test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20190612.34 - Death Rattle Chapter 2

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
edited July 2019 in PTS - The Archive
Death Rattle
  • Mission 2 is now available, talk with Ladyhawke to get started. You will have to complete the first mission, and the second part will not be available until at least 24 hours after completing the first mission.
  • Added Magic Imbued auras Head, Hands and Tail to the Champion Recognition vendor. Players will receive a Magic imbued Hands aura for completing the second mission for the first time.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Hmmm I didn't find any bugs with this one. Not yet anyway other's might have more luck.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Ladyhawke says six pearls need to be found but the text has a typo that says ten in the second paragraph.
    Mission says it gives out UNTIL Rec but the character I ran it with was lvl 40.
    The option at Ladyhawke to ask about the pearl still has the original message even though they now have information on the pearls.
    Good that there's actually more than six pearl locations even though you only need six.
    At the end, Ladyhawke says she's going to run the pearls through a decrypter. While nothing is broken, it might give a bit more narrative weight if you either had her standing near one of the computers, had the scientist talking to her holding some sort of tech item, or had some sort of tech console at that back wall.
    I like the literal delay of the 24 hour wait since it is an attempt at being immersive that they need to process the pearl. However, it might be a good QoL that instead of a true 24 hours to instead make it 20-22 hours like some events because this might be a bit of an accidentally sliding timescale if someone logs in at the same time to play everyday if it is an exact 24 hours.
    This is wholly subjective but the ambushes while searching for the pearl sort of showcase a need for the Cobra Lords to have more enemy types. This is more of a call to lessen monotony than anything being broken though. And the Cobra Lords aren't the only ones with thing problem, admittedly.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    Nothing game breaking, but the new aura seem to disappear if you zoom in your character close enough.
    Like using a mouse scroll, it one scroll zoom in before you're in first person mode.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    so there's some pretty drastic VO mismatches with the text:
    • Entire sentence the VO says is missing from the text
    • The text says to find 10 pearls while the VO says 6. Looking at the actual mission content, the consensus seems to be 6.
    • VO says to bring the pearls back 'here' when you're done, text says back to the lab.

Pearls seem to make a nonsensical Laser-Sword SFX hit noise when they enter rendering distance. Not sure if that's intended or just a debug feature, I would expect more of a noise akin to sonar. If it's just for debug though, that's helpful for the following reason:

There seems to be a lot of this SFX playing nearby the WCOC film studio. I'm suspecting some of the pearls might be placed inside building geometry or something. Maybe I'm just blind.

Could you at least do us a solid and have the Cobra Lords only spawn once you've either picked up the pearl completely, or have just spent some time nearby the pearl? As it is right now having them immediately spawn upon attempting to interact with it is just kind of annoying. Would certainly lead to someone to try and wait before picking the pearl up - thereby learning the trigger to those guys showing up is in fact the act of attempting to pick it up.

Found pearl nearby WCOC: location in screenshot. It generates noise when I get near, but no large waves.
    4odPLbL.png

Having the goggles on seems to cause a lot of distant geometry to suffer from severe pop-in. Especially in the areas with lots of freight crates.

https://youtu.be/h9KyOb9rP1c

couldn't find the last pearl after rushing all over the mission area. Thinking this weird flickering might have something to do with it.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Finding pearls takes a really long and annoying time, and there doesn't seem to be any interesting challenge; you just have to run around looking for flashy things that seem to have enough of a delay on their render that you can run past them.
  • historiphilehistoriphile Posts: 86 Arc User
    Ok so I just completed the mission after a LOT of running around.

Confirming the glitchy 'laser sword' noise when you're near a pearl. Is that meant to be a different sound effect, like a radar ping? It confused the heck out of me because my character uses laser sword!

That waveform emanating from the pearls is practically useless. I think 4 times out of 6, I stumbled onto the pearls by chance after hearing the glitchy laser sword sound, once I realized the connection between that sound and proximity. The waveform didn't pop out until I was right on top of the pearl anyway. Do walls obscure the wave? Maybe they shouldn't. That one near WCOC kept me looking for 15 mins.

• wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    However, it might be a good QoL that instead of a true 24 hours to instead make it 20-22 hours like some events because this might be a bit of an accidentally sliding timescale if someone logs in at the same time to play everyday if it is an exact 24 hours.
    Good point that needs to be highlighted. An actual 24-hours delay does tend to lead to a sliding schedule.

If a person usually checks into the game for about 30-mins every day around the same time, there's a decent chance they'll miss the follow up quest the first day, making the actual wait time closer to 48 hours.
    With some people mentioning that they were having difficulty finding the pearls, I'm wondering something that might be helpful. Can the pearls show up on your minimap when you're close to them? I know that invention nodes do but I don't know if that can be done for clickies and made to fluctuate based on having the goggles on.
    bluhman wrote: »
    Could you at least do us a solid and have the Cobra Lords only spawn once you've either picked up the pearl completely, or have just spent some time nearby the pearl?

