test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do I use this flamethrower? *presses button, burst of flame, eyebrows ignite*

vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
I have too many dps toons. I want to diversify my portfolio a bit. I have a fire dps'er that I'd like to switch over to spamming flamethrower. So, I'm deliberatin... what is the best way to use flamethrower in a build?

The obvious thing flamethrower has going for it is the stun. So, I'm thinking sentinel mastery or straight-up cc. I like my toon's theme, and I don't want to relegate them to a very niche roll that I never get to use. And I would like him to have some value on a team.

My brainstorming efforts on this topic have been more akin to a gentle breeze. So, any good ideas out there for pyromaniacal fun-times?

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Use it with Avenger Mastery, and Shotgun. Point Flamethrower into crowd, look for frequent AM procs and spam full charge shotguns inbetween flamethrowering. Congrats, you're now the Pyro from Team Fortress! \o/
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Damnit Spinny! I'm trying to NOT make another dps. That does sound fun though... for a stunny knock-spam soloing build.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    The obvious thing flamethrower has going for it is the stun. So, I'm thinking sentinel mastery or straight-up cc. I like my toon's theme, and I don't want to relegate them to a very niche roll that I never get to use. And I would like him to have some value on a team.

Combine it with Absorb Heat to be the pyromaniacal support person you were destined to be.

How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Use it with Avenger Mastery, and Shotgun. Point Flamethrower into crowd, look for frequent AM procs and spam full charge shotguns inbetween flamethrowering. Congrats, you're now the Pyro from Team Fortress! \o/

Now hold it, we are into something 👀​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Here's one I've been testing in the PH- uses Flamethrower for AoE and CC, and still has Incinerate for decent single-target dps (though AoE w/ Flamethrower and burning effects is still meant to be the main draw):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.41:33

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Dex: 8, Con: 10, Int: 10, End: 10)
    Level 6: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Flamethrower (Rank 2, Panic)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 14: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn, Scorched Ground)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 23: Mini Mines (Stim Pack)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Fire Snake (Trail Blazer)
    Level 32: Fire Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35:
    Level 38: Meteor Blaze (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Battle of Wits (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Can take the Sentinel spec/Mastery approach if you want (less personal dps then, but boosts the support/CC aspect). You can use the free movement of Flamethrower to get up and throw Mini Mines in front of a mob, as well as simply to adjust Flamethrower's narrower cone. I took the Fire ult just to try it out- it's not amazing, but adds some burst AoE dmg and CC. Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Con and End or Dex.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    *admires Irony of using Glacier as the innate talent on a Flamethrower build*
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited September 2019
    *shrug* Its just the title to a bundle of stats. If we were to go by talent titles, a flamethrower-wielding maniac also has a Healthy Mind (lol), is an Investigator (of what? I dunno), is Accurate (with a flamethrower..), and is Acrobatic (sure, I guess?).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just ironic. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Nice brainstorming guys! Thanks for all the inputs. I'm still mulling over what role I wanna go for. An off-tank would probably fit the theme best since the character was inspired by an Starcraft Firebat... so, heavy armor and pyromania. Maybe invulnerability and sentinel mastery with absorb heat and bionic shielding for self-sustain. Not sure what super stats would work best there, Obviously con somewhere, maybe as primary. The fire unlock scales off of rec or end? How good is sentinel mastery without pre these days though?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Sentinal Mastery doesn't scale off of Pre in any way, so it does as good with it as without it. Blasting flamethrower with the stun advantage into a crowd, you're pretty much going to be unkillable thanks to sent, especially with a defensive passive. Shouldn't even need bionic shielding if you have incendiary grenade and absorb heat on top of sentinel mastery. Seems like the big challenge with this build is gonna be figuring out what to do with all the extra power points since you'll be solid way before you use them all
    Yea, Sent Mastery works off of maxHP atm. Also, TReverb scales mostly w/ End, though Fire's two toggle/forms (if you're taking one, like Fiery Will) scale w/ Rec.