test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cosmic Tanking - Primary Defense Gear, which mods?

monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
Been reading that 17K HP is recommended. I'd like to use STR as PSS so what are the recommended mods for Primary Defense? Growth for the HP?

Comments

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    You can use Growth or Impact. I use Impact in mine but a few others use Growth. Depends on what you like.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Hmm. My tanks range from 14k to 16k(and change) HP.

The 15k on up ones have all solo tanked Dino and Eidolon (with the usual assortment of players, of course).

The lower HP tanks are usually designed to Off tank and therefore Soak tank. When they are forced to Main tank, then some good assorted healing and auras allow them to do the job.

All that is to say that I've seen 20k HP tanks go down quick if they don't have a decent support group or power set/specs. So, don't just concentrate on one aspect of your tank.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    You can solo tank any cosmic with around 14k hp, it's just that more hp = more room for error. In general growth mods give a larger bonus in eHP (effective hp -- hp as adjusted for defenses) but impact mods help with effective healing rate as well. Cosmics usually have massive surplus healing so growth is more valuable, but in lower end content defense may be preferable.
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    Thanks everyone! Seems the thinking has shifted towards HP in raids. Guess I can start ranking up all those growth mods I stashed away LOL!
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    Anyone ever try putting in two of the defense cores that give up to 50% damage resistance against a specific type of damage? Like fire resistance vs. the ape, or cold resistance vs. Kiga? I've been considering getting duplicate Justice Tights of Fitness and kitting them out for each cosmic.
    Assuming you're willing to get duplicate sets, sure, but it's somewhat marginal -- there isn't a defense core that works well vs dino (dangerous attacks are slashing or irresistible) and there isn't a 50% crush resistance core for Qwyjibo (his dangerous fire is irresistible). Getting cold vs Kigatilitk (and, when the OM existed, Dimensional vs Eidolon) can be worthwhile. It's also not as significant as you might hope, a typical defiance tank might go from an unblocked resistance of 70% to 77%.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Anyone ever try putting in two of the defense cores that give up to 50% damage resistance against a specific type of damage?
    Assuming you're willing to get duplicate sets, sure, but it's somewhat marginal -- there isn't a defense core that works well vs dino (dangerous attacks are slashing or irresistible) and there isn't a 50% crush resistance core for Qwyjibo (his dangerous fire is irresistible). Getting cold vs Kigatilitk (and, when the OM existed, Dimensional vs Eidolon) can be worthwhile. It's also not as significant as you might hope, a typical defiance tank might go from an unblocked resistance of 70% to 77%.

A 2000 point difference in the cold damage I would call a little bit on the significant side. I have multiple armors just for that. Dino we don't have any decent slashing mods for resistance, and ape is a mix of crushing and fire so it's not easy to set up for them. I am planning a psi resistance suit now for the worm fight in QWZ, since he hits ridiculously hard for no reason.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!