test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

E-I-E-I-AO

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
Old MacDonald had an Active Offense, but it got nerfed way down.

Imbue, LnL Ego Surge and Cold Sheath used to be the go-tos for AO, but they've been nerfed down or set to work in much more restricted fashions. Now I'm curious what the new AO meta will be. Is Imbue still worth it? Do Aggressor and Intensity have a new luster? Or, are AOs now more a thing of the past or very niche powers?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    The sad thing is that LnL is still a great AO. For power sets that don't already have Furious.

Why does Munitions need a AO that gives them 3 stacks of Furious when your primary maintain stacks Furious already?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    They're still a dps increase, so scoreboard junkies will still use them.
    The hold breaking can still be handy for squishies who might not be able to survive getting held in the middle of a battle.

There is no longer a "this is the obvious one to take on all your dps characters" AO, and that's a good thing. Also, taking multiple AOs as standard is gone, and that's also a good thing. Overall, this opens up more choices for people by not pigeonholing them into doing "the best thing" with every character.

For people who already weren't doing that, nothing much changed. My toons that had 1 AO still have 1 AO; they were fine before so they're fine now. I imagine the only people really affected by this would be the scoreboard junkies that were using multiple AOs. Everyone else is only really effected in that they now don't need to feel like they have to take Imbue if they're going to use an AO.
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    So far, the meta seems to be to drop AOs entirely unless you're TK or feel like dealing with draysha cheese.
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Imho, for a high end DPS, I think spending your slot for a DoT (whichever it is) will be a better DPS increase than an AO. It's less than 10% DPS increase for 15 sec every minute. The damage bonus is deep throated into DR, and the special effects are so utterly minimal that we can consider them non existent : LnL's Furious, Ego Surge, Intensity and Agressor stats bonus all give 1 to 3% crit chance or severity (depending on your specs), the buffs and debuffs should already be into your rotation anyway, etc.

I'll try to give some documented numbers.
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    While not being that standout, R3 LNL is a pretty generalist cd power. It'll give a minor dps boost, break free, cost discount, and extra heal option in Willpower- all rolled into one. For dps, I'd prob consider other options before an AO now (unless you can meet the specific cases where stuff like Ice Sheath, ES/NM, or Imbue are good), and esp now that most Ults have a 60 sec base cd, but some of that is just going to be down to personal preference.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited August 2019
    Imho, for a high end DPS, I think spending your slot for a DoT (whichever it is) will be a better DPS increase than an AO. It's less than 10% DPS increase for 15 sec every minute. The damage bonus is deep throated into DR, and the special effects are so utterly minimal that we can consider them non existent : LnL's Furious, Ego Surge, Intensity and Agressor stats bonus all give 1 to 3% crit chance or severity (depending on your specs), the buffs and debuffs should already be into your rotation anyway, etc.

There are only so many dots you can take, and you can take them and an AO owo

Unfortunately every time I try to do that, the time spent applying the dot ends up being a dps loss because the dot can't make up for the time lost spamming my primary nuke. AOs have the benefit of not having an activation time, so they don't use up any of that time.

Probably makes more sense to spend that extra power point on something that gives you a bit of utility.
  • ultronyte#7191 ultronyte Posts: 51 Arc User
    Missed opportunity to use System of a Down's song for the title instead
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Put it's more buttons to push, and everyone likes pushing more buttons!
    spinnytop wrote: »

There are only so many dots you can take, and you can take them and an AO owo

Unfortunately every time I try to do that, the time spent applying the dot ends up being a dps loss because the dot can't make up for the time lost spamming my primary nuke. AOs have the benefit of not having an activation time, so they don't use up any of that time.

Probably makes more sense to spend that extra power point on something that gives you a bit of utility.
    Missed opportunity to use System of a Down's song for the title instead

Since I've no idea what that song is I could not have missed an opportunity ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited September 2019
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Put it's more buttons to push, and everyone likes pushing more buttons!

Yes, that's why this part:
    spinnytop wrote: »

Getting a dot just for its damage is kinda boring. Get a stun or something, now we're talkin' fun.