test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet another question for Bulgarex

It occurs to me that there's a fairly important question I forgot to ask about while creating Kilbern Skyfather...

What symbols might be sacred to Kilbern? I've gotten the shield for him (Lady Liberty had almost enough Patriot Tokens left over from last year, so I just needed today's runs to get it), and I can put a symbol on it. Right now, it's sporting a lion, as the Spartan set I used for his armor has lions on it, but I'd like to make sure his look is as lore-friendly as the Tailor permits.
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Well, the priests of the High Church, the dominant human religion of the Turakian Age, all wore a "holy talisman" on a chain depending from their neck, as the symbol of their devotion, and usually a focal point for their divinely-granted magic. The talisman was plain diamond-shaped, typically colored blue reflecting the Blue Gods, the good-aligned faction of the pantheon, of whom Kilbern was chief; although certain sects within the High Church added other colors or patterns to the talisman.

Kilbern himself was known to carry the sword Sarclaive and the shield Defender, so if your character has such items he essentially already carries the god's symbols.
    Followup to the previous post: Generally speaking the followers and priests of the High Church revered all the gods, and worshiped them collectively. However, certain orders were especially devoted to particular gods or other holy figures, and a couple were particularly associated with Kilbern. The Fists of the Skyfather were "witch-hunters" who combated wielders of evil magic, with special divinely-granted powers. They added a spot of red at the center of their holy talismans. The Favored of Kilbern were the most exalted order of paladins, appointed by the Bonifact, leader of the High Church. They carried talismans with gold borders.
    In light of all the above, can you make Kilbern's shield diamond-shaped? That would strike me as particularly appropriate.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Well, it only comes in the one shape (you can see it in the Event Store), but I can put a blue diamond on it, and it already has a gold border, so there we go. I'll post a pic later - my computer's being a pain about launching the game, it does that sometimes. (I suspect a software issue between CO and the Radeon RX-550 video card - it runs STO at renderscale 2, and handles Fallout 4 without a bobble, but for some reason balks occasionally, and with no clear basis or periodicity, at CO.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

jonsills wrote: »
    Well, it only comes in the one shape (you can see it in the Event Store), but I can put a blue diamond on it, and it already has a gold border, so there we go. I'll post a pic later - my computer's being a pain about launching the game, it does that sometimes. (I suspect a software issue between CO and the Radeon RX-550 video card - it runs STO at renderscale 2, and handles Fallout 4 without a bobble, but for some reason balks occasionally, and with no clear basis or periodicity, at CO.)

Update: This is Kilbern's manifestation in the modern age, affected by modern humans' standards of beauty, with sword and shield. (Apologies for the clipping; with the issues I've had even launching the game, mastering demorecord is a step too far for me.)
    Kilbern.jpg

edited June 2019
    Okay, that is pretty intimidating. :o

BTW have you run into any other "divine" PCs? I was wondering how they'd role play meeting such an ancient god. (I kind of have American Gods in my mind.)
    No, just the usual half-demon/half-vampire/half-catgirl/half-dressed edgelords. Kind of sad, really - there's such a rich set of mythologies, both in the world and in the lore, from which people could choose (maybe your character is an immortal who was mistaken millennia ago for a Greek god?), and they settle for these pale imaginings.

Empyreans have been around since before homo sapiens evolved, and have sometimes been mistaken for gods over the course of human history. In that regard they could be treated similarly to Marvel Comics' Eternals, who frequently are direct analogues to various figures from myth. But the official CU Empyreans don't make the analogies anywhere near that explicit. There are also several very ancient, very advanced alien races who could have stumbled across primitive Earth and inspired legends. And of course the gods from human history are responsible for quite a few Champions heroes and villains, by either empowering mortal servants or creating avatars of themselves to act on Earth.

It's interesting to me that you haven't run into other gods among the PCs, given that so many players have come to CO after playing fantasy games. I would think that would be a natural follow-through. But I've complained too often already about paucity of imagination in the community as a whole. :s That's one big reason I post to these forums -- to try to apprise players of the range of potential in the superhero genre in general, and this setting in particular.
  • kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    Love the look @jonsills!
    edited June 2019
    Agreed. :) I don't think he'd have to have looked much different during the Turakian Age, though. It was a high-fantasy world, and that's a high-fantasy-looking character.

I believe having a blue diamond on your shield in those days, would be comparable to an historical knight having a cross on his.
  • kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    I’m looking into building a male witch based on either Meara or Salea. Still working on the backstory.
    edited August 2019
    When you say "based on," do you mean actually being Meára or Saléa, like jonsils' Kilbern? If so, your character's gender would be rather off. ;) Or just a devotee of one of those gods? In that case, for a "witch," Almandré or Varidon might make a more appropriate patron.