test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcement: Hero Games Community Content Program: Hall of Champions

Hey everyone,

As frequenters to this part of the forums include no few fans of the tabletop Champions game, I thought this announcement by Hero Games publisher Jason Walters might be of some interest.

Hero Games will be launching a fan-driven community content program on DriveThruRPG in about a month, similar to Dungeon Masters Guild and Storytellers Vault. It’s going to be called Hall of Champions, and it will allow you to publish your own work on DriveThru for profit under the banner of being a Hero Games product. (Though solely for commercial purposes on DriveThruRPG.) You’ll be allowed to publish using any version of the Hero System you like from 1st to 6th, including Champions Now. You will also be allowed to use both intellectual property that belongs to Hero Games, as well as the Champions Universe, which belongs to Cryptic Studios. The program will supply artwork and templates to work from to make the entire process as easy as possible.

To being with, what I’m looking for are some initial fan contributions from you guys so that we have a certain number of products ready to go at launch. I’ve already received commitments from two of our third party publishers, but could use a bunch more from fans. There are (of course) significant rules governing the community content program, which I will share with you should you contact me. If you have work you would like to contribute, it needs only be in PDF form and have a JPEG cover image available. (This can simply be a copy of the front page.)

Thank you as always for playing the Hero System, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jason Walters, Publisher

jason@herogames.com

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    This sounds cool.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Hmmmm interesting...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Hmmmm interesting...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Oh, man - I wish I still had my books. Guess I'll have to try to get the latest edition sometime, and write up "The Magna Carta" again. (I still remember the outline, and some particularly nice - and less than nice - player moments with it, but not enough details to publish the adventure.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Back in 3rd. ed. I wrote up a huge amount of material related to my campaign-based subterranean realm (pattered after MU Atlantis). Makes me wonder if Hero ever created its on subterranean world,
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Back in 3rd. ed. I wrote up a huge amount of material related to my campaign-based subterranean realm (pattered after MU Atlantis). Makes me wonder if Hero ever created its on subterranean world,

Well, sort of, as a setting for its Pulp Hero game line; although that "Inner-Earth" isn't carried over into other books detailing the official Hero Universe: https://www.herogames.com/store/product/279-inner-earth-pdf/

A substantial part of the Champions realm of Lemuria is underground, the abode of the Lemurians' Mole Men slaves who do most of the work to keep Lemurian civilization functioning (as detailed in Hidden Lands). No maps for that, though. Likewise none for the cavern-dwelling intelligent gorillas who make up Africa's hidden "Kingdom of the Apes," briefly described in Champions Universe and Champions Universe: News Of The World.

The Turakian Age setting has "the Sunless Realms," analogous to the Underdark from D&D. It's rather superficially described in the TA source book, but there are no maps of that either, or relating of specific groups to particular areas beneath the surface-world map, with a couple of exceptions.

Back for Fourth Edition Hero, an adventure called Invaders from Below created a realm inhabited by humanoid "Subterrans," which does include detailed descriptions and maps. As you can see from the cover, it takes considerable inspiration from Marvel Comics' Mole Man and his followers: https://www.herogames.com/store/product/650-invaders-from-below-pdf-4th-edition/
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Heh! How did they get away with that cover? Such a rip off of the Fantastic Four :)

Well, I guess Prince Keerg the Subearther, ruler of Subterranea, will live only in my mind (though he is in CO).
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Back for Fourth Edition Hero, an adventure called Invaders from Below created a realm inhabited by humanoid "Subterrans, which does include detailed descriptions and maps. As you can see from the cover, it takes considerable inspiration from Marvel Comics' Mole Man and his followers: https://www.herogames.com/store/product/650-invaders-from-below-pdf-4th-edition/

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Not necessarily. :) Steve Long thought there was room for his Inner-Earth on this planet, and if it's not on official Champions Earth that leaves a vacancy. As long as your Subterranea doesn't fill the whole planet, you should be good. ;) But beyond that, even though there's an official setting for the PnP game, most Champions publications are expected to be modular. Individual Game Masters lift whatever elements they want to fit into their own campaigns. This fan publication project allows you to use the Champions IP, but doesn't require it. So you could write up Subterranea as something distinct from the Champions Universe, and still get it published.

The project I'm working on is based on the IP, but I'm doing my best to also make it modular so it can be dropped into almost any superhero setting with little effort.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    The cover falls under fair-use parody, as made explicit by the guy lying on the ground, thinking, "Haven't I seen this somewhere before?" :lol:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!