost to spikes. Not very useful for maintains though since only the first tick gets a boost.
    edited November 2019
    Firestrike + Preemptive Strike can be good for boosting Fireball, if you're looking for a different way to play Fire dps. Obv won't be as good as a standard Incinerate build, but it can still do okay overall, and the burst dmg can be nice. Maybe I just like Fireball too much as a power, idk, but it's fun to throw out charged ones w/ Preemptive.
  • citizen#2019 citizen Posts: 6 Arc User
    I added fireball with r2 and unatable accelerant-its damage increase on fire effects is very noticeable. I would half charge fireball just before inactivate flash and incendary grenade
    I added fireball with r2 and unatable accelerant-its damage increase on fire effects is very noticeable. I would half charge fireball just before inactivate flash and incendary grenade

It definitely does boost burning effects significantly. In case you're also using Incinerate, keep in mind that the Unstable Accelerant effect is applied constantly while maintaining Incinerate.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I would like fireball a lot more if it was 100' range. 50' range self-rooting and a long charge time leads to situations where the target moves out of range, causing your flame to fizzle.
    Well, Incinerate (like most of Fire) is also 50ft and self-roots when used. Just a general property of Fire in CO, I guess.
    Fireball is actually a great mobility power - tap spam it while jumping around and you melt things pretty fast. I use it during the Hi Pan custom alert so I can get the yinyang buff while still dpsing. Those full charge hits are really great too though, such big number \o/
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Hmmm... yah I should be tap-spamming fireball more! Incinerate being 50' self-rooting hasn't been so noticeable to me, since it is a maintain, you always get some damage off. Ofc when you compare incinerate to lightning arc, it's a bit hard to see how these two sets could both have been balanced by the same team.
  • citizen#2019 citizen Posts: 6 Arc User
    Spinny so if i fireball once incenerate keeps it going?
    edited November 2019
    Incinerate puts up and refreshes UA innately while it's being used, so you don't have to use Fireball to apply it initially or anything (if we're talking for single-target dps w/ Incinerate). Fireball's adv can put up UA in a small AoE, and for a longer duration, though.

what flo said.

Incinerate completely takes care of it for single target use, application and refresh, Fireball advantage is for aoe use.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    Ohhh, these new questions and replies have been very helpful!