test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black ice powers

I am sorry if this isn't the right place, but I would like to know if there is any way to put the powers of black or close to this, since I would like to make a pj with ice build but that seems more to use glass than ice

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Nope.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Black and white, to whatever extent they are present in a power, are fixed.

They can not be added or removed.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Black and white, to whatever extent they are present in a power, are fixed.

They can not be added or removed.

That's not why white or black are unable to be chosen for powers. The reason they aren't is how the power color system works. Selecting white or black in the case of how they chose to use the power coloring system would result in the powers becoming invisible basically. It's not because they can't add them at all.To essentially get white and black they would have to basically add brand new powers just for those specifically color settings.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User

That's not why white or black are unable to be chosen for powers. The reason they aren't is how the power color system works. Selecting white or black in the case of how they chose to use the power coloring system would result in the powers becoming invisible basically. It's not because they can't add them at all.To essentially get white and black they would have to basically add brand new powers just for those specifically color settings.[/quote]

As of right now they can not be added or removed to or from any powers. They are not a choice. Anywhere.

To whatever extent they exist in any power, those colors are fixed.

Are you just trying to misunderstand and misinterpret what I say?
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2019

As of right now they can not be added or removed to or from any powers. They are not a choice. Anywhere.

To whatever extent they exist in any power, those colors are fixed.

Are you just trying to misunderstand and misinterpret what I say?

I am curious what you mean by the colors are fixed now, because I don't think what you are expressing is actually what is going on. If you mean the color of the default visual given to some powers, yes and no you can hue it which is what is going on when we pick our colors for our power we are changing the hue. If you mean the fixed color palette we have, that's completely wrong because we use to have a color gradient box we could pick from, like we can do with nemesis powers now, but that was reduced down to the palette boxes we have now to make it easier for players to pick specific colors.

And again, the reason why white and black aren't options is the method they used for coloring the powers would just result in the graphical effect becoming invisible.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    The reason why they can't add black or white to powers is because it's obviously racist.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    I want ebony and ivory colors ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Oddly, making the ice invisible would in fact make it "black ice". Black ice is called that because it's ice that's frozen on a roadway over such a long period that no air bubbles are in it, making it completely clear - so it appears to be just more flat black asphalt on the road. Then you drive on it, or step on it, and discover its extremely low coefficient of friction...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • i don't think the OP wants invisible ice, though - they probably want actual black ice in a similar vein to the black ice in D&D...which, ironically enough, looks more like obsidian than ice, at least in neverwinter online​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I agree it would be nice to had better color control.

As for the reason why it unfortunately will never happen:
    CO's power coloring is coded to shift hue, there is nothing in place to control saturation and luminosity. To make saturation and luminosity controls work they'd have to completely overhaul their power coloring system and probable remake most, if not all, visual effects used by those powers.
    Better color control has often been asked for, but it's not something they were willing to add even when the game had more people working on it. And with the more limited dev support CO has these days it's all but impossible.