test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why bother with costume contests.

as a player that went into one of these dev special contests and had left with a bad taste in my mouth. why bother with costume contests. the only reason i attempted it before was because it's the only way to get therakials heavy sword costume piece and i tried it and it left a bad taste in my mouth because i felt frustrated because i know only of how to design a character to my liking not how to please someone else. i am not savvy enough to design a appealling character to please anyone but myself. and when i tried it with a dragon character i which i enjoy just making cool dragon like characters because i just think dragons are awesome. yet when i tried and i didn't win and the wait till the next costume contest has made me a way too bitter about costume contests.
so tell me. why should wait months to a whole year for something that i have no confindance in winning because i don't know how to design a toon to please anyone but myself?

Comments

• fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    Not everyone is good at everything. It's okay! Go do the things you ARE good at! Yay! And in the mean time you can enjoy the contests that other people participate in!
  • blazeingdragoonblazeingdragoon Posts: 65 Arc User
    oh so i guess i'll never get that therakials heavy sword then, considering they removed it from the temples drop tables when they switched to that blasted mod system and simple gear system. and the only way i can get the heavy sword varient is through the basted contests they host once in a blue moon. the main reason i have a issues with the contest system is that they removed something that was naturally part of a long and tedious dungeon removing something that would of made it worth it, and stuck it to what feels like arbitrary contest. i mean why haven't they attempted to reapply the heavy sword into the dang therakials temple? they allready done that with the martial arts sword varients, so why does the heavy sword have to be so dam special?
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    you could always save money and try to buy the sword from whoever wins, specially more so now that instead of only 1 person getting the sword 3 people get a ticket that can be redeemed for the sword or for something else, meaning the actual price of therakiel 2h sword has plummet down​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I had very good time. I slept thru it.
    :#
    Didn't go there to win, just to...sleep it seems. If you got only winning in your mind. Don't go. You get bitter....
    Been thru gazillion CCs in this 10 years. You win some and you "lose" some. Just wear what you think is best. But don't go in with blood taste to win in your mouth. You enjoy it more.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Beauty contests are always going to be subjective. They are always based on what the judges like, not what the contestants like (or want). That's just the nature of the beast. Of course it doesn't help when the theme is something so abstract that no one can figure them out.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    undefined
    undefined
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I had very good time. I slept thru it.
    Didn't go there to win, just to...sleep it seems. If you got only winning in your mind. Don't go. You get bitter....
    Been thru gazillion CCs in this 10 years. You win some and you "lose" some. Just wear what you think is best. But don't go in with blood taste to win in your mouth. You enjoy it more.

what i am fuming over is that therakial's heavy sword is still stuck as a costume contest exclusive that only happens once in a dang moon. it's so pose to be in therakial's temple no exceptions if and or buts. it was part of the temples drop table and it should be part of it no exceptions. if it was part of a dungeons drop table then it should be part of it.
    blue moon that is
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Whether or not it is "supposed" to be on the drop table is not for you to decide.

Yes, it once was, now it's not.
    Maybe one day it will be again, but I can't help but get the feeling that if they added it back tomorrow as a super-rared rop that someone, maybe you, would be back here complaining about that, too.

Every costume contest is subjective.
    If they had a biography contest that would be subjective, too.

Doesn't matter whether it's devs judging or players, each and every person brings their own ideas and opinions to the game.

I'm 0-fer in official costume contests, So what?
    If I decide to attend then I attend and hope for the best.

I don't win? Okay. I'll get a dev token for my time, get to see some other player's costumes myself (maybe finding some inspiration for that "missing piece" in one of my own costumes ideas), and maybe some other players will like my costume.

It's all good.

If I do not attend? Life goes on. Bigger and better things to stress over than some pixels in a game.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Don't feel bad, the majority of the population doesn't have the therakial sword thingy. I don't have it either, might never have it!

As for why bother with costume contests... well, considering how you felt after losing, I would say don't bother with them, you're just in for more of feeling like that. Most of the people who show up to CCs don't win - I think I saw an attendance of nearly 400 people last night, so there are literally hundreds of other people who also didn't win the thing who wish whatever they had made also matched what the judges were looking for.

Dev CCs especially are really long, but the devs stream during them so you're mainly there for the stream. Winning the CC is just a bonus. Oh and all the monster summoning insanity that happens afterwards, that's kinda neat.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Also, most CCs have a theme. This one's theme was "10". You brought in a dragon character (which are a Local a dozen around Mill City, but that's another issue). What about your dragon said "10"? In what way was your entry, in your opinion, superior to whatever won?

If you didn't match the theme, then of course you didn't win, any more than you'd win the county fair's baked-goods contest with your favorite smoothie. It might be delicious as all get-out, but it's not exactly a pie.

(I was going to attend the CC myself, not with any expectation of winning but just to see how folks interpreted the theme, but I had urgent business in meatspace.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Losing at a CC always stings the first time. I mean losing always sucks a bit, that's universal and is part of what keep us humans motivated to succeed.

Also, the devs are pretty incompetent judges, and the CCs are looooong. You might have more fun going to an SG CC with more seasoned, and informed, judges... or, maybe not. CCs aren't for everyone... and if you go in expecting to win, you are gonna feel the sting of defeat alot harder.

For me, most of the fun of CCs comes from looking at the other contestants. People come up with some pretty great **** sometimes.
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you didn't match the theme, then of course you didn't win, any more than you'd win the county fair's baked-goods contest with your favorite smoothie. It might be delicious as all get-out, but it's not exactly a pie.

Most of the winners didn't match the theme.

Whether or not it is "supposed" to be on the drop table is not for you to decide.

Yes, it once was, now it's not.
    Maybe one day it will be again, but I can't help but get the feeling that if they added it back tomorrow as a super-rared rop that someone, maybe you, would be back here complaining about that, too.

Every costume contest is subjective.
    If they had a biography contest that would be subjective, too.

Doesn't matter whether it's devs judging or players, each and every person brings their own ideas and opinions to the game.

I'm 0-fer in official costume contests, So what?
    If I decide to attend then I attend and hope for the best.

I don't win? Okay. I'll get a dev token for my time, get to see some other player's costumes myself (maybe finding some inspiration for that "missing piece" in one of my own costumes ideas), and maybe some other players will like my costume.

It's all good.

If I do not attend? Life goes on. Bigger and better things to stress over than some pixels in a game.

i wouldn't be back on the forums complaining because would be persistently grinding that dungeon till i got burnt of champions online. then i'll take a break and then come back to grind it. sure i might not like the drop chances but at least i have a chance at getting it. right now it is impossible. they CC events are once in a blue moon, and who knows how rigged they are.

and i am getting on this subject because if i don't get on it then who knows what next they might pull. they might decide to put strong gear or what not tied to those cursed CC events. or they could even remove all chances of naturally getting rare costume parts and stuff and then put them in that cursed dev shop. because if i end up having to win one of those CC to get things like collossus bird head or that dark speed device then thats the last straw.
    note i play champions once and a while because i barely can find stuff to do because i either have all i want or i can't acquire something i want. and if i see something that i want yet i can't acquire it because of some external means (aka dev contest and a dev's whim) i see it broken. and if i see it broken i wait and expect to be fixed. and if i waited for who knows how many years i am going to be extremely irritable. especially if they give ne a middle finger reward aka that dang [therakial's sword?] item during April fools and those martial arts blades. ever since i got that weapon and the further i wait i grew extremely bitter of these cursed CC events because they are not very frequent nor do i feel they are fair.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    They are fair.

Because person A is picking costume B.

That’s it...

You didn’t win. Neither did a lot of others.
    note i ment ever since i got that device i ment.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The general purpose of costume contests is that you're showing off your costume and looking at everyone else's costume. Winning should be considered an unexpected bonus, not something you plan on.
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    oh so i guess i'll never get that therakials heavy sword then, considering they removed it from the temples drop tables...

Ah! We're pretty close to a productive suggestion here.

What you mean to say is that you want Therakiel's sword very badly and would appreciate it if the devs provided some way - other than costume contests - that it could be acquired. This is not an unreasonable request so far as I can tell, in that it uses existing assets and would probably make people other than you happy as well.

Yay!
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User

I don't win? Okay. I'll get a dev token for my time

Wait, they give out Dev tokens for attending now? I thought you only get a Dev token if you win
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »

Wait, they give out Dev tokens for attending now? I thought you only get a Dev token if you win

There is no set rule. This time they gave out dev tokens for attending.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    dialamx wrote: »

There is no set rule. This time they gave out dev tokens for attending.

Really? I attended but never got one
    The times they gave them it was from killing the monsters they spawn, usually awarded from their defeat.

Apparently this time she handed them individually as she went by or something like that
    The times they gave them it was from killing the monsters they spawn, usually awarded from their defeat.

Apparently this time she handed them individually as she went by or something like that

Well that's more of a concern than the original post. She didn't hand them out to everyone she passed, only certain people. I got nothing, and I heard some others in game say they also got nothing when I mentioned it.
    It’s probably an oversight, I think she has to zap each person to give them the item. Which could be difficult with multiple zones and time.

They could just instead make a CC and offer a temp vendor at front of theater to give free ones
    They gave tokens out to zone 1 (of 4), as I understand it.
    That is terrible
  • tousseautousseau Posts: 33 Arc User
    As an aside, and a bit off topic, I know...

But did anyone else hear them mention that they were extending the event by a week?
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    No. Why would they? There has been no major interruptions of service beyond basic maintenance.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • tousseautousseau Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    No. Why would they? There has been no major interruptions of service beyond basic maintenance.
    https://www.facebook.com/ChampionsOnlineGame/videos/495311124384951/
    Around the 1:53 minute mark...
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Well if they said it on the stream there to the beginning of next month then it will last till then. Which would make sense since next week would not be the end of the month.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    As an aside, and a bit off topic, I know...

