test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Death Rattle predictions and reactions

For those more in touch with the lore of Champions I'm wondering what guesses people have on where the plot is headed. But aside from that, I'm just glad to see some of the attention to detail made with this one mission and what that could mean for the ongoing. It feels like an actual plot instead of just filler, even if (or especially because?) it isn't about the end of the world.
"Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga

Comments

• stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    Empyrean's are behind what's happening right now. Later we'll find out Dr. Destroyer was REALLY pulling the strings all along.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    In the end we'll have visited all the former crafting instances and we'll realize the entire point of the quest chain was to make players go to those places so they know where they are.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I'm sure it's leading up to the fixed destroyer, and maybe with some updated rewards this time around so people can bother doing it again.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    it's qliphoth.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    The clue we have so far is the pearl. Although, the color scheme of the malvan magic gaunlets were similar to lemurian power armor. That and the pearl make me guess Lemurians have something to do with it.

But since it is purple, it wouldn't surprise me if the grapejuice realm was in on it.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    We just got the purple Power Pearl. It's about of 6 "pearls". It's all about Infinity Pearls....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    All sorts of interesting, nay, intriguing theories are sure to manifest over the next few weeks. ;3
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    That "magic" has even come up again in this adventure disappoints me. :(
    bluhman wrote: »
    it's qliphoth.

Please, no more. :s
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    While part of me is disappointed in it being magic, I'm relieved and intrigued since it's being used to power mechanical gauntlets. It doesn't feel like it's a lead in to everyone's favorite alphabet soup dimension which is where magic plots turn me off.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Maybe the pearls can be turned into a necklace 😏
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Are we talking about the ZZTop song, or more something Gravitar would like to wear? ;)

That could spin into a really long series. First we have to stop her getting all the pearls for the Infinity Necklace, then all the sequins for the Infinity Sheer Top, all the diamonds for the Infinity Studded Belt, and finally prevent her from accessorizing with the Infinity Tiny Purse, lest she assemble the Nightclub Outfit of Doom!!!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Posts: 24 Arc User
    Maybe "Death Rattle" is just a heavy metal screamo band that will perform at the 10th anniversary in place of Sapphire?
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    it's qliphoth.

Isn't it all magic, really, in the Champions Universe?
  • barebones#2880 barebones Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Witchcraft does the whispering spell which destroys all magic in the universe, Game Over!
    Post edited by barebones#2880 on
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 670 Arc User
    Maybe their "backer" got ahold of my Character's Arcane powered power-armor and managed to mass produce it and are testing the different components using the gang.

That is the last time I leave my power armor at the West Side Cleaners.
    edited July 2019
    it's qliphoth.
    it's qliphoth.

Within what Champions Online has chosen to emphasize from the tabletop game's lore, pretty much. In that lore itself, most emphatically not. Yes, the rise in "ambient magic" in the modern era resulted in the "loosening" of the laws of physics that permits the development of super-technology, superhuman genetic mutations, psionics, ch'i-wielding martial arts, and all the many possible sources of comic-book superpowers. But none of those things are magical or utilize magic. "Magic" is just an enabling device for the change to superhuman, the way other settings use "cosmic energy" or "quantum flux" or any other handwavium excuse.

Actual wielders of magic, whether spell casters or supernatural beings, are the minority in the official CU. But all that diversity is just languishing.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Pretty sure the finale will involve saving Reggie the cat. It will also come with a promise that Personal Growth Magnifiers will be available for the 20th anniversary.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    It feels like the kind of plot where the final supervillain will be revealed to be manipulated by Elder Worms.

Then again, it could be a call back to Resistance with the inclusion of magi-tech and the desire for cash...either way I'm sure the next mission will give us some more background to play with.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    It feels like the kind of plot where the final supervillain will be revealed to be manipulated by Elder Worms.

Then again, it could be a call back to Resistance with the inclusion of magi-tech and the desire for cash...either way I'm sure the next mission will give us some more background to play with.
    Yeah it feels like humans adapting "exotic" materials to more mundane uses.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • I'm hoping it is the conclusion to the Crowns of Krim plotline, so we can finally put all the magic stuff to bed.
    edited July 2019
    I'm hoping it is the conclusion to the Crowns of Krim plotline, so we can finally put all the magic stuff to bed.

This would definitely be a nice and welcome addition.

Would be good to see the others.

