test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestions on LS build

redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
Thinking of trying out a Laser Sword build, but not really sure where I want to go with it. Can't decide between Dex, Int or End PSS, and which forms/passive to use.

I'd like a set up where I can get Burn through from chest beam up as well as disintegrate. Would like PBR with FIE for a little fun at range, and maybe NEP for energy and team friendliness. Download if I need it as well for energy. (I guess it depends how it goes.)

On one hand, it feels pretty cookie cutter, but on the other, there are lots of variations with slightly different effects. Dex centric for Crits (with FotT, and LnL with barrels), End centric for overdrive and end of the line, or Int for Unity and Detect Vuln.

What generally works well?

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    FIE on PBR can increase the target's dmg resistance, so I generally wouldn't take it. PBR also won't work w/ LS as naturally, since it doesn't apply Radiation effects and is a ranged attack (only easy toggle for both is FotTempest, which is a bit rng). I'd prob save PBR for a diff build where it fits easier. Chest Beam can fit in fine for LS builds, though.

Anyways, many diff setups can work for LS. It'll somewhat depend on your gear, goals, and/or what sort of attacks you want to use. Overdrive won't work out well, regardless, since you aren't using maintains or toggle attacks w/ LS. Here's one build example, going w/ the Dex route and FotTiger:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)
    v3.34:32

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Lightspeed Strike (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
    Level 6: Unified Theory
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Lightwave Slash (Rank 2, Light Mend)
    Level 14: Form of the Tiger
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Luminescent Slash (Rank 2, End of the Line)
    Level 23: Lightspeed Dash (Download)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Power Conversion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Point Blank Blast)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Finishing Blow (2/3)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Power Conversion has a small dmg/heal penalty, but using it on cd can help you have the energy for Lume Slash's adv (End PSS w/ Outburst could also work if using it). For single-target dps, it lunges in, puts up Disintegrate w/ Lightspeed Strike, and uses Lume Slash as its main filler while tapping Chest Beam for Burn Through and Lightwave Slash to refresh Disintegrate. Lightwave Slash can also be used as the main AoE. Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End (and cost discount on gear, and skips gearing for severity rating w/ Dex Mastery).

An Int-based setup w/ PAccel as the toggle/form can also work in general (prob w/ INT/End/Con, or END/Int/Con), keeping most other things the same. There's also other rotations that don't use End of the Line on Lume Slash and thus won't have as high energy demands, but they also won't be as optimal at dps.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    You don't have end of the line on lume slash in that example. I feel like if I am going that route, I might as well go end PSS for overdrive and double up on the high end bonus. END/dex/con (dex mastery) And try to get NEP in there as well.

Isn't both Resurgence and Conviction a bit of overkill? Maybe lose resurgence for NEP.

One day I'll do a build with PBR.
    edited July 2019
    You don't have end of the line on lume slash in that example.
    Yea, I already edited it cause saw that I accidentally switched to R3 on Lume Slash after I posted it. Also, you keep saying 'Overdrive', which is an EU, when I guess you mean Outburst?
    Isn't both Resurgence and Conviction a bit of overkill? Maybe lose resurgence for NEP.
    Conviction is a short-cd heal. Resurgence is an AD that's an instant big heal. They aren't really the same just because they are both heals. I wouldn't really advise dropping either a short-cd heal nor an AD, though you could take R1 Masterful Dodge instead for the AD power (they both can combat inc burst dmg, though MD is best done before it happens while Resurgence is more for recovering). I would prob also suggest Power Conversion over NEP, at least w/ End of the Line builds, but you could use either as long as your energy is still high enough (using both may be overkill, though).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    NEP is a very low END recovery tool. It's like 7 END every seconds. You can forget about it imho.

On se other side of the spectrum, I link you my LS build in hope it can inspire: glass cannon, but very hard hitting : https://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/12832373/#Comment_12832373
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
    edited July 2019
    Just as a caveat: CoAP's buff now excludes energy unlocks, so you can't benefit from both it and Unified Theory at the same time. Ranked CoAP can still gain a bit more energy than UF does w/ decent End, though then you're tied to the circle and setting it up.

I'd still prob prefer Power Conversion as an easy tack-on for LS builds, esp for weaker gear, but there are many ways to improve the energy situation for such builds.
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    That -5% base damage from Power Conversion is a big drawback for a DPS, especially a LS DPS. It negates the whole point of End of the Line. I'm about to test dropping the Circle and try with Dragon Rush adv from martial art.
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
    That -5% base damage from Power Conversion is a big drawback for a DPS, especially a LS DPS. It negates the whole point of End of the Line. I'm about to test dropping the Circle and try with Dragon Rush adv from martial art.
    While not ideal, 5% is not that large if it gets you past the energy threshold easily- End of the Line will still be a dps boost then (more so if using Outburst). Ofc, if you can get past the thresholds w/o it, then there's no need for it, but much of that is just down to gear and buffs. Dragon Rush is okay if you're fine w/ adding a MA Dragon move to the build (DC is strong, if theme allows), and are using the FotTiger setup, but it does take some build-up based on toggle stacks (it also won't be boosted by Elec Form, though other passives could be used in your build).
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Yes, I meant outburst, not overpower.

I had hoped that NEP was a little better then that. Why is it that all the fun sounding powers don't actually work well.

So if I am running END PSS with the End of the line and outburst (and hardened), the goal is to keep end above 90% as much as possible. (dex/str secondaries)

Playing around with the idea of not going with Unified theory or any energy unlock, and seeing if CoAP and NEP together will make up for it. I know its a little more management/time (having to proc and maintain both with mean less time attacking, but will be team friendly. (leaning towards dps/support blend i guess)
    Use Electric Form as well. Force shield with force sheath.
    Put download on lightwave slash instead and not take dash. (have to manage mobility a little more)
    Free up some power slots. Maybe even use Radion's Revenge instead of chest beam for Burn through. (wont have it up as often but its there if I want it)

I know I am probably hampering myself just for the sake of trying to get a few fun powers in there. Wish they gave you more power slots. So many fun powers, but by the time you fill in all the basics, you have very little to play with.