test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Outdated NPCs should have their costumes updated

duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
edited July 2019 in Suggestions Box
Most of the NPCs in this game have been around since launch, making most of their designs almost ten years old. In that time, they have added hundreds of costume pieces.

I think it's high time we gave the multitudes of NPCs a facelift. This would be a huge undertaking, however, and I don't expect your team to do it alone. I think the community could help out. I'm going to be posting a few costumes in here from time to time, showing the original next to my updated take on it. If you're so inclined, I'd love for you to do the same.

Succubus- Monstrous Form
unknown.png
-replaced the original beast legs and hooves with the special Krampus legs and hooves
-replaced the original arm straps with longer, more detailed arm straps
-replaced the original gloves with clawed gloves that transitions into the arm straps
-replaced the horn belt with the straps belt
-elongated the arms

Diamondback
unknown.png
-kept the color scheme, but replaced basically everything else but the head because there really isn't any other options for snake heads that I'm aware of
-I'm not sold on the boots, if you have any suggestions for alternatives, I'd love to hear 'em.
Post edited by duratokgorehowl on

Comments

• doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User
    I was working on some updated costumes for the Champions before I went on a small hiatus. Managed to finish Defender and Sapphire, and started work on Kinetik.

I aged them up, based on their ages described in the source books. (Mostly in their 40's now.)

Khg3D6S.png

B3swpfe.png

Zpl7pXF.png

HvpUu3V.png
    (Obviously couldn't use Sapphire's belly diamonds, but they'd be there if I could.)

L0cFYQf.png

TM4JdWT.png
    (Kinetik is still WIP, which is why is belt is using default colors.)
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    How about an updated Claude Baine that looks like a scary monster and not like he just walked out of a furry convention.

MMGC2ds.jpg

Redesign is on the right, just in case.
  • doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User
    Ooh, I really like that.
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • solhusetsolhuset Posts: 40 Arc User
    good idea, I like it.
    Also that Claude is like.. a complete and total improvement in every aspect. The current one looks like he's got a big wad of cream on his head (super scary)
  • duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    How about an updated Claude Baine that looks like a scary monster and not like he just walked out of a furry convention.

*SNIP for space*

Soundsrisky, I like what I'm seeing. Got any more up your sleeve?

EDIT: Also, how'd you do that? Getting the NPC in that pose as a PNG, getting your character in the same pose as an PNG, and then putting it all on a background?
    edited July 2019
    I've wanted to look into updates for the Heroes of Detroit since Blood Moon last year and a player-held contest that was about redesigns for them.

As for the image, I use the demo_record function and playback to do it. It requires editing to .demo file to display an NPC's costume instead of the player's and using the "danimtogglebits" command during the demo to get the pose that I'm looking for, then taking multiple images into Photoshop to create an alpha channel for the transparency.

Here is another example you may like.
    I've wanted to look into updates for the Heroes of Detroit since Blood Moon last year and a player-held contest that was about redesigns for them.

As for the image, I use the demo_record function and playback to do it. It requires editing to .demo file to display an NPC's costume instead of the player's and using the "danimtogglebits" command during the demo to get the pose that I'm looking for, then taking multiple images into Photoshop to create an alpha channel for the transparency.

Here is another example you may like.

Hey, that me! Where the heck is the 'put sword on shoulder emote', cuz I need that in my life!

Also, that all sounds incredibly cool and complex and I wanna learn how to do that. I'll need to see if creating the alpha channel for transparency is something I can do with Paint.Net.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    This thread should be fun even if they don't get used.I have some of interest and first up is Green Dragon:

YAK39El.jpg

And hey, maybe they can correct his voice while they're at it.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    What belt is that on Kinetik? It looks interesting.
    Also, all the redesigns look amazing :o
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    screenshot-2019-07-26-21-24-07.jpg

While some of the heroes from Bloodmoon simply look old school, Nimbus has some things I feel don't quite work. Her color palette being one of the biggest weaknesses. It's one where it feels like small adjustment can work but the original ideas can be retained.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    There's been some nice designs in this thread so far, with some thoughts.
    • Diamondback looks neat, I like the little hazard stripes. Also, those are the boots he actually currently has in-game.
    • I imagine Defender would/should still be keeping his identity a secret.
    • We really need some natural hairstyles for black characters like Kinetik.
    • I would personally like to see Nimbus take a bit of inspiration from Storm.

As for another character, I never liked the Talisman redesign that happened when the game went free-to-play, so here's a kind of goth-witch version of her.

5IvCak0.jpg
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    I second that, brother. I would like to see civilians of MC refreshed as well. I know its a big ask but i might as well go for it.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    yes, especially that civilian walking around rencen who looks like he should be at the beach or at a strip club instead...you know, the one wearing the red speedo and nothing else?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    OkuK7mk.jpgn9wrqXV.jpg

Next up, Menton! This took some thinking and I think this works. It's better than the original at least. If the character is supposed to be the most powerful human psychic alive, someone so powerful that he can't be kept awake and that Dr. Destroyer has special protections against him, maaaaybe he shouldn't have been designed in a way that people would compare him to Steve Urkel?

Tried to split the difference between some of the stuff described and shown of him in the tabletop with some of the stuff in CO. Changed the brain part to be a bit more subtle and tried to maintain a visual difference with PSI's palette since he's not part of them.

-Sterga
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    yes, especially that civilian walking around rencen who looks like he should be at the beach or at a strip club instead...you know, the one wearing the red speedo and nothing else?​​
    The red speedo guy is probably the male counter part of the lady who goes jogging in a yellow bikini.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I completely agree with the OP, it's high time that NPCs were updated. Here's my take on an updated Green Dragon that's based on my character Dragon Mask, who is ,in turn, a homage to Green Dragon :p ...

AqDrOs6.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • too much exposure​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    too much exposure​​

yeMEEDd.jpg

:p

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Silver Avenger Mayte Sanchez
    unknown.png
    Though less armored, I overall feel like the changes make her more intimidating. When I showed this to some friends, they said that she's giving off 'Vasquez Energy' (a la "Aliens"), and that's totally fitting.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I love the Green Dragon re-design, he looks a proper badass. Body Armour is for Wimps! I especially like the Eyebrows of Power. More of this sort of thing, please.
  • How about an updated Claude Baine that looks like a scary monster and not like he just walked out of a furry convention.

MMGC2ds.jpg

Far more intimidating. The first guy looks like he's a Furry and he's a children's mascot. Am I going to learn how to count to ten or some letters from the first one? :P
    edited August 2019
    I love swashbucklers in general and was overjoyed when I first ran into El Picaro in UNITY Headquarters. I always felt that his costume was a bit lacking in character though and when I made my character, Swashbuckler, I went totally for the dandy, foppish swordsman route. However, keeping more in line with El Picaro's in-game costume, here's my take on an update...

5DCjI7W.png

xO2tVh7.png

zrdRBy8.png
    Silver Avenger Mayte Sanchez
    unknown.png
    Though less armored, I overall feel like the changes make her more intimidating. When I showed this to some friends, they said that she's giving off 'Vasquez Energy' (a la "Aliens"), and that's totally fitting.
    It looks "cool" but not like a professional police/military person, which she is.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • but at least she doesn't look like a burnt carrot anymore​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    You guys do know that Cryptic suxx at maing and re-making NPC costumes?... :#
    Myabe they'll do a graphic update of npcs when we hit Decade Anniversary...
    I like how Silver Avenger went and became thicc. :p
    And why did they remove the giant braindome from npcs?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    It looks "cool" but not like a professional police/military person, which she is.

See, I never really got the straight-laced professional vibe from her. All of her dialogue is about busting heads, kicking ****, and beating up bad guys.
    edited August 2019
    See, I never really got the straight-laced professional vibe from her. All of her dialogue is about busting heads, kicking ****, and beating up bad guys.
    Well, while true, she's a salaried and licensed agent of UNTIL. Also, she was that way BEFORE becoming a Silver Avenger. As-is she's not really wearing a proper uniform. She seems to be wearing a t-shirt under her armor, and doesn't have a helmet either.

Also, being a professional does not require one to be "straight laced". I would say she's a professional UNTIL agent, but not straight-laced.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    Next up, Menton! This took some thinking and I think this works. It's better than the original at least. If the character is supposed to be the most powerful human psychic alive, someone so powerful that he can't be kept awake and that Dr. Destroyer has special protections against him, maaaaybe he shouldn't have been designed in a way that people would compare him to Steve Urkel?

Tried to split the difference between some of the stuff described and shown of him in the tabletop with some of the stuff in CO. Changed the brain part to be a bit more subtle and tried to maintain a visual difference with PSI's palette since he's not part of them.

Honestly I think there is a disconnect going on here... you are associating physical strength with mental strength as if they are a one to one comparison... they are not. One can be physically weak yet have a powerful mind. While I think Menton should be updated, and if I felt I had the pieces to do so I'd post my own take, however I don't think his essence should be so drastically changed. He's physically weak, which means he should be a pushover yet he isn't because he has such high mental strength that even Dr. Destroyer, a world class threat, is concerned about what he can do.
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    Indeed. I thought the whole 'point' of Menton was that deep down he really is a classic nerdy nerd. Ludicrous mind-bending psychic power is a completely different power from a sense of sartorial style or being able to do ten push-ups.
    mordray001 wrote: »
    Honestly I think there is a disconnect going on here... you are associating physical strength with mental strength as if they are a one to one comparison...

Technically not my intent. I stated "splitting the difference" because in the tabletop he's visually portrayed as more suave and classy (though natively from Spain). Now, I can't say exact MMO game developer intent for him. I actually think him projecting an image of being cooler than he is and a reveal upon defeat would be pretty cool but it is but one potential idea.

All in all, I think the Claude Baine proposal beats everything else in the thread by a landslide since it does the best at improving the base concept while still maintaining it.

-Sterga
    edited August 2019
    Let's please not turn this thread into a competitive X beats Y, Z and Q by a landslide nonsense. I'm guessing that the OP didn't create it for that, but rather for the love of the game and costuming, and that's why I'm participating. Turning it into a popularity contest is a sure fire way to get people to not bother posting more costumes in it... I know that I'd refrain from continuing if it devolves into that.

From posts you've made over the years, I know that you're a decent guy, zamuel, and your delight in seeing peoples' costume threads over the years gas been good to see. Let's see this thread continue and not devolve.

This thread has actually managed to get me seriously back into the tailor again :)

And, for the record, I like the Werewolf revamp too. From FLOOF! to RAWR!
    zrdRBy8.png
  • hey, don't denigrate the FLOOF! our very own @gentlegiantvexx is the heap floofer chief 'round these parts

though, i suppose someone like claude baine is supposed to be scary, not cuddly​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Let's please not turn this thread into a competitive X beats Y, Z and Q by a landslide nonsense. I'm guessing that the OP didn't create it for that, but rather for the love of the game and costuming, and that's why I'm participating. Turning it into a popularity contest is a sure fire way to get people to not bother posting more costumes in it... I know that I'd refrain from continuing if it devolves into that.

From posts you've made over the years, I know that you're a decent guy, zamuel, and your delight in seeing peoples' costume threads over the years gas been good to see. Let's see this thread continue and not devolve.

This thread has actually managed to get me seriously back into the tailor again :)

And, for the record, I like the Werewolf revamp too. From FLOOF! to RAWR!

Very well put! This definitely isn't meant to be a contest. This is meant to be a place for people to submit their costume ideas. If you don't like someone's costume? Instead of saying something, submit your own take on it! Really like someone's costume? Let them know, but not at the expense of other's submissions.
    Bird Manimal Redesign
    GEhPPEt.jpg

Now granted, this isn't *quite* the same, because the first is one of the 'escaped experiment' manimals, and the later is a 'part of the tribe' manimal. Used a lot of the Bird People costume pieces, and I thought the werewolf fur worked well as feathers.
    Very well put! This definitely isn't meant to be a contest. This is meant to be a place for people to submit their costume ideas. If you don't like someone's costume? Instead of saying something, submit your own take on it! Really like someone's costume? Let them know, but not at the expense of other's submissions.

My apologies. I let myself get offended instead of keeping my cool. In many ways I was caught off guard since I'm used to most of the longtime fans of Champions tabletop vocally hating Menton's CO visual design. Added onto the fact that a lot of early CO missions and NPCs tend to involve references and parodies, the thought that the design was intentional on brains =/= brawn or that someone would even like the way the design as presented never occurred to me. Still, this is detracting from the thread and potentially would be better suited for discussion elsewhere. Sorry about that.

-Sterga
    6XWL6dD.jpg

Destroid Shock Trooper is in an interesting situation in that the one in game isn't one of Dr. Destroyer's robots but is instead using the model of one of the Lemurians. Presumably a bug, this leaves more breathing room for changing the look. Tried to find the right boots and bracers so the Shock Trooper fit in with the other Destroids but hopefully has enough details to stand out on its own.

-Sterga
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Q4y5qYJ.jpg
    kinda rushed this but made Al'Qeqthoth taller... suppose to be more intimidating.
    would of use this head
    7NguM0J.jpg
    and give his minions worm heads instead
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • you notice how there are at least 2 bloodmoon characters in here and neither of them got a single update...but one that wasn't in here did​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    rave#2552 wrote: »
    Q4y5qYJ.jpg
    kinda rushed this but made Al'Qeqthoth taller... suppose to be more intimidating.
    would of use this head
    7NguM0J.jpg
    and give his minions worm heads instead

Let's not go destroying player made villains. Mmmkay.
    Remaking Crypticmadedefaultalertnemeses on the other hand....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!