test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the Emanation points system completely abandoned?

avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
Emanation points was an extremely important cosmetic-combat feature that all those years as Silver Player i was looking forward to have access to

And thanks to the Premium Pack I finally got access to this feature and realized... It's not worth it! There are not many features to work with and not all powers have access to alternative sources.
what exactly happened here?

A lot of power revamps later and this feature is still absent

Most popular and often mentioned Suggestions i keep seeing since i started playing CO
  1. Every Elemental Breath Power (Fire, Wind, Ice Breath)
  2. Chest Beam
  3. Devour Essence (to avoid the SUCC visual which can give some awkward implications)
  4. Ultimates
Gravity Driver has Emanation and they work perfect, Mental Impact has access to it (if i remember correctly) but doesn't change anything

I heard that there was an attempt for Soul Beam to have Emanation points during the Sorcery revamp, but it was so buggy they completely skip it

and once again, the Spaghetti code strikes again along with the change of DEV teams, thats what happened onion-67.gif

When did this decline for yet another CO's feature started happening?

Discuss, but please keep it Civil!
Also add your suggestion on what different

For example, Devour Essence having Emanation points that turn this instead! But at this point of the game, may as well turn it into it's own power! MEH
Force_Drain.jpg​​
POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!

Comments

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    yes
    -an answer that has the amount of effort that CO devs put into emanation points.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Was there ever an effort to do something to Emanation points?
    Can't abandon something that was never even started....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Or, possibly, it's still under way, but between poor coding choices made early in the game's history and the fact that we have like maybe three people total still writing code for CO, it's not ready for prime time yet.

It's all guesswork at this point. (My skills with the languages they use aren't up to snuff, or I'd be in a position to say things for certain. Of course, then they'd probably make me sign a contract saying that I'm not allowed to, so...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    So... another wasted-potential feature in the purgatory
    5f0.jpg

another thing
    Did the game launched with the feature or was it added in a specific update after the Beta?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Some moves should not have alternate points (would be weird to have chest beam fire from your mouth, forehead, or hands, considering it's name and the fact that it is a chest slot power for Power Armor). But, many should. I couldn't see Fire Breath having alternate points due to it's animation (they'd have to make a whole new animation for it). I wonder, if for each alternate point of animation, do they have to make a new power, like they do for advantage points (unless they changed things to not have to do that, which I doubt)? And if so, doesn't that mean they'd have to make a new power, for each and every advantage and advantage combo? I can see that being a real hassle for something few take advantage of. Out of 180 or so toons I have, and the huge amount of powers due to over 100 of them being level 40, I have maybe only three powers with alternate animation points.

I'm all for for expanding on this system, but, until we know fully how it works in the code, I doubt they can expand much on it. I mean, I have a wish for the Tailor to be massively upgraded even more so than it already has been, but, I doubt they will ever work on the tailor again, last time was massive, what I want to see done is even more so. And what I want done will most likely not be possible as with how the game engine is set up. The engine might also limit on how some powers can be set up for emanation points.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    Did the game launched with the feature or was it added in a specific update after the Beta?​​
    The emanation-point choices currently seen are, so far as I can determine, the same ones the game launched with (I came onboard at FTP, so don't know what things were like when the game was sub-only). The "feature" you discuss, however, was one that was, to the best of my knowledge, one that was mostly under discussion on the forums - folks wanted things like staff emanations (for magic staves or to simulate being a Star*Guard), or to have various powers come from the hands that don't currently. It was never billed as "a thing we're definitely doing, just wait", more "a thing we'd love to do, if we ever got the time and if the code permits".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The ability to add runes to sorcery was in the code but not implemented until the sorcery pass (it's more like a weapon thing than an emanation point thing). The general problem with emanation points is that you need a different animation for each emanation point, so unless you can just grab an existing animation (which is mostly what the existing powers with emanation points do) it's a big chunk of extra work.
    jonsills wrote: »
    The emanation-point choices currently seen are, so far as I can determine, the same ones the game launched with (I came onboard at FTP, so don't know what things were like when the game was sub-only). The "feature" you discuss, however, was one that was, to the best of my knowledge, one that was mostly under discussion on the forums - folks wanted things like staff emanations (for magic staves or to simulate being a Star*Guard), or to have various powers come from the hands that don't currently. It was never billed as "a thing we're definitely doing, just wait", more "a thing we'd love to do, if we ever got the time and if the code permits".

Was in the game during one of the betas if I remember right. So, yeah, been around for a long time.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Bird person asks questions, receives guesses, and laments the content of the guesses o3o
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Bird person asks questions, receives guesses, and laments the content of the guesses o3o
    Foxi! and now I wanted an excuse to use this gif as an reaction image

c84.gif
    Let me lament! I want to see them doing more with the Combat costumization in the game!
    Besides im curious to learn more information about the development of it so I can pinpoint it's evolution and the limitations currently with the Engine​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Birb: Hey, do you think the store has milk?

Nya: I dunno... they might be out I guess?

Birb: HOW COULD THIS BE!??!?
    edited June 2019
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Birb: HOW COULD THIS BE!??!?
    @ 0:30 Heck watch the whole thing, The Original Tales of Phantasia is full of Narm charm
    https://youtu.be/WbmCKT3XSAU

Huh, I would be like that TBH​​
    That was amusing to watch...and listen to.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    The ability to add runes to sorcery was in the code but not implemented until the sorcery pass (it's more like a weapon thing than an emanation point thing). The general problem with emanation points is that you need a different animation for each emanation point, so unless you can just grab an existing animation (which is mostly what the existing powers with emanation points do) it's a big chunk of extra work.
    This, only beam-ish things make sense really. But that's not EASY.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    The emanation-point choices currently seen are, so far as I can determine, the same ones the game launched with (I came onboard at FTP, so don't know what things were like when the game was sub-only).
    Emanation points were added at some point during the beta and have mostly remained the exact same since then. There have been a few bug fixes and minor changes to the system since it was added, but not much has been done with it. The biggest change was when the devs added the ability to also customize pet skins through the same tab.

The closest to doing more with the system since then has iirc been interview/blog responses in the vein of "We know there's requests for new stuff and we'd like to do more with it at some point, but it's not a priority right now".