test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphics settings seem to disable themselves 3/4 times I launch.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and I've found that since then, Champions Online seems to disable the 'high' option for shadows, along with Soft particles, bloom quality, Screen-space ambient occlusion, Comic-style outlining, Cinematic focus (depth of field), and Underwater view options. I'm wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this problem, and whether or not there's a simple fix for it.

Comments

• Options
    purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    I think I recall someone saying after turning off anti-aliasing, they were able to access those graphic settings again. This was just after they upgraded to Windows 10.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I have the same problem, and I've heared from someone else who had exactly the same. The only way to get them back permanently for me is to start CO in DX11 mode.
  • Options
    iceih03iceih03 Posts: 204 Arc User
    Same problem, but I upgraded from 8.1 to 10.
  • Options
    plearmonthplearmonth Posts: 3 Arc User
    I've found that running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8 seems to make it run fine.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Running CO in any compatibility mode makes it have micro stuttering every few seconds for me.
  • Options
    dswan321dswan321 Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yup lots of Windows 10 issues for me as well, I can do my settings but I got a lot of graphical errors like this - http://oi60.tinypic.com/a78tt.jpg
  • Options
    plearmonthplearmonth Posts: 3 Arc User
    That's an issue that's been around when running the game as DX11 for a loooooooong time.
  • Options
    dswan321dswan321 Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hm, is there a way to make that go away then?
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I'm getting this problem as well after going from 8.1 -> 10. Had to make a backup version of my correct gameprefs file and copy its contents over each time it doesn't start up correctly.

Tried the AA settings and 8 compatability mode. AA still isn't a surefire work for me on each launch (though I only tried lowering it. Maybe flat out turning it off might be better...), and as mentioned before running in compataibility mode produces very large lag. I have had experience with DX11 graphical bugs as well, and don't want to have that either.

In any case, hope this gets addressed as the Win10 userbase gets larger.

e: Turning off AA does re-enable the settings when the game starts up incorrectly, but I cannot turn it on at all in that case or else the advanced video options become disabled. It's weird, because that other 1/4 of the time I can set everything to high no problem at all.

Guess I'll have to use /renderscale 1.2 to get supersampling AA.

e2: More details! It also turns out that what settings I can and cannot enable on startup randomizes each time - so last time I attempted to start up and play everything went well, but then I tested again, tried the same "AA off" setting, and now my shadow detail could only get up to "Medium" and my Bloom only up to "Low". Going fullscreen also reveals that it keeps trying to set my refresh rate very low and causes the game screen to flicker terribly each time I change a graphics setting. How odd.
    Post edited by bluhman on
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    It's been three months and this hasn't been fixed still.
  • Options
    still not fixed, seem to now be the only person that's been able to have this reliably occur to me on four separate windows 10 machines.

• Options
    metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The problem might lie with your graphics driver. My model uses Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, once i deleted it and i could only run CO on low graphics till it reinstalled itself. Your driver may have not been updated properly or is not a compatible version.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • Options
    rave#2552 wrote: »
    The problem might lie with your graphics driver. My model uses Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, once i deleted it and i could only run CO on low graphics till it reinstalled itself. Your driver may have not been updated properly or is not a compatible version.

jX7ARir.png

Don't see it.

• Options
    metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    You are using NVIDIA thats good. But honestly idk, updating to Win10 from other versions always has compatibility issues. Right click destop homescreen and access nvidia control panel from there. Check if it has updated properly apart from windows. You might have to do further research on your software. The problem I had to was after a poor update.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • Options
    blazer2001blazer2001 Posts: 109 Arc User
    Sadly, the only two options to fix the problem are if you are running DX9, turn off anti-aliasing (which can be forced using the NVidia Control panel for Champions Online) or running the game in DX11, which has problems with black boxes appearing on some world textures.
    I'm the ruler of the fire power.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    It's been three months and this hasn't been fixed still.

Now almost 4 years :(

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods