test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Death Rattle predictions and reactions

Comments

• zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    I recently ran it on a lowbie and yes, Surhoff does say they were taken into custody and thus they did survive. All things considered, interrupting the ritual probably saved their lives.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Wait... I just remembered... they definitely lived. One of the Nem missions in the prison has you meet Ludwig.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Something I like about Death Rattle so far is that while there may be magical items, it's not really a magic plot. It's very much a mystery about the crime spree with the magic being incidental.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Thank you, that's an encouraging observation. :)
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    I have been obsessing over the title and reading too much into the fine mechanics of the scenarios.

In the first mission, we are presented with a warehouse filled with Cobra Lords, each with a magic glove. AND NO PEARL. The pearl only makes its appearance AFTER Thunderbird is defeated, and defeated NOT like his compatriots but with a suctioning flash of light.
    Thunderbird: No...but...he said I'd be invincible...

To me this reads like a classic 'monkey paw' promise. You will be invincible... but not in the way you THINK you will.

In the second mission, we are searching for pearls. And for some reason they are scattered all over Westside. This is a pretty odd thing to do for desired items of power, and ones that we know contain important information. Where you find the pearls you also find the Cobra Lords, who don't want you taking them.

So my questions were:
    - Why are pearls suddenly appearing in random places and times?
    - Why do pearls seem to contain odd collections of data? What does this have to do with powering magick items?
    - How was Thunderbird made invincible?
    - What does this have to do with 'death', 'rattles', and 'death rattles'?

Putting them all together, my prevailing theory is that the pearls are, in fact, SOULS. The magick items the Cobra Lords have been given are - unbeknownst to them - powered by slowly consuming their souls. And when they have drawn too much power (say, at the end of a tough fight) the wearer of the glove ends up having his soul completely sucked from his body and dies, leaving a pearl.

This explains why pearls seem to suddenly appear, why they are distributed randomly throughout the area of the Cobra Lords, why they contain information on the activities of the Cobra Lords, and why the Cobra Lords are interested in retaining them. It also explains why a boss would give powerful artifacts to random, unimportant flunkies - he's not really HELPING them, he's HARVESTING them.

It also provides a deep hook for all the heroes involved in the missions. What... you actually USED that glove you were handed in mission one? Wow. You'd better trace those gloves to their source and figure out if there's a way to reverse the process, huh?

In my theory, the 'rattle' part involves an artifact the boss is assembling in which dozens of these souls will rattle around but which will give him ludicrous power. This would tend to point more to a more tribal rather than hermetic mage, such as Baron Cimetiere.
    Like the device from "Soul Siphon"? Could be. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Could these pearls be Elder Worm gems?
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    @fermi Interesting take on the whole situation.

If that is the case, I'd really hope they use it as an opening for Lamplighter...but I'm not sure if this is his style...but then again...if it is just to harvest souls then it might work / fit.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    criswolf09 wrote: »
    Could these pearls be Elder Worm gems?

I hope so. We need more elder worm content.
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    The boss of part 3 looks like a lemurian turning into a Bleak One.

That sounds like C'thulhu stuff. I like it.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    So the lore in part 3 is categorized under Therakiel, though that might just be a bug.
    So the lore in part 3 is categorized under Therakiel, though that might just be a bug.
    Well... I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS Therakiel. Also I made a record of literally every word of NPC chat during the mission.

ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    In Chapter 3 there is a piece of lore titled "A Schematic."

The lore does not unlock any perks, but there is a lore panel for it on your character's lore tab.

That lore is in a category titled "Therakiel"

I think it's safe to say that the Death Rattle is that of Therakiel, where a death-rattle is a final spasm of a dying or deceased individual.

(I spotted that and mentioned it in zone yesterday, but didn't think to post it here until just now)
    I'm really hoping the Therakiel tag is a typo, a swerve, or an incidental connection but not the main brunt of the finale. I kinda liked the feel of it as is since it felt like classic superheroics that just happened to have magic in it. The Lemurians felt like they worked well enough as an expansion to what's going on. That said, I'm still enjoying it so far.

-Sterga
    edited August 2019
    That "When he rises, you will burn with the rest" comment by Hydrophis sounds like a major clue; but I'm having trouble seeing a logical candidate it would apply to. I mean, there are certainly characters in the setting for whom that would be appropriate, but Cobra Lords, Lemurians, Therakiel, magic pearls, supertech matter-energy converters... none of them have any known connections.

Of course, Cryptic devs may be introducing a new original villain. OTOH it wouldn't be the first time they did something that makes no sense continuity-wise.
    Also, keep in mind that AmbassadorKael wrote the story. I'm not sure how much research he actually did into the CO lore. It might be a lot of research or it might be fully new lore. Stay tuned to find out! :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    My reaction to part 3 so far is that if you're going to insist on grouping the villains so close together, you should maybe consider labeling the mission as suitable for higher-level characters. Encantador, a lvl 23 Hexslinger, can't progress into the third room because the very act of charging up a defensive circle, necessary to survive at all, immediately aggros three separate groups of enemies.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • The boss of part 3 looks like a lemurian turning into a Bleak One.

Looking like Lemurian to me too. I mean it could just be a set up for a brawl with someone else but yes, it looks fishy

Hoping the next series if involves magic does it differently - travel to Vibora Bay to deal with some vampires or something. Inspires two new Archetypes - The Supernatural Hunter (ranged class focusing on guns and gadgets with a few celestial moves like Holy Water thrown in there) and The Banished (melee regenerating class that can play either easily as a werewolf or a vampire with a custom Beast Form transformation power as exclusive unlock for free form if you buy the class that lets you transform into the giant bat things New Shadows do or the big werewolves). Hell, that transformation could have other skins too - large demons, etc. The potential is there. Oh and your powers are colored red for extra fun.

But we've got too many magic related things, don't we? To quote The Cure song, "to wish impossible things."
    jonsills wrote: »
    My reaction to part 3 so far is that if you're going to insist on grouping the villains so close together, you should maybe consider labeling the mission as suitable for higher-level characters. Encantador, a lvl 23 Hexslinger, can't progress into the third room because the very act of charging up a defensive circle, necessary to survive at all, immediately aggros three separate groups of enemies.

I didn't know circles created aggro on their own. That's sounding more like a bug unless something else is involved. From my experience, I didn't aggro multiple groups when I ran it (Soldier AT for reference).
    bulgarex wrote: »
    That "When he rises, you will burn with the rest" comment by Hydrophis sounds like a major clue; but I'm having trouble seeing a logical candidate it would apply to. I mean, there are certainly characters in the setting for whom that would be appropriate, but Cobra Lords, Lemurians, Therakiel, magic pearls, supertech matter-energy converters... none of them have any known connections.

Of course, Cryptic devs may be introducing a new original villain. OTOH it wouldn't be the first time they did something that makes no sense continuity-wise.

Cobra Lords would fit well with either Lemurians or Therakiel if coming from the idea of them simply being used to further someone else's plan. It's just that Lemurians and Therakiel don't seem to have anything in common. It is worth noting the "It rises! It rises!" is a chant the Lemurians use in one of the cutscenes during the Lemurian Invasion rampage so "When he rises, you will burn with the rest" does sound like it's important if this is a Lemurian plot.

-Sterga
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    I didn't know circles created aggro on their own. That's sounding more like a bug unless something else is involved. From my experience, I didn't aggro multiple groups when I ran it (Soldier AT for reference).
    If it's the room I think it is it's just being too close. I'm pretty sure they'd aggro even if you stood there and did nothing. They're just that close. Also I'm pretty sure there's 4 groups of them. I had to do it on my L25 by firing through the door at the first group. Avoid line of sight and you avoid aggro.

Cobra Lords would fit well with either Lemurians or Therakiel if coming from the idea of them simply being used to further someone else's plan. It's just that Lemurians and Therakiel don't seem to have anything in common. It is worth noting the "It rises! It rises!" is a chant the Lemurians use in one of the cutscenes during the Lemurian Invasion rampage so "When he rises, you will burn with the rest" does sound like it's important if this is a Lemurian plot.
    Mmmm But... that's a giant summoned pet, not their boss.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    If it's the room I think it is it's just being too close. I'm pretty sure they'd aggro even if you stood there and did nothing. They're just that close.
    I think I've usually aggroed multiple groups in the room with the central platform with a scientist up on, but pretty sure that was just me being sloppy, not anything inherent about the layout.

Some circles do count as entities that can draw aggro (we used to have incidents of circle of radiant glory tanking the dino), but a hexslinger should have no trouble avoiding that, just drop a circle in the hall and use eldritch blast to pull (or don't bother with the circle).

Huh... could we possibly be getting Shirak the Destructor?

(Shirak is a 400'-tall golem with destructive eyebeams, created by the Lemurians to attack the Empyreans. The Empyreans managed to push the Destructor off the Antarctic ice shelf, where it sank and froze in the polar waters. Maybe these stolen gimmicks are intended to revive it?)

Huh... could we possibly be getting Shirak the Destructor?

(Shirak is a 400'-tall golem with destructive eyebeams, created by the Lemurians to attack the Empyreans. The Empyreans managed to push the Destructor off the Antarctic ice shelf, where it sank and froze in the polar waters. Maybe these stolen gimmicks are intended to revive it?)
    hard to be sure, but it suddenly reminded me of this thing...

That is a ridiculously large skeleton.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User

Other clues:
    - Hydrophis is standing next to the kind of pods that Elder Worms cram kidnapped humans into in the Qliphotic Warzone.
    - The purple goo in the bio lab is exactly the colour of the gloves' and Hydrophis' powers.
    - The Cobra Lords comment on how GOOD it feels to use the powers in their gloves.

The latter two clues and the bio lab itself leads me to suspect that there is an element of addictive drugs being incorporated into our enemies' abilities... quite likely without their awareness.

The breadth of groups involved reminds me strongly of some of the strange cross-group cooperations we have observed before. At least once it was accomplished with mind-control devices, once with Qliphotic corruption, and once with sheer persuasion.

I suspect our mastermind is probably not a member of ANY of the groups we've seen, but is drugging people he needs to get things done and co-opting them into his organization. Or, just as the Cobra Lord who turned into Lemurian suggests, perhaps none of the Cobra Lords are REALLY Cobra Lords (Roin'esh?). The bio lab, likewise, is not just a random target but is a resource he's been using and has decided to burn now that his plan is nearing completion.

Looking at the huge volume of drugs throughout the bio lab, and combining that with the matter-energy converter, perhaps he intends to send out an addictive signal to the entire town, such that nobody is capable of avoiding it. It would be nice to know if there was anything but loot on the rest of the list.
    Darn. Now I'm thinking it actually is Shadow Destroyer behind this (or whatever guise/form he's under now). That's the only Champions character I can think of who brings together the history of manipulating others for his purposes, expertise in both magic and science, and a Qliphothic connection.

I really hoped we'd seen the last of him. :/
  • stormturmoilstormturmoil Posts: 10 Arc User
    Darn. Now I'm thinking it actually is Shadow Destroyer behind this (or whatever guise/form he's under now). That's the only Champions character I can think of who brings together the history of manipulating others for his purposes, expertise in both magic and science, and a Qliphothic connection.

Maybe Shadow Destroyer Is gone, but his stash of goodies ended up somewhere else; one of his Flunkies took them, or the followers of the Bleak Ones (be they Lemurian or Karkaradon) yanked them out of a Qliphotic Portal or something

But not being the Polymath He was, they have to figure out how to use them by Trial and Error, and that takes, time, money, and disposable Guinea pigs.

