test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Munitions: A Second Helping

speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Suggestions Box
Having looked over Jebidiah's fantastic single pistol powers thread and also having long contemplated my own "what ifs" with powers and frameworks, I have decided I would like to start a grandiose adventure of future additions to Champions Online's epic power selection.

I'd like to preface that I have played Champions Online for nine years and have some passing familiarity with the original pen-and-paper material from Hero Games. Some of my suggestions here may be asinine, redundant, or entirely out of place. I will admit that I do not know every single advantage name or even some power names! Nonetheless, I'd like to share with you all some of my ideas on how to expand one of my favorite power sets within the game, that being Munitions.

Munitions - A Second Helping
Munitions in its current state is already quite rewarding and enjoyable. There is a fairly large selection of abilities to choose from and also a healthy amount of overlap to provide variety. Steady Shot and Gunslinger are both awesome energy builders. Submachine Gun and Bullet Hail are mechanically identical and yet distinct with vivid animations. The powers that I will now propose are meant to fill in some gaps, flesh out a power tier, represent a currently unavailable firearm type, and/or provide additional alternatives to existing powers already in-game.

Bare Bear in mind that these suggestions are in no particular order (as of yet) and have no defined numerical variables -- as I will leave those to others more qualified than myself. :p

Without further ado, let us begin this second helping!
Magnum Pistol
The Magnum Pistol is meant to represent a unique chance for Munitions to have a ranged combo attack. As a whole, the Magnum Pistol is a six shot combo wherein every shot does more damage than the last. The energy cost and damage increments could vary drastically depending on how authentically we want to portray the "most powerful handgun in the world". Advantage names should surely take -- heh -- advantage of the plethora of pop-culture references surrounding the mythos of this type of firearm. Titles such as "Do I Feel Lucky?", "Did I Fire Five Shots or Six?", "Tombstone", "The Lawman", and "Your Move..." could provide some entertaining references!
Grenade Launcher
With the somewhat recent changes made to the Rocket Launcher, I propose a ranged explosive alternative that does not have an attached cooldown. Grenade Launcher would likely do damage lower than its counterpart, the Frag Grenade, but perhaps have a different range and be more "spammable" to reflect the nature of revolving chamber launchers.
Volley Fire
Single pistol attacks have been oft suggested for as long as Steady Shot has existed. Many of these suggestions have been wonderfully thought-out and planned, so my own contributions will be fairly minor. That being said, Volley Fire could very well use the pre-existing single pistol semi-auto fire abilities/animations already used heavily in-game by VIPER, ARGENT, and more. This would likely be a very low tier (0?) ability to help flesh out the early Munitions power drought.
Combat Training by Panthrax77
This would be a support passive that does three things: increases the healing received for allies within 20(ish)ft of you, provides the user with AoE resistance, and decreases threat generation. This would allow for essentially a melee support character to be able to stay in the thick of the action and make the most out of short ranged heals. Not only would this synergize well with the Stim Injector power suggested, but drain AoE heals such as life essence as well.
Stim Injector
I believe that an interesting way to go about a potential Munitions heal power would be a jet injector akin to what real world militaries use to administer aid in the field. This could function as a self-heal or heal an ally depending on the present target. An injector gun has such tremendous potential for advantages offering a wide variety of buffs and other benefits, too! I think that this power, combined with Resurrection Serum, would be pivotal for a combat medic role in-game.
Artillery Salvo (Ultimate)
Shock-and-awe, baby! The ultimate gun is a gun that is too big to carry! This charge-up ultimate ability would find the player radioing in coordinates for an artillery barrage on his or her unfortunate foes. In my head, I imagine this ability as a large AoE that requires a full charge-up period. Towards the end of the "charge", perhaps the report of distant artillery fire can be heard, too! After a slight delay the ground would be shaken with enormous explosions that lay waste to any victims that were at the wrong place at the wrong time!
Anti-Materiel Rifle (Ultimate)
