test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anniversary Costume Contest!

We're holding a special Anniversary Costume Contest this Thursday at 4pm PT! Come and show us your best stuff, and win fabulous prizes!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11256773

Comments

• fusheng42fusheng42 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Is that new emote just for the character you bring, or for every character on your account?
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I'm guessing that new emote will be like the Cheer03 emote where it unlocks when you enter PHT.

I have to ask, is it okay for big toons to stay in the middle row? Because the back row doesn't exactly have good lighting... XP
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Thursday is a tricky day for me, but I will try to be there.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    "Contest Voucher?"
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    Contest Special Item Voucher can be exchanged for very rare in game items, like Therakiel's Sword or Vikorin's Headdress.
  • umm...wasn't Judge given out during the last dev CC? can't really call it new if it's been given away before​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    fusheng42 wrote: »
    Is that new emote just for the character you bring, or for every character on your account?

The emotes are account wide unlocks
    umm...wasn't Judge given out during the last dev CC? can't really call it new if it's been given away before
    No it's new, and was made available in a recent PTS​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    umm...wasn't Judge given out during the last dev CC? can't really call it new if it's been given away before​​

Judge has never been released.
  • The category is "ten"? That really seems like it'd be difficult to determine how to accurately create a relevant costume since that's such a vague description to work with.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The category is "ten"? That really seems like it'd be difficult to determine how to accurately create a relevant costume since that's such a vague description to work with.
    It's no different from any other CC: create a costume that fits within some interpretation of the category and hope that the judges (a) see the connection, and (b) like your costume more than other people's costumes.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    If you show up with 10 fingers and 10 toes you could easily qualify. Just leave the aliens, pirates with hook hands and so on at home ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • who says aliens can't have 10 fingers and toes?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    those that do would qualify!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • championsrperchampionsrper Posts: 66 Arc User
    I'm guessing that new emote will be like the Cheer03 emote where it unlocks when you enter PHT.

I have to ask, is it okay for big toons to stay in the middle row? Because the back row doesn't exactly have good lighting... XP

What!? Cheer03? What is this nonsense I've never heard about >:O
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    A friend and I have been experimenting with a merged costume idea. Each of us are a piece that come together to make one costume. Would we be allowed to bring that idea, or would we be disqualified?
    We don't really want to have multiple players as one entry as it makes giving out a prize difficult.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    The category is "ten"? That really seems like it'd be difficult to determine how to accurately create a relevant costume since that's such a vague description to work with.

just rewatch previous CCs and you'll know exactly what kind of costume to make. It's always the same style of costume that gets picked. Last Halloween costume contest I was able to predict 2 out of the 3 winners and got a fair amount of the honorable mentions right too (heck, most of the ones I didn't get right were the ones that were in other zones)​​
  • just come dressed up as a cat - you'll at least get an automatic honorable mention​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Based on my previous dev cc experience, you either have to make a "creative" or "humorous" type of costume. Something that would make them smile. "Funny" is better than "looking cool".
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    “rr” not “nn”

In PTS all those special emotes unlocked account wide, so yeah you just need to enter the theater during the event period with a single character to get in account wide (unless you want the titles on specific characters)
    What!? Cheer03? What is this nonsense I've never heard about >:O
    jCCDp12.gif
    9fmpHiv.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    It's no different from any other CC: create a costume that fits within some interpretation of the category and hope that the judges (a) see the connection, and (b) like your costume more than other people's costumes.

Eh, "ten" is pretty vague compared to most categories. I mean, yeah, (a)+(b) are still true, but the odds that you achieve (a) is infinitesimally small.

I honestly have no idea what 'ten' is supposed to mean as a category, so I pity the judges trying to figure out the connections.
    Wouldn't it be neat if they published images of all the winners and honorable mentions?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
    As someone that has hosted and judged many costume contests, I am disappointed in your judges picks; very few of the picks had anything to do with the theme of "Ten" or "Tenth Anniversary of Champions Online."

In the future, when you make a costume category, instead of pulling something abstract that you have no idea what it could be, either:
    - pick a category that you have made a costume for yourself or have seen others in game wear,
    or
    - just tell eveyone to amaze you with their best.

Right now, it feels like a big slap in the face to everyone who made costumes to fit your theme, when the judges mentioned while announced their picks, that they picked these because they looked nice.

