test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heavy Weapons suggestions

ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
edited July 2019 in Suggestions Box
Many feel that Heavy Weapons is a bit lackluster, and I would agree as well. The powerset feels sort of incomplete, because many other powersets are clearly more sophisticated and sometimes are just frankly better at most aspects of the game. The fact that it's on the lower end of the powerset DPS spectrum doesn't help it either. There are other powersets that are in more dire need of help, however I thought I would present a few minimalistic changes that I think would improve some of the lackluster aspects of the powerset in case the wheel of fate happens to stop on Heavy Weapons in the future. As a bonus, I decided to make a thematic Ultimate that would be loosely inspired by another very recognisable power, mostly for cool factor.

Arc of Ruin, increase range by 5 ft

Defensive Arc, 1 pt. advantage, 100% chance to apply or refresh disorient.

Wildifre, 2 pt. advantage, refereshes Clinging Flames, knocks down.

Reasoning: Defensive Arc reinforces the use this ability would have while tanking, as it would allow the tank to apply Disorient to his target by tapping. This would especially be useful during Teleiosaur cosmic runs. Wildfire is simply there to interact with something like Eruption, so it can make sure to maintain the clinging flame stacks on the relevant target and build enrage, but would no longer be a mandatory advantage for single target dps due to Eruption, which would also now be a more ideal way to apply No Quarter to a group of mobs.

Eruption, applies clinging flame, does not knock up

No Quarter, 2 pt. advantage.

Magma Burst, 2 pt. advantage, deal additional fire damage to targets who already have Clinging Flames applied, knocks up, knocks up more if Disoriented

Reasoning: It's completely and utterly lame that Incindiary Grenade with a 2pt. advantage can completely replace the entire functionality of Arc of Ruin and Eruption, which take up an additional power slot and 4 additional pts. of advantage to achieve the same effect. I think this is a fair alternative. In exchange for being melee, it gets to deal some instant damage. The Pyre Patch is replaced with a knock up. They become equally valuable abilities, but now you don't have to venture outside of your powerset and use things that might be in conflict with your theme. So far as ATs are concerned, Devastator requires unlocking anyway, so I think this is fair.

Annihilate, remove root effect from taps, increase energy cost of taps by 15-20%.

Reasoning: I mean, it seems to really bug a lot of people, and it is true that there are other powers that do much more dps and don't seem to root in place. I think this is more of a compromise for when you have to move or chase someone. Also, many ranged powers don't even root when tapping, (or it doesn't matter if they do because you can jump) so I personally see no issue here.

(Ultimate) Burning Rage: 0.4 activation time, fairly low energy cost, Consume all Enrage stacks to periodically deal fire and crushing damage to all enemies within 10ft, dealing more damage for each Enrage stack consumed with a duration of 3x(consumed enrage stacks). Apply an effect that grants an enrage stack every 3 seconds, with a duration equal to 3x(consumed Enrage stacks). Increases all damage done by X% in the severity layer for each enrage stack during the duration of this effect.

Overwhelming Anger, 1 pt. advantage, deal bonus threat to effected targets.

Comments

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I think most of these would never happen, but I agree; the most important thing is the current ult. It doesn't fit HW at all. So it's almost unusable. So any replacement for that would be great.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I agree, HW is pretty is in a pretty lackluster state! Doesn't that it roots you and it's so slugish

I may add to your suggestion that HW needs it's OWN Unique Energy Unlock and not being forced with Fire synergy, a lot of use dislike the Clinging Flames and the need for Thermal Reverb

What is your opinion about Skullcrusher's current state OP?
    A lot of us want to see the power being buffed and even turning into Single Target power on the same level as Annihilate
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I think most of these would never happen, but I agree; the most important thing is the current ult. It doesn't fit HW at all. So it's almost unusable. So any replacement for that would be great.
    Power Chord lost it's novelty REALLY fast!
    Cute for Guitarists, unacceptable for Pure Heavy Weapon
    There is a reason a lot of use stick with Unleashed Rage on HW characters

Meanwhile Therakiel has Unique HW's animations that can be used for an actual HW ultimate
    Annihilate, remove root effect from taps, increase energy cost of taps by 15-20%.

Reasoning: I mean, it seems to really bug a lot of people, and it is true that there are other powers that do much more dps and don't seem to root in place. I think this is more of a compromise for when you have to move or chase someone. Also, many ranged powers don't even root when tapping, (or it doesn't matter if they do because you can jump) so I personally see no issue here.
    The self rooting is just awful in general and the reason this powerframe feels slugish, especially since the MOBs can run away from you making you waste your time charging the power

Some things to consider, During the HW revamp years ago (one of the first revamps i may add) DEVs said the only reason Annihilate cannot lost it's self root right now it's because the animation will break the character's spine while moving! It requires animation update for more stable walking animation

Gee, If only we had an ANIMATOR to update Annihilate instead of making MEME Dances ¯\_(ツ)_/¯​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    avianos wrote: »
    What is your opinion about Skullcrusher's current state OP?
    A lot of us want to see the power being buffed and even turning into Single Target power on the same level as Annihilate​

Frankly, never used it even once. From what I can tell Arc of Ruin is more useful, Lunge is more versatile and Brimstone just deals higher damage. If Skullcrusher has a place, then I don't really see it personally. I think it has an absolutely awesome animation though, so if a HW rework is ever on the table again, I think making it a single-target alternative to Annihilate would be good. The aoe range is really small anyway, so it's basically a single target power anyway. It doesn't knockback, so mobs/duel opponents won't experience fall damage, which could be an excuse to give it an extra bit of oomph, make it charge faster, or something like that.

P.S. I don't mind clinging flames, but only because it fits my character's theme =) I can understand your side of the barricade on this one, however.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Yep yep yep, Skullcrusher is in a pretty sad state for all the reasons you pointed out!
    I'm so upset a power witch such unique animation is so underwhelming underpowered :anguished:

In general more options are always welcome to have, and HW is one powerframes than needs more viable options
    More Options, more Synergies, more Builds Diversity and themes, more fun, WIN-WIN​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I guess I don't mind the sluggish aspect. My HW dps just charges into mobs, hits eruption (or stands at distance and uses earthsplitter), then taps arc while mobs recover until most of the mobs are dead, then taps annihilate on any tougher targets remaining. I sure don't want it to look/feel like a MA power.

Agree that it needs its own EU and a suitable looking Ult.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    Skullcrusher, when you add the crushing and fire damage together it does slightly more than uppercut, it should really be more in line with demolish imo
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    I was wandering if they gave all weavy weapons power a 1/2 point advantage to change the bass element like the chi flame to clinging flame advantage.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix