test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defensive Passive on DPS for Alerts

So basically as the title says, how do players feel about a "teammate" for an alert that shows up as "DPS" sporting a Defensive Passive.

I have a Solo toon that fits this bill that I have to yet run an Alert cause this seems like it would be upsetting to other players.

Thoughts?

Comments

• bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    In alerts, no one should care. The only places where bringing a hybrid to dps is detrimental are those with significant dps checks, which are really just dino and Eido.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    If anyone complains, just keep doing what you're doing in alerts. Generally speaking unless you are in a team of brand new players who are under leveled...and you're in a timed alert...you aren't going to fail and even then the chance of you failing is quite low.

In standard content do not ever restrict yourself because of other people.

The only place where filling a role really matters is in non-standard content e.g. Endgame Lairs and Cosmic fights.

I bring DPS with Hybrid Role into alerts and I'm either tanking for the group or just doing my thing, if you do get grief, just minimize chat and keep going.
  • shaun98ca2shaun98ca2 Posts: 29 Arc User
    Thanks....I guess I need to prob consider endgame lairs and cosmics fights with my build in mind.

I wonder how much I gimp myself with 2 fully ranked passives?
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    Having 2 ranked passives can make for an extremely versatile build if done correctly. It’s a lot of fun and highly useful for both endgame and pre-endgame content!
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    A level 40 with a defensive passive will still contribute more dps than a level 20 with an offensive passive, and honestly, if your defensive passive user can effectively suck up mob aggro and tank stuff, that will help the rest of the team, at least the squishier/lower level elements.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    The only place where filling a role really matters is in non-standard content e.g. Endgame Lairs and Cosmic fights.
    And even for those Hybrid is still good enough. Some people just can't handle these encounters unless every other player on their team is hyper optimized.
    And even for those Hybrid is still good enough.
    It's possible to beat dps checks at the dino with hybrids, but any actual hybrids you see are probably being a net liability, because the people good enough to beat dps checks with a hybrid are also good enough to not use hybrid, as dps role will be just better.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I like to mention the "DPS of dead" thing.... How much DPS can you do while staring at the respawn button? :p

Also, as has been mentioned many times I'm sure, glass cannons are bad at Kiga. :p Glass cannons are one cause of endless Kiga-palooza.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    I have only ever seen one thing get public grief on an alert, and that's a person just standing around and doing literally nothing. Even people who were disconnected for half the alert or the like where just chuckled at if they had the grace to say 'oops' when they got back. I think we all know that some folks on alerts are lowbies and don't have all their powers, and by the same token some uber-powered 40's still do alerts and very obviously just brush everything in their way aside. It's all good.

I have to confess that I like characters a little tougher than usual (I like to go to warzone) so I'm often stacking all kinds of things on them that would get them shunned as impure. My tanks have a boat-load of DPS improvements and my DPS usually tries to be more tankular. I also like using the pre-made archetypes, and nobody has ever commented on that - even at a cosmic raid - other than to ask my impulse (locked in hybrid role, defensive passive, and defensive form) how much damage he was getting out of force cascade (4200 a shot, which I could chain so it wasn't terrible).

It's not like they can MAKE you leave if you don't want to. But it's good that you want to contribute well. Not every contribution is DPS, too... I've never had a healer be asked to leave. :p
    I like to mention the "DPS of dead" thing.... How much DPS can you do while staring at the respawn button?
    My experience is that the people playing hybrids do not die less than the people playing dps (they should die marginally less, but they don't).