I am not saying these costumers did not do a good job. I am saying your judges did not stick to the theme and therefor insulted and wasted the time of everyone who tried to fit the them.

edited September 2019
    The Cheer03 perk didn't unlock and wasn't available

In PTS both perks and emotes (OLD and NEW) got unlocked on the same time, what gives?
    Please don't tell me that the old emotes from DEV CCs are one time only and they are gone forever if you miss them :/

I thought those emotes were suppoce to be ALWAYS available during the event​​
    Cheer03 was not available, we turn that on for various player run contests.

Thank you all for attending! We had a lot of fun!
    Prizes have been sent out, they have been added directly into the winner's inventory.

The reward box is account bound, make sure you open it on the character you want the items on!
    1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners can claim their gold title from the bonus tab in the ZEN store once they open the reward box.
    kaizerin wrote: »

Thank you all for attending! We had a lot of fun!
    Prizes have been sent out, they have been added directly into the winner's inventory.

The reward box is account bound, make sure you open it on the character you want the items on!
    1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners can claim their gold title from the bonus tab in the ZEN store once they open the reward box.

Been hearing some peeps didn't get their Dev Tokens. Might want to switch zones more often next time.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • shaez#0851 shaez Posts: 5 Arc User
    I totaly agree with shortbus. Despite the anderstandable subjective part of deciding who is picked winner or not, at the end of a CC when every winner is standing in line you clearely see what they have in common.

And as the theme was really obscur to many ppl, as for me, when i entered the theatre and did a little walk to see what ppl had bringed to participate i've already seen that at least 80% (and i'm way too kind with 80%) of the participants had no clearely identifyed relation with "10" on theyr costume. That's the first problem, you had the majority of the participant who had no idea of what to do and bringed a random costume or just theyr favorite one.
    Just look on upper comments, there's people joking and saying that if you have 10 finger you fit the theme?! So is it a theme at this point?

But it get's worst if when after seeing all the costumes YOU do not seems to stick to the theme to choose your winners ?! What's the point to announce a theme then if the WINNERS who were picked by YOU guys do not seems to ALL be CLEARELY related with "10"???
    As said, it should be easy to figure what was the theme if you put all winner in line and see the common thing between them. What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you see them in line? "10"? Honestly ...?

And i'm not saying that those winners had bad costumes at all, there's clearely super cool stuff. What i'm saying is that the theme was really strange and that the majority of the winner did not fit it CLEARELY.
    And i'm not pissed neither because i din't won, people who know me know that what i like in CC's is the challenge and the fun to DO costumes and see what other did and there's always cool things to see. But were's the fun when there's no anderstanding on what the theme really is, no anderstanding on why this one win or not, and after trying to figure wich relation a winner has with the unanderstainable theme you still had no clue AT ALL??? Roll a dice? Fumble?

I only judged a costume contest twice but i participate at hundred, and for a EU player i hope you will agree that waking up in the middle of the night to do so is some kind of dedication. And in years doing so i can count on the finger of one hand the number of time i've wolked out the theatre with the feeling that i had my night spoiled...
    Now just guess what i'm feeling? I'll give you a hint : PETAQ ! ><

Sorry but prove me that i'm wrong and look the stream again, tell me that the vast majority of the participants did anderstood the theme when you see the costumes?
    And after that just post screenshots of the winners so everyone should be able to see why they have been picked and argue were they clearely fitted the theme or not because i really have no logical clue of what did happens tonight and that piss me off.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I may have been sleeping mostly thru the CC.....
    But, check your mail if you didn't get your Stuff.
    The Ten:
    screenshot-2019-09-20-10-22-55.jpg
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I got a "This one's cool" for my entry, Mettle (45:37 in the video), but that was it.

Ambassadorkael's comment did not translate to an honorable mention or placement.

I have managed to not only go 0 for 3 in dev costume contests now, but I have taken each of my 3 "mains" to one and managed to get three dev tokens now on three different characters.

So yeah, if you guys could make those transferrable within an account, like a slot in the HQ bank or something, that would be great.

Also? No more Kigatilik, please.
    While I realize that we don't have to win the fight or anything, I would have at least liked a winnable fight.

But thanks for hosting.

kaizerin wrote: »
    Thank you for the classification​​
    edited September 2019
    I participated only as an audience, I came for the emote, stayed for the whole thing for fun and to see the Megalodon :tongue:
    Here is the Twitch VOD, watch it before it gets deleted (they don't archive them)
    ​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    The Ten wasn't everyone. He was just ...10.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2019
    Just to demonstrate my point on my previous comment, let's use the link Avianos kindly linked to see just who's winner fitted the theme. But you can count how many contestant seemed to fit the theme in general, and i would not count me in as obviousely the judges dint get it. And i do not blame them for that at all cause i had to explain it to my fellow EU friends, so i had no expectation about US people ^^

Anyway, for what i saw and rechecked on the VOD :
    - Dr-Disco : disco ball can definitely fit a 10th anniversary
    - Mega : she's a teenager and then fit the 10
    - Big 'Hang ten' Kahuna : well it's in the name
    - Tentacular Tenesha : same that's in the name and double
    - Sapphire as a dude : cause of course sapphire is always part of any anniversary
    - Rocket Duck : he do have childish proportions and then can count a teenager

Aaaaand that's it ! And all of them are "just" honorable mention.

