test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I WANT YOU!! Help me decide my next new suggested Power Set

speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Champions Online Discussion
I'll be absolutely frank, I am not entirely sure where to make this thread. I feel like General Discussion is the best place for it since it, itself, does not fit the Suggestion Box thread archetype.

I am very pleased with the state of my Munitions update thread. The community has been a tremendous help with wonderful feedback and fresh suggestions.

I want to take (another) stab at making an entirely new power set framework from the ground up. I had originally tried before with a new Particle Projection framework which would use lasers and radiation to dish out damage... but the blasted forums ate the thread!

CURRENT TO-DO LIST
(As of 10/24/19)
Sword and Shield - A framework for a newly proposed Weaponmaster power category straight from the P&P game!
Alien Physiology - Themed around the use of organic attack powers and adaptive armor for any situation, for the Brick category.
Advanced Munitions - Including laser, plasma, and gauss weaponry for the Technology category.
But I digress! What sort of new frameworks would you guys like to see? Currently on my mind are the following potential sets:
  • Ensorcellment (Enchantment items and wards)
  • Shaman/Soothsayer (Potions, poisons, alchemy, and wild magic)
  • Elementalism (Self-explanatory I hope!)
  • Brawling (A sort of "boxing" framework independent of Might)
  • Whips
  • Spears
  • Robotics (A more "specific" take on Power Armor)

CURRENTLY COMPLETED

More detailed proposed framework summaries:
    Ensorcellment
    Enchanted weapons, divine artifacts, arcane tombs, and scrolls all lend themselves well not only to a heroic setting, but to a framework revolving around Champions Online's already robust Magic power category. Picture flaming swords and ghostly heater shields being utilized in combat. Ideally, I imagine many artifact-based powers to be charge/tap abilities to complement the plethora of maintain attacks already within the existing magical frameworks. Ensorcellment presents a great opportunity for very dramatic power animations, as well: holding up a glowing amulet, reading from an unraveled scroll, and pulling magical equipment and items through portals and runes!
    Shaman/Soothsayer (Working name...)
    This framework is meant to represent another approach to more physically inclined magic. It would incorporate things like bottled potions, potent poisons, and magic of a more feral and wild nature. Think of this set as the ideal druid experience blending alchemy and spiritual magic together. This could present a great opportunity for additional controllable pets and possibly even some kinds of limited player transformation!
    Elementalist
    I love the Energy Projection frameworks as they are already. Electricity, Fire, and Ice projection all feel dynamic and powerful in their own creative ways. That said, I would like to attempt to mix them all together into a framework that is not specifically rooted in magic. Elementalist here would likely require an entirely new category of powers itself, one I've tentatively dubbed "Manipulation". (Heck, even Earth could be moved to this new category if people would like for it to be separated from Brick.) Anyway, Elementalist is meant to utilize fire, water, ice, electricity, and the Earth itself to debilitate foes and embolden allies. This would be a complex framework with many overlapping powers within its tiers in order to enable true experimentation and player creativity.
    Brawling
    Much like my adoration of the existing Energy Projection category, I already believe that Martial Arts and Brick (to a lesser extent) are fulfilled categories that provide tremendous thematic variety. That being said, there isn't really a place for non super strength based unsophisticated hand-to-hand combat. Brawling, much like Elementalism, would likely require an entirely new power category slotting nicely between Martial Arts as a whole and Brick. I've tentatively titled this new category "Fighter", though "Combat" or "Combatant" may be more accurate names. Now imagine a hypothetical combination of Unarmed and Might formed into a sort of boxing framework. Brawling would utilize weighty punches, powerful kicks, and potentially even some kind of throw/grapple mechanic.
    Whips
    Whips hold a place in the pop-culture thanks to the likes of Catwoman and Indiana Jones. Naturally, I think they'd fit nicely into the exciting gameplay of Champions Online. This framework would be all about very fast click attacks to deliver light but rapidly building damage. Charges and maintains could represent more specialized techniques but would likely be used sparingly to preserve the overall theme in my mind. Think of whips as a sort of "intermediate" range set that builds upon melee damage.
    Spears
    Similar to Whips, Spears are frequently seen in comics and other media. From Odin's Gungnir to Proxima Midnight's star spear, it is high time our heroes have a go at polearm combat! Spears would enact a sort of "long range" melee focused build and involve slower but more deliberate attacks than the usual gamut of existing frameworks. This is also holds great potential for "throwing weapons" in the form of javelins and pikes! I imagine that Spears would also nicely fit into the newly created "Fighter"/"Combatant" category.
    Robotics (Working name...
    This framework represents the more mechanical approach to power armor's "squishy insides" theme. With less realistic restraint present, we can contemplate some truly spectacular abilities. From a flaming overcharge to advanced projectile weapons extending from our forearms, the potential is inspiring! Also, come on... we *really* could use a self destruct power........

Thanks for your time and any potential conversation, readers!

EDIT: I've added comprehensive summaries to my own suggested frameworks above. Feel free to read about them in the drop-down "spoiler" menu. :)
Post edited by speanoz on

Comments