I must admit that I am quite smitten with Might's new "single"-target ultimate, Final Punch. The introduction of a "solo ultimate" power opens a proverbial floodgate of new possibilities for other power sets! Anti-Materiel Rifle would be the Final Punch of the Munitions set and would deal a devastating blow to whatever poor soul is on the receiving end of its barrel. Maybe, like Final Punch, it would be empowered by and consume all currently active Concentration stacks in order to add a depth of risk-versus-reward with its use.
Stun Gun
This ability likely requires little explanation. It would deal minimal electrical damage and could possibly stun, paralyze, or disorient a single foe. It would have minimal range and likely reflect a fairly minor energy cost. Perhaps these factors would be justified with a mandatory charge-up period?
Battle Rifle
Last but not least, I present my counter to the ubiquitous Assault Rifle. The Battle Rifle could be a largely tap-based charge attack or a maintain ability itself, and would deal ample damage to a single target. It would boast impressive range and could be bolstered by advantages that represent specialized ammunition usage. Overall, I picture the Battle Rifle as a suitable alternative to the Assault Rifle, dealing more damage but less frequently than its counterpart.
Three Round Burst by Spinnytop
A brief charge-up period is followed up by a quick burst of fire. This attack would use the assault rifle's model and available customization. Perhaps there could be an innate damage buff for every burst made in order to encourage frequent burst fire... or maybe said boost could be chosen through an advantage.
Aim Down Sights[/b] by Spinnytop
FPS gurus will recognize the ubiquitous "ADS"! Another fast charge-up attack that, instead, deals one tick of fairly moderate damage. Once more, this would utilize the assault rifle's physical model. Together with Three Round Burst and Assault Rifle itself, these three abilities would form the crux of a "select fire" weapon theme. I particularly see this power as having great potential for "specialized ammo" advantages to prolong its use into endgame and beyond!
Slug Shot inspired by Spinnytop and Vonqball
The player-base is right: Munitions needs a heaving hitting "alpha strike". I propose Slug Shot to fill that late-game role! This power would be a single-target charge-up attack that would deal exceptional damage and likely outright "one-hit" lesser foes. Slug Shot would have a relatively high energy cost to counter its incredible damage and, much like other currently in-game "nuke" strikes, may involve sacrificing some kind of active buff or encourage tapping instead of fully charges. Unlike the regular Shotgun ability that this is based upon, this would be a fairly long range power.
Impact Ballistic Shield
There are already police riot shields in-game as we speak, but those aren't exactly what I am talking about. I like the idea of a rankable impact shield that is "taken out" when the block button is used and then put away shortly afterward when not in use, much like the various melee deflection block powers. Honestly, I've no idea how a customization system would work for this.... would it behave like a traditional in-game weapon and appear in the character tailor menu along with appropriately rendered color channels and appearance options? Or, would it instead use a system much like the pet choice system already in-game, incorporating a drop-down menu within the powers selection tab? The latter could utilize benefits from ranking unlocking additional models, but the former would be much preferred to the general playerbase, methinks. Additionally, Ballistic Shield could provide additional piercing and slashing resistance than other shields.

Dropped Ideas
Ballistic Armor
I do not want to delve too much into passives, toggles, or other innate powers that Munitions already very well covers. However, I would like there to be another defensive passive ability beneath the Technology framework, and Ballistic Armor here feels like a good opportunity to offer just that! I imagine that, unlike Invulnerability or Defiance, Ballistic Armor would solely revolve around mitigating most physical damage types like Piercing, Crushing, Slashing, and Fire to less extent. I've got my own "ballistics tank" already present in-game and would totally use Ballistic Armor as his passive!

Loose Ideas
  • Consider adopting an ammunition system depicted through the in-game energy mechanic?
  • Revisit currently proposed powers for additional advantage/talent options.
  • Perhaps create additional low-tier fluff powers to expand variety at lower levels?
  • Create a HMG or LMG based attack. (Yet another maintain...?)
  • Possibly plan out an "auto cannon" high-damage/high-cost late-game maintain? (Another one.......)
  • Contemplate other esoteric gun-based abilities, a-la support role.
  • Develop some kind of "ammo swap" ability where a single full maintain or charge-up deals an additional sub-type of damage. (How feasible is this in Champions Online right now?)

Update History
10/13/19: Added Spinny's excellent alternate assault rifle powers. (Aim Down Sight and Three Round Burst)
10/9/19: Incorporated in-thread feedback. Thanks posters! Removed Ballistic Armor and added it to a new "unsupported/dropped ideas" section.
9/29/19: Initial version. Editing pass. Added Update History and Loose Ideas drop-downs. Added "Riot" Shield block power.

That is all that I have for now. I may add more "stuff" or modify what thoughts I have already provided thus far. I hope you have enjoyed reading and pondering my suggestions, and I sincerely hope you add your own feedback, commentary, or criticism!
Post edited by speanoz on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    These all sound neat. Except for Ballistic Armor. The idea of a defensive passive that suddenly disappears because an enemy is using one of the many other damage types seems super gimped.

The idea of a power having "ammo" is interesting, and something that other games have done. i.e. you can use a power X times, and then it goes on cooldown. I wonder if they could do something like that in CO. Could even add something to Lock'n'Load like an Advantage that instantly takes all 'reloading' powers off cooldown.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    I quite enjoyed specialized armors in other games of this nature but completely understand the disinterest. Thematic armor has been such a cool concept to me for the very reason you listed it being detrimental, heh.

I do very much like the ammo consumption idea. To my understanding, I always "figured" that total energy represented our available ammunition pool and that the energy builder symbolized the prior weapon being "holstered", so to speak, in order to reload.

I actually have a much larger idea revolving around a munitions "set" that uses "ammo" for energy, but that is less relevant to Champions and more a byproduct of contemplating my own similar gaming experience.

I appreciate your comments and critique. :)
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I really like your suggestions! I think they're pretty practical and useful for a powerset that can feel pretty stale in it's current form.

While I find the idea of specialized armor interesting, I think it would be hard to implement in the current meta of the game.

Alternatively, your idea for a melee heal has inspired a different passive I think could work instead with a more supporty twist:

Combat Training:
    This would be a support passive that does three things: increases the healing received for allies within 20(ish)ft of you, provides the user with AoE resistance, and decreases threat generation. This would allow for essentially a melee support character to be able to stay in the thick of the action and make the most out of short ranged heals. Not only would this synergize well with the Stim Injector power suggested, but drain AoE heals such as life essence as well.
    panthrax77 wrote: »
    Combat Training:

I appreciate your feedback! Combat Training sounds pretty awesome. I may just add that to my overall list, with your blessing.
  • This sounds like an improved version of The Soldier AT with upgraded powers. However, I feel you somewhat missed the point of my thread's concept. Our choices for guns in CO are currently either Rambo or Equilibrium/The Matrix, so the character you create is somewhat limited to these two archetypes. There isn't much room to stray from those comparisons even though there are many different types of heroes who use guns. For example, we have a whole event dedicated to the old West with the yearly High Noon missions, but thematically there aren't many powers to choose from to create a cowboy-style gunslinger. Burst Shot and Showdown would work fine, but every other pistol power would seem out of place if chosen in a Freeform build.

Spins/flips/rolls/cartwheels aren't what you picture when you think of spaghetti Western films. Powers like Two Gun Mojo and Lead Tempest and Bullet Ballet aren't the sort of things you see in a Sergio Leone movie, which is why I have requested for years that we receive a pistol fanning maintain attack power, and the dual pistol root attack power that Black Hats and ASCII Oakley use (I refer to it as "Dance Fool, Dance!" because that's what the robots say when activating it). I have a cowboy hero who looks fantastic but I dislike his powerset since it just doesn't feel like a good fit for the concept.

