test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Happy 10th Anniversary, Champions!

It's a day early, but I figured now would be a good time to say Happy 10th!

Hard to believe it's been that long. I joined when CO went free-to-play and now I'm a lifetime member.

To celebrate, I posted a new article over at the Battlerock Comics website, which features my original character, Galatea Future, along with Starlett and CO's Sapphire.

https://battlerockcomics.wordpress.com/2019/08/31/happy-10th-anniversary-champions/

Happy Anniversary, Champions!

10thann-gf-starlett.jpg

- John Battle (aka David 2)

Battlerock Comics
http://battlerockcomics.com

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Congratulations CO! There have certainly been times, and probably will be again, when the game's future was on everyone's mind; but the MMO has proven it has staying power.

Mind you, the tabletop version of the game is on year thirty-eight, so longevity is in its pedigree. ;)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    And I played 1st ed. of that PnP!!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited September 2019
    Man, you just old. :p

EDIT: But I'm probably older. :'(
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    The version that looked like it was printed on a dot matrix printer?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I refuse to be happy! Everything is bad! Blargh! \( omo )/
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I started with 3rd ed rules, but our GM had some 2nd ed villain books. Very different artwork styles...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    And Happy Anniversary as the 1st is Champions Online official birthday :)
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm gonna be here when they turn off the lights (and then I'll steal Kaizerin's fluffy red hair!). I never stop loving this game and this community.

Here's to ANOTHER TEN YEARS! BWAHAHAHA!!! :3<3
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • tariser12tariser12 Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2019

It looked more like a typewriter did it to me (they were still pretty common back then). I still have that edition somewhere. I think Defender is the only Champion left from it's cover.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    tariser12 wrote: »
    It looked more like a typewriter did it to me (they were still pretty common back then). I still have that edition somewhere. I think Defender is the only Champion left from it's cover.
    There was a predecessor to dot matrix. It was called "daisy wheel" and it was basically an automated typewriter.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited September 2019
    Deleted.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Deleted.
    ;-;

Now I wanna know what it was.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Anything before 3rd edition didn't have Defender on it, as 3rd 'Big Blue Book' was the one he and the rest of the second iconic Champions team debuted.

I started playing champions midway during 2nd edition days, but purchasing the Big Blue Book of 3rd ed. won me over as a fan and turned me into a GM for the game. Plus using the Hero System for a few other games as well.

I still mostly prefer Obsidian over Ironclad, but Witchcraft has grown on me over Solitaire, and Sapphire vs Quantum is a bit of a toss up. Sapphire barely edges Quantum out *imho*, as the hard life mutant angle on Quantum wore thin on me as her story was later developed.

Seeker is both hideously lame and supremely awesome all at the same time, somehow. Nighthawk and Kinetic are cool and all, but both are so obviously derivatives of Batman and Flash while seeker is a one of a kind blend of classic comics Hawkeye and Shang-chi / Richard Dragon perhaps. he feels way more original.

As far as the MMO goes, man, I've been playing the game for eleven years! Happy Anniversary, everyone!
    There was a predecessor to dot matrix. It was called "daisy wheel" and it was basically an automated typewriter.
    True, it could have been a daisy wheel printer.
    edited September 2019
    iamrune wrote: »
    Anything before 3rd edition didn't have Defender on it, as 3rd 'Big Blue Book' was the one he and the rest of the second iconic Champions team debuted.
    I thought it was Gargoyle, Flare and, Defender on the back of the wrap around cover for the first edition. I could be wrong though.
    I'm pretty sure I read who they were once, but I think it was in something that came out later, and it was a long time ago.
    (BBB was 4th edition I think)
    Post edited by tariser12 on
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    tariser12 wrote: »
    iamrune wrote: »
    I thought it was Gargoyle, Flare and, Defender on the back of the wrap around cover for the first edition. I could be wrong though.
    I'm pretty sure I read who they were once, but I think it was in something that came out later, and it was a long time ago.
    (BBB was 4th edition I think)

Yeah, BBB was 4rth, I had a mental hiccup. I think the guy on the cover you are talking about was Titan. Yep, it was Titan, A man trapped inside an alien suit of battle armor.

Source; https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/83329-the-guardians-project-lets-build-the-original-champions/