test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for melee close range tank build

boomjenny#3477 boomjenny Posts: 93 Arc User
edited August 2019 in Builds and Roles
been play range tank since first day I played this game, So I would like try a close range melee full tank build. Saw some one when I join the special event, someone was unarmed close range (don't sure about the build but looks like) tank with 20K HP and super tanky, maybe has high defense gears and modes. However, I wish I can try it as well too. I already tried to build by my own, but didn't good at all. Someone told me that if I use strength as primary Con and end or dex as sec then I may have more defense and resistances.

So please some one share me a full melee unarmed tank build and gears modes or any better tanky close range build, also another reason is i may join epic alert or hunt giant, as well, my range tank may have hard time to tank it.

Thanks,

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    An Unarmed Tank? It's a pretty big powerset, so there's many ways to go about it. Here's one example:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.34:32

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Master (Str: 8, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Vicious Strikes
    Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Chi Manipulation
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest
    Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki, Gifts of the Storm)
    Level 17: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 20: Shuriken Storm (Rank 2, Floating Butterfly, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Dragon Rush)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

TKicks can put up Lithe (dodge buff) and serve as cheap melee filler, charged DU can be your single-target burst dps attack, and Shuriken Storm can tag enemies in a wide AoE and help stack Challenge. Since you have many options in Unarmed, I decided to leave the last few power slots open for you to experiment with. Gears mostly for Con, w/ some Dex and Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I might take the Demolish Adv on TKicks in place of R3 and for one of the last powers take Burning Chi Fist with Shattering Strike (uses the Demolish buff put up by TKicks) and Ghostly Stirkes advantage. Maybe Dragon Kick instead of Uppercut since it has that nice AoE stun on it. Maybe Indestructible for the last power?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Eh, taking Demolish on TKicks will get rid of Lithe, and that buff is nice for a tank build that uses BCR. You could get a diff Demolish applier, if desired. Dragon Kick is good for the AoE lockdown, though you have other AoE options here too. If taking BCF instead of DU then I'd prob get DK w/ Rush instead, then. Another AD can be fine, though w/ the longer shared cd I may get an ult first, or perhaps another self-heal power.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • boomjenny#3477 boomjenny Posts: 93 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Eh, taking Demolish on TKicks will get rid of Lithe, and that buff is nice for a tank build that uses BCR. You could get a diff Demolish applier, if desired. Dragon Kick is good for the AoE lockdown, though you have other AoE options here too. If taking BCF instead of DU then I'd prob get DK w/ Rush instead, then. Another AD can be fine, though w/ the longer shared cd I may get an ult first, or perhaps another self-heal power.

I currently only have 187 defense and 29% dodge chance, my defense gear has 4 mode slot should I installed for 2 lvl7 dodge should I remove them and replace with 2 defenses mode? I don't know as a tank more defense better or more dodge chance better? Also, Tank's primary superstates Con better or Strength better?
    In this case more dodge can also help w/ BCR/RR procs, so it can be good there. If you want to take the more normal route you can get more defense and/or Str PSS instead. For taking very heavy hits, like from Cosmics, I'd prob go w/ the +defense route for the reliability, since you have committed healers then. For other types of content the dodge approach w/ BCR can be good overall as you likely aren't having to tank huge hits then, and then the extra self-heal procs can be nice.
  • daroschdarosch Posts: 5 Arc User
    Another thing to keep in mind, if you see someone tanking and like what they are doing, don't hesitate to chat them up. Most people are more than happy to chat about their character, probably even share their whole build.
    darosch wrote: »
    Another thing to keep in mind, if you see someone tanking and like what they are doing, don't hesitate to chat them up. Most people are more than happy to chat about their character, probably even share their whole build.

Q..Q , cool, next time I will tell him, Hey ! buddy, I really like your build and what gears your using now? What modes you put on it? why you so tanky? I am the little devil in side of your heart so tell me ~ tell me everything! LOL

Thanks for the tips.
    In this case more dodge can also help w/ BCR/RR procs, so it can be good there. If you want to take the more normal route you can get more defense and/or Str PSS instead. For taking very heavy hits, like from Cosmics, I'd prob go w/ the +defense route for the reliability, since you have committed healers then. For other types of content the dodge approach w/ BCR can be good overall as you likely aren't having to tank huge hits then, and then the extra self-heal procs can be nice.

Hummm, for the Smoke Bomb Lunge adv, why would we pick the Nailed to the Ground over others? cancel a traveling power will effect to PVE monsters ?
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User

Hummm, for the Smoke Bomb Lunge adv, why would we pick the Nailed to the Ground over others? cancel a traveling power will effect to PVE monsters ?

Sometimes holstiles try to run away from those who can smite them with blade, claw, fist and foot... or put more plainly some of the NPC's are coded to pull back, or even fly to put distance between themselves and you. It's one of the 'fun' aspects of being melee rather then range.
    mordray001 wrote: »

Sometimes holstiles try to run away from those who can smite them with blade, claw, fist and foot... or put more plainly some of the NPC's are coded to pull back, or even fly to put distance between themselves and you. It's one of the 'fun' aspects of being melee rather then range.

Humm, Thanks for the help. I need time to understand that fun, LOL.

It's more of a niche thing in PvE, but some mobs have travel powers like flying/hovering that you can cancel with it. You can skip it if you want to put those points elsewhere, though; it's up to you.

It's more of a niche thing in PvE, but some mobs have travel powers like flying/hovering that you can cancel with it. You can skip it if you want to put those points elsewhere, though; it's up to you.

Also, if I have 50% dodge chance, how much defenses I should have? I currently only have 38% all damage defense. Do I need more of that? If so, what % I should reach?

Also, if I have 50% dodge chance, how much defenses I should have? I currently only have 38% all damage defense. Do I need more of that? If so, what % I should reach?
    I assume that's just char sheet values, which doesn't take into account that you're also using a R3 block and R3 Invuln. I can't tell you what arbitrary value to aim for, cause it'll just depend on the content you want to do and what gear is available to you.