test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Costume Contest!

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
edited October 2019 in Super News Network
We're holding a special Halloween Costume Contest this Tuesday at 3:30pm PT! Bring your best spooky costumes!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11286543-halloween-costume-contest​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    *prepares most terrifying costume ever*

The question is... terrifying to who?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    Sorry, quick question for clarity's sake. This post mentions Tuesday at 3:30pm PT, but Kael's article says it's Wednesday, October 30 at 4pm PT. Can we please verify the correct time and day? Thanks, Kais.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
    It's Tuesday, the blog should have the correct dates.​​
    I was wondering. Kael normally does the STO weekly livestream on wed at 4pm pac.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
    Dear CO Devs,
    I do not believe I am alone when I express my disappointment in how your Costume Contests are received by the community.
    One of the greatest things about Champions Online is the Tailor and the vast assortment of costume pieces, costume sets, and auras, as well as a theater where we can have our CCs. Heck, y'all even update and fix old pieces. And, as many people have half joked "Costume Contests and Tailoring are the real end game." As such, costuming and contests are something we value in this community. We have rules for CCs, we establish etiquette, and we have schedules and channels for the purposes of organizing the regular weekly CCs hosted by super groups. Many of the Judges for their CCs will get in costume for the CC (after all, you don't want to be judged by someone who doesn't understand or like their own category enough to make a costume for it). So, if your goal is to build a positive relationship with the community by hosting Costume Contests, please allow me to share with you some observations myself and my fellow CO players have made.

Please pick a category that is clear in intent and make sure your judges stick to it. Last time, your theme of "Ten" was very obscure. Not only did you and your judges miss some of the more creative approaches to this category (tin woodsmen, covered in tinfoil, Moses with the 10 commandments, using X as the Roman numeral for 10, etc.), most of the judges' picks shifted to just picking things they liked that had nothing to do with the category. This leaves people who spent time working on "10" themed costumes frustrated and disappointed in your ability to host and judge a CC. Your category of "scary" or "spooky" might be fine. But honestly, I would just open it to "Halloween" because there are many ghosts, vampires, and other monsters that could be seen as heroic, impressive, sexy, adorable, or any other take on Halloween monsters. And if you don't change it, the second you pick an adorable C'thulu you are wrong (and yes, we have adorable elder gods).

Also, Ambassador Kael, please make a character and a costume in game. This goes back to my point about judges not being bothered to dress for their own category. We appreciate your reaction every time you are amazed at our abilities to weave textures, colors, and auras into masterpieces. But, it also reveals that you are not aware of what is in this game because you are not familiar enough with it. Also, we understand that real life comes first and that you must leave early, but when you schedule a CC and leave early, what does that say about how you value the contest?

Another point all of you should consider is when you are live on Twitch, you should not make snide comments about the costumes of your players. What you might think of as a joke or cute and clever, is likely interpreted as a rude comment by either the person who made the costume or others watching.

Also, I would like to address the subject of specifically saying that you are looking at "butts" on Twitch. It is one thing to want to look at the whole costume, but to objectify parts of the characters might be construed as offensive.

I look forward to your CC tomorrow. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    @Shortbus

Officer for Defenders of the Galaxy (Weekly CCs every Wednesday at 8pm Server Time)
    DJ on Dawn Radio https://www.paragondawn.com/dawnradio
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    I like that they look at the rump state: costumes are a 360 thing, not just the front section. More judges should look at our butts. That they have a buttbutt song makes it even better! :P

I like the commentary, because otherwise I have NO idea what they thought of my costume. Is it sometimes a little mean? Well, yes. One of the Christmas CCs they said I looked like a homeless shelter volunteer who'd had a microwave blow up in her face. :p But knowing is better than not knowing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    @shortbus#4297

Missing the most important rule, don’t like how someone host, don’t come and or host your own.

You are half way there.

They run it their way, be thankful for that and move on. They make a category and they pick who they like. Simple and easy.

People will complain regardless.
    The bigger the prize the more broken hearts and egos.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    @shortbus#4297

Missing the most important rule, don’t like how someone host, don’t come and or host your own.

You are half way there.

They run it their way, be thankful for that and move on. They make a category and they pick who they like. Simple and easy.

People will complain regardless.

I think the point was that people might complain less and participate more if some of those simple steps were taken. Usually, the people behind a game would care about players being happy and participating in events, so it could be helpful feedback. Won't speak for shortbus, but that's how I took it.
    jonesing4 wrote: »

I think the point was that people might complain less and participate more if some of those simple steps were taken. Usually, the people behind a game would care about players being happy and participating in events, so it could be helpful feedback. Won't speak for shortbus, but that's how I took it.

Close.

My main point is that if their goal is to build rapport with the community, then these are steps that will help instead of hinder.

Also, Ealford1985, clearly you are just here to stir things up. Know how I know? My SG and I do host, judge and pick categories and set up a schedule for CCs way in advance. And if you attended the Wednesday Night Defenders of the Galaxy CCs you would know that.

Xparibax, i do agree that costumes are a 360 thing. The issue I am bringing up is that by focusing on "butts" it can be perceived as sexual harassment.

Marhawkman, If you were going for a homeless shelter volunteer who had a microwave malfunction, then CONGRATS! And though some feedback in the form of constructive criticism might be nice, down right snarky sarcastic comments might not ve well received by the person who made the costume as well as others watching. I know I do not like it when I see them make fun of the costumes my friends made.
    Clearly everyone knows you run CCs, in fact you make sure to say this every time Devs run a Costume Contest and you regurgitate the same garbage regarding their CCs, looking for issues (see my butts for clarification).

I even remember how you were trying to downplay a win from last Halloween because they were in a Tako throne device asking the judge if they only picked him because of vehicle

I think you are looking for issues instead of enjoying it.
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    I'd like to second shortbus's entire post.
    Everything stated is spot on.

Themes aren't clear and what's the point of having a theme when the judges don't stick to it.
    Not bothering to dress in your own chosen theme when you have access to ALL THE COSTUME PARTS also shows you either don't get your theme choice or just don't care... so again pick a clear, defined, theme and dress the part... Or don't and just say there is no theme.
    And actually atTENd in character form... You do have multiple zones, no need to both be in the same one.

Leaving early when you schedule the contest is in very poor taste, and it's not like it was a one time thing...
    True, real life comes first, but YOU make the schedule. (That's a "You" as in the CO Devs)

I get a laugh when my butt is looked at, because nearly every d00d in game looks at my butt! Some of the ladies do too ;)
    I like that the oooogling is live and equal for all, it would be a different story if they singled out one butt... especially if that butt wasn't mine!
    As someone above said, getting a full picture of a character's look is a good thing when judging.

I also laugh when Kai get's an offended look on her face when passing me on the live stream. #sexyandIknowit! lol!
    Though her expression and body language show me that I will never win, place, or get any kind of bonus handout because she visibly doesn't like me. She doesn't even know me. #sadface
    So for me, though I will likely miss this CC (real life first!), her reaction is usually my payoff for going to a Dev Hosted CC... That and the fighting.

It is also a shame that the only way to get certain things is via a Dev Hosted Costume Contest. Dev tokens, Therakiel's weapon skin, ect...
    It outright sucks the only way to get something is a costume contest... Toss that stuff into the Z Store! Heck, make it a lockbox like Stoic Flight so there's at least a chance to get the rare stuffs! lol! Or maybe make it a grind that we can only do once a year... Or a grind we can no longer do *cough*eidolon*cough*. Or in cases of Therakiel, put it back on him as a drop so the mission is worth doing again.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    So it's in 2h15mins?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    why is looking at someones butt sexual harassment? we ALL have butts. we look at butts in real life, in our mirror getting out of the bath, in the fitting rooms at the store, in the dance club on fridays, the athletes in their tight spandex at the sunday football game on TV, your grandma walkin slow down the stairs in front of you. fat butts, skinny butts, pancake butts, floppy butts, thicc butts. Butts are everywhere. butts are normal. walkin down the street, we dont go "AVERT YOUR EYES CHILDREN, those jeans have bejeweled back pockets!" What a rediculous thing to object to.
    Please enjoy looking at my butt. Or don't, I don't particularly care, but I have a butt and I like it and you should too.
    And next time the devs check butts at their CC - that they can host as they please, because it's THEIR cc, not the one you host, not one i've hosted, they can run it as they see fit, just like we all can- I will be happily singing the buttbutt song along with them. :)

I saw butts!

How will I go on!?!
    Hey Devs, Nice CC!

Lots of great costumes!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    The re-mix of The Butt Song was great. I want the mp3.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I have a BUTT? How could I be so Blind? :open_mouth:

Glad I got to see Simorgh, I only remember him being mentioned in Forums and from a picture from the Old Wiki! I see his Look also got updated with relevant new cotstume pieces​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Simorgh was pretty awesome to see, and tako and the shark, they belly up so cute. Good picks on the winners and I loved you guys dressed up <3 thanks again for the CC!

• spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Nice seeing Tumerboy, awesome CC and congrats to all the winners! Thank you! <3
    What is Simorgh? I didn’t see
    edited October 2019
    What is Simorgh? I didn’t see
    It's a Giant Egyptian Jackal-like winged cosmic fire demon who turns everyone into PVP target while himself being PVE enemy, everyone needs to take him down while surviving random attacks

Apparently he existed really early in the game's life and considered a Relic of the past!
    When he is close to be defeated, he announches the winners who dealt most DPS and survived for too long or something​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    The Sewn Ones give the Halloween Dev CC a spoopy 10/10!

gPLz01N.jpg

I was actually able to attend! #EUPlayer

Had fun and was lovely to see the team and TUMERBOOYYYY!! :heart:

Thanks guys!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Also...

Negladon Smile:

CGSWMmS.jpg

Takofanes attacks the Power House Theatre:

NCmpF5B.jpg

:smiley:
    edited October 2019
    Well the VOD is available for everyone to watch, unfortunately they spawned the cosmics after the livestream was over :/
    I discovered recently they archive and upload the videos on Facebook
    ​​
  • shaez#0851 shaez Posts: 5 Arc User
    First, you did choosed an anderstainable theme, we all have seen the clear vast majority of the contestants wearing costumes sticking to it. And every winner you picked was spoopy indeed. I should not be happy for something as logical as this but since your last CC, i am actualy.

And second, i'm IMPRESSED on how you guys managed to look the costumes AND judge the cc DURING le stream show. And dint let anyone just chill at doing nothing other than wait.
    That was a GREAT job !

I'm pleased to see you guys trying to do better at the first place, but nailing it in some unnexpected way is awesome and diserved to be said.

So, kuddos and keep up ;)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    why do the devs never post pics of the winners? Such a strange practice.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Didja see Hex flick those magic balls?!
    Didja?
    00:33:22.... They boobzoomed...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • I wasn't expecting to win but at least the devs finally said my character's name this time, unlike the Christmas CC. :/
    Boy they didn’t even want to comment on mine...Zombie Trump just wasn’t spooky enough
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for attending! Winners have been granted their rewards, they can be found in the inventory of the character present in the contest.​​
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    2nd time I haven't gotten a dev token. I can't even seem to win a participation award. XD
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Caught the tail end of the contest, but it was fun.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Just a quick followup, I was able to attend and I was entertained!

Great job with the poker faces on the live stream, bonus points for that! I was surprised that even more of those who got big reactions weren't eventual winners. Kudos for surprises! I was bummed I didn't get my traditional reaction. Butt I did get a dev token, thanks for that!

The after-fights were a blast!

Great job speeding up the entire process! Maybe we can get more now that they go faster/smoother? =)

Good to see that more dev tokens were passed around, though saw quite a few who didn't get them, I'm hoping they eventually did.
    edited October 2019
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I guess they are not at awesome as Piffle@Nimashet. ;)
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I guess they are not at awesome as Piffle@Nimashet. ;)
    It really is a strange thing to omit, though!
    They have a video...most people don’t screenshot winners and post them.
    edited October 2019
    There's a whole twitch stream to peruse at your convenience.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Huh, so this was announced Monday, and then took place on Tuesday? So what? About 24 hours notice? I found out about this on Wednesday. I wasn't planning on actually entering the contest but I was hopping to join just at the end as I've missed out on Dev tokens for every single costume contest that Cryptic has ever hosted. Seems the trend will continue.
  • meneshmenesh Posts: 54 Arc User
    Contest was fun, devs had a good laugh at my evil red eyed bunny slippers. I'm happy.
    24hr notice? Who said they needed one?

It was 4 zones....someone got the message.
    24hr notice? Who said they needed one?

It was 4 zones....someone got the message.
    I made my costume a week early!

I mean this is one of those events you don't really need to have announced. The category was vague and pretty obvious.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Wrote a ticket about not getting dev tokens... but the help guys wrote back saying devs deal with those, and that they have nothing to do with it.
    edited November 2019
    vonqball wrote: »
    Wrote a ticket about not getting dev tokens... but the help guys wrote back saying devs deal with those, and that they have nothing to do with it.

Start a new thread about it here on the forums asking all those who attended but didn't get one to put down their @handles.

It might help the devs to hand them out to those they missed.

:)
    zrdRBy8.png