But did anyone else hear them mention that they were extending the event by a week?

Hello, kaiserin first announced this a day or two before the dev CC over on the unofficial CO Discord server . The extra week is to reveal a surprise for us that the devs have been working on that they weren't able to release earlier. They also said there will be no new unlocks during the final week.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Don't worry about it dude.

CCs are a complete waste of time, literally every judge is biased toward their friends or whoever they think has clout, and the rewards are generally something you can buy or earn.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,077 Cryptic Developer

Tokens were give out in every zone (1-4) and was a zone wide grant.
    kaizerin wrote: »

I was in Zone 2 but never received one. I asked around in-game, and there were others that also did not get one. Was there something we missed?

I very much want the Toothy Maw piece, but I've only gotten 1 token so far. Would hate to miss out on collecting them due to an over site.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    oh so i guess i'll never get that therakials heavy sword then, considering they removed it from the temples drop tables when they switched to that blasted mod system and simple gear system. and the only way i can get the heavy sword varient is through the basted contests they host once in a blue moon. the main reason i have a issues with the contest system is that they removed something that was naturally part of a long and tedious dungeon removing something that would of made it worth it, and stuck it to what feels like arbitrary contest. i mean why haven't they attempted to reapply the heavy sword into the dang therakials temple? they allready done that with the martial arts sword varients, so why does the heavy sword have to be so dam special?

To be fair, lots of people don't have that sword. And lots of people don't win Costume Contests. I've personally lost over 90% of the contests I have entered. Which was a lot (have not entered many in recent times). More people have lost contests than won them.

vonqball wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

Most of the winners didn't match the theme.

That is 100% subjective and not objective. Just because a theme is one thing, doesn't mean your vision on the theme matches what the vision the judge(s) have on that theme. Though, there are some very obvious instances when that is not the case. But, one should never assume that you know better than the judge about what they are judging.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    why bother? well in this case:
    1. dev tokens
    2. free emote and title
    3. and maybe a bit of silliness from the stream, or some insight on current projects from the dev team
    4. oh, also the chaos of fights that happen after it, like pvp and some random cosmic
    I kind of also wanted to win, but eh, +400 : 1 chances arent really realistic (even if you are used to gamble/lockboxing in this game), i would have sold the sword anyway personally, kind of need the money
    Thing is, the best way to approach your concern here is really just asking them to add the sword to the drop tables

I would go further in though, change therakiels battle, and maybe nemcon final boss too, so they are updated with today's standards, and then add those old rare juicy drops, a win win from my perspective.​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »
    To be fair, lots of people don't have that sword. And lots of people don't win Costume Contests.
    I, for example, don't have that sword. And I did get honorable mention once, but nothing at all most of the time.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    I was in (I believe) Zone 3 and did not receive any tokens. I was around long enough to see Kigatilik spawned.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

My best guess, and it's JUST a guess. Is that it works like credit for killing an OV in that if you're in the process of respawning you aren't seen by the game as on the map.

I spent mine to get a tail aura.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    kaizerin wrote: »

I did not get a dev token either. I think I was in z3.

Clearly there is a flaw in their distribution of dev tokens.

I might suggest next time a limited time vendor in the PHT.

Or

A free dev token to be claimed within 24hrs on store.
    Clearly there is a flaw in their distribution of dev tokens.

I might suggest next time a limited time vendor in the PHT.

Or

A free dev token to be claimed within 24hrs on store.
    the trick to each of them is making sure that people don't just grab it and actually participate in the contest.

I can think of a variation that avoids the (possible) issue of people being dead, but has other problems. The only sure method involves a rather elaborate script to record the population at several times.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Ask yourself this...if it’s one per account what does it really matter?

Best you could get is an AF and they are so hard to come by and there are other time-zones that are completely left in the dark.

So let everyone get one in 24hr, I don’t see the harm. (Better than what they have where people who attend get NOTHING)
  • heartstringsk3heartstringsk3 Posts: 149 Arc User
    So this probably doesn't help, but I think the devs add Therakiel's Sword to the drop table for the Temple mission on like, one day a year? I wanna say Halloween? I could very well be wrong, but I swear I heard it talked about at one point.
    So this probably doesn't help, but I think the devs add Therakiel's Sword to the drop table for the Temple mission on like, one day a year?
    The add the squeaky T-sword, possibly for all of Foxbatcon, don't remember for sure.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    I've never been able to attend any costume contest... all of them have been at times I can't be online. No that's not a complaint just an observation. At least the OP got to go... I wasn't even home for the week this was happening.
    So this probably doesn't help, but I think the devs add Therakiel's Sword to the drop table for the Temple mission on like, one day a year?
    The add the squeaky T-sword, possibly for all of Foxbatcon, don't remember for sure.
    AFAIK that's only Apr1. I actually have one.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters