test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paladin healer dps or healer off tank

yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
Any ideas how to make a either style paladin? Kind of like a pladin in WOW. Maybe a retribution style pali?

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    CO's HW anims may be a bit too slow and weighty for it, but I guess it's the best fit for the core attacks. Here's one possible way to go about it, taking a more dps-oriented approach w/ some mild support options (ie. a Ret pally, I assume):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Cleave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Enrage
    Level 11: Pulverizer
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Skewer (Rank 2, Rank 3, Follow Through)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Decimate
    Level 29: Guard (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Illumination (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ascension (Rank 2, Judgment)
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Setup (2/2)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Taps of Arc can apply and refresh No Quarter, while the main single-target rotation is to alternate between Cleave and charged Skewer (you could use Skullcrusher or Annihilate instead of Skewer, perhaps if you like their anims more). Charged Arc and Cleave can be used for general AoE as well. Illum and Ascension were added for theme, but there is some synergy between them w/ Ascension's adv. The last power slot can be w/e ya want (maybe an ally heal, or a type of res, or something like Pillar of Poz w/ Jinx adv, etc). I tried not to make the build too similar to a normal HW setup that just centers around Annihilate, and hopefully it still works out. Gears mostly for Str, w/ some Con and Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    Well, let's start with the basics:

Off-Tank:
    Tanks require Con as a SS. It doesn't have to be primary SS, but it does need to be in the mix.
    Healers want Pre as a SS. It doesn't have to be primary, but it does need to be in the mix AND reasonably stacked. That's because...

Form: Compassion is pretty much required, and runs on PRE.

Slotted Passive choice: No up-front SS requirements. Some defensive passives are more picky than others. (A Dodge Tank probably can't also be a healer and do both jobs well). Both Invulnerability and Defiance would work fine. Regen works for OT (but doesn't really benefit from your Pre SS or healing focus).

Now, making this a 'Paladin' shouldn't be that hard, as neither your passive nor your form pre-dispose you to any particular type of attacks. (Nor will your role, which should likely be Protector). EU may be a bit trickier, since your options for Pre-driven ones are limited, but many EUs can probably function with relatively low stat investment (and frequently have).

DPS:
    This is actually easier than OTs in some senses, and harder in other senses.

Let's start with Pre as PSS. It's not a bad choice for dps. You'll want to combo it with Dex as a SSS. You can get pretty decent crit chance this way (although if you want good crit severity you'll have to make spec tree choices and gear choices which optimize for this, which conflicts with your secondary gear imperative, offense, so you might need to accept trade-offs, because offense from gear -> +heal% via a pre spec).

Speaking of which, Form: Compassion is a high likelihood. Note, however, that if you want to focus more on the dps, you could stack a secondary SS (good for Pre-specs you'll want anyway), take a more damage-focused form, and rely on offense to get +heal% increases. You'll be a worse healer, but deal better damage.

You can probably make heal/dps work without pre as PSS. But you'll be looking at builds where you stack a secondary SS, since you'll definitely want Compassion in those cases. I believe Str and Dex can both work in this mode.

Now, as DPS, you do care more about knowing whether you're melee or ranged, because of role choice. Your slotted passive will likely also contribute to this. If you want a Pre-based EU, your options are limited. (That said, Ego Form is remarkably accommodating of certain melee/ranged hybrids).

If you still want to be sturdy, Pre/dex/con can certainly work, but it requires making your eu revolve around Pre, and thus making particular build choices that make this functional.
    edited October 2019
    I guess I'll give a version that is more of a melee Support w/ some dps and sturdiness (not a formal tank, but could take some hits in casual content). I went w/ a futuristic Paladin using Laser Sword here- cause I think the anims are good for the look, I wanted to try a build w/ Arbiter Mastery (and a combo-heavy rotation w/ Plasma Cutter can fit the bill), and Particle Wave has some cross-support utility anyways:

Lightsword-adin - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
    Level 6: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 9: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Lightspeed Strike (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
    Level 6: Unified Theory
    Level 8: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Compassion
    Level 14: Particle Wave (Illuminate, Bad Footing)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 20: Lightwave Slash (Rank 2, Light Mend)
    Level 23: Expulse (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Plasma Cutter (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Indestructible
    Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Redemption (Rank 2, Salvation)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
    Arbiter: Honor (2/2)
    Arbiter: Preservation (1/2)
    Mastery: Arbiter Mastery (1/1)

Lightspeed Strike is your basic melee attack that procs Arby's Roast Beef Mastery and stacks PBurn, and you can use Plasma Cutter when you reach 5x PBurn. Particle Wave can debuff (mainly for Illumination here) and help clump up trash, while Lightwave Slash can be your main AoE attack (which also CC's). Expulse can deal some minor AoE dmg and lay down a healing rune for you and nearby allies (could be Pillar of Poz instead, if you like the instant-cast aspect and/or look better). I threw in R3 Iniquity, just in case you need a more normal ally heal to fall back on for support. The build can play in either Support or Hybrid roles, depending on what you want to focus on. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and End (or Dex).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
    Tyvm both of you. This def. Lays a solid base for me to try on pts. Sorry for such a short reply . Getting on a flight headed back to the states.
    No problem. Enjoy your flight (and the builds).
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I have a paladin that uses absorb heat with heavy weapons, an aura and compassion. There isn't really much reason to be a melee healer, but absorb heat can heal a group of nearby allies for a heft amount, and is pretty short range. So, it's one of the few powers that actually combines melee range with a healing payoff.

You could use heavy weapons, or reaper's caress with the new(ish) clinging flames advantage to get that swordplay + healing combo that defines the paladin.
  • yannbiosyannbios Posts: 51 Arc User
    Decided to go offtank healer. Melee support ive been trying and not reslly appealing to me mw much. Just fugring out powers i wanna use now and may hey radiant aura of protection vs invul so team benefits while im off tanking. Built correctly i should be able to easily support heal or be main healer in a TA. Mostly cc offtank healers fill that role.