Here i'm not arguing on who is good or bad, on costume composition, auras combo, color or nothing else than fitting the theme, who as far as i'm aware of was the point of a CC when you annouce a theme, as shitty it could be.
    I may have missed someone, if so please add those that you feel fitted the theme and explain why cause i dint saw anything else myself :confused:

But for now, 6 honorables mentions on 13 winner is a shame.

I just can precise that i know some of the winner i dint mention as fitting the theme, i know they are good at costuming, did won some CC's and deserved to win those. But as cool your costume could be, if it not fit the theme, it should not be picked, to me it's a simple concept. And when i go to a "10" CC i like to see "10" winners, this seems simple too.
    If not, why not pick snake cowboys at a christmas CC?

Again, if there's a theme you need to pick those who fit it at the end, and when you choose a theme please discuss it with your fellow to be sure it is anderstandable. Cause as open minded i can try to be, the vast majority of the people i saw in the different theatre had nothing to do with your theme at all ...

edit : i've add Rocket Duck that i totaly had missed the proportions
    Post edited by shaez#0851 on
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Agreement here with everything Shaez just stated...

Those who actually fit the theme were honorable mentions at best.

and I'll throw in my two cents about how half of the winners were using stoic flight when they were teleported into the winners' area...
    I'll assume they had it active during judgement...
    Just saying...

*Note to self: Don't bother atTENding another Dev CC until I get stoic flight...
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    "10" was not a very inspiring theme. Some folks did get creative and come up with neat characters. Other had good pun names. But, if you win with a clever name and a bland costume, is it even a costume contest at that point?

Come up with something better than "10" next time Devs. And maybe try playing the game enough to know how to move around... just might help with "Dev-ing".

SMH
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, the only thing I had that could connect my character to "ten" was using the retro Defender chest piece, which only became available for the tenth anniversary, but I did notice that a lot of characters with stoic flight got some love.

So complaints? I'll keep them at two:

1) Travel powers are not costumes. Nor are powers, devices, or emotes. Costumes should be judged on their own merits without aid of any of the above. Just the costume, and that includes auras.

A "weapon out" option for characters that use them would be nice. A toggle that would allow them to walk around with their weapons drawn or put away as they wished.

Or some way to have weapons not drawn at least be shown on the costume. Putting a heavy mace costume piece on my back would be fine, except that when I drew my weapon that mace would still be on my back.

2) Ten was a terrible theme.

I would like to hear the judges connect each of the 13 winners to the theme.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Travels, powers, aura, emote can make your costume better...

This isn’t some trick, it’s presentation. I have a look that requires elements from all of those to actually make the design costume bits function the way I created them.

The judges picked what THEY like. It’s all fair.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    If we were supposed to get a dev token for fighting Kiga or Ape or otherwise participating in the after-cc (or even in the cc without a prize), i didn't get one. :shrug:
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

This isn’t some trick, it’s presentation.

:+1:

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • hallsofwallshallsofwalls Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I placed 2nd in the contest. The rewards box showed up in my inventory last night, and I opened it with a character other than the one that won the contest, but I don't any new titles in the bonus section of the zen store for either character. Where or how is it meant to be claimed?
    edit: Issue has now been resolved
    Post edited by hallsofwalls on

This isn’t some trick, it’s presentation. I have a look that requires elements from all of those to actually make the design costume bits function the way I created them.

The judges picked what THEY like. It’s all fair.

Who said it wasn't?

But if your toon only looks good as long as they are in a certain pose? Then they don't really look that good.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    But if your toon only looks good as long as they are in a certain pose? Then they don't really look that good.

And what if the costume looks good anyway, but they are just using the pose because it fits their theme/looks cool to them?

If you want to host a CC and put such stingent rules in place then no-one is stopping you. Your CC, your rules..... just like the other hosts decide the rules for their CCs.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Travel power, aura, emote, weapon are usualy allowed at CC's and i don't think Kaiserin did asked to not use thoses for this particular CC neither.