Another character I have is a detective who has no superpowers. There aren't any powers that will match the concept sadly; Steady Shot is the only single pistol attack power we have, and Might powers send enemies careening through the air which is unrealistic for someone who is not a metahuman. So for now the character is a costume placeholder only. One reason I requested more single pistol attacks is because Primus soldiers in burst alerts use these against villains. The hard work of creating new animations is already done, devs already recycle existing animations to turn into new powers so in theory it would be simple to port them over for us to use.

If any of your proposed attack powers should be a combo, I would suggest it be Grenade Launcher. It would be fitting to have to repeatedly tap the button to mimic the heavy trigger pull of that weapon should it be created. Volley Fire could be like the reskin of the Gunslinger's Legacy device, and there is already an existing Taser device as well. Another idea someone proposed was to have an energy builder for rifle-type guns such as Assault Rifle. In any case, i'm fairly confident devs are done with Munitions for now, they already nerfed it multiple times and will most likely move onto other powersets. Still, it's always nice to bring new ideas to the table in hopes of them seeing it.
    If any of your proposed attack powers should be a combo, I would suggest it be Grenade Launcher. It would be fitting to have to repeatedly tap the button to mimic the heavy trigger pull of that weapon should it be created.
    Y'know, it's funny you should mention that because originally the concept was applied to grenade launcher until I came up with my own revolver-specific attack power. I could definitely see a combo mechanic applied directly to the grenade launcher and it being appropriate and seamless.

I appreciate your feedback and am well aware that Munitions has had its rework and then some. Still, I'm optimistic that more can be done with it since other frameworks and power sets in general have some degree of overlapping "variety powers".

I had originally intended to add a lot more single pistol powers but opted against doing so since you've already more than adequately fulfilled that suggestion need. :)
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    What munition needs is some high damage powers with cooldowns to weave into the current attacks. Right now the best ranged rotation is 2GM and Frag grenade, total snorefest... and the dps of that isn't anything to write home about.
  • I want my Dirty Harry/Death Wish handcannon power, a heavy ranged tap with a cooldown that does 100% chance to knock upon impact. Plooie.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    speanoz wrote: »
    I appreciate your feedback! Combat Training sounds pretty awesome. I may just add that to my overall list, with your blessing.

Feel free! ^^

What Munitions really needs is a big nuke. Currently it doesn't have one. What I mean is something like Ebon Ruin, Defile, etc that would work good as something to consume Preemptive Strike. Dual Shotgun Blast where you fire two shotguns at the same time might be cool :D
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What Munitions really needs is a big nuke. Currently it doesn't have one. What I mean is something like Ebon Ruin, Defile, etc that would work good as something to consume Preemptive Strike. Dual Shotgun Blast where you fire two shotguns at the same time might be cool :D
    I was working on a comprehensive new framework called Particle Projection for the Energy Projector category of powers. I had put about four hours into typing out the thread and all its contents, but the forums "ate" the thread. Needless to say, I was very displeased.

Alas, I had plans for a proper "nuke" as one of the last few powers available for the set....
    I was working on a comprehensive new framework called Particle Projection for the Energy Projector category of powers. I had put about four hours into typing out the thread and all its contents, but the forums "ate" the thread. Needless to say, I was very displeased.

Alas, I had plans for a proper "nuke" as one of the last few powers available for the set....

Yeah if you're making a big post you wanna make sure to copy that thing into a .txt file before you hit the Post Comment button u3u
    edited October 2019
    Yeah if you're making a big post you wanna make sure to copy that thing into a .txt file before you hit the Post Comment button u3u
    Indeed. Lesson surely learned. I had fully covered all tier one options including a new block, active offense, and toggle form as well... was beginning to get through tier two abilities. Alas!

EDIT: Still thinking about potentially creating an "enchantment" framework from the ground up, at least. It would utilize potions, enchanted relics, and a few spells to sling around.

Thassa good point actually. Too bad sniper rifle and rocket launcher are so restrictive. They both seem like obvious fits for a muni nuke... but they have been relegated to niche rolls due to restrictive mechanics.

