test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heavy Weapons + some Darkness Tank

Hey everyone, looking to improve my (off-)tanky HW build.
I know Regen is frowned upon for endgame purposes but I'm planning on replacing CoPD with Moonstruck w/ Moonlight advantage once I unlock it, so that should improve tanking performance somewhat.
I assume Pre does boost Regen? Otherwise I'll take Rec or Int instead

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=33&n=&d=11360D236KPY000000L004LO03LA04LB00H603ON00LC03HA0aHI07C800OA03HF03OQ00MR031rWF02no3SXZ30000000000&e=

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Yea, Pres and bonus healing don't innately boost Regen. As a slotted passive, Regen scales w/ SS's and rank, like any normal slotted passive does (Pres can still scale it up if it's SS'd, but there's no special interaction there beyond that).

Anyways, you chose an MA form/toggle in FotTiger, but you didn't SS Dex for it. I'd prob also pass on Darkness's ult, and maybe also on Rebirth (guess it depends if you don't have Recovery devices and/or die often enough as an off-tank). Also, Spirit Reverb only procs upon dealing Dimensional dmg w/ Fear, so your HW attacks won't naturally do that. You could still maybe make SReverb work if you had something like Soul Vortex or DCollpase going on in the background (latter is prob more reliable, since it can guarantee Fear and has a higher Fear proc rate; also Moonstruck already can supply a healing rune). I'd also skip on ranking the energy builder, and I may actually try to use Enrage and Annihilate as the single-target attack instead, since it can proc Enrage even when tapped, if you have to block quickly, and cause Enrage already scales w/ Str.

Here's how I may edit it, trying to keep a Darkness and HW mix, and assuming you'll eventually get Moonstruck.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Dimensional Collapse (Glimpse of the Abyss, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Enrage
    Level 20: Annihilate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Guard (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Indestructible (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Moonstruck (Moonlight)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

Open power slots can be w/e ya want, though you don't have many free adv points left here.

If you want to trade some dps for better defenses, you could swap Vind spec for Warden + Elusive. You could also prob make do w/ Pulverizer as the EU instead of SReverb, though some Darkness attacks don't knock either.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • lun4cy#3055 lun4cy Posts: 14 Arc User
    Ty flow, I'll go with that and get Life Drain & Shadow Shroud for the 2 open slots.
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Yea, Pres and bonus healing don't innately boost Regen. As a slotted passive, Regen scales w/ SS's and rank, like any normal slotted passive does (Pres can still scale it up if it's SS'd, but there's no special interaction there beyond that).
    Hm, that's a shame, so it isn't really considered as healing.

About Annihilate, tbh I only picked Skewer over it because with the Scythe skin for HW from Bloodmoon which I was going to use, Annihilate makes it clip awkwardly into the ground and also the fire vfx gets messed up, but that's ofc a weak argument.

Shadow Reverb I was going to proc with my energy builder toggled on (that's why I also picked the Despondency adv which seems to scale w/ STR), but I agree Dim. Collapse would be a better choice.

While testing just now, I could also stack Enrage by just tapping Arc of Ruin w/ Wildfire + Dim.C every so often, so Pulverizer might work fine if I take Shadow Shroud at the lvl 6 slot.
    I get the anim/theme arguments for choosing Skewer, but it would be a bit harder to build around it for a tank that could have to block often. Not to say that you couldn't make it work, ofc, just that the alternative w/ Enrage and Annihilate is easier to adapt. Pulverizer could also work, though I may still stick to SReverb if using DCollapse, as Pulv does have a stack mechanic to it. It's up to you, though.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    That new Cthulhu head got me thinking of a HW + Darkness tank build. Wondering how this would work? HW is to provide the damage while Darkness provides some utilities. I understand that Skullcrusher is not as good as Annihilate, but I already use that on a straight HW tank and a HW dps, so I must do something different to avoid boredom ;) Sure wish there was an HW Ultimate.

Captain Cthulhu - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Protector (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 15: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Dark Tether (Work Up)
    Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Pulverizer
    Level 14: Skullcrusher (Rank 2, Rank 3, Put Them Down)
    Level 17: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Challenge!)
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Indestructible (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Enrage (Giant Growth)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3, Commanding Presence)
    Level 38: Dimensional Collapse (Glimpse of the Abyss, Challenge!)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Stoic Flight

Specializations
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited October 2019
    That new Cthulhu head got me thinking of a HW + Darkness tank build. Wondering how this would work? HW is to provide the damage while Darkness provides some utilities. I understand that Skullcrusher is not as good as Annihilate, but I already use that on a straight HW tank and a HW dps, so I must do something different to avoid boredom ;) Sure wish there was an HW Ultimate.
    It can work fine, though if Arc is going to be your main melee AoE then I'd prob get the KD adv- just for the ease of use w/ Enrage. You can always take a rank off of the ult or something for it. You may not really need DCollapse then, though I suppose having a ranged AoE tag that also has Challenge can be nice. Also, keep in mind that the shared AD cd is the same as the base cd now, so you don't necc need 2 ADs- unless you wanted to choose between Resurgence and a mitigation cd for different contexts.
    Yes, I've wondered about taking the 2 ADs, but they do have slightly different uses and I honestly have trouble coming up with something that would be more useful (especially if I scavenge the 2 adv points for Arc of Ruin). I used to take lunges for tanks, but they don't tend to be all that useful in most end game content. Kind of tired of taking Sonic Device or Toxic Nanites for lack of anything better. We need a few more on-next-hit powers in the impending Gadgeteering revamp ;) Maybe a self res?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Up to you, man. I can't really say for sure what else would help you since it'll just depend on what types of things you experience in-game and what your playstyle is- and that can be highly individualized. As usual, keeping the wild-card power for last does mean easier retraining of it, at least.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to any Gadgeteering revamp- just to see what sort of crazy things they could do w/ it.
    Played around a bit in the PH and this seemed to work pretty well. Swapped the EU and put Endorphin Rush as the last power to make changes easier (instead of Indestructible). Went with Skewer since the tether, Arc of Ruin and Dimensional Collapse provide enough knocks to keep Enrage rolling. Skewer also looks good with the trident weapon skin, which I have been wanting to use ;) At least it is a pretty quick charge. I finally have my aquatic "hero(?)"

Cthulhos - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Protector (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 15: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Dark Tether (Work Up)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Dimensional Collapse (Glimpse of the Abyss, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Enrage (Giant Growth)
    Level 20: Skewer (Rank 2, Rank 3, Follow Through)
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3, Commanding Presence)
    Level 38: Endorphin Rush
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Stoic Flight

Specializations
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited October 2019
    Sounds pretty good overall, as long as it plays smoothly. If you want more ranks for ERush, then you could move them in from the Ult, since I'd mainly be taking UR here for the cheap 1-pt threat adv.