I know the following are mentioned in game:

- Bloodstone (NPC - Qliphothic Portal mission in Downtown)
    - Temblor (Text only)
    - Force (Text only)
    - Phoenix (NPC - Lair on Monster Island)
    - Dark Seraph (Text only)
    - Eclipse (NPC - Lair in Canada)
  • flyingfinn wrote: »
    We just got the purple Power Pearl. It's about of 6 "pearls". It's all about Infinity Pearls....
    :#

Inevitable reference to Endgame. I wonder if the next pearl is psionic. Something Psimon would be trying to get.
  • jonsills wrote: »
    Are we talking about the ZZTop song, or more something Gravitar would like to wear? ;)

That could spin into a really long series. First we have to stop her getting all the pearls for the Infinity Necklace, then all the sequins for the Infinity Sheer Top, all the diamonds for the Infinity Studded Belt, and finally prevent her from accessorizing with the Infinity Tiny Purse, lest she assemble the Nightclub Outfit of Doom!!!

"YOU'RE NOT MY TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Gravitar then does a sassy hand movement and she erases Millennium City

LOL
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Posts: 24 Arc User
    it's qliphoth.
    it's qliphoth.

Within what Champions Online has chosen to emphasize from the tabletop game's lore, pretty much. In that lore itself, most emphatically not. Yes, the rise in "ambient magic" in the modern era resulted in the "loosening" of the laws of physics that permits the development of super-technology, superhuman genetic mutations, psionics, ch'i-wielding martial arts, and all the many possible sources of comic-book superpowers. But none of those things are magical or utilize magic. "Magic" is just an enabling device for the change to superhuman, the way other settings use "cosmic energy" or "quantum flux" or any other handwavium excuse.

Actual wielders of magic, whether spell casters or supernatural beings, are the minority in the official CU. But all that diversity is just languishing.

I had this conversation way back before the first X-Men movie hit the big screen. The discussion was about Miss Marvel and how Rogue "stole" or borrowed her ability to fly. The question was how "scientifically speaking" did Miss Marvel fly? And would it really be possible to borrow that power?

One of the earliest superheroes to fly was the man of steel, Superman by Detective Comics. But here is the real surprise. Superman didn't fly. According to his creators Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster, Superman was just strong and fast. Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! He could jump high. Joe made drawings of him in mid air leaps and readers assumed he could fly. After a while there was no need to explain the "how" or "why". It was just ok if Superman or any other hero in a cape could defy gravity. Readers of comic gave birth to Superman's ability to fly. We might as well say the supers can fly by magic.

My wife is a writer of fantasy, and on the rare occasion has written some science fiction. But she dislikes the research to explain the science behind a fictional machine and how it works. The point is, the machine cannot work, it is fictional. She likes her fantasy stories the most, her favorite thing she tells readers who ask too many questions is; "Because it is magic, duh!". She would say, you are just nit picking, the author is trying to tell a story, not trying to build you a time machine.
    Superman willed himself to fly.
    When Aristotle wrote his Poetics analyzing fictional drama, he made a distinction between what is possible in reality, and what is probable in a story. For example, if a premise of whatever story you're telling is that magic can change people into animals, it's irrelevant whether that couldn't possibly happen in real life; in the story it's probable that that could happen. But the premise needs to be applied consistently to maintain that probability. You couldn't declare that Superman flies by manipulating air molecules, and later have him fly through airless space. (Well, you could, but that would be bad storytelling.) ;)

Science-fiction has always streamed into "hard" or "soft." Hard sci-fi attempts to ground itself in real scientific fact as it's understood at the time the story's written, and builds the story around that focus. Jules Verne was the premier pioneer in that stream. Soft sci-fi uses unreal but science-inspired and "scientific-sounding" gimmicks as a "what if..." springboard to explore the human condition in innovative ways. H.G. Wells embodied the early stage of that approach.
    Carol "Ms Marvel" Danvers could fly because the original Capt. Mar-Vell could fly by use of his Nega-Bands, and there was an incident I only vaguely recall where someone from Kree was trying to use one of their machines to kill either Mar-Vell or Danvers but it somehow transferred the power of the Nega-Bands into Danvers' body. Rogue was born with the mutant power to "drain" the powers (and, depending on writer, sometimes skills) of others at a touch, knocking them out for a period of time whle she used the abilities; while she was still with the Brotherhood they were at one point fighting the Avengers, Rogue tried to borrow Danvers' powers, and her mutant power somehow interacted with the Kree artifact in Danvers to both put Carol into a coma and give Rogue her flight and invulnerability permanently. (Also, apparently a copy of Carol's consciousness became a permanent rider in Rogue's brain, both altering her behavior (the reason she joined the X-Men) and making her mind too confusing for a telepath to read.)

Much later, after the events of the Siege Perilous, Rogue and Carol were mentally separated again, and Carol regained consciousness. She spent some time recovering off-Earth with the Starjammers, under the name "Binary", then returned to Earth and started back up with the Avengers as Warbird. (She also took to drinking to cope, but was shocked into seeking sobriety when, while visiting Tony Stark in Seattle, she and Tony got into a fight about the booze and she knocked him through the wing of a plane on approach to Sea-Tac, nearly killing over a hundred people. After she and Tony got the plane down, he got her to sign up with Alcoholics Anonymous - he's her sponsor.) Later, during a period when I was unable to get to comics to read them and thus don't have the specifics of the story, she decided to honor Mar-Vell's memory by taking up the name "Captain Marvel". (At the time, I think Monica Rambeau was using that name, but I imagine Carol's claim would take precedence, seeing as she actually was a captain in the USAF.)

In the movies, of course, she can fly because she absorbed the power of one of the Infinity Stones, which have the ability to warp reality in specific ways.

If you're looking for a scientific explanation, you're at the wrong church, pal.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Back to the topic:

I think it'll be the return of Talisman.

A little hack to understand CSINCISSVUBBQWTF plots is "the highest paid guest actor is the murderer". The voice actress who voiced Ladyhawk also voiced Talisman. (Albeit she's one of Cryptic go-to actresses for generic female roles.)

We know the villain uses magic. Also, the villain is after human money. That rules out your aliens/qlipthoth/lemurians/weird stuff. Also, they're contracting the Cobra Lords, so it's a solo act, not an organization such as Viper and DEMON, because organizations already have mooks.
    Interesting theory, but I thought Talisman was affiliated with DEMON?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    No, Talisman is affiliated with herself and anything or one who will get her more power.

She's not really a joiner.

Additionally, whilst it may rule out Qlipthothic stuff...doesn't necessarily rule out aliens or lemurians or anything else. It could be that the villain tried taking something on their own terms and that failed, so it needs to amass money to buy (or get something else to kill for) that thing.

Also it may be someone who is being manipulated by Elder Worms or some supernatural force for some reason. Equally, CU doesn't exist without the multiverse so it could be a multiversal villain who ends up being the ultimate big bad...but for now...I personally think someone may have been messing around with Lemurian/extra dimensional technology and produced something cute to distract everyone from the real plan...
    edited July 2019
    sannia1 wrote: »
    Back to the topic:

I think it'll be the return of Talisman.

A little hack to understand CSINCISSVUBBQWTF plots is "the highest paid guest actor is the murderer". The voice actress who voiced Ladyhawk also voiced Talisman. (Albeit she's one of Cryptic go-to actresses for generic female roles.)

We know the villain uses magic. Also, the villain is after human money. That rules out your aliens/qlipthoth/lemurians/weird stuff. Also, they're contracting the Cobra Lords, so it's a solo act, not an organization such as Viper and DEMON, because organizations already have mooks.

Thanks for the diversion back, sannia1. :) That's a very coherent analysis. Building from that basis, we're looking at a sorcerer-type who's interested in standard supervillain goals like money and power. Talisman would certainly be a good guess on that basis. Valerian Scarlet is similar, so could also be brought back.

Although it doesn't exactly match the description from the lore, this pearl might be meant to represent the Basilisk Orb, a very potent artifact which was once a key element in Luther Black's apotheosis scheme, before it was taken from him by superheroes and dropped in a live volcano (but things like that never stay disposed of in comics). ;) Any number of malevolent occultists would want that, particularly a Morbane of DEMON, especially if DEMON has fragmented post-Black, forcing individual Morbanes to utilize more mundane resources. The Demonologist, leader of the Devil's Advocates mystic villain team, is another likely candidate, which would open the path to introducing more of the Advocates as the story unfolds.