You two raise good points. Spinny's idea of two shotguns feels appropriately action hero-y; very hammy, over-the-top, impractical, and awesome.

I like both the sniper rifle and rocket launcher where they are, but do think they could benefit from some minor tweaks. I think sniper rifle should have a shorter charge-up period but still be able to be interrupted, for one.

The artillery ultimate and anti-materiel rifle are meant to fill a "nuke" sort of role, but as I said before it's a darn shame we don't have an actual nuke ability yet.
    It would be cool if the ultimate was like "We need bigger guns." Where you pull out a huge gun and make an attack, and then you get a damage boost to all munitions attacks for a bit where all your weapons are upgraded to heavier ordnance for a bit.. so like two shotguns, 2 ARs for 2gm and AR. Twin gattling guns XD

What?! I'm allowed to dream!
    Heh. That reminds me of the love/hated "Frankengun" in City of Heroes, which in turn makes me think of jack-of-all-trades weapon from 5th Element. Recently added "Ultimate Actives" could allow us to do something like you mentioned.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Yeah I'd absolutely pass on Ballistic Armor due to its limitations. Specialized damage resistance can work in games where you can easily swap out, say, a fire resist shield for an ice resist shield, but with how locked-in powers generally are...no.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    These all sound neat. Except for Ballistic Armor. The idea of a defensive passive that suddenly disappears because an enemy is using one of the many other damage types seems super gimped.
    While I find the idea of specialized armor interesting, I think it would be hard to implement in the current meta of the game.
    aesica wrote: »
    Yeah I'd absolutely pass on Ballistic Armor due to its limitations. Specialized damage resistance can work in games where you can easily swap out, say, a fire resist shield for an ice resist shield, but with how locked-in powers generally are...no.

The people have spoken! I'll be phasing out Ballistic Armor and integrating some of its properties into my proposed riot shield block ability.

I've got a bit of a "mini update" to my own Munitions Update in the works, thanks to all of your awesome feedback. :)
    aesica wrote: »

The people have spoken! I'll be phasing out Ballistic Armor and integrating some of its properties into my proposed riot shield block ability.

I've got a bit of a "mini update" to my own Munitions Update in the works, thanks to all of your awesome feedback. :)

It seems to actually be kinda difficult to think of a new, fresh Defensive Passive in this game... ._.
    I have got some ideas floating around in the 'ole brain-case, but it is indeed true that most bases have already been covered.

In the meantime, I've incorporated your feedback and updated the main post. I'm really playing around with the idea of being able to use specialized ammunition like incendiary rounds, armor piercing rounds, etc... I added it to the "loose ideas" section for now until I can work out something more solid/feasible.

Thanks again for your input! :)
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    It seems to actually be kinda difficult to think of a new, fresh Defensive Passive in this game... ._.
    That's because ultimately, a defensive passive only needs to be able to do one thing: Reduce incoming damage effectively. You can try serving it up in a bunch of different flavors like CO does (pff/invuln/defiance/regen) but when you look past all the fluff, people are going to go with whatever gets the job done best.

The reason offensive passive diversity works so well in comparison is because:

1. Limited offensive bonuses appeal to different power choices. Obviously, a lightning user doesn't gain much from way of the warrior, just like a martial arts user isn't going to get anything useful out of electric form.
    2. Secondary benefits add nice bonuses and flavor without being part of the primary role of increasing damage. Electric form's bonus to energy equilibrium, unstoppable's absorb and knock resist, shadow form's bonus healing and reduced threat, etc.

If defensive passives had gone a similar route, offering the same basic primary function (invuln-style or defiance-style damage reduction) but offered various secondary benefits that didn't have anything to do with survivability then perhaps we'd have a bit more diversity.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    New Defensive Passive: Immortality

Provides no defense, extra hp, or healing. Instead, every time you die it instantly rezzes you :#
    New Defensive Passive: Immortality

Provides no defense, extra hp, or healing. Instead, every time you die it instantly rezzes you :#
    That would sure be something! :p
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    Another (mostly) new one would be the negative version of all the defenses and buffs we have now. We have aura that raises the damage resistance of all allies around us... what about one that lowers the damage resistance of all enemies around us? We have a power that makes you really evasive... what about one that makes enemies really inaccurate (in some super games, this is called a 'bad luck aura')? We have an aura that improves your stats... what about one that lowers enemies' stats?

While it's true most of these exist in the form of debuffs or side effects on existing powers, any of them could probably be developed into a full-blown defensive passive. They don't even have to all be auras, but could be automatic retaliation effects ('anyone who attacks me is cursed by the gods!').

I think the weighted defense against one type could even be workable so long as you were free to CHANGE what it was weighted against comparatively easily. This would help you a lot when you were prepared to fight a certain kind of foe ('Of course I wore my Bat-thermal-underwear when we went up against Doctor Freeze!') but less so when surprise or more versatile enemies showed up.
    edited October 2019
    I don't want any defensive passives that provide better defenses than the current ones. In that direction lies endgame power creep. So, if you balance out having specialized defenses in some way that doesn't make you a better tank, I'm fine with it. But, I don't honestly see the point in that personally.

Still, I bet there are plenty of fun things you could do with defensive passives. Maybe "energy absorption"where taking damage increases your energy... but going over maximum energy hurts you... so you need to spend as much energy **** possible to live! XD

Orrr like "Tormentor" where you gain a dodge bonus for each stack of bleed on an attacker..somethig like that could work with chilled as a freeze-based tank.

Probably terrible ideas there... but y'know like theme-y stuff.

Not sure if that's really needed though. I would rather just see PFF get balanced than make the system more complicated.
    Thanks, Spinny! I didn't want to say anything since everybody was exchanging great ideas. :'(
    edited October 2019
    Yeah srry. I have a hard time thinking inside the box. XD

So, getting back to munitions. What about battle rifle as a charge power? Or just a tap with a fairly long animation, but does good damage? I just think we probably have enough maintains. Plus it would be a good power for various themes... bolt action, musket.. uh rail gun maybe?

The charge could be seen as aiming. Maybe add an effect (or advantage) on full charge that increases crit chance and sev... "right between the eyes" or something.

Seems alot like sniper rifle. But one you could actually use as part of a normal rotation.

A big handcannon like Beetus suggested seems fun too. Add in some over-sized techy pistol options and I would be 100% on board.
    Post edited by vonqball on
    vonqball wrote: »
    So, getting back to munitions. What about battle rifle as a charge power? Or just a tap with a fairly long animation, but does good damage? I just think we probably have enough maintains. Plus it would be a good power for various themes... bolt action, musket.. uh rail gun maybe?

A big handcannon like Beetus suggested seems fun too. Add in some over-sized techy pistol options and I would be 100% on board.
    I'm really on the fence myself with the notion of adding yet more maintains. On one hand, I feel like Munition's nuance is its maintains. The idea of "holding down the trigger" feels very thematically appropriate.

On the other hand, it has many to choose from already.

Anyway, I may think of some kind of hand cannon as well... though with a different name, of course! :p
    A charged burst attack named "Three Round Burst" that just uses the assault rifle model and animation, plus a charged 2 second attack named "Aim Down Sights" that does big damage and also uses the assault rifle model and animation would satisfy me. It would let me make a fairly complete Munitions toon that appears to only ever be holding one weapon.
    A charged burst attack named "Three Round Burst" that just uses the assault rifle model and animation, plus a charged 2 second attack named "Aim Down Sights" that does big damage and also uses the assault rifle model and animation would satisfy me. It would let me make a fairly complete Munitions toon that appears to only ever be holding one weapon.
    Those sound great! I'll incorporate those into the main suggestion post if you'd like.
    Done annnnd done!

I think the last thing I need to touch on is some kind of heavy caliber pistol "haymaker"... and then my little proposed Munitions additions should be fairly well-rounded!