Cobra Lords provide a convenient 2 and 3 here.
    That reminds me:

Hydrophis said: "This isn't the end of it, hero. Nothing you've seen is what it seems."

Yeah, wonder what THAT means?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    I'm backing Liaden, and going with Zorran the Artificer- though he guessed it long before I did. XD

Weird that a ocean person would be talking about burning. Maybe the final boss is gonna be a giant overcooked fish stick.
  • doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User

He survived the events of Shadow of Destruction. Whether or not he's the mastermind in Death Rattle, he's pretty much guaranteed to return at some point. :P
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
    Just because he continues to exist in continuity doesn't mean he has to be brought back into the game.
    Yeah, having it be Shadow Destroyer again is just kinda... boring.
  • doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User
    Oh, I agree. Shadow Destroyer has been in the limelight since the game launched. It's time for another master villain to shake things up.
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    n8mcd wrote: »
    In Chapter 3 there is a piece of lore titled "A Schematic."

The lore does not unlock any perks, but there is a lore panel for it on your character's lore tab.

That lore is in a category titled "Therakiel"

I think it's safe to say that the Death Rattle is that of Therakiel, where a death-rattle is a final spasm of a dying or deceased individual.

(I spotted that and mentioned it in zone yesterday, but didn't think to post it here until just now)

It's now in "Uncategorized".

So current theories on who Hydrophis was trying to resurrect? I'm actually starting to wonder if it might be Andrith the Golden or someone similarly dangerous.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited August 2019
    So current theories on who Hydrophis was trying to resurrect? I'm actually starting to wonder if it might be Andrith the Golden or someone similarly dangerous.

Could be...maybe? They are fanatical enough to do what they do in the final mission for this person...

Well whoever it is, LadyHawke seems to think that Dr. Ka needs to be consulted. There is a potential for Therakiel to still be in existence outside the time stream (as explained in game by Caliburn) and trying to manipulate events to return somehow.

That being said...this all seems very Lemurian to be Therakiel, but to my knowledge, Zorran the Artificer hasn't vanished and need returning...but Therakiel has...

I do think it would be pretty hilarious if it was someone random like...Valak the World Ravager out of nowhere, but that's unlikely.

Whomever it is, I really hope it isn't someone we've seen way too much of before.
    Oh, dear... I just thought of someone else who could be rising, who fits some of the connections raised here. Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer. The Atlantean who sought to overthrow the demigod rulers of Atlantis, whose war with them sank their great island and reshaped the surface of the planet. Who was transformed into a monster of staggering destructiveness by "the Presences Beyond," the same Qliphothic entities who empowered Shadow Destroyer. Under whose banner the enemies of Atlantis gathered, including the Lemurians.

In that Cataclysm Sharna-Gorak was hurled into another dimension, where he has lain inert for thirty thousand years. Luther Black stole a fraction of the Destroyer's power in his first Demonflame ritual, which nearly destroyed his body.

Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer returning to Champions Earth would fall under the category of Very Very Bad Things.
    Well, that's an interesting possibility. O_O'
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Oh, dear... I just thought of someone else who could be rising, who fits some of the connections raised here. Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer. The Atlantean who sought to overthrow the demigod rulers of Atlantis, whose war with them sank their great island and reshaped the surface of the planet. Who was transformed into a monster of staggering destructiveness by "the Presences Beyond," the same Qliphothic entities who empowered Shadow Destroyer. Under whose banner the enemies of Atlantis gathered, including the Lemurians.

In that Cataclysm Sharna-Gorak was hurled into another dimension, where he has lain inert for thirty thousand years. Luther Black stole a fraction of the Destroyer's power in his first Demonflame ritual, which nearly destroyed his body.

Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer returning to Champions Earth would fall under the category of Very Very Bad Things.

tenor.gif
    To be completely honest, if there's a coherent metaplot to this story line, I'm having trouble seeing what it could be. Like Lemurians on the Moon, this feels like a grab-bag of stuff just thrown together without a clear logical through-line. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, though, if it all turns out to make sense in the end.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Part of it feels like a case of these are the things you must include now get too it... situation/challenge. I see stuff like it on some of the writing forums I go to. It can go well or it can be a mess.