Sadly, I think trolls might exploit this to drop high level spawns on lowbies.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Could you at least do us a solid and have the Cobra Lords only spawn once you've either picked up the pearl completely, or have just spent some time nearby the pearl?

As long as they despawn reasonably promptly it wouldn't be an issue. Or add scary monster to the spawn.
  • crashjrivecrashjrive Posts: 47 Arc User
    The pearls are incredibly hard to notice. They need to be able to be seen from much further away and maybe intensifying the pulse effect coming from them or adding a beam once you are in the area of it (Like the one on Ladyhawke(. I've been searching for an hour now and still haven't completed the mission. I'm stuck at 5 as I type this. Also increase the amount of pearls because I'm sure most people don't want to do a scavenger hunt that takes this long.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    With some people mentioning that they were having difficulty finding the pearls, I'm wondering something that might be helpful. Can the pearls show up on your minimap when you're close to them? I know that invention nodes do but I don't know if that can be done for clickies and made to fluctuate based on having the goggles on.

Minimap Radius is a stat that players have, so it could possibly be leveraged somehow.
    My understanding of how the engine works is that it's the goggle device itself that triggers the pearls to spawn in the first place. This only occurs also when the player is out of combat which is also why the pearl disappears when you get ambushed by the guys.

I believe the Cobra Boys are skull level anyways so they just scale to whatever is fighting them. It's also not like this is much different from the current situation: hey I'm a troll, I'll just start interacting with this pearl and teleport away. Now they're someone else's problem.
    In any case that's also far from the worst possible trolling exploit that's even on live right now, as we also got:
    • OV Supervillains who loiter around low-levels waiting for them to use any kind of AoE
    • Potential to teleport repeatedly over people respawning to keep them from ever being able to turn on their toggles (hey easy fix for that, just make the charge self-root instead of self-interrupt with movement!)
    • I can just hit a cosmic mob to break it out of CC. Like, this is so easy to do people do it by accident. Also you don't even need to be actively taking part in the cosmic fight for this to happen, some guy trying to save goths in Canada could easily just tap a Dog by mistake on their way over because lol what's this temple thing that's cool oh hey that guy's surrounded by dogs I better help him
    • Preventing anyone from completing that Vibora Mission that requires you to solo-fight a demon dude. By just following them constantly.
    • Magnifiers
    • Spamming cosmetic devices on others while you have a fun nullifier on yourself
    So in the grand scheme of things I don't think the change would really make that much of a difference either way, nor would it be the first possible change that could potentially be exploited to make things more difficult for newbies.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    MAybe the Perls triggerin gets better, jhust like teh Lauch Yer Rockits spots....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
    FC.31.20190612.36
    • Fixed an issue where some geometry would flicker in and out when using the Waveform device.
    • Fixed a bug where the wrong sound was playing with the waveform device.
    ​​
  • phasestarphasestar Posts: 116 Arc User
    Just tried it for the first time on PTS (after the new fix) with a L40 who had done the first when it appeared on PTS. Had no issues, the pearl detection worked well and each time I got an audible ping I was able to quickly look and locate the visual aura and find the pearl. No problem with the ambushes at each site either. I was surprised that this mission offered 10 UNTIL instead of the 3 SCR that the first offered (and still offers) to my L40. Also, after turning it in, when I spoke with Ladyhawke again in the Lab and asked about Any news? her answered was that she was still decrypting the pearl as if the first mission was completed but not the second.
    The mission pointer in the lab points at where she was last week in the lab instead of where she's standing now.
    Minor audio thing. When the mission ends, Ladyhawke's "we're gonna solve this puzzle" vocal audio has this echo like she's in an empty room. Somewhat okay here with this being a lab but more of a heads up for future recording. It does sound like it was recorded separately, though.

-Sterga
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'd already beaten the mission, so why do i need to beat it again and get stuck waiting until tomorrow to play the new mission? That makes no sense....
    I'd already beaten the mission, so why do i need to beat it again

You don't. If you are doing the mission for the very first time, it has a built in narrative delay before the second mission is available. If you have already run the first mission, then it lets you run the second one with no problem.

-Sterga
  • zombiehunter1968zombiehunter1968 Posts: 94 Arc User
    Any reason in particular why Liberty Guard is still up in the PTS, even though the Patriot event is long over and the Nighthawk event is due soon?
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Any reason in particular why Liberty Guard is still up in the PTS, even though the Patriot event is long over and the Nighthawk event is due soon?

Devs forget to turn off event npcs frequently. At least it's just in PTS.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
This discussion has been closed.