test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Concept Help

kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
Hey there!

I’m in the spirit of Halloween coming up (YASSSS!) and I’m interested in creating a male witch from a coven in VB. The setting is similar to tv shows: Supernatural, The Originals, and Vampire Diaries. The look he has is very apocalyptic. Also, witches work with spirits, so in reference to Therakiel, I was thinking of a low tier pantheon/spirit who the coven worships. Any thoughts on concepts?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Did you and I do some character brainstorming not long ago regarding the High Apostolic Church in VB? I recall the discussion, but can't find the thread. :3

Is this character supposed to be heroic, villainous, or neutral? An "apocalyptic" look certainly sounds villainous, but in this game I can never be sure. ;)

In the Mystic World of the Champions Universe, there are spirits on the Astral Plane called atavisms. Atavisms are created out of extreme emotions or sensations by individuals or groups of people: love, rage, joy, fear, ecstasy, hatred, awe, agony, lust, despair, etc. They form on the Astral Plane, where they're invisible to people on Earth without special senses; but they're often able to affect someone's mind on Earth, and/or make themselves visible there. The more powerful atavisms sometimes can even manifest physically. They have no set form, but their appearance reflects the thoughts and emotions that created them. Minor ones aren't very intelligent, dominated by their singular passions. More powerful atavisms are similarly monomaniacal, but may be more cunning. They're most often driven to share the passion that created them with other people, typically by influencing their minds.

Some magical people are skilled at incarnating their emotions as atavisms: wizards may make them as minions, while shamans of more "primitive" (for want of a better descriptor) spiritual traditions often create atavisms in the form of an animal or other totemic spirit. The strongest atavisms are most often the product of large groups of people sharing a common emotional experience, e.g. sports crowds, rioting mobs, or congregations of religious celebrants. While most atavisms are short-lived, those who can find similar emotions among people that they can feed on, or who are sustained by repeated events, can exist indefinitely. A few may eventually evolve into gods, or demons.

It's possible for a person to merge with an atavism, which can give them enhanced physical and/or mental powers; but they typically become dominated by the same motivation as the atavism.

Following through on your desire for an "apocalyptic"-looking character, I would suggest a small "doomsday" cult based in Vibora Bay, which anticipates the end of the world and, depending on how you want to use your character, either wants to prevent it or to bring it about. Their "religious" ceremonies produce an atavism reflecting their attitude and beliefs, which the group may think is an actual god or other entity. If all you want is a simple monster, this atavism could incarnate physically; or if you prefer more sophisticated interactions, someone in the cult (probably its leader) merges with the spirit to create a superhuman. This being need not be malevolent -- if the cult wants to prevent an apocalypse, and considers some villainous agency as its instigator, the super being will likely try to destroy it/them.

That may not be at all what you want, but if you articulate your desires a little further I might be able to suggest something more suitable. :)
  • kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    This is good information. Thank you! What I mean “apocalyptic” I meant similar to MCU Scarlet Witch. Very gypsy like, but rugged. I’m glad you mention spirits because witches/wizards connect to the spiritual plane.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    little side note here and while i don't mean to go full politically correct here because everyone is free to use whatever terms they please, especially in the USA, but...you may want to favor use of romani over gypsy, especially if you ever interact with the roma people - gypsy may be the more common term, but it's acquired serious negative connotation over centuries, and is also incorrect to boot with regard to its etymology - the term evolved from the middle english gipcyan, because gypsies were popularly believed to have come from egypt...which, they didn't​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    Good to know. Thank you.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    kjames91 wrote: »
    This is good information. Thank you! What I mean “apocalyptic” I meant similar to MCU Scarlet Witch. Very gypsy like, but rugged. I’m glad you mention spirits because witches/wizards connect to the spiritual plane.

The Astral Plane is the connector for the many dimensions of the Champions "multiverse," and all manner of spirit beings may be found there: from atavisms, to ghosts of the dead, to predators like demons, creatures from myth and folklore, angelic beings from many faiths, elementals, entities from the higher planes, or Qliphothic anti-spirits. It would really come down to what you want your "witch" and "coven" to believe and to do in a game.

From the style of character, background sources you cite, and using Vibora Bay as your location, I would suggest using Voodoo as the spiritual tradition your character comes from. That Afro-Caribbean religion has no small following in VB, and one official character from the setting, Sister Rain, is a powerful mambo (priestess) of her local hounfort (temple). Voodoo rituals invoke various loas, spirits with specific areas of expertise and influence, and allowing them to "ride" (possess) a person. Sister Rain is exceptional in that when she's being ridden by a loa, she gains magical powers from it.