However, chaosdrgnz43's observation upthread that the motifs we've seen smack of the Lemurians, makes me wonder if the series could be introducing Zorran the Artificer, a renegade Lemurian sorcerer. Zorran operates as a solo supervillain in the wider world, and desires power of all kinds. In that case the pearl could be a fragment of the Philosopher's Stone. There are a number of such fragments in the world, and some have already been found, including by Zorran; but Stone fragments can be combined to increase their power. Since the Philosopher's Stone(s) are actually fragments of the fuel core for the Mandragalore, and Zorran was exiled from Lemuria by King Arvad but is still being tracked by him, the larger story could involve Arvad and his loyal Lemurians.
    I've been inside the heart of the Mandragalore. There is a power source still inside. Then again, the power source I saw is just a really big pile of those Lemurian energy crystals. The pearl could just be a refined and miniaturized version of Lemurian tech.

Valerian... or, any of her associates from Vibora to be honest, could be involved. We don't really know the full extent of the power Therakiel gave them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I've been inside the heart of the Mandragalore. There is a power source still inside. Then again, the power source I saw is just a really big pile of those Lemurian energy crystals. The pearl could just be a refined and miniaturized version of Lemurian tech.

Yes, Arvad had recovered some of the fragments of the Mandragalore's fuel core over the years, but not nearly all of them. The core exploded when the Lemurians first tried to use the Mandragalore against the Empyreans, which is what sank Lemuria in the first place. The explosion scattered pieces of the core across the globe, where they became known as the Philosopher's Stone. One reason Arvad exiled Zorran, but is keeping tabs on him, is because Zorran is hunting down more core fragments, which Arvad intends to eventually harvest from him.

• zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    One interesting thought that ran through my head that may help or hinder theory is...when does this mission take place? Since the mission can be played anywhere from level 10 to 40, I wonder is there a set time, is it supposed to be chronologically later, or perhaps it connects to other things but is written to be self contained. All of these would affect just what villains might be the mastermind.

-Sterga
    Yes, Arvad had recovered some of the fragments of the Mandragalore's fuel core over the years, but not nearly all of them. The core exploded when the Lemurians first tried to use the Mandragalore against the Empyreans, which is what sank Lemuria in the first place. The explosion scattered pieces of the core across the globe, where they became known as the Philosopher's Stone. One reason Arvad exiled Zorran, but is keeping tabs on him, is because Zorran is hunting down more core fragments, which Arvad intends to eventually harvest from him.
    Which reminds me... the interior of Mandragalore is wrecked. They tried fixing it to make it usable, but large parts of the interior are still trashed. It is at least partially functional. I wonder if they actually understand how it works well enough to fix the flaw that caused it to fail catastrophically?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I've wondered the same thing.

Just FYI, in theory the Mandragalore is capable of creating any type of "natural" disaster, up to maximum possible magnitude, anywhere in the world. Tornadoes. Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Volcanoes. Tsunamis.
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    One interesting thought that ran through my head that may help or hinder theory is...when does this mission take place? Since the mission can be played anywhere from level 10 to 40, I wonder is there a set time, is it supposed to be chronologically later, or perhaps it connects to other things but is written to be self contained. All of these would affect just what villains might be the mastermind.

My preference would be for the series to introduce some fresh blood from the Champions villains roster, rather than retread who's already been used. Then again, my preference would have been for no magic, so clearly the universe is not aligned to my will.
    The "boss" is a he.
    [9:20] [NPC] Thunderbird: No...but...he said I'd be invincible...

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    This might be a red herring, but the costume part applied by the magic imbued gauntlets includes Malvan bracers.
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Darn...

Another villain, throwing this out there...Hi Pan. He uses magic and was technically the 'leader' of the Cobra Lords at the end of the Westside storyline. Obviously he's Asian and all of his plots therefore have to be super-Asian, but he technically should be a suspect.
    This might be a red herring, but the costume part applied by the magic imbued gauntlets includes Malvan bracers.

Normally I would say it's likely either a red herring, or a purely aesthetic choice, since Malvans as a culture don't use magic. They don't need to -- their incredible technology is the embodiment of Clarke's Law. But Cryptic has a history of bending the lore precedents to fit what they want, even if it makes no sense. In that vein...
    sannia1 wrote: »
    Darn...

Another villain, throwing this out there...Hi Pan. He uses magic and was technically the 'leader' of the Cobra Lords at the end of the Westside storyline. Obviously he's Asian and all of his plots therefore have to be super-Asian, but he technically should be a suspect.

That's a significant connection; and Hi Pan (annoyingly obvious pun, but whatever) would not have to be involved in an "Asian plot" if the devs don't care about setting-based logic. Now that I think about it, Hi Pan might be disgraced and ostracized from the Cult of the Red Banner due to his previous failure, and having to find whatever means he can to redeem himself. OTOH he's probably a relatively minor functionary in the Cult's hierarchy, so he could be used to bring in more significant players as the true power behind the event. But I do feel that using a pearl as a McGuffin in this story has a more Oriental "flavor" than the gemstones favored in Occidental supernatural fiction.

Malvan super tech? That's an interesting idea. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    In favor of it being a red herring, the villains use different models (and not all the same). I was actually suspecting Hi Pan when I went off on this side trek. Oh, the hand model is Radical.
    Post edited by pantagruel01 on
  • guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    What if it is a liaison for the Empress and introduction into the Starguard in some way? I remember they were working on that stuff so it is possible. Also could be Doc D experimenting with the stones to make a more powerful armor. I mean if a rando guy says, "hey I can make you powerful just use this stuff for me" There are not a lot of villains that a biker gang will listen too. Feels like a elaborate Doc D plan.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    The Butler did it
    it was all a Dream
    IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD LUIGI~

I predict the CO community will get disappointed​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • In favor of it being a red herring, the villains use different models (and not all the same). I was actually suspecting Hi Pan when I went off on this side trek. Oh, the hand model is Radical.

It appears to be a mix of Radical and ancient armor bracer.
  • What if it is a liaison for the Empress and introduction into the Starguard in some way? I remember they were working on that stuff so it is possible. Also could be Doc D experimenting with the stones to make a more powerful armor. I mean if a rando guy says, "hey I can make you powerful just use this stuff for me" There are not a lot of villains that a biker gang will listen too. Feels like a elaborate Doc D plan.

Cobra Lords aren't exactly VIPER or DEMON. The ones that give them these new powers must only want to use them as pawns. They themselves are hardly occultists or even well funded paramilitary groups. Cobra Lords are basically the Sons of Anarchy. Nothing really threatening about their capabilities when compared to Shadow Destroyer, Talisman, Luther Black, etc.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    What if it is a liaison for the Empress and introduction into the Starguard in some way? I remember they were working on that stuff so it is possible. Also could be Doc D experimenting with the stones to make a more powerful armor. I mean if a rando guy says, "hey I can make you powerful just use this stuff for me" There are not a lot of villains that a biker gang will listen too. Feels like a elaborate Doc D plan.

Cobra Lords aren't exactly VIPER or DEMON. The ones that give them these new powers must only want to use them as pawns. They themselves are hardly occultists or even well funded paramilitary groups. Cobra Lords are basically the Sons of Anarchy. Nothing really threatening about their capabilities when compared to Shadow Destroyer, Talisman, Luther Black, etc.

Mysterious, Large Scale Big Bad delegates to Local Big Bad, who delegates to Disposable Street Gang? It does feel like there’s a middleman involved, doesn’t it? (Oh, and it would be hysterical to see the Cobra Lords get taken for suckers again after Hi Pan almost fed Zaretti to the Death Dragon. The day may come when they figure out how low they are in the pecking order, but it is not this day.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Mysterious, Large Scale Big Bad delegates to Local Big Bad, who delegates to Disposable Street Gang? It does feel like there’s a middleman involved, doesn’t it? (Oh, and it would be hysterical to see the Cobra Lords get taken for suckers again after Hi Pan almost fed Zaretti to the Death Dragon. The day may come when they figure out how low they are in the pecking order, but it is not this day.)
    Are we sure Zaretti lived? I don't remember If we managed to interrupt the ritual before the sacrifices started...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Zaretti dropped along with Zoe Loft and Ludwig, but I think Surhoff said something about all of them being taken into custody. (I just started a new toon, Firearm, so when he gets to the end of Westside I'll check Surhoff's exact wording.)

But yeah, it does taste kind of like a middleman trying to skim some profit off this whole affair. The ultimate Big Bad is probably someone cosmic-level (Istvatha V'han, maybe? Or another Malvan trick going on?), but using a Terran to do their dirty work because that's too low-level for them to bother with. I mean, it's not like the heads of the Five Families are intimately acquainted with every hitman-for-hire their local capos contract...