The biggest problem is that translating the written word into a visual medium, especially one with a narrow budget, can be a tricky endeavor. I'd imagine that if the dev's had a better budget we'd have a much better set of missions.

Another point to keep in mind, the balance of a satisfying ending to what is meant to be part of a greater whole is a razors edge that must be walked carefully. When writing a multipart story it is important to remember that each book/section needs an ending unto itself and many have a hard time with that. Some of the books I've read don't feel like they ended anything rather it feels more like the book was just torn into smaller pieces and sold as a series rather than the single book it really was.
    I bet it's just Fox Bat with a flame thrower and he thinks he's all cool now cause he has one.
    To be completely honest, if there's a coherent metaplot to this story line, I'm having trouble seeing what it could be. Like Lemurians on the Moon, this feels like a grab-bag of stuff just thrown together without a clear logical through-line. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, though, if it all turns out to make sense in the end.
    After playing all four parts, the whole feels a lot like a heist movie. But with us as the police trying to foil the handsome and daring heisters. Hydrophis got his crew together, planned out what he needed for his heist, then knocked over an UNTIL Fortress like it was a bank vault.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Wait has anyone mentioned that dragon that Hi-Pan was trying to summon in West Side in one of them low level missions? Maybe that's the thing. Dragons burn stuff. Lemurians are lizard people so they might like dragons. I dunno.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Wait has anyone mentioned that dragon that Hi-Pan was trying to summon in West Side in one of them low level missions? Maybe that's the thing. Dragons burn stuff. Lemurians are lizard people so they might like dragons. I dunno.
    Death Dragon doesn't seem to have a connection to Lemuria though. Whoever this is is someone the Lemurians know and want to see returned. I suppose they might have heard of Death Dragon, but, Death Dragon is just as likely to eat them as the Purple Gang and Red Banner. And he tried to eat those guys already. I don't think the Lemurians would want to unleash that kind of destruction on themselves.

Also I'm not really sure Death Dragon is actually powerful enough for that.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    That so-called Death Dragon we see in CO isn't powerful enough. But that feeble thing could only be a fragment, an avatar of the real Death Dragon, who's certainly powerful enough to eat any number of Lemurians. Yet the Death Dragon itself is only one avatar of The Dragon, one of the biggest Big Bads in the entire setting... as in, "world-ending" bad.

But you're right, Lemurians have no direct lore-based connection to any aspect of the Dragon, and no basis to expect to be spared the Dragon's wrath should it come to Earth, any more than anyone else on the planet. Like I said, so many elements of this story just don't seem to hang together.
    Here's another possibility: we could be looking at the return of Andrith the Golden and/or some construct of his.

Arguments for this:
    • The gloves from part 2 can be upgraded with Crystallos Shards, which, aside from being seen in this mission, can be found in Andrith Ruins and when doing the mission Shards of Oblivion.
    • According to Dig Data Download, Andrith was an 'ancient Lemurian City, a place of leisure and deadly research, ruled by one of their ancient leaders, Andrith the Golden. When it was abandoned, a doomsday weapon was left behind.'
    • To achieve rank 3 gloves requires shards with no known source other than Vikorin. According to Entering Andrith, 'in all likelihood, they are trying to dig up some long-buried superweapon.'

It has never been revealed what superweapon that might be, though Grashnak reminds me a bit of the lava elementals we run into in Deathray Demolition (there's also Phoenix poking around in Kriminal Intent, but that doesn't seem very relevant).
    The Monster Island source book mentions a couple of things the Lemurians are looking for, and have already found fragments of: the Scroll of Andrith, one of the ancient sorcerer's greatest writings of magical lore; and the plans for the Mandragalore, which would implicitly allow them to fully repair the original